Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Opera, KernelEx and related matters

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
221 replies to this topic

Dave-H

Dave-H

MSFN Expert

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,105 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06
Opera 11 seems to be working fine here!
Thanks guys!
:thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

The standalone installer doesn't work, as you say.
I usually use the installer rather than do an automatic upgrade, but this time I let it do an automatic upgrade and it did work.
Am I right in assuming that if I extracted the msi installer file from the install package, that would work too?
:)
P. S. Once again, isn't it about time that this was a final release of KernelEx?

Edited by Dave-H, 16 December 2010 - 06:12 PM.

Triple boot Windows 98SE SP2.1a, Windows XP Professional SP3 32 bit, and Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit.
Dual 3.16GHz X5460 Quad Core Xeons with 8GB RAM. Dual graphics cards ATI Radeon X850 and Nvidia Geforce 210. 1920x1080 32 Bit Colour with Large Fonts.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

CharlesF

CharlesF

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Joined 13-July 08

We’re proud to announce that Opera 11 which was released today and which is no longer compatible with Windows 9x is working fine with KernelEx 4.5 RC 5. Although there are minor problems it mostly works properly.

Hi Xeno86,

what problem have you seen?
For now, all functions I use seems to work fine.

BTW, people who doesn't want to meddle with the installer can use the portable version: Opera@USB. ;)

loblo

loblo

Oldbie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Joined 12-January 10

what problem have you seen?
For now, all functions I use seems to work fine.

I haven't yet used the final build but the little issues I have seen while testing a bit (before they introduced tab stacking) were:

1) Some symbols don't display properly in web pages (the arrow to navigate previous next page on this forum for example)

2) The About Opera page is not properly formatted.

3) On saving files no extension is appended automatically to the filename.

4) And of course the missing flashing cursor issue in edit fields affecting the 10.x builds remains.

That's all I have noticed.

Btw, the build I am using as my default browser is 10.70 9050 and it requires KernelEx as well but it can load the ansi dll from 10.63 and doesn't require specific 2K compatibility mode. If I put it in 2K mode most of the the above issues appear (just not sure right now if the missing extension on saving file does).

Edited by loblo, 16 December 2010 - 06:53 PM.

slhk

slhk

Junior

• Pip
  • 65 posts
  • Joined 03-August 08
First of all, the new KernelEx Wiki is wonderful!

Now come to my problem. I can install and run Opera 11, but Chinese characters can only be displayed in the interface (menu, tab, etc), but not in Web pages:

Posted Image

the only exception is the "opera:about" page:

Posted Image

Any way to fix this? Thank you

Dave-H

Dave-H

MSFN Expert

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,105 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06
I can confirm most of the minor issues reported with the current Opera version under 98SE with KernelEx 4.5 RC 5.
The only one I'm not sure about is the cursor problem, which seems to be fine for me.

It's not only the "About Opera" page that doesn't render properly, it's also the plugins and cache pages.
They look like they've lost their fancy formatting, although they seem to be functional.
Strangely, the plugins page (only) seems to appear correctly the first time it's accessed in a session, but fails on subsequent views.
The others are displayed incorrectly all the time.

The browser is perfectly functional as before however, and as a longtime Opera fanboy, I'm very grateful for that!
The only significant things that don't work at all are java and widgets.

Edited by Dave-H, 17 December 2010 - 07:01 AM.

Triple boot Windows 98SE SP2.1a, Windows XP Professional SP3 32 bit, and Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit.
Dual 3.16GHz X5460 Quad Core Xeons with 8GB RAM. Dual graphics cards ATI Radeon X850 and Nvidia Geforce 210. 1920x1080 32 Bit Colour with Large Fonts.

frogman

frogman

• PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • Joined 10-December 07
Crikey, would it not be easier just to use Firefox, lol

Windows 7 starter - Internet Explorer 11 - Google Chrome

Dave-H

Dave-H

MSFN Expert

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,105 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06

Crikey, would it not be easier just to use Firefox, lol

Maybe, although I don't think Firefox 3 is without its issues on Windows 98, even with KernelEx!
As I said, I'm a longtime Opera user and fan, and although I have Firefox installed on the XP side of my system for web page testing purposes, I've seen no reason to start using it as my primary browser.
I'm just very grateful to the KernelEx developers for working to allow Opera to still function under Windows 98, considering its small user base compared with Firefox.

loblo

loblo

Oldbie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Joined 12-January 10

I can confirm most of the minor issues reported with the current Opera version under 98SE with KernelEx 4.5 RC 5.
The only one I'm not sure about is the cursor problem, which seems to be fine for me.

A few people users been reporting that missing flashing cursor issue all along the 10.50/60 series testing in the Opera forums and I myself suffer from it but it seems neither you nor CharlesF are experiencing it, so perhaps it's only affecting Windows ME and not 98 for some reason.

loblo

loblo

Oldbie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Joined 12-January 10

3) On saving files no extension is appended automatically to the filename.

That is the main problem.
I cannot save anything. By right-click, with the save button or Ctrl+S, the whole browser is crashing! :(

For me it doesn't crash, it used to with the previous KernelEx build but sice xeno fixed the issue it's OK here. Just I need to append the file extension each time by hand in the filename field of the save dialog box otherwise the file gets saved without extension. This is very annoying and actually the main reason why I don't use 11 atm.

lightning slinger

lightning slinger

• PipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Joined 18-July 06

A few people users been reporting that missing flashing cursor issue all along the 10.50/60 series testing in the Opera forums and I myself suffer from it but it seems neither you nor CharlesF are experiencing it, so perhaps it's only affecting Windows ME and not 98 for some reason.

The lack of flashing cursor does not affect 98SE. See this post! http://www.msfn.org/...971#entry940971

loblo

loblo

Oldbie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Joined 12-January 10
Mmmh, I guess I should have been reading that since I posted in this thread just a few posts after the one you link to but I don't think I did. Not an ideal workaround as it puts you in insert mode . Very minor issue for me anyway.

So yeah it only affects ME and 98SE2ME systems then. Thanks for the head up.

TmEE

TmEE

Mega Drive Modding Master

• PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Joined 17-September 08
This is what Opera 11 installer gives me when I click "accept and install" :

"Failed to obtain write access to installation folder. Error code: 6"

so far, only tried Win2K setting on the installer.
Posted Image Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)

Dave-H

Dave-H

MSFN Expert

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,105 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06

This is what Opera 11 installer gives me when I click "accept and install" :

"Failed to obtain write access to installation folder. Error code: 6"

so far, only tried Win2K setting on the installer.

Yes, that's what happened for me too.
I think the trick is to let Opera do an automatic upgrade, rather than downloading and trying to use the standalone installer.
Click on Help>Check for Updates and if the update is offered, say go ahead and do it.
That worked for me.
I suspect that if you extracted the msi installer file from the installation package with Universal Extractor or similar, it would work too if run by itself.
Once you have it installed, you will need to apply the Win2K compatibility mode to the opera.exe file.

rainyd

rainyd

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • Joined 04-April 05
I've got exactly the same message - simply, I've unpacked installer with 7zip, and then I've put all files to the Opera directory.

CharlesF

CharlesF

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Joined 13-July 08
@ slhk: are you sure your problem is Opera 11 related?
I mean, could be the same with previous releases.
Opera had always some difficulties with non-latine characters AFAIK, especially on old OS.
Maybe, you could check or ask on their Chinese forum or the General forum.

@ loblo: Yes, I use Win98SE, and don't have this cursor bug.

@ Dave-H: do you have any problem to save a picture or a webpage, or to log on this forum with Opera 11, like me?

CharlesF

CharlesF

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Joined 13-July 08

For me it doesn't crash, it used to with the previous KernelEx build but since xeno fixed the issue it's OK here.
Just I need to append the file extension each time by hand in the filename field of the save dialog box otherwise the file gets saved without extension.

I was still downgraded with KernelEx 4.5 RC4 due to my print problem (and I didn't wanted to stay with the fix provided by Tihiy because only 2 Dll was upgraded, and I didn't knew if it was intended for test-only or stable enough).

So, I have re-installed this so called-RC6 when it appears that this fix is only since RC5:
* Fixed: Opera crashed in 'Windows 2000' mode when trying to save file

Folk, every single problem is gone! :w00t: :D

The arrows are back in forum: Attached File  arrows.png   3.11KB   8 downloads

I have been able to save any file, with no crash and no lack of any extension! (Tested with Gif, Png, Jpg, Htm, Mht)
and this post is sent from Opera 11!

Every Opera "special" page is correctly displayed: about, config, cache, history, plugins!

Attached File  about_Op11.png   7.76KB   9 downloads

It's not only the "About Opera" page that doesn't render properly, it's also the plugins and cache pages.
Strangely, the plugins page (only) seems to appear correctly the first time it's accessed in a session, but fails on subsequent views.
The others are displayed incorrectly all the time.

Dave-H, I have tried to reload several times each page, also retried with cache emptied,
the pages are always displayed nicely now! :yes:

We can really say a new bravo for Xeno86 and Tihiy :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

Edited by CharlesF, 18 December 2010 - 06:21 PM.

TmEE

TmEE

Mega Drive Modding Master

• PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Joined 17-September 08

Yes, that's what happened for me too.
I think the trick is to let Opera do an automatic upgrade, rather than downloading and trying to use the standalone installer.
Click on Help>Check for Updates and if the update is offered, say go ahead and do it.
That worked for me.

