At this point, using KnownDLLs to sub in and out SP3 modules on-the-fly became invaluable--great tip, loblo!
- Backing out the RT sub, I reloaded VC5, reloaded the project (IP.33), and clicked 'Run'; no problem.
- Subbed RT 6.10.9848.0, reloaded VC5; no problem.
- Subbed MSVCP50 version 5.00.7051 for MSVCP50; no problem.
- Subbed MFC42.DLL version 6.02.8081.0 for MFC42.DLL; Dual GPF's in DM and MFC42.
I read yesterday about MSVC interdependencies and backwards compatibility at fighting-the-msvcrt-dll-hell (See great comment by Andrew on August 9). Remembering that, instead of backing out the MFC42 sub, I also
- subbed R71 back in...and it worked! (R70 also works.)
(Note: this testing was all done with KernelEx 4.52 installed and defaulting to 'off', my normal setup.)
So now I'm worried about M*10,20,30,40, etc. interacting with R70/71 subbed as RT. I haven't actually installed SP3, so this would be a great place for a Newby to jump in, install SP3 then sub in R70/71 for RT and begin testing with older apps. Building a test suit of small apps that exercise various legacy DLL's would be a great help. I'll add this to the Wish List.