Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Installing office 2003

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

visaversa

visaversa

Face it...

• PipPipPip
  • 428 posts
Did anyone had success installing it at T9 yet?
Would like to know it cause it fails with my install.
Starting normal seems to copy all files but at the end it start a uninstall, strange?!
Result; no office :)

w

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

bombtrack

bombtrack

boooom

• PipPip
  • 161 posts
i have planned to install office at t12 (cmdlines-method) later on, i will post my result :)
Posted Image

Alanoll

Alanoll

CODE tags people, CODE tags!

• Patrons
  • 5,496 posts
T9 is after T12.

I have not tried to install Office from T9, but I know it works from GUIRunOnce/RunOnceEX
Welcome to the Forum! Please READ Me!!
Alright, that's it for the site for now. Now on to the next project....which could concievable replace the current site :)

bombtrack

bombtrack

boooom

• PipPip
  • 161 posts
cmdlines method; result: no office

guess ill switch back to the "[GuiRunOnce]" (winntsif) method and try that later
Posted Image

prathapml

prathapml

Follow the rules please :-)

• Patrons
  • 6,791 posts
o2k3 installs fine at t12 (cmdlines).
The uninstall starts because the install encountered an error, and so wants to restore the system to its previous state.

At T-13 and T-12, setup is logged in as "Default User" and invokes all processes done at that time in the name of "Default User". That's when it registers dll/ocx'es and generates ALL_USERS registry values. At the 10-min stage setup evacuates the logged-in space, and does all things from there on to Local_Machine or to the file-system (no user-specific processes), effectively looking at itself from above (like probably, a Near-Death-Experience). Office2k3 installs itself for the user installing/calling the setup - and at T-9, things aren't called in the context of any user.

I suppose this colourful explanation makes it clear about what will/will-not work.
Posted ImageCheers !!!   Donate to MSFN and Help Keep This Site Running
||Please Read the Forum Rules||  Etiquette   || Welcome to MSFN - Forum Basics || Before posting
prathapml :: MSFN Supermod :: Private Message me if you ever have a problem while at MSFN

GreenMachine

GreenMachine

ineXPlicable

• Developer
  • 3,062 posts

o2k3 installs fine at t12 (cmdlines).
The uninstall starts because the install encountered an error, and so wants to restore the system to its previous state.

At T-13 and T-12, setup is logged in as "Default User" and invokes all processes done at that time in the name of "Default User". That's when it registers dll/ocx'es and generates ALL_USERS registry values. At the 10-min stage setup evacuates the logged-in space, and does all things from there on to Local_Machine or to the file-system (no user-specific processes), effectively looking at itself from above (like probably, a Near-Death-Experience). Office2k3 installs itself for the user installing/calling the setup - and at T-9, things aren't called in the context of any user.

I suppose this colourful explanation makes it clear about what will/will-not work.

I thought that was such a good explanation, I'm going to quote it my own post!

Nice, prathapml.

It doesn't however, explain why bombtrack did not get it to work. No Office error log?

bombtrack

bombtrack

boooom

• PipPip
  • 161 posts
nope, no ofice folder at all, nothing. really wierd, i used this @t12 (cmdlines runs my xpinstall.)

<item display='Microsoft Office 2003'>
  	<execute display='Installiere Office...'
  	program='#XPLODE#\APPS\OFFICE\setup.exe'
  	arguments='/noreboot /q PIDKEY=KEY_REMOVED' />
  </item>

i used this argument to install office sliently on an allready installed windows, and it worked fine. i just dont understand why it wont work there. all other apps works fine. only office isnt installed.
Posted Image

visaversa

visaversa

Face it...

• PipPipPip
  • 428 posts
Nice, prathapml :)
now things are clear to me atleast the T9 stage.
Good next thing to try is at T12 and see what happens next.
Keep you guy's informed

prathapml

prathapml

• Patrons
  • 6,791 posts
@GreenMachine

It doesn't however, explain why bombtrack did not get it to work. No Office error log?

I would have thought that post would explain why bombtrack did not get it to work..... 'coz you get to know why it won't run at that stage, and you get to know when the right time is.

As for the o2k3 install's error log, look in "%systemroot%\temp" for a log (C:\Windows\Temp, when considering normal paths). If you ran the install after a reboot (logging in as user ABC), the log is to be found in %temp% (or C:\Documents and Settings\ABC\Local Settings\Temp, to be simpler).
||Please Read the Forum Rules||  Etiquette   || Welcome to MSFN - Forum Basics || Before posting
prathapml :: MSFN Supermod :: Private Message me if you ever have a problem while at MSFN

prathapml

prathapml

• Patrons
  • 6,791 posts
@bombtrack-
modifying your XPlode code for the relevant section,
  arguments='/QB-! /noreboot PIDKEY=KEY_REMOVED' />
 </item>
There, now that should work.

I would still say creating an MST file using ork (Office Resource Kit), and adding the switch
/QB-! /noreboot /TRANSFORMS=%systemdrive%\any-location\APPS\OFFICE\automate.mst
is the way to go, and should give better results than you currently are getting.

visaversa

visaversa

Face it...

• PipPipPip
  • 428 posts
or from the cd/dvd drive for that matter i use
<item display='Office 2003'>
<execute display='Installing Office 2003...' program='%SOURCEDRIVE%\Apps\office2003\setup.exe' arguments='TRANSFORMS=%SOURCEDRIVE%\apps\office2003\Unattended.MST /qb-' />
</item>

bombtrack

bombtrack

boooom

• PipPip
  • 161 posts
i hope im not stressing you guys too much now :) never used the ORK b4. downladed htem installed, and got my MST-file created. i copied it into the office directory (which also contins the setup.exe file). now i would like to know if the "argument" has to contain the the path to the mst file, or will this work to ?

arguments='TRANSFORMS="silent.MST" /qb-' />
  </item>

trying this at the moment (cmdlines method), hope it works, will erply as soon as vPC gets done

(hope my english is good enough for you guys to understand what i meen)
Posted Image

GreenMachine

GreenMachine

ineXPlicable

• Developer
  • 3,062 posts
But ...

o2k3 installs fine at t12 (cmdlines). ...

cmdlines method; result: no office ...

Did I miss something?

I still think the explanation was superb, but I suspect a different problem, no?

visaversa

visaversa

Face it...

• PipPipPip
  • 428 posts
Yes it need the path
<item display='Office 2003'>
<execute display='Installing Office 2003...'
program='%SOURCEDRIVE%\Apps\office2003\setup.exe' arguments='TRANSFORMS=%SOURCEDRIVE%\apps\office2003\Unattended.MST /qb-' />
</item>

vv

btw, no luck with cmdlines.txt to
trying "guirunonce" now

Alanoll

Alanoll

• Patrons
  • 5,496 posts
I would suggest opening up a commandprompt through XPLode, then type in the the line to install Office without silent switches, then you might be able to see an error message
Alright, that's it for the site for now. Now on to the next project....which could concievable replace the current site :)

visaversa

visaversa

Face it...

• PipPipPip
  • 428 posts
can anybody tell me why XPlode won't start from cmdlines.txt if i refer to xplode with %systemdrive%\install\xplode.exe.
The folder 'install' exist on the C drive

works, ofcourse this req. the xplode files under the $OEM$ folder
[COMMANDS]
"REGEDIT /S hkcu.reg"
".\XPlode.exe"

does not works
[COMMANDS]
"REGEDIT /S hkcu.reg"
"%systemdrive%\pinstall\XPlode.exe"

vv

Alanoll

Alanoll

• Patrons
  • 5,496 posts
well, is the folder pinstall or install on the harddrive?

perhaps they are different XML files? open them and see if syntax is correct. XPlode won't work if there is a single error in syntax

visaversa

visaversa

Face it...

• PipPipPip
  • 428 posts
well, its install checked again. Good you saw there was a difference but a copied the path from a previous txtfile thats the reason for the difference..
Yes xml is working caus its the same that is running in VMWare now from cmdlines.txt.
Still find it strange...
maybe i need to remove the leading slash
"%systemdrive%pinstall\XPlode.exe"?
edit:
nah, not posible that could work...
btw, office seems to install fine from cmdlines.txt at T12
edit:"NO it does not install" from cmdlines :)

Alanoll

Alanoll

• Patrons
  • 5,496 posts
try adding /log: to the line and see if the log is created. If it is, atleast XPlode starts

visaversa

visaversa

Face it...

• PipPipPip
  • 428 posts
ok il do that, just found the logs from office not as prathapml said in c:\windows\temp but in C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator, strange to cause it was not even rebooted at that stage.

Setup ende with error code 1603

visaversa

visaversa

Face it...

• PipPipPip
  • 428 posts
I can confirm that cmdlines.txt
[COMMANDS]
"%systemroot%\install\XPLode.exe"
does NOT work

Alanoll

Alanoll

• Patrons
  • 5,496 posts
you keep changing where you pointing.
The first one was systemdrive, not its systemroot

I've tested with cmdlines.txt from HDD, and it works.

In that howto sticky, with all those methods, i tested all of them, and each one worked

visaversa

visaversa

Face it...

• PipPipPip
  • 428 posts
true and i believe you when you say you tested and they worked, again i copied to fast from an other file.txt I used %systemdrive% to be exact.
For me it does not work and i havre to figure it out why?
Thx Alan for the help....

Alanoll

Alanoll

• Patrons
  • 5,496 posts
could you attach your XML file.

I don't mean to say you don't know stuff, but you have the cmdlines.txt file inside $OEM$ right? do you have anything else running from that file just incase windows setup doesn't even run the file to begin with?

(trying to track the problem)

visaversa

visaversa

Face it...

• PipPipPip
  • 428 posts
ok alan, here it is...
my cmdlines.txtx is like...
[COMMANDS]
"REGEDIT /S hkcu.reg"
"%systemdrive%\install\XPLode.exe"

XPlode.exe and files is in %OEM%\%1\install.

again
[COMMANDS]
"REGEDIT /S hkcu.reg"
".\XPlode.exe /log"
works

At T13 the GuiRunOnce section office is still not installing...;It does install however manualy after first boot within WinXP itself so i cant say there is a probem with my *.mst file

Maybe because of the CD layout i use as iso.
Its a multi OS boot cd afterall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN