Why does "Loudness Equalization" Make Volume Differencees MORE

anathematized1

I'm talking about the Windows 7 (home premium, x64) speakers properties window.

Enhancements: Loudness Equalization

Provider: Microsoft

Description: Loudness Equalization uses understandings of human hearing to reduce perceived volume differences.

My audio hardware:

Realtek HD (Chipset/bus)

Drivers up to date

Realtek Codec: ALC888S

7.1 system (only use standard stereo speaker)

So, with the option turned off, system sounds and properly recorded/ripped music whatever (mp3's) all sound equal in volume level. Some web videos are LOUD AS HELL and some are IMPOSSIBLE TO HEAR. This goes also for videos on the computer that I didn't make or rip from a DVD (which have proper audio levels). Obviously this is because other people are idiots and don't know proper audio levelling. Fine, this option is supposed to fix that right?

Option on: previous music and videos with proper levels are now way too quiet, system sounds nearly blow the speakers (which I don't want to turn off), some quiet web videos are at proper volume, some are impossible to hear (some that were already impossible and some that I could and some that were too loud), then others are way too loud (again, some I could here, some that I couldn't, and some that were too loud).

Is there ANY way to get some half-decent volume equalization/levels? I'm sick of having to turn my speakers up and down, up and down, up and down...

Edited by anathematized1

Speakers:

Stereo speakers, speaker out connected to axillary input on Sony MHC-GX470

Realtek Options:

Stereo mode

Full-range left-right selected

No equalizer, no environment effects

No room correction

Default format 24 bits, 48000 Hz

Windows Playback Device Options:

Communications -

Upon detecting communications activity: do nothing

Windows Speaker Properties:

Levels -

Realtek HD Audio Output: 100%

Microphone: 24%

FrontMic: 24%

Line In: 24%

Side, Center, Sub, Rear, Front: 100%

Enhancements -

Immediate mode selected

Loudness Equalization selected

Speaker Set Up -

Configuration: Stereo

Full-range speakers: Front left and right selected (surround not selected, not even selectable)

Recording Devices

Active: Microphone, Stereo Mix

Listen?: No to both

Default device: Microphone (default and communications)

Loudness Equalization selected

I am plagued by this also, HOWEVER it seems to be the case that not all sound cards (or maybe even drivers) allow for the ability to see that option. Mine certainly doesn't (SoundBlaster Audigy Gamer PCI) however I know that it is enabled. I have known for some time that Windows seems to "deaden" certain sounds and my other software can't do anything about it. One glaring example is that certain bass frequencies cause the overall sound volume to drop for the duration of that particular sound. As a comparison, here is my speaker properties. You will notice it doesn't have the Enhancements tab... :(

And in this example, disabling the Enhancements option does nothing.

enhancements.jpg

Although I did find this reg key online might be helpful.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/WINDOWS/CURRENTVERSION/MMDEVICES/AUDIO/RENDER

Well the problem is that with or without the "loudness equalization", it is still annoying as hell and I'm constantly changing the volume on my stereo.

Like, it goes from min to 30, and I have to change the volume in range from 6 to 20. That's how bad it is, with or without the option selected, the only difference is what is louder and what is quieter.