Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Hyper-V VM Starter Template?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

jayarr

jayarr
  • 2 posts
Hello,

I have a test environment involving multiple virtual domain controllers in Hyper-V. How do a make an image of a VM that will also work as a DC? When I export the virtual machine and make new ones off of that I get no bueno errors because the GUIDs are the same. I need to make multiple virtiual machines, preferably starting from a set point like the second reboot after WS2008R2 install.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

cluberti

cluberti

Gustatus similis pullus

• Supervisor
  • 11,250 posts
You need to run sysprep on the parent VM (and don't install any roles beforehand - just install the OS, patch, and run sysprep). Once sysprep completes and shuts down the VM, you will now have your "parent" VHD you can use to create new VM copies or differencing disks off of. You can use dism from the command line to enable/install roles if you want to do it in an automated fashion later on, or you can simply use the GUI if it isn't a server core OS (but for DCs, I would strongly recommend considering server core, especially virtualized hosts).
MCTS Windows Internals, MCITP Server 2008 EA, MCTS MDT/BDD, MCSE/MCSA Server 2003, Server 2012, Windows 8
--------------------
Please read the rules before posting!
Please consider donating to MSFN to keep it up and running!

jayarr

jayarr
  • 2 posts
Thanks. That is exactly what I needed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN