Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Opera, KernelEx and related matters

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
221 replies to this topic

TmEE

TmEE

Mega Drive Modding Master

• PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
In my case only things that cause problems are files that have been saved to the HDD, workaround is to drag them into opera window, then they'll open without illegal operation error and the string of garbage in google. Links etc. from other programs always work in here, just not offline files...
Posted Image Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Mathwiz

Mathwiz

• 41 posts

Can't you copy the link and then paste it in Opera's address bar? That's what I am doing.

I sure would love if there was a fix for that bug though.

I happen to be using Outlook 2000 (reason is complex and I don't want to go into it here), which doesn't have a copy link, copy shortcut, or the like in the right-click context menu, so the only way to do what you suggest is to highlight the actual URL text and Ctrl-C (or right-click and select Copy). I can do that in plain-text emails, of course, but not in HTML emails. Other email clients are probably not so limited.

I've done some more research and have a guess about what's going on. I think Opera is using raw DDE instead of the ddeml.dll library. Ddeml.dll will translate between ASCII and Unicode appropriately, but raw DDE doesn't. I think Opera is assuming the DDE string it's reading is in Unicode, which is probably true in Win2K/XP; but in Win98 it's getting ASCII and interpreting it as Chinese Unicode characters.

I even tried replacing the ddeml.dll library with the WinXP version, thinking maybe it'd translate the ASCII text coming from the shell into Unicode. But even with KernelEx, all I got was Windows crashing at startup, so I had to put the Win98 version of ddeml.dll back.

So it looks like the only solution is not to use Opera as your default browser on Win98. Oh, well, you can't say I didn't give it a fair try.

Mathwiz

Mathwiz

• 41 posts
I found a solution!!

Go to http://www.coises.co...re/launcher.htm and download the freeware "Launcher" program. The .ZIP file includes source, but if you just need to fix Opera's Chinese Google problem, all you need is Launcher.exe and Launcher.ini. Save them both to the same directory; e.g., C:\Program Files\Launcher.

Launcher is a tiny program that does basically the same job as the Windows Shell, but has a bit more flexibility - just enough more to get Opera to open a link properly in Win98.

The supplied Launcher.ini has sections labelled OperaOldWin and OperaNewWin but they're a little out of date and don't quite work right. Replace them thusly:
[OperaNewWin]
command=""C:\Program Files\Opera\opera.exe" "%1" /nowin /e"
ddeexec="%1",,0
application=Opera
topic=WWW_OpenURL
IfExec=
request=1
ActivateTopic=WWW_Activate

[OperaNewPrivateWin]
command=""C:\Program Files\Opera\opera.exe" "%1" /nowin /e"
ddeexec="%1",,-1
application=Opera
topic=WWW_OpenURL
IfExec=
request=1

Now, you have to edit the registry. Go to the key [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\http\shell] and expand it. There will be a command subkey and possibly a ddeexec subkey. Delete the ddeexec subkey and its subkeys if it exists, and change the command subkey's default value to: "<path>\launcher.exe" OperaNewWin %1
(where <path> is the path where you saved launcher.exe and launcher.ini). Do the same for the key [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\https\shell] so you can open secure links too. You can make the same changes to [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htmlfile\shell\open] also, if you want .htm files to open in Opera as well.

And that's it! Now clicking a URL shortcut from the desktop or a link from your email client will open properly, whether Opera is already running or not.

Edit: This may go without saying, but make sure neither Opera nor any other browser checks whether it's the default browser. Otherwise, it'll think Launcher is your default browser and change your registry back the way it was. (OTOH, this is a quick way to reset the registry keys if you screw them up or just decide you don't want to use Launcher.)

The differences between what Launcher does and what the Windows shell does are minor, but they fix the problem:
  • The IfExec= line tells Launcher not to start a DDE conversation if Opera isn't already running. I wish the Windows shell had that feature!
  • The request=1 line tells Launcher to use DDE "request" mode instead of "execute" mode. This not only solves the Chinese Google bug, it gets rid of the annoying "Cannot start Opera.exe" message that comes up (even on WinXP) after the link successfully opens :rolleyes:

There's one minor bug I still haven't squashed: the ActivateTopic key is supposed to switch the focus to Opera if it's already running. But it doesn't seem to work: you have to switch to Opera manually. But I can live with that.

Edited by Mathwiz, 23 March 2012 - 09:37 PM.

TmEE

TmEE

• PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
Wow, I will definitely try this !

loblo

loblo

Oldbie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts

some very cool stuff...

Tops man!!! :thumbup

TmEE

TmEE

• PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
I just tried it out and it works awesome :D

I made a registry file for my own purposes

I also suggest changing Opera.HTML entry too as it controls MHT files and I got a fair bunch of them ^^

loblo

loblo

Oldbie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts
It's awesome isnt'it?

