mcdumas

XP Install Build - Recommendations Needed

5 posts in this topic

I'm involved in a project that requires an XP configuration to be installed on 5 different models of Dell laptops. A specific set of security settings must be the same with each install as well some applications. Tools which might achieve this include: Sysprep and nLite. There are perhaps others. The high level process I'd like to pursue is:

- Build a baseline system with applications, security settings, etc.

- Use tools and processes to create an installation CD/DVD with drivers for the 5 models of laptops

- Install on laptops

I'm looking for recommendations that I have not considered. So far, I've considered Sysprep and nLite and ruled out imaging because I don't have the expensive versions that support disparate hardware.

Open to ideas and suggestions. Thanks,

rickj

nLite is for personal use only, rule that out.

learning the joys of sysprep is a good start. Next i would determine what imaging solution (wim, ghost, etc...), and what PE environment you would like to deploy from.

There is plenty of help here.

Key - thanks for the recommendation. From what I can tell imaging technology is the means to deliver the image of the sysprep'd baseline to target systems. Is that right?

What about imaging solutions that have a restore to any hardware functionality? Are they worth investigation?

rickj

Nope, playing with XP you are not going to achieve a hardware agnostic image. You will have to add drivers, but since you only have 5 systems, and they are all Dell, you will probably get away with adding a minimal set of drivers.

Any search that involves keywords of "unattended , XP , drivers" will yield many results.

imaging solution factors for me are: cost, ability to service the image, how the image will be deployed...

and i misspoke, 'imagex' would be the solution whereas '.wim' would be the end product. This has limitations with XP that you should google for a good 30 minutes if you are leaning in its direction because of the $0.00 aspect.

Edited by iamtheky

What about imaging solutions that have a restore to any hardware functionality? Are they worth investigation?

As indicated already: not required at 5 similar machines.

Which machines do you use?

Can you´list processor and chipset?

The last years multi-core chipset are used. Kernel and hal is not a big matter anymore.