Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

NTFS partition shows low disk space

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

sameer752003

sameer752003

• 23 posts
  • Joined 19-June 11
My NTFS partition on C drive where I have installed OS Windows Server 2008 shows low disk space even when I have not installed much programs. When I checked the properties of individual folders they add up to mere 11 GB. My drive is partitioned at 45 GB. So why this error. I have used Disk clean up utility built in to windows. It could free merely 2.5 GB.Now I am unable to install any programs.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

allen2

allen2

Not really Newbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts
  • Joined 13-January 06
It could be shadows copies, pagefile, hibernate file.....How many free space is shown ?
45GB isn't much for a windows 2008 install if you installed many applications on C:.

sameer752003

sameer752003

• 23 posts
  • Joined 19-June 11
I checked the file sizes of individual folders on C drive. It adds to 11GB approx. Also I have no huge softwares installed.

allen2

allen2

Not really Newbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts
  • Joined 13-January 06
So you didn't answer the only question and don't tell if you check what i said so why did you post the same thing again?

adamt

adamt

Kwisatz Haderach

• PipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Joined 26-July 06
There are many reasons why this might be. Firstly, as allen2 has told you, the space may be used up by pagefiles, shadow copies, hiberfil, etc - files which are usually hidden from the shell unless you configure it otherwise.

Then, bear in mind you there's things like reparse points (junctions), compressed files, etc - see: Computing the size of a directory is more than just adding file sizes on Raymond Chen's blog, and the similar Windows Confidential article he wrote for an overview.

Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian

WPI Guru

• Developer
  • 8,845 posts
  • Joined 18-September 03
How much ram do you have?

The amount of space you are missing IS most likely the pagefile and hiberfile as others have said.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users