I figured out I could launch Opera from shortcuts through launcher.exe as well so after a bit of fiddling I found out what needs to be entered in the target field of the shortcut so if I click on it while Opera is already running it will just nicely open a new tab instead of the gibberish chinese:

"C:\Program Files\Opera\LAUNCHER.EXE" OperaNewWin " "

And if someone is suffering from being unable to drag an url to the desktop, an issue which I found out is older than I thought and also affects some XP and 7 systems for reasons that aren't very clear, there is a very nice workaround that's been found a while ago here:

http://my.opera.com/...c.dml?id=193574

Follow the instructions carefully, not missing creating the new MIME type and you'll end up with a button somewhere on your toolbar, I have placed it between the navigation buttons and the address field, on which you can just click to automatically save the url file of the current web page to the desktop.

Mathwiz

Mathwiz

• 41 posts

It's awesome isnt'it?

I figured out I could launch Opera from shortcuts through launcher.exe as well so after a bit of fiddling I found out what needs to be entered in the target field of the shortcut so if I click on it while Opera is already running it will just nicely open a new tab instead of the gibberish chinese:

"C:\Program Files\Opera\LAUNCHER.EXE" OperaNewWin " "

Excellent! The blank URL opens up speed dial! I've been looking for a way to do that (Opera left out anything like an about:speeddial or opera:speeddial shortcut).

Mathwiz

Mathwiz

• 41 posts
Just upgraded to Opera 11.62. Everything seemed to go smoothly except for one thing: the Opera installer insisted on making Opera my default browser (and overwriting my launcher.exe registry entries), even though I made sure the "Make Opera my default browser" box on the installer options screen was unchecked. :angry: Of course I only found out later, when I clicked a link in Outlook and got Chinese Googled again :rolleyes:

So I saved my registry changes to a "fixopera.reg" file to simplify the next upgrade.

• 18 posts
hello all
..set opera 11.62
1. do not tell how to remove the black box (see screenshot)
*I remember that once solved this problem when the opera was 10.62
2. how to fix problems with the display of speed and size of files being downloaded? (see screenshot)
Windows ME, kernelEx 4.5 final .. Opera 11.62 run in compatibility mode for Windows 2000
grateful for the help))

Attached Files

schwups

schwups

schwups

• PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
I've the problems with the display of speed and size of files being downloaded only on a very few pages. My KernelEX version is 4.5.2.

schwups

schwups

schwups

• PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
I installed Opera 12.00 beta1 (04/25/2012) successfully with comp. mode Win2000. Main problem: Opera doesn't detects any plugins on Win ME, so that I can't open many pages. It works (not quite stable), if I disable all plug-ins. Opera detects them on WinXP SP1 and SP2 .

schwups

schwups

schwups

• PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
HTML5 support   Test

A little comparison

Opera 12.00 beta   385 points out of a total of 500 points

Opera 11.62            338 points
Opera 10.63            240 points

Opera 10.10            126 points

Firefox 10.0.2          327 points

Firefox   8.0.1           323points

Firefox 3.5.19          173 points

Pale Moon 8            338 points

Pale Moon 3.6.31   188 points

IE 6 SP1                   26 points 

Edited by schwups, 04 May 2012 - 03:29 AM.

Steven W

Steven W

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
Does anyone know what would be causing the issue in the attached screenshot? It's not the skin -- does the same thing with or without it.

Attached Files

• Attached File  prob.jpg   100.24KB   19 downloads

Steven W

Steven W

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
Nevermind, Windows 2000 sp4 compatibility mode fixes it. It's been a while since I've used 98 SE so much, forgetting all the little details. :blushing:

Edited by Steven W, 20 September 2012 - 05:43 PM.

ironman14

ironman14

• PipPip
  • 188 posts

Hello,

Recently I have created a Windows 98SE virtual machine. After finally getting it on the internet, I downloaded some apps, including IE6 and Opera 10.10, which is compatible with Windows 98. However, Opera crashed on the KernelEx website, so I couldn't download KernelEx from there. IE6 wouldn't download it either. I tried upgrading to Opera 10.50, which for some strange reason was running in a 256 color mode.Although I could download KernelEx with it, once I installed KernelEx, Opera 10.5 was set to Windows 2000 SP4 compatibility mode, which is necessary. It wasn't working in W2K compatibility either. I updated my msimg32.dll, tried every compatibility mode but Windows 95 (Opera 10.10 probably won't run in W95), and also tried Firefox 3.6.28, 10.0, and Opera 11.64. Still nothing. Openoffice.org 3.1.1 under KernelEx seems to work fine. Also, Windows 98 has no 256 color mode.

schwups

schwups

schwups

• PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Hello,

Recently I have created a Windows 98SE virtual machine. After finally getting it on the internet, I downloaded some apps, including IE6 and Opera 10.10, which is compatible with Windows 98. However, Opera crashed on the KernelEx website, so I couldn't download KernelEx from there. IE6 wouldn't download it either. I tried upgrading to Opera 10.50, which for some strange reason was running in a 256 color mode.Although I could download KernelEx with it, once I installed KernelEx, Opera 10.5 was set to Windows 2000 SP4 compatibility mode, which is necessary. It wasn't working in W2K compatibility either. I updated my msimg32.dll, tried every compatibility mode but Windows 95 (Opera 10.10 probably won't run in W95), and also tried Firefox 3.6.28, 10.0, and Opera 11.64. Still nothing. Openoffice.org 3.1.1 under KernelEx seems to work fine. Also, Windows 98 has no 256 color mode.

I confirm that Opera 10.10 crash on sourceforge.net and I can't download KernelEX with IE6 on sourceforge.net. I successfully downloaded it with Opera 10.01. I've no virtual machine running. IMO Opera 10.5 is a very bad choice on Win98.

ironman14

ironman14

• PipPip
  • 188 posts

Thanks. I tried installing SeaMonkey 1.1.19 as my alternative browser instead. While it works fine, it runs somewhat slow. So I tried installing Seamonkey 2.0.14, which should work fine on windows 98/ME with KernelEx. But, it did the same thing as Opera & Firefox (the color mode). Now that I come to think of it, Openoffice.org 3.1.1 has a few spots where there is a strange color change, but aside from that, it runs fine.

schwups

schwups

schwups

• PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Did you verify your KernelEX installation with the KernelEX Tool "verify.exe" and "Ktree" (Kext: DIY KernelEx extensions topic)? Ktree must show under Core.ini kexbasen and kexbases.

Did you install a graphics driver? 

Did you try Opera 10.63 and Firefox 2.0.0.20? Set the compatibility mode to disabled.

I guess you know that virtual machines always run slower.

ironman14

ironman14

• PipPip
  • 188 posts

Thank you for your suggestions. I did not install a graphics driver, though I verified my KernelEx installation. I solved the problem on my own though. I did not realize before that my whole VM was running in 256 colors. Now it is true color and I have Opera 11.64 working decently.

Nomen

Nomen

• PipPip
  • 187 posts
If you want to continue to experiment with different browsers for Win-98, you might want to try Netscape Navigator 9.0.0.6. I use that browser on websites that my default browser (Firefox 2.0.0.20) gives me problems. I don't use higher versions of Firefox because they cause thin white lines (1 pixel lines) to be drawn across bitmapped images when scrolling web pages up and down and other strange behavior with toolbar icons.

CyberyogiCoWindler

CyberyogiCoWindler

Junior

• Pip
  • 77 posts
I have installed Opera 12.02 on Win98SE/KernelEx. When I tried to click on .htm files, Opera started with an error and garbage in a search engine box instead of starting that file. So I installed Launcher.exe as described above.

Now I can indeed start Opera by clicking on a .htm or .html file and it will display correctly. But once Opera is already started, clicking on any additional .htm file shows up that error and search engine gibber again. (Dragging into browser window works ok.) Another bizarre bug is that clicking on a HTTP link in Thunderbird (e-mail program) opens an explorer window with the root directory of partition E: instead.

-Is there a way to fix this?

For the quicklaunch icon I use this start link to avoid errors with Opera already running:
E:\Programme\Launcher\LAUNCHER.EXE OperaNewWin ""
My Launcher.ini looks like this:
[*]
override=%AppData%\Launcher\launcher.ini

[OperaNewWin]
command=""E:\Programme\Opera\opera.exe" "%1" /nowin /e"
ddeexec="%1",,0
application=Opera
topic=WWW_OpenURL
IfExec=
request=1

[OperaNewPrivateWin]
command=""E:\Programme\Opera\opera.exe" "%1" /nowin /e"
ddeexec="%1",,-1
application=Opera
topic=WWW_OpenURL
IfExec=
request=1

[WebBrowser]
command=""E:\Programme\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -nohome"
ddeexec="%1",,-1,0,,,,
application=IExplore
topic=WWW_OpenURL
IgnoreNotProcessed=1
Is here anything wrong?

Edited by CyberyogiCoWindler, 11 December 2013 - 12:19 AM.

MAY THE SOFTWARE BE WITH YOU!

*============================================================================*
CYBERYOGI Christian Oliver(=CO=) Windler
(teachmaster of LOGOLOGIE - the first cyberage-religion!)
!
*=============================ABANDON=THE=BRUTALITY==========================*
{http://weltenschule.de/e_index.html }

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN