It's been a month since I updated Opera as mentioned in this post so I thought I'd give a quick update. I finally successfully updated Opera from 10.63 to 11.51 (and later 11.52) by extracting the Opera Setup files with 7-Zip and manually overwriting all older Opera files. After a lot of aggravating time-consuming work reconfiguring Opera 11.5x to look and work like 10.63 (bookmarks toolbar on top, pulldown arrow for URL history in address bar, full URL displayed in address bar, etc.), I have to say that I'm very pleased. Opera 11.5x seems to be noticeably faster than 10.63 and also much more stable. Opera 10.63 would periodically crash with a stack fault in module KERNEL32.DLL, but so far that has not occurred with 11.5x. In fact, 11.5x has not crashed once since I started using it. There still are a few minor annoying bugs in 11.5x but like I said, overall I'm extremely pleased.
There was one odd puzzling event that did occur sometime along the way while using Opera 11.5x. I ran a registry scan and was surprised to find numerous registry errors associated with Java. Further investigation showed that all Java 2 SE Runtime Environment 5.0 system files had somehow been deleted from my system. This must've automatically occurred while web browsing with Opera 11.5x as I certainly did not delete or uninstall Java 5.0. I do recall reading an extensive discussion in this thread about a year ago about incompatibilities and problems with Opera 11 and Java 5 and 6. I probably should go back and reread that information to see what corrective actions to take, if any. So far the lack of Java has not caused any issues whatsoever.
One last thing, I use Avast! 4.8 antivirus and it did not have any false positives with KernelEx 4.5.2 as mentioned recently. That error must occur with later versions of Avast!
This post has been edited by Prozactive: 17 November 2011 - 11:45 AM