Automatic Update did not do anything at all, when I clicked restart and install nothing further happened :/
BUT for example on Download page all numbers are gone now, and the page arrows on this forum are now squares... kinda seems I'm in a limbo state here :/

Edited by TmEE, 19 December 2010 - 04:44 AM.

Posted Image Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)

CharlesF

CharlesF

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Joined 13-July 08
Dave-H, loblo,

check your PM's. ;)
(BTW, the procedure is here: #978: Install by right-clicking install.inf and reboot.)

Enjoy.
Charles.

Dave-H

Dave-H

MSFN Expert

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,105 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06

Dave-H, loblo,

check your PM's. ;)
(BTW, the procedure is here: #978: Install by right-clicking install.inf and reboot.)

Enjoy.
Charles.

Thanks Charles, all now working fine!
:thumbup
The only thing I've noticed, and I spotted it doing a download, is that the speed readout on the downloads page seems to now be in Japanese instead of English!
Not a big deal, but can anyone else confirm that?

Also just updated to java 6 update 23, and all is working fine (except in Opera of course! :no: )

Awesome work guys!

CharlesF

CharlesF

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Joined 13-July 08

The only thing I've noticed, and I spotted it doing a download, is that the speed readout on the downloads page seems to now be in Japanese instead of English!
Not a big deal, but can anyone else confirm that?

That's right! I don't have Japanese but squares, and nothing for the size of files.

Attached File  dl_Op11.png   16.71KB   13 downloads

This have been also reported here: Opera - KernelEx Wiki:
The sizes of downloaded files and download progress aren't displayed correctly.

BTW, I have found another bug:
if I lock any tab, this one become very small and move to the first place on the Tab bar:

Attached File  lock_Op11.png   5.3KB   15 downloads

When I unlock it, the size settle down but the tab stay in first (that is doesn't go back to his original place).

HTH
Charles. :)

loblo

loblo

Oldbie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Joined 12-January 10
Thanks CharlesF, I have installed that on top of RC5 and all good and jolly so far. :thumbup

I confirm that all Opera cosmetic glitches are gone. :thumbup

And file extensions now get automatically appended but this doesn't work 100% correctly like it does for Opera 10.63 as far as the save html /mht/txt file dialog goes at least. Let me explain: If when I open the dialog it is set for saving as mht and I want to save as text by choosing text file in the drop down menu I'll need to change the extension by hand from .mht to .txt in the file path field otherwise the file gets saved as text but with an .mht extension . With Opera 10.63 the file gets saves as text with a correct .txt extension even though it is not reflected in the file path field. But this has become a very minor issue since I nearly always save as mht and very rarely toggle between one filetype to another when saving web pages.

I also can confirm that the speed in the download page appear in japanese characters. I have a similar issue with the latest version of ZDoom which displays a log in a window on starting and this is in japanese or perhaps chinese character when KernelEx is enabled on it. If I disable KernelEx then no log gets visibly displayed unlike with older versions of ZDoom which display the log correctly in english regardless if KernelEx is enabled or not.

loblo

loblo

Oldbie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Joined 12-January 10

BTW, I have found another bug:
if I lock any tab, this one become very small and move to the first place on the Tab bar:

Attached File  lock_Op11.png   5.3KB   15 downloads

When I unlock it, the size settle down but the tab stay in first (that is doesn't go back to his original place).

I can confirm that but perhaps this could be a feature of the pin tab function??? or not?

slhk

slhk

Junior

• Pip
  • 65 posts
  • Joined 03-August 08

@ slhk: are you sure your problem is Opera 11 related?
I mean, could be the same with previous releases.

I do not have such problem with Opera 10.63 (which does not require Win2000 compatibility mode)

CharlesF

CharlesF

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Joined 13-July 08

I can confirm that but perhaps this could be a feature of the pin tab function??? or not?

Lol! That must be a feature, I have the same behavior with XP Professional :lol: .

Anyway, it's not Windows 98 or KernelEx related! :angel

I do not have such problem with Opera 10.63 (which does not require Win2000 compatibility mode)

So, it might be similar with the anormal characters bug in the download page.

EDIT: Here we are: [BUG] Opera 11 pinned tab look fat tab. ;)

Edited by CharlesF, 20 December 2010 - 09:51 AM.

Dave-H

Dave-H

MSFN Expert

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,105 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06

So, it might be similar with the anormal characters bug in the download page.

EDIT: Here we are: [BUG] Opera 11 pinned tab look fat tab. ;)

Just for information, there is no problem with the downloads page display running under Windows XP on my system, so it is a Win98/KEx compatibility problem, not an Opera problem.

As you say Charles, under Windows 98 with KEx there is no size information, either in the main display or at the bottom in the progress section, and the speed display is garbled characters (it's not Japanese as I thought, that was just because a few Japanese characters came up the first time I saw it!)

The pinned tab behaviour is exactly the same in XP though, so that is an Opera issue, whether a bug or by design I don't know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users