Format External USB HDD that is write-protected

I removed a working IDE HDD from a laptop and wanted to use it as an external backup drive via USB 2.0, and inserted it into an appropriate external enclosure.

Though Windows 7 HP Disk Manager lists the disk, it is listed as 'Unallocated' and not recognized in Windows 7, nor has a drive letter asigned to it..

In Disk Manager, the drive cannot initialize, format, or repartition. I receive an error mesage that says the drive is write-protected. The only option I seem to have is 'Properties'.

I have tried...

1. Registry trick to disable write protection

2. Formatting it within UBCD, using all possible 'wiping' programs, but there seems to be a permissions issue

3. Multiple USB cables and ports

Any suggestions?

-Scott

... it is listed as 'Unallocated' and not recognized in Windows 7, nor has a drive letter asigned to it

You may download the "Partition Wizard" .iso file ("Free Download Bootable CD Now!"), to burn a Live CD and use it to wipe first the whole contents of the HDD, then partition and format every partition using the same Live CD.

HTH

Possibilities:

• the hard disk encliosure is a "dud" (try the same enclosure with another disk)
  • you did not connect the hard disk properly (check re-check and triple check that connections, expecially on 2.5" HDD's a bent pin is common)
  • the laptop HDD has an "authentication method" that locks the drive if connected to an adapter that is not the laptop one

jaclaz

You may download the "Partition Wizard" .iso file ("Free Download Bootable CD Now!"), to burn a Live CD and use it to wipe first the whole contents of the HDD, then partition and format every partition using the same Live CD.

The GUI says my drive is 'Bad'. I'm thinking this is just a generic message to a disk that cannot be accessed?

Possibilities:

• the hard disk encliosure is a "dud" (try the same enclosure with another disk)
  • you did not connect the hard disk properly (check re-check and triple check that connections, expecially on 2.5" HDD's a bent pin is common)
  • the laptop HDD has an "authentication method" that locks the drive if connected to an adapter that is not the laptop one

jaclaz

I cannot test the enclosure, but it may be. I did double-check the connection, and seems fine. Authentication issue is what I had considered, but how would one work around this?

I cannot test the enclosure, but it may be. I did double-check the connection, and seems fine. Authentication issue is what I had considered, but how would one work around this?

Well, first thing one needs to diagnose the issue (and unless you have not another enclosure and/or another hard disk you simply cannot).

Then, posting EXACT specs of the disk and of the laptpop where it comes form might help trace if such a feature was implemented.

As an example (but I don't think it is your case :)) Toshiba has self-destroying hard disks :w00t::ph34r:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/225202/toshibas_new_selferasing_hard_drives_the_ultimate_in_data_security.html

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

The GUI says my drive is 'Bad'. I'm thinking this is just a generic message to a disk that cannot be accessed?

AFAIK if you receive a message of "Bad" it means that the disk was found (there is no message at all if the device is not detected).

If wiping it is not allowed by Partition Wizard it may be due to any of the causes described by jaclaz, or eventually because the device heads were not in a perfect condition and became damaged while removing it.

HTH

Can you open the enclosure and post here a link to a good quality pic of the HDD's full label, please? And, BTW, how is that enclosure powered? Just through the USB connection? Has it a pair of male USB plugs, of which you're using only one, perchance?

I removed a working IDE HDD from a laptop

Can you put it back there and confirm there is no issue in that environnement (booting from any external thing or from the drive itself), or otherwise, explain how sure you can be that it was a "working" HDD at first ?

+ have you checked the jumper ?

Edited by Ponch

Can you open the enclosure and post here a link to a good quality pic of the HDD's full label, please? And, BTW, how is that enclosure powered? Just through the USB connection? Has it a pair of male USB plugs, of which you're using only one, perchance?

My camera produced a crappy pic...I'll post a better pic when I can.

I removed a working IDE HDD from a laptop

Can you put it back there and confirm there is no issue in that environnement (booting from any external thing or from the drive itself), or otherwise, explain how sure you can be that it was a "working" HDD at first ?

+ have you checked the jumper ?

HDD condition- I removed from a laptop that I no longer use, but it was working when I last shut it down. I cannot locate the power adapter, otherwise I certainly would check it.

Jumpers- I tried using a jumper to properly set it, however, the IDE converter will not fit, as the jumper is to high. In thinking I would get the same result, I simply bent the two appropriate pins together, but no change in status.

This is just a 60 GB drive, so maybe it's just not worth all the hassle.

-Scott

Do you have a scanner? Put the HDD label down in the scanner (with the cover open) and scan it in 600 dpi (just remember not to look towards the scanner while doing it, because the light may har your eyes). Such a scan will be good enough as a pic.

Do you have a scanner? Put the HDD label down in the scanner (with the cover open) and scan it in 600 dpi (just remember not to look towards the scanner while doing it, because the light may har your eyes). Such a scan will be good enough as a pic.

Good idea...see attached, though my max file size is 500K.

Edited by dencorso
Moved the attachement to my next post to save your attachment quota space

It's a quite good pic. I've downloaded it and reattached it to this post, for everybody to have access to it, so that you can delete your attachment from your previous post (to prevent filling your attachment quota too fast). Later I'll get back to the subject, but now I'll have to go. Happy New Year!

Later: here're the specs... this may be a small step forward, but a step forward it is. :)

post-134642-0-35799900-1325361845_thumb.