Cannot create an Extended Partition (Volume) on an external USB 3.0 en

DiracDeBroglie

The main decision still to take from my side is the partition layout for the drive.

Decisions, decisions, always decisions....

Everyone has his/her own preferences.

The only thing that is important as I see it is to take a decision (anyone) in an informed way.

What I normally do is to (expecially for a DATA drive):

make only one small primary partition

make as many logical volumes inside the extended partition spanning over the rest as I see fit (the more, the better)

Having DATA catalogued in different partitions allows for:

• easier selective backup/imaging
  • easieer/faster partition defrag/chkdsk
  • greater "security" against some types of wiping malware

You don't really have to have a drive letter for each volume, as you can use mountpoints allright.

Of course what I personally do is completely unlike what most other peeps do (just make one huge, big partition and let it be) which I personaly find the most unconvenient and worse than that the most unsafe setting.

A computer is nothing but a metaphor of a normall office/archive.

Imagine that you have a nice file cabinet with (say) 6 drawers.

Now what are you going to do, label drawers with (again say) "Customers", "Suppliers", "Invoices", "Projects", "Legal matters" , "Other" and put in each drawer the appropriate content or do you remove the drawrs and just stack everything inside the resulting "empty" cabinet? :unsure:

JFYI:

jaclaz

I'm also in the opinion to partition the drive in several partitions. I think you have a strong point (in your link) favoring logical drives in a extented partition. Extended partitions have their own EPBRs inside the extended partition and not on sector 1, where any accidents in sec1 or track0 could cause lot of hassle. Logical drives should therefore be easier to repair in case of havoc. Actually, I recently learned that GPT partitions have similar protection as the 34 GPT primary sectors have a 34 secundary sector backup at the other end of the drive.

Things might be different with virusses. Only "dumb" virusses may limit themselves to destroyng sec1, track0 thereby making it relatively easy to reconstruct logical MBR partitions and GPT partitions. However, I never heared about "dumb" virusses---they are all smart; so it likely that bad intentions on the drive will just wipe out ALL partition info where ever on the drive.

By the way, aren't there any tools available that could backup (onto another medium) the MBR or GPT of a drive and restore it in case of trouble?

Johan

Edited by DiracDeBroglie