Seagate in Busy and PCB burned before unlock.

Hello,

I have another problem with this never ending problems hard drive.

To make it shorter: my client have a 7200.11 in busy state, he sent it for a recovery in a specialized society. They asked 1.200 euro (tax included, lol) to recover everything. My client said no and asked the hard drive back. When the hard drive returned it doesn't spin up again.

Now, it is my turn, he gave it to me. He described the initial problem and I am pretty sure it was a busy state. I checked the PCB and there is a burned chip (not the diode unfortunately).

What to do? Do you think that buying a new compatible PCB, swap the eprom chip from the original PCB onto the new PCB and then unlock it as usual will solve the problem?

Obviously I have doubt this society changed the original PCB with a broken one, but I can't check it...........................

Hello,

I have another problem with this never ending problems hard drive.

To make it shorter: my client have a 7200.11 in busy state, he sent it for a recovery in a specialized society. They asked 1.200 euro (tax included, lol) to recover everything. My client said no and asked the hard drive back. When the hard drive returned it doesn't spin up again.

Now, it is my turn, he gave it to me. He described the initial problem and I am pretty sure it was a busy state. I checked the PCB and there is a burned chip (not the diode unfortunately).

What to do? Do you think that buying a new compatible PCB, swap the eprom chip from the original PCB onto the new PCB and then unlock it as usual will solve the problem?

Obviously I have doubt this society changed the original PCB with a broken one, but I can't check it...........................

If you can find a matching PCB and can do the ROM swap properly, I see no problem.

Of course if the unmentioned firm swapped the PCB with an "ill-matched" one and you use this latter as a reference you may have some problems, but I doubt they did change the actual label, though they could have - by *ahem* - mistake :w00t: have returned a different (another) drive.

Did your client took a picture of it or registered the serial, etc?

jaclaz

• 4 months later...

Recieved a WD 2060-771672-004 PCB from http://www.hddzone.com, swaped the BIOS, and the drive is restored! Just wanted to mention that for such a small board, the use of a heat gun may not be such a good idea. I added some flux to copper brading and heated with a soldering iron to remove the solder on the pins of the BIOS.

Recieved a WD 2060-771672-004 PCB from http://www.hddzone.com, swaped the BIOS, and the drive is restored! Just wanted to mention that for such a small board, the use of a heat gun may not be such a good idea. I added some flux to copper brading and heated with a soldering iron to remove the solder on the pins of the BIOS.

Good :).

Just for the record, when using a heat gun, it is quite easy to make a "protection mask" out of a piece of cardboard covered with some aluminium foil, with a hole in it slightly bigger than the chip+pins.

jaclaz