[Help]Creating shortcut using xxmklink ?

Im using xxmklink.exe to create shortcut, but Im not using it properly or I dont know.

Im trying to make a gamerip and after extracting is completed, I want to use xxmklink to create shortcut of the game, but its creating but not the correct path of the game .exe

The code Im using to create shortcut is

xxmklink %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\Prison.Break.The.Conspiracy "" "" "" "" GameIcon.ico >nul

GameIcon.ico = the game icon file

prisonbreak.exe = the game exe file

The shortcut is created with incorrect path, this is path C:\PrisonTest\prisonbreak.exe PrisonTest\prisonbreak.exe

xxmklink.exe d/l link http://www.xxcopy.com/download/xxmklink.zip

xxmklink.exe official page http://www.xxcopy.com/xxcopy38.htm

Help me to fix this problem, or suggest me any other tool to create shortcuts using batch ?

Looking at a couple of examples for that utility I'd suggest you try this:

xxmklink "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\Prison.Break.The.Conspiracy" "C:\PrisonTest\prisonbreak.exe" . "" 1 "GameIcon.ico"

Some self extraction programs can create the icon too as part of the extraction routine and there are other methods of creating icons using Windows built-in tools without having to package a third party utility with everything else.

Looking at a couple of examples for that utility I'd suggest you try this:

xxmklink "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\Prison.Break.The.Conspiracy" "C:\PrisonTest\prisonbreak.exe" . "" 1 "GameIcon.ico"

Some self extraction programs can create the icon too as part of the extraction routine and there are other methods of creating icons using Windows built-in tools without having to package a third party utility with everything else.

Unfortunately its not working with your suggestion.

Im using different tools to compress game and using batch files extracting it, and wanted to use this tool (xxmklink) to create shortcut.

Any other suggestion ?

There really no need to use third party apps to create shortcuts. VBS scripting has a method to create short cuts.

Could you post your batch scripts that you use, we might be able to convert those to VBS, so you would have only

one script to work with.

How to create a desktop shortcut with the Windows Script Host

There really no need to use third party apps to create shortcuts. VBS scripting has a method to create short cuts.

Could you post your batch scripts that you use, we might be able to convert those to VBS, so you would have only

one script to work with.

Solved this problem without using thing party tools as you said, but without using VBS scripting but using SFX Archive.

Thread can be closed, thanks for your reply !

Edited by ZYklon

one script to work with.

Solved this problem without using thing party tools as you said, but without using VBS scripting but using SFX Archive.

Thread can be closed, thanks for your reply !

Well first of all I think it was I who said:

Some self extraction programs can create the icon too
and:
there are other methods of creating icons using Windows built-in tools without having to package a third party utility with everything else.

Also if you change the line I posted to include an additional set of double quotes, I'm sure that the original idea of using your third party utility would have worked, (I could have told you sooner had you explained exactly what had happened instead of 'its not working'; [actually it produces the shortcut perfectly just without the chosen icon]).

Here's the minimum line you needed:

xxmklink "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\Prison.Break.The.Conspiracy" "C:\PrisonTest\prisonbreak.exe" "" "" "" "" "GameIcon.ico"

where the path to gameicon.ico may need defining depending upon its actual location.

without using thing party tools

but using SFX Archive.

That makes no sense. The SFX tool is a 3rd party tool (as in, doesn't come with the OS). Using vbscript to create a shortcut wouldn't have been, but then again, a vbscript is very much like yet another tool to a lot of people (but you have to write it yourself too). Still, if your compressor handles it, then why not make use of it?

And would you share your solution with us so that others could learn as well?

Cheers and Regards

First of all, sorry for late respond folks.

Yes for sure,I'll share my solution, I created a SFX Archive and in the comment added this code

;The comment below contains SFX script commands

Silent=1
Overwrite=1
Shortcut=D, "prisonbreak.exe", "", "", "Prison Break by Zyklon"

and in batch file just launch this exe and voila you have your shortcut in desktop.

@Yzöwl

To be honest I didn't even tryed other method using xxmklink method, since I solved problem using this trick If I could say.

And you told me that some self extraction can do this, but didn't specify to do with SFX archive ...

However the main part is that I solve the problem, and maybe someone can use this method too.

Thanks I appreciate your help guys, awesome forum !

I couldn't give you specifics because you didn't tell us which self extraction program, (SFX), you were using to pack your files.

In fact you still haven't provided us with the name of your self extractor. Your solution is completely pointless to all those people searching for a solution who cannot tell from your script that you were using WinRAR.

As a side note, the solution you have provided does not match your question, you have not given your shortcut the name you specified in your opening post and you have not provided a specific icon for the shortcut. (the shortcut will have the icon associated with the prisonbreak executable not GameIcon.ico)

I couldn't give you specifics because you didn't tell us which self extraction program, (SFX), you were using to pack your files.

In fact you still haven't provided us with the name of your self extractor. Your solution is completely pointless to all those people searching for a solution who cannot tell from your script that you were using WinRAR.

As a side note, the solution you have provided does not match your question, you have not given your shortcut the name you specified in your opening post and you have not provided a specific icon for the shortcut. (the shortcut will have the icon associated with the prisonbreak executable not GameIcon.ico)

My question from the beggining was 'How to create a shortcut using batch file and third party tools' , and this game had prisonbreak.exe and GameIcon.ico,(prisonbreak.exe wasnt the real game icon, the real one was GameIcon.ico) what I did I used ResHacker to change prisonbreak.exe icon since it wasnt games icon.

After this I used WinRar to create SFX Archive and with that code, that I posted on previous post.

If anyone could not understand, I will make a video tutorial, since this thread is for making questions and not for tutorials.

this thread is for making questions and not for tutorials.

That's correct, you asked a specific question and I provided you with an exact and correct reply to that question.

You on the other hand provided a solution which didn't answer your own question, and provided with it little or no information.

You were asked directly if you could share your solution, and failed to do so, since 'this thread is for making questions' were we supposed to guess that you were using WinRAR and ResHacker?

this thread is for making questions and not for tutorials.

That's correct, you asked a specific question and I provided you with an exact and correct reply to that question.

You on the other hand provided a solution which didn't answer your own question, and provided with it little or no information.

You were asked directly if you could share your solution, and failed to do so, since 'this thread is for making questions' were we supposed to guess that you were using WinRAR and ResHacker?

What are you saying,is totally wrong, I already provided my solution, I dont know how many times do I need to explain it, I already explained it twice, If you dont get it, let me know, I'll make a video for it !

I used ResHack just to add that icon to prisonbreak.exe normally all game and other main exe's are with original icon, first time saw this one like this, and I was forced to use ResHack to edit prisonbreak.exe icon, otherwise you or others If they use this method you don't need to use ResHacker at all, everybody knows SFX Archive is created by WinRar and If I say 'SFX' it's already should be known that you will use WinRar to created it.

I'll say two things only and that will be the end of it.

1. I am not wrong it is you who have that accolade
  2. WinRAR is only one of very many programs capable of creating self extracting archives.

Topic Closed