NUSB driver problems

Click Beetle DX

Hello, all.

I recently installed the NUSB drivers on my laptop which is running Win98SE. They worked great, allowing me to take full advantage of the computer's USB port. However somewhere along the line they seem to have been "knocked out." Every time I try to re-install them, Windows decides to do its own thing and install a driver that doesn't work. In other words, it skips over the NUSB drivers completely. (Thanks for nothing, Windows - as usual.) So for the moment, I'm screwed.

I seem to recall having this problem once before with my desktop computer, and someone from this forum helped me with it. However it was several years ago and I've forgotten what the remedy is.

Any help appreciated, thanks.

That's what I would try to do. I'd try to precisely identify those unwanted drivers with Driver Magician Lite, backup them up and physically remove the inf file that's responsable for installing them. Then I'd remove those drivers from Device manager, reboot and reinstall NUSB and see if it works like that.

I seem to recall having this problem once before with my desktop computer, and someone from this forum helped me with it. However it was several years ago and I've forgotten what the remedy is.

If it was solved *here* once before, there's no need to troubleshoot it again. Does search the forum ring any bells? :P

Hello again.

The main reason I installed 98SE2ME was to get better USB support. But I haven't been able to get that going, yet. :(

After installing 98SE2ME, I also installed the "NUSB.EXE" which is the generic USB driver set for Win98SE. But regardless of this, Windows keeps installing "USBMPHLP.PDR" and "IOS.VXD" as the alleged driver for my USB card reader, DVD writer, etc. These don't work, because the devices come up with yellow exclamation marks under System. I can't use them. So... d'oh.

Obviously, I figure I am doing something incorrectly. Thus, any help with this is appreciated.

I have also tried numerous solutions to fix the afforementioned crash problem with my 56k modem, to no avail. This included disabling nearly every program that loaded at startup, checking and re-checking drivers, etc. If anyone is connecting to the internet via modem, or has the option to do so, I'd appreciate them looking into this.

Thanks, guys.

After installing 98SE2ME, I also installed the "NUSB.EXE" which is the generic USB driver set for Win98SE. But regardless of this, Windows keeps installing "USBMPHLP.PDR" and "IOS.VXD" as the alleged driver for my USB card reader, DVD writer, etc. These don't work, because the devices come up with yellow exclamation marks under System. I can't use them.
You need to stop Windows from re-installing those 2 files [uSBMPHLP.PDR + IOS.VXD] each time after you update drivers or re-install NUSB, because you need to keep the updated versions installed by NUSB 3.3.

If you have Win98 SE setup CAB files (copied by you or by 98SE setup) on your hard disk(s), it's a good chance they are located in %windir%\OPTIONS\CABS [%windir% = usually C:\WINDOWS].

Just rename that directory to something else, like C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS.old\CABS.old (example).

Then re-install your drivers and/or NUSB.

And when Windows prompts you to reinstall/restore needed system files from Win98 SE CABs [you just renamed] or setup CD-ROM [make sure 98SE setup CD is *not* inside your CD/DVD drive(s)], answer Cancel or No [or similar].

Later when you're done installing your USB drivers + NUSB, rename that folder back to the original name:

C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS

Done.

FYI:

Guide on how to copy Win9x/ME CABs from setup CD-ROM to your hard disk:

http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/software...bs/movecabs.htm

HTH

You need to stop Windows from re-installing those 2 files [uSBMPHLP.PDR + IOS.VXD] each time after you update drivers or re-install NUSB, because you need to keep the updated versions installed by NUSB 3.3.

Success!

I was beginning to think I'd never see the day when I would be able to properly use my USB storage devices with Win98SE. But now that day has come, and it's a hearty victory indeed.

Thanks for your help. :D