Windows 8 First Impressions

JorgeA

those hacks will NO LONGER work, read the comment from the link I posted :( No code of Windows 7 startmenu = no hack to workaround ;)

Andre,

I saw that page (thanks!) but I'm not really clear on what Win8 package exactly the limitation applies to. They're talking about "Windows Server" as opposed to the "client" (see the comment by "404"). :unsure:

--JorgeA

both use the same code/same files so it applies to both.

Andre,

What throws me are the references to "Windows Server" and "client." Are you sure that this also applies to the versions of Win8 that individuals would be buying?

If the removal of the Start Menu code also applies to "home" versions (as opposed to "server" versions of Win8), then I see no reason to downgrade to Windows 8. :}

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

This is odd -- I just received an e-mail notification that CoffeeFiend had just posted a reply to this thread, but when I came here, not only was there no new reply by CoffeeFiend, but the most recent posts seem to be missing.

I did see where MagicAndre requested moving some posts to a Linux subforum, but I went in there (the "Other Operating Systems" subforum) and there's nothing to be found. :huh:

Also did a search by CoffeeFiend as the search term, and nothing that was evidently relevant turned up.

Where'd you guys go??

--JorgeA

we both agree that the offtopic should be deleted.

Metro is also the dominating topic at the Microsoft stand at Cebit 2012. Ok, I now know that I don't need to travel to Cebit. I can't hear that Metro nonsense any longer :realmad:

Edited by MagicAndre1981

Isn't the Metro in Win8 already being used in the Windows Phone 7 OS? Its strange that MS is using the Phone 7 design in their current advertising for Windows (Desktop) 7, and then they will use it for their UI in Windows 8? What will their advertising look like for 8? What Windows 9 UI will look like?

What Windows 9 UI will look like?

Considering that for Win8 MS is reviving the tiling concept from Windows 1.0, maybe for Win9 they'll bring back the Program Manager from Windows 3. ;) Oh, and the fanboys will proclaim it the BEST AND GREATEST THING, and ridicule us fuddy-duddies and haters who can't stand change. :rolleyes:

--JorgeA

Another thought I had is that Metro is the latest iteration of the concept of the Active Desktop that Microsoft has been trying to push, without notable success, since Windows 98. It went away (AFAIK) for XP and returned as Gadgets in Vista. Gadgets receded into the background for Windows 7, but are now coming back with a vengeance for Win8... to the point where gadgets are the main thing you're going to have on the initial screen.

--JorgeA

then they will use it for their UI in Windows 8?

Seemingly, they're trying to pretend that desktops, laptops, tablets and phones are one and the same, and that they should work identically. Unifying the experience by making it suck for everybody.

the fanboys will proclaim it the BEST AND GREATEST THING, and ridicule us fuddy-duddies and haters who can't stand change

But, that's exactly how it is most of the time. Someone moved their cheese and they just can't adapt. Except that here, it's a bigger change than going from XP to Vista or Win7, or Win3.1 to Win95 even. They're basically killing multitasking (that's completely insane) and forcing a backwards touch-oriented phone UI on everyone. So it's more like a Win95 -> MS-DOS transition really (no more multitasking, poor UI). It's not the type of typical whining we've been hearing for years (which is more like "oh no, they changed the skin!") I don't think you'll see too many "fanboys" of the metro stuff (even among those of us that have stayed with the bleeding edge all these years). If anything, I see people spending the next 3 or 4 years about downgrade rights to Win7. And without a lot of Win8 tablets around, Metro won't really "take off" so not much people will waste time developing for it (nevermind that it would be Win8-only apps in the first place which sounds like a poor idea in the first place -- "Only runs on Windows 8" isn't a great selling point)

Isn't the Metro in Win8 already being used in the Windows Phone 7 OS?

yes, this is this ugly Metro crap. Slow, useless animation all over the place. And Windows 8 uses this by default. You're forced to use this so often because a lot of action cause switching from desktop to this world. Becasue of this penetrating switching I get headache after a few minutes. This is really the worst UX I ever see :realmad: :realmad: :realmad: :realmad:

Except that here, it's a bigger change than going from XP to Vista or Win7, or Win3.1 to Win95 even. They're basically killing multitasking (that's completely insane) and forcing a backwards touch-oriented phone UI on everyone. So it's more like a Win95 -> MS-DOS transition really (no more multitasking, poor UI). It's not the type of typical whining we've been hearing for years (which is more like "oh no, they changed the skin!") I don't think you'll see too many "fanboys" of the metro stuff (even among those of us that have stayed with the bleeding edge all these years). If anything, I see people spending the next 3 or 4 years about downgrade rights to Win7. And without a lot of Win8 tablets around, Metro won't really "take off" so not much people will waste time developing for it (nevermind that it would be Win8-only apps in the first place which sounds like a poor idea in the first place -- "Only runs on Windows 8" isn't a great selling point)

CoffeeFiend,

Yes, I agree that this is definitely more than a cosmetic change -- they're trying to change we relate to our PCs.

I'm OK with change that actually makes an improvement. Windows 95/98 was both more functional and easier to use than Program Manager in 3.1. But change for change's sake, let alone change that makes things worse, I'm not interested in.

I'll be curious to see if PC vendors (or Microsoft) end up offering customers the choice to "downgrade" to Win7 on their new computers like they did with Vista and XP.

--JorgeA

Isn't the Metro in Win8 already being used in the Windows Phone 7 OS?

yes, this is this ugly Metro crap. Slow, useless animation all over the place. And Windows 8 uses this by default. You're forced to use this so often because a lot of action cause switching from desktop to this world. Becasue of this penetrating switching I get headache after a few minutes. This is really the worst UX I ever see :realmad: :realmad: :realmad: :realmad:

Amen to that, Andre!

--JorgeA

Forcing end-user to adapt a single unifomed OS interface is purely economically driven, not for the merits to end-user.

Nightcrawler from RHDN forum explain better.

Joseph,

That was very interesting reading, thanks for the link.

--JorgeA