Can you update a BartPE disc instead of doing the whole process each t

vipejc

I burnt a BartPE disc last year using Windows XP with SP3 and even added third-party SATA drivers. Well, now I have newer file versions for one of my plug-ins, so I want to update and reburn the disc. But I have a few questions:

1. Is it possible to simply delete the older file versions inside a subfolder of BartPE's "plugins" folder and drag and drop the newer file versions in their place, without having to do the whole make-a-Bart-PE process again, and then burn the disc? Or, no because Bart or the plug-in's software creates automated configuration files?

2. Do I have to set the disc as bootable in my burner software, even though the disc is already bootable?

Some plugins that may be possible, but many of them add files in other locations like a full software install might.

Better off starting from scratch.

That's what I feared, and so I asked to prevent burning a coaster. I'm just glad there's no more updates to my one and only plug-in. And why am I the guy with most questions that have no answers on Google? All the more reason to join MSFN, you lurkers. :D

PEBuilder takes less than 10minutes to run and make iso on my old Sempron... B)

2) you don't burn a bootable cd, you burn "IMAGE".

Yes, but to make a disc bootable, you need to set your burning software as El Torito.

Yes, but to make a disc bootable, you need to set your burning software as El Torito.

Since when? :w00t:

The result of running BartPE is a bootable .iso, you simply "burn" the .iso to CD/DVD.

And BTW it uses (just like Windows install) No-Emulation mode, possible settings for a bootable iso are normally called:

1. El-torito Floppy Emulation mode
  2. No emulation mode
  3. El-Torito hard disk emulation mode

but this is already managed by the mkisofs when you build the .iso which is nothing but a sector-by sector image of the CD/DVD.

And for a simple plugin there is also the F5 option in Bart's PEBuilder, which will recreate the .iso from the original BartPE folder (modified with the new plugin).

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Since when? :w00t:

The result of running BartPE is a bootable .iso, you simply "burn" the .iso to CD/DVD.

And BTW it uses (just like Windows install) No-Emulation mode, possible settings for a bootable iso are normally called:

1. El-torito Floppy Emulation mode
  2. No emulation mode
  3. El-Torito hard disk emulation mode

but this is already managed by the mkisofs when you build the .iso which is nothing but a sector-by sector image of the CD/DVD.

And for a simple plugin there is also the F5 option in Bart's PEBuilder, which will recreate the .iso from the original BartPE folder (modified with the new plugin).

jaclaz

I know BartPE either creates an .ISO or uses its built-in burner to write the disc, but my question is do you need to set the disc as El Torito every time you update the disc, or once is enough?

but my question is do you need to set the disc as El Torito every time you update the disc, or once is enough?

Nowhere in BartPE do I see any reference to ElTorito (and as Jaclaz explained, it doesn't apply anyway).

If you really created a cd last year, you might remember that you did not use any ElTorito settings anywhere, so the answer is "none is enough".

Once the ISO is created (if you use own burning software), just burn the ISO, not put the iso file on a cd, but burn "the iso image" to a cd.

The iso IS a bootable CD ('s image) and that CD does not need any modification (like "making it" bootable by adding anything).

If still unsure, tell us what burning software you are using and someone will tell you what menu to use.

PEbuilder doesn't update the disc or .iso so everytime you create the iso with pebuilder you need to set the right settings.

There are NO settings for the .iso creation! :realmad:

Bart's PEbuilder provides itself the right parameters to mkisofs.exe.

You can only choose:

1. the name of the .iso
  2. build the .iso or not
  3. additionally burn the .iso to CD or not

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/help/english/main.htm

http://www.lazesoft.com/how-to-create-bartpe-bootable-cd-reset-administrator-password.html

Usage of F5:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=21027&st=6

jaclaz

Jaclaz and Ponch, I must not have been clear. I know what BartPE and an .ISO is. And yes, BartPE doesn't have an El Torito setting, but El Torito is what makes optical media bootable. Bart's F5 option won't work because I deleted BartPE years ago, since I used it just once. My objective is to load my existing BartPE disc, use Windows Explorer to delete three files from the desired plug-in's folder which is a subfolder in Bart's "plugin" folder. Then I want to copy and paste the three newer files in their place. And finally, I want to reburn the disc. Is this possible, or must I build another BartPE disc from scratch? Somebody told me I must start from scratch because the disc was finalized, but I use RW media and that can be rewritten to about 1,000 times, so how could finalizing RW media prevent future rewrites?

Jaclaz and Ponch, I must not have been clear. I know what BartPE and an .ISO is.

You didn't sound like it.

And yes, BartPE doesn't have an El Torito setting, but El Torito is what makes optical media bootable.

As you were just told, "El-Torito" does nothing, one of the THREE available modes do, instead AND you do not have to know/choose anything about it, as it is "hard coded" in the builder.

Bart's F5 option won't work because I deleted BartPE years ago, since I used it just once.

But you are an expert at it and at El-Torito settings? :whistle:

My objective is to load my existing BartPE disc, use Windows Explorer to delete three files from the desired plug-in's folder which is a subfolder in Bart's "plugin" folder. Then I want to copy and paste the three newer files in their place. And finally, I want to reburn the disc. Is this possible, or must I build another BartPE disc from scratch?

Sure it is possible, only with different, misterious ways. ;)

Somebody told me I must start from scratch because the disc was finalized, but I use RW media and that can be rewritten to about 1,000 times, so how could finalizing RW media prevent future rewrites?

I have seen better advice in my experience, carpenter's comparison:

You use nail to join planks because screws have that unesthetical slot or cross. :w00t:

Your problem is (finally):

I have a .iso (or a CD/DVD) created with Bart's PEbuilder.

How can I recreate it EXACTLY as it is, only changing three files?

And there are two answers to it, one, ( the wrong one IMHO) is "use a .iso editor", and the (right IMHO) one is "rebuild the .iso", since what Bart's PEbuilder uses to make the iso is mkisofs.exe that has the nice feature of writing on the .iso HOW exactly it was used at build time.

See here:

http://reboot.pro/12406/

bextract 0.04 should do:

http://reboot.pro/12406/page__st__31

Please note the highly specialized technical term I used :w00t: :

::-

::- bExtract.cmd - small batch file by jaclaz

::- to extract the <*whatever*> makes a .iso file bootable

::- release 0.04 04 September 2010

::- As usual, thanks go to cdob for the help, hints and support

::- Usage:

::- bExtract.cmd <filename>

::- this batch requires a number of third party .exe's, use

::- bExtract.cmd /? to list them

Running it on a "random" BartPE I have it gave me the mkisofs command used allright, but I have seen parsing errors on some builds, so until I find what is the parsing error issue and update the batch you can open the .iso file in *any* hex editor and search for text "mkisofs" to get the command line used, then open the .iso in 7-zip to get the no-emulation bootsector.

jaclaz

You didn't sound like it.

I'm not a BartPE expert and never claimed to be. I know the basics--how to build one and add drivers.

As you were just told, "El-Torito" does nothing, one of the THREE available modes do, instead AND you do not have to know/choose anything about it, as it is "hard coded" in the builder.

That's what I just said. :rolleyes:

Sure it is possible, only with different, misterious ways. ;)

Your problem is (finally):

I have a .iso (or a CD/DVD) created with Bart's PEbuilder.

How can I recreate it EXACTLY as it is, only changing three files?

And there are two answers to it, one, ( the wrong one IMHO) is "use a .iso editor", and the (right IMHO) one is "rebuild the .iso", since what Bart's PEbuilder uses to make the iso is mkisofs.exe that has the nice feature of writing on the .iso HOW exactly it was used at build time.

That's all you needed to say. Thanks for that.

See here:

http://reboot.pro/12406/

bextract 0.04 should do:

http://reboot.pro/