Windows 8 First Impressions

JorgeA

Forcing end-user to adapt a single unifomed OS interface is purely economically driven, not for the merits to end-user.

this is nonsense. Or do you only have 1 type of knife which you use for everything (work in your garden, cut bread, meal and others)? I have so many different ones, because each is specialized for 1 purpose. Tablets with XP failed because of a GUI which was designed for Mouse, and Metro is a GUI for TOUCH ONLY and not for use with a mouse, that's why it fails on desktop/laptops.

To each his or her own - I for one do actually prefer metro, and use it in my day-to-day. Use what works for you, just be aware of the direction Microsoft is going once this hits beta and RC - if that's not for you, I guess you'll have to reconsider your use of Windows at some point.

I guess you'll have to reconsider your use of Windows at some point.

Sounds like I have to buy my first Mac then. Or perhaps they'll finally fire Ballmer and put someone in charge who has a clue, and give it a sane interface again (it's never going to sell, it'll make Vista, WinME, Zune, MS Bob, Clippy and Windows Phone look like amazing successes). Or someone's going to make serious coin selling a new shell replacement for Windows. There's still some hope left. A future with a metro-only Windows is essentially Microsoft committing suicide.

Otherwise, they just handed the entire computing market over to Apple, and everybody will make porting their apps to OS X their topmost priority.

At least we're still going to be able to buy Win7 PCs for a while, and it has years of support left to help make the transition.

A future with a metro-only Windows is essentially Microsoft committing suicide.

yes, but good news. The end of one thing is the beginning of something new. A world without Microsoft monopole. The Ancient Rome also died after being a one of the largest empires and Windows will have the same result. It will be dead :yes: MSFT doesn't want to sell products any longer, ok so they must go to insolvency like Kodak, if they are so stupid and try to sell something which nobody wants. Business = selling producs/services others need. If MSFT doesn't understand this, it's there problem.

But I think in a few years google will bring an OS for daily usage, maybe with a *nix Kernel and then we all ask, who the f*ck was MSFT.

And it's not only Ballmer, "Napoleon" Sinosfsky has the largest influence in this suicide. His antisocial behavior (censorship of negative feedback and saying that there is no negative feedback) will be the death of Windows.

but good news

Not to people who are locked into Windows-only everything (almost everybody), and will have to support that for the next 10+ years, that's for sure! If anything it'll drive people to drink.

Business = selling producs/services others need

MS is lucky they didn't really have to worry too much about that, as nearly everything runs only on Windows. You need to run [insert almost anything here]? Then you're stuck with Windows, so people have to buy it, and in the end they make money no matter what. Either ways, I'll probably buy a Mac this year to run the Adobe Creative Suite, and for whatever other work that can be done on there for now. It's certainly going to take a lot of long, painful years to fully make the switch.

And it's not only Ballmer, "Napoleon" Sinosfsky has the largest influence in this suicide. His antisocial behavior (censorship of negative feedback and saying that there is no negative feedback) will be the death of Windows.

I totally, completely 100% agree here.

And I totally, 100% disagree because the vast majority of the world doesn't use machines like we do, but that's what makes discussions like this fun ;). It will indeed be interesting to see this thread in 10 years in the light of what actually does happen.

I dont think Windows 8 will do well on PC's but it sure will give iPad a run for its money

iPad cant beat a full functioning OS in tablet form

I disagree here too. I don't care all that much if a portable device doesn't run most software -- most software isn't built for such an interface and mostly sucks. And I wouldn't want to do most tasks on one (typing text on a touch screen, painting, CAD work, coding, etc). Something like an iPad or an Android tablet (like my Archos) with apps designed for how you use it are far better IMO. And the iPad has such a head start (years, and a 40 million devices lead too, not counting the 70M iPhones sold last year alone) and a large library of decent quality inexpensive apps that I think Windows doesn't stand a chance there. I have zero interest in a Windows tablet myself -- and that's coming from what most people would have called a "Rabid M$ fanboy" until Win8 WDP came out.

Edit: nevermind that a large portion of tablets with Win8 would probably have ARM CPUs too, so no advantages there either. Even using Citrix or remote desktop from a tablet to an instance of a traditional Windows session is a better option in a lot of scenarios.

Sheez, you're kidding!?! Did he (they) really do that?? Unbelievable... :rolleyes:

--JorgeA

the vast majority of the world doesn't use machines like we do

Well, those who don't need that kind of software can get just fine by with a Mac or anything else that doesn't have the Metro disaster on it. My kids could certainly use a Mac as a "facebook computer". It would also work great for playing some music (finally a platform itunes works decently on?) and movies. Add to that the Adobe suite (and proper color/font management too), MS Office for macs (altough MS may Metro-ize MS Office too -- that would complete the suicide process), iWork, iLife, Aperture, ZBrush, Lightroom, Capture One Pro, Capture NX, Bibble, Photomatix, ACDSee, iPhoto, Corel Painter, AutoCAD, Final Cut, VMWare Fusion, Quickbooks, Ableton, Native Instruments, Logic Studio, XCode, etc (and more as time goes on) so it's still possible to get a lot of work done. They even got Steam now...

Windows used to be the OS that let you run the very best software for the job. Now it's actively getting in the way of using that same software by making the desktop a 2nd class citizen :thumbup Desktops and laptops is all MS had left (Apple and Android essentially has everything else), and now with Metro they're killing that too, by pretending your desktop is like a phone or mp3 player with a 4" touchscreen. Nevermind that Windows Phone and the Zune have been coloassal failures -- now let's make desktops just like those! Windows gave up on what it was good at, and MS is betting the farm on it.

Did he (they) really do that?? Unbelievable... :rolleyes:

yes, negative feedback on the B8 Blog is not published and than he said, that there is only a small number of users who don't like it:

"We've seen some small amount of visceral feedback focused on "choice" or "disable"—a natural reaction to change".

Also in Office he used this arrogant way to threat users like idiots if they don't like what he thinks is the best.