How to Format Windows 98/Me for Newbies

ScrewUpgrading

How to Format Windows 98/ME for Newbies by ScrewUpgrading

a.k.a. How to NOT Fix Your Computer But Workaround The Whatever Issue You Have By Starting From Scratch*

I've noticed a lot of people come here who have an old computer that is beyond their repair. Whether it's virus infected, they installed the wrong patch and nothing works correctly now, the file registry is messed up, or else Windows crashes loading up every time. The simplest method of 100% fixing your computer is by Formatting it. This method of computer repair might seem scary to people who have never done it before, but actually it's one of the easiest things to do. And there's nothing wrong with doing it. All you're doing is deleting files. The same thing you do everyday when you delete a picture or a document. The only difference is in this case, you're deleting EVERY file from your computer. Including Windows itself. This is necessary because often Windows becomes messed up. Therefore, I recommend that anyone who uses Windows Me\98\95 in 2011 should learn this skill. Why?

Because keeping Windows 9x running in 2011 takes work. Nothing related to Windows Me/98 is "officially" supported anymore.

Microsoft isn't releasing updates or security fixes for it. And since you're choosing to use an "obsolete" operating system, if you have problems they don't have any obligation to help you. Except for a couple people at this forum and elsewhere, nobody works on keeping Windows Me/98/95 relatively up-to-date. All un-officially, that is.

There are some really good "un-offical" programs that enhance Windows 9x but I won't get into that here. That's entirely another topic. But if you run into some road blocks, and want to get your computer back to its original state... then read on.

Formatting Windows Me/98 and what you'll need to do so.

You'll need:

1. A standard blank 3.5" Floppy Disk (1.4 Mb)

2. Windows Me, 98, or 95 install CD

Step One:

Make sure you get into the habit of backing up your personal files. Either onto a CD-R disc, a floppy, or USB Flash Drive. Since ALL your files will be lost during a format, it's important that you regularly make backups.

Step Two:

Create a Boot (Startup) Disk.

This can be done by going to the Start Menu and then clicking on "Settings>Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs."

There should now be a tab for "Startup Disk". Click on it and follow the directions.

Step Three:

Once you've completed making a Startup Disk you can now shut down your computer.

Step Four:

Once the computer is off, place your Startup Disk into the A:\ drive. Now, turn your computer back on.

Step Five:

The computer should boot to the DOS command prompt. The screen should say "A:\"

Next, type in the following (omitting the quotations): "format c:"

Press enter. At this point a message will appear asking for confirmation. Type "y" to answer yes.

The format will begin.

Step Six:

Once it's done formatting the hard drive it will ask for a Volume Label. This is just a name you can give it. You can pick anything. "Fred" for example.

Now that the format is complete the command prompt should say "C:\"

At this point, your hard drive is empty.

Step Seven:

You can now turn off your computer.

Restart your computer and you'll get a message saying "non-system disk error." This is fine, it just means that there's no Windows.

Insert the Windows CD.

After you've inserted the Windows disc, type in the following simultaneously:

"CTRL-ALT-Delete"

Windows Setup will now begin. Follow the instructions. You've just completed formatting your hard drive.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DISCLAIMER

This article is the work/opinion of ScrewUpgrading only. I don't speak for MSFN or anyone else here. Follow my instructions at your own risk, no one here is liable. :)

*nicely suggested by jaclaz.

Edited by ScrewUpgrading

(aka How to Fix Your Computer)

Hmmm.

DISCLAIMER

This article is the work/opinion of ScrewUpgrading only. I don't speak for MSFN or anyone else here. Follow my instructions at your own risk, no one here is liable. :)

Just for the record, and with all due respect :), in the HO of jaclaz this nice :thumbup: tutorial should be tagged INSTEAD:

(aka How to NOT Fix Your Computer But Workaround The Whatever Issue You Have By Starting From Scratch)

Needed :unsure: Carpenter comparison:

Q. How do I replace a wooden beam of the roof?

A. It would be easier to demolish the house and start rebuilding it from it's foundations.

jaclaz

I wrote the article so I wouldn't have to write any more How To's for formating a computer.

I'll just refer back to this in the future.

"Tech Help" isn't really my speciality.

Needed :unsure: Carpenter comparison:

Q. How do I replace a wooden beam of the roof?

A. It would be easier to demolish the house and start rebuilding it from it's foundations.

Whereas, let's all just beat a horse to death and then bring it back to life. :)

I see your point though. :)

Well, if you delete this topic I understand. Doesnt' really help people much... it's your forum.

Edited by ScrewUpgrading

Pedantic remark; at Point 6, there is no reason for it to say "C:\".

More important, not to say crucial, at point 7, you're all well assuming that

-you knew what files you should backup before it's too late (like where are your adress book, Outlook mails and such)

-your pc is set to boot from floppy and cdrom before hdd, or you know how to set is so.

-your Win98 cd is bootable (which if I remember correctly is not the case for all of them). Otherwise you'll have to launch the install from floppy, assuming your floppy has drivers for your optical drive and you know your way at the command line (where to find setup.exe).

-your bootable Win98 cd has drivers for your optical drive.

-you have a valid key for the version of Windows you're installing or could grab it before it's too late.

-you have device drivers for your old hardware and Win98 (some websites might have disappeared).

-you still have all your old MS-Office 97, Nero 5 and stuffs, install media that you might absolutely want (not that I feel they are irreplacable).

-other things I forgot, but I see you're banned anyway. :}