Pavillion zt1000

RJM

Hi, I’m trying to install Win98 on a HP Pavillion ZT1000 laptop ( made in 2002 I think ) with a P3 M 1.2GHZ processor that originally had WinXP home installed. I found the video driver but I am having trouble locating the chipset drivers. I get ??? next to all the PCI devices ETC. Does anyone have any idea where I may be able to find these drivers? I know that HP made some of the ZT1000’s with Win98, I found the video driver.

Thanks in advance.

P.S.

HP is more than useless, they just list updates for the software to write to the CD drive.

One method is to determine what chipset the MB has and go directly to the manufacturer web site. If HP is no longer offering their 98 drivers (if there were any), that is the best way.

You could also do a google search for device drivers and go to some of the sites that keep old driver downloads available. You know the usual cautions with such sources, but sometimes it is the only option. Most of the time they are clean, but be sure to satisfy yourself.

I don't know, or can't remember, how to get the hardware information using DOS or Windows. Someone here will hopefully chime in with an answer to that. If not, get your hands on a Linux LiveCD and from a terminal enter "lspci" without the quotes. That will give list of most of your hardware. Assuming it will boot from a CD.

Good luck.

# 0 Thanks for your reply.

#1 see my PS in the original post, that is the only downloads for WIN98.

#3 That’s why I came here, after an extensive Google search I could only find the video drivers (took one week)

#4 Intels chipset identification software points me towards Intel's Frequency ID Utility

Which doesn’t help.

It was a dumpster dive and works real slowly on XP (Had a broken power jack) but I’ve got it up to a 33 second boot on 98SE.

I really only need to get my Ralink wireless usb adapter working to make me happy.

I forget the error that it gives me when i run the 98 install, but I;m fairly sure it has to do with the "?" for my PCI bridge install.

Will post more when I put the Win98 hard drive back in it.

Edited by RJM

Something that might help you if you can at least get a version of Windows on the laptop is use Everest Home Edition, it's almost certain you'll find the names of the drivers you're looking for and sometimes provides you with links to the hardware manufacturer.

There is a reference manual, dated Oct 2001, here:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/lpi05595.pdf

It shows the following chipsets:

CPU: Intel Mobile Pentium III or Celeron processor.

North Bridge: VIA Pro Savage Pn 133T

South Bridge: VIA VT8231

Display controller: S3 Savage 4 in North Bridge.

Audio controller: VIA/Realtek ALC201 AC97 Codec.

CD player controller: O2 OZ-163.

LAN: Realtek RTL8100L.

CardBus controller: ENE 1410

Keyboard/embedded controller: National NS87591.

Super I/O: in South Bridge.