Make a recovery disc from a Toshiba Recovery Partition

Using SWM files to recover my drive.

Hello everyone I’m here to share a simple process that could help hundreds of people that have the same problem I had today. I have a Toshiba Laptop and the drive was going bad. So I tried to reset to factory so that I could clone the drive. But while in the factory reset process the system froze and forced me to reboot! Yep that’s right I lost the factory reset option!

Luckily I was able to copy the swm ( 13 files in all ) files from the D:\HDDRecovery\ zzimage folder from the Toshiba recovery partition to a flash drive. Then I created a bat file named “ resettofactory.bat “ in notepad to use imagex to apply the swm files to the main drive partition.

My batch file command “ imagex /ref PREINST*.SWM /apply PREINST.SWM 1 C:\ ”

Then I edited a iso of a Windows 7 repair cd and placed all the swm files along with imagex and it’s associate files to a folder named Factoryreset in the root directory on the iso, then burned to dvd. Yep works like the manufactures recovery discs .

I boot to dvd

then click on “ repair your computer “

then click on “ Command Prompt “

then X:\Sources> displays

then switch to my dvd drive letter

and type “ cd factoryreset “ and press enter button to switch to factoryreset folder where the files are to recovery my computer. Then I just typed resettofactory then pressed the enter button and it starts. You will see a progress bar 100% when done then reboot that’s it. Their it is, a way to make your own factory recovery disc from a Toshiba recovery partition

• 7 months later...

Thank you for your guide. I really appreciate your help.

In the spirit of sharing, I would like to share my way, which came from your guidance.

First of all, your DVD method is the GOLD.

In my case, I was in quick need of restoring the image so I did not make the DVD. So, I copied the file called imagex.exe into the folders that was holding all the file .SWM.

Then, I ran your command and it worked.

I had a VISTA installation disk, which allowed me to boot from DVD into menu with option COMMAND PROMPT.

At command prompt, I saw X:\ (which is the folder of the DVD.)

To get to the folder of that was holding files .SWM, I typed d:\

then, to go into the folder that was holding my TOSHIBA's .SWM files, I typed CD ZZIMG

In the folder, I found my file called imagex.exe (which I put in the folder) and all files that end with .SWM (which TOSHIBA put in the folder.)

I ran your command and it worked.

imagex /ref PREINST*.SWM /apply PREINST.SWM 1 C:\

Thank you very much.

Again, your DVD method is the GOLD.

My method is just a way that may be handy if anyone would like to follow your way right away.

I am now making my DVD the way you taught. Thank you very much again. Please continue to share and help others.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

ok I have tried this method and the DVD's wont work for me I did like this post suggests and put the folder "Factoryreset" in the root of a Windoes 7 repair and when I booted it up got an error message stating that I needed to put in a bootable media device. tried it where I used the Windows 7 repair disk without the extra and was able to put the dvd with the SWM files on it into the drive but got another error. So what am I doing wrong here?

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by pnieset

ok I have tried this method and the DVD's wont work for me I did like this post suggests and put the folder "Factoryreset" in the root of a Windoes 7 repair and when I booted it up got an error message stating that I needed to put in a bootable media device. tried it where I used the Windows 7 repair disk without the extra and was able to put the dvd with the SWM files on it into the drive but got another error. So what am I doing wrong here?

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Two mistakes:

1. you are panicking :w00t: (you should not :))
  2. you are failing to report how EXACTLY you "put the folder "Factoryreset" in the root of a Windoes 7 repair", etc.

Most probably you used an incorrect method or tool to modify the Windows 7 "repair" .iso, thus making it not bootable.

jaclaz

Yes, pnieset

Firstly, you probably got something wrong during make a bootable disk. You can use Ultra ISO or Power ISO software to edit the original setup disk, then built to ISO file. Later, you burn this ISO file to disk. This is simple way to do but will not make you confuse.

The second thing is that you need to check the Folder name that holding the SWM file or image.exe because as my notice, some Toshiba model has difference folder in name. You can refer this valuable topic to do similar thing for you

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Simplest Method

If you still have HDD Recovery on partition D, you can make Recovery Disc as normal by using Toshiba Recovery Disk Creator software :

Link Download

If you cannot login to Windows, just install temporary Windows 7 then install this software to burn the Recovery Disc. You need to prepare 2 DVDs.

After burning successfully the 2 disks, chose option boot by CD then follow the screen. It takes almost 2 hours for completing all setting up.

I had the same situation and also had success with this method just few days ago.

Good luck.

Edited by kohlerbkqn

Ok not panicking just getting frustrated. I cannot use the recovery partition because the drive was a total loss I was able to get the recovery files and some of the personal files off the drive using a Ubuntu LiveCD. The recovery partition was called "HDDRECOVERY" could I use that as the folder name in my recovery cd's? I am trying to create some recovery disk's for the person who owns this laptop so if this happens again I have them at hand.

I used the command that was used in the firstt post on how to do this.

My batch file command “ imagex /ref PREINST*.SWM /apply PREINST.SWM 1 C:\ ”

I put it in a batch file created using notepad and called it "resettofactory.bat"

I then put it and the SWM files into a folder called "factoryreset"

Should I have just called the folder "HDDRecovery" and then another folder called zzimage?

@pnieset

You still fail to report how EXACTLY (with which tools, with which commands, etc., i.e. EXACTLY) you attempted to add those files to a DVD.

The error message you posted seems about a non-bootable DVD, but is confused and misses any meaningful detail:

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Try to read it with an objective mind :), how do you suppose that anyone can guess what you have done (and further than that guess which is the issue at hand)?

kohlerbkqn seemingly posted about the "official" Toshiba method to create the install/recovery media on DVD, about which you may read about here:

https://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/bulletinDetail.jsp?soid=2753749&pf=true

Why don't you give it a try?

If it works it is completely automated.

jaclaz

• 4 months later...

my preinst files are over 10 gb there is 17 swm files in the zzimage folder, what do i do, also tried the second method and i cannot cd to my usb hard drive. have to use usb hard drive cause its the only media i have where i can store all swm files.

my preinst files are over 10 gb there is 17 swm files in the zzimage folder, what do i do, also tried the second method and i cannot cd to my usb hard drive. have to use usb hard drive cause its the only media i have where i can store all swm files.

Well, just like the member right above you, you are failing to provide any meaningful detail to try and help you, if it is a "generic" rant is OK :), if you need assistance do provide a DETAILED, EXHAUSTIVE, ACCURATE descripotion of what you have, what you did, what happened, standard litany:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com./jonathan.deboynepollard/FGA/problem-report-standard-litany.html

jaclaz

Just a question, If I use the procedure described in the first post, will be possible to regain the HDDRECOVERY in a hidden partition on the HDD like when it came from factory? or, it is just a way to reinstall the OS and proprietary software?

ty in advance. (ringrazio in anticipo)

Edited by bttnzz

i dont know what you mean I told you that the file i copied from the HHDRECOVERY are over 10gbs ,therefore I cannot burn the dvd/cd, so I was asking what other method to use, but I figured out that if I use my 500gb usb hdd and partititon it with a 15gb FAT32, I managed to get it to load but , then where you see the progress bar , it got to 100 and I restarted. But system still didnt load, So finally tried a changing my internal HDD and installed windows from usb and it worked. So basically the problem was that my system hard drive was currupt and had bad sectors , but when I hooked it up to other pc windows said the drive was healthy. Only reason I seen the bad sectors was after running a CHKDSK /R on it. I have resolved my problem.

BUt I have a question on a similar subject is it possible to repair bad sectors on a hard drive and if so what program, also is it possible to rebuild the TOSHIBA SYSTEM and HDDRECOVERY partitions on a fresh hard drive?

far as bad sectors just select the thing in Windows explorer and choose properties then Tools and then Check Now

select both boxes and reboot

post-9484-0-89080100-1364100175_thumb.pn

file i copied from the HHDRECOVERY are over 10gbs

so think about that. A windows 7 dvd is about 2.5 to 3.60 GB

The recovery partitions are images in other words installed systems like Acronis or Macrium Reflect would do or even Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Backup and Restore image

You can create those recovery partitions but why?

Just use a backup system of your own without all the OEM junk crap they install. Acronis or Macrium Reflect Free are good choices and even the Windows Backup and Restore works but I prefer Acronis for many years

Edited by maxXPsoft

Just use a backup system of your own without all the OEM junk crap they install. Acronis or Macrium Reflect Free are good choices and even the Windows Backup and Restore works but I prefer Acronis for many years

A lot of people that use those tools are having difficulty when using them on Ultrabooks because of the specific partition sizes, extra software. In my opinion, Ultrabook is a failure in this respect.