Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

copyprofile=true

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Octopuss

Octopuss

I am the walrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts
  • Joined 31-January 07

Donator

So I thought I knew how it worked, but apparently not.

What I have been doing for last months was installing from original media, booting into audit mode, customizing whatever I wanted, generalizing and capturing, and using that image as the new one. After some problems yesterday I realized how confused I was.

Do I need to use copyprofile=true setting on the ORIGINAL image I am customizing? The thing is I thought that by generalizing in audit mode the builtin admin account was saved and I didn't have to worry abouut anything else. I simply put copyprofile=true in autounattend.xml and let it install. Now I don't know if I wasn't doing something wrong. It's not that it doesn't work, I am just confused because some changes to the profile seem to be saved....

What is the proper way of doing this then? Installing from original media, and going sysprep /oobe /generalize /shutdown /unattend:unattend.xml, where the .xml is the most basic thing with copyprofile parameter in it?

Edited by TheWalrus, 15 December 2011 - 12:03 AM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

gotenks98

gotenks98

• PipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Joined 02-June 05
From what I can tell its suppose to transfer the customizations from the admin profile to all future profiles. I am not sure why it is not working for you. One thing I do not do though is install in audit mode. I just use another answer file that makes the admin account, install what I need and then run sysprep from there not in audit mode. I cant see why audit mode would not work though.

jbm

jbm

• PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts
  • Joined 16-September 04
I use this copyprofile from Microsofts technet web sight.

jbm

Octopuss

Octopuss

I am the walrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts
  • Joined 31-January 07

Donator

I guess I was superconfused about several things at once.

What I do is install from original media without any answer file at all, enter audit mode, generalize, capture.

What I found out is that Action center settings (the notifications) are NOT saved at all no matter what you do. That's one thing that confused the hell out of me. then I forgot to add copyprofile parameter in the autounattend.xml thinking it was enough to capture the original customized image with short answer file which only had copyprofile setting in it. What a mess.

arwidmark

arwidmark

• PipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Joined 22-December 05
Here is an article that explains how copyprofile in Windows 7 really works, unfortunately the Microsoft documentation is incorrect

How CopyProfile really works in Windows 7 Deployments
http://www.deploymen...eployments.aspx

/ Johan
Regards

Johan Arwidmark
Microsoft MVP - Setup / Deployment

Octopuss

Octopuss

I am the walrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts
  • Joined 31-January 07

Donator

Ha! So I was doing it right! Thank you very much.

Joshua5526

Joshua5526
  • 1 posts
  • Joined Yesterday, 08:04 AM

I know this thread is old.  Posting this for Googler's like myself.

I am also trying to figure out if copyProfile should be put in the Autounattend.xml file which is used to automate the install from the w7 disk.

According to this site: (search down for autounattend.xml)
http://blogs.technet...opyprofile.aspx

It says to not include copyProfile in the autounattend.xml file but instead to stick it in/at

c:\windows\system32\sysprep\unattend.xml

On the reference computer which is the default location SysPrep looks for an answer file.

Edited by Joshua5526, Yesterday, 08:12 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users