Connecting my laptop to a TV

milos95zr

Sorry if I posted in wrong section, but this forum is really complicated.

I am wondering if it is true that connecting a PC(laptop) to a TV harms a TV.

I mean connecting via VGA cable (like dual monitors)

Additional Info:

Laptop:

Dell Inspiron N7110

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 2670QM Speed: 2.2 GHz,Turbo boost to 3.1Ghz, 4GB of RAM, nVidia GeForce GT 525M (With 2GB memory)

TV:

I don't really know. The manufacturer is NEO. It's a LCD one.

Thanks in advance.

I will not swear to this (having never tried it), but if the connections/wiring are correct and you don't over-Hz it (60hz is standard) plus use standard x-y values (resolution) that the LCD is capable of, then maybe it will be ok. IOW, you can't "overclock" it. Example - had a friend who always "toasted" old-style monitors by "stretching" the display for full-screen Excel Spreadsheets beyond what the monitor would do and they eventually went kaput.

edit - There must be a Model Number on it. If you provide that, then maybe it can be better determined.

Edited by submix8c

Definately check out your TV specs. Find the native resolution and refresh rate (or the Hz value). If you connect your notebook to the TV and can set those exact settings, you will be fine. If you can't get those settings to show up, you run the risk of potentially damaging your TV with prolonged use.

There might be also a problem with the screensaver settings, some tv doesn't like the "turn off monitor" but most tv having a vga connector are fully compatible.

Edited by allen2

OT :ph34r:, but not much ;), it hapened to me a 15" or 17" (cannot really remember make/model) TV/LCD monitor that could not "hook" the basic bootup (BIOS) screen, then once booted, had no problem with 1024x768@60Hz, quite inconvenient: if you have to access the BIOS settings you need another monitor.

And, just for the fun of it, be aware that many newish TV sets actually run Linux :w00t::

http://reboot.pro/9915/

jaclaz