Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Connecting my laptop to a TV

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

milos95zr

milos95zr
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 25-December 10
Sorry if I posted in wrong section, but this forum is really complicated.

I am wondering if it is true that connecting a PC(laptop) to a TV harms a TV.
I mean connecting via VGA cable (like dual monitors)

Additional Info:

Laptop:
Dell Inspiron N7110

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 2670QM Speed: 2.2 GHz,Turbo boost to 3.1Ghz, 4GB of RAM, nVidia GeForce GT 525M (With 2GB memory)

TV:

I don't really know. The manufacturer is NEO. It's a LCD one.

Thanks in advance.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,310 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05
I will not swear to this (having never tried it), but if the connections/wiring are correct and you don't over-Hz it (60hz is standard) plus use standard x-y values (resolution) that the LCD is capable of, then maybe it will be ok. IOW, you can't "overclock" it. Example - had a friend who always "toasted" old-style monitors by "stretching" the display for full-screen Excel Spreadsheets beyond what the monitor would do and they eventually went kaput.

edit - There must be a Model Number on it. If you provide that, then maybe it can be better determined.

Edited by submix8c, 22 December 2011 - 05:28 PM.

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,893 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

Definately check out your TV specs. Find the native resolution and refresh rate (or the Hz value). If you connect your notebook to the TV and can set those exact settings, you will be fine. If you can't get those settings to show up, you run the risk of potentially damaging your TV with prolonged use.
MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3-5 | lol probloms
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

allen2

allen2

Not really Newbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts
  • Joined 13-January 06
There might be also a problem with the screensaver settings, some tv doesn't like the "turn off monitor" but most tv having a vga connector are fully compatible.

Edited by allen2, 23 December 2011 - 02:09 PM.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,562 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04
OT :ph34r:, but not much ;), it hapened to me a 15" or 17" (cannot really remember make/model) TV/LCD monitor that could not "hook" the basic bootup (BIOS) screen, then once booted, had no problem with 1024x768@60Hz, quite inconvenient: if you have to access the BIOS settings you need another monitor.

And, just for the fun of it, be aware that many newish TV sets actually run Linux :w00t::
http://reboot.pro/9915/

jaclaz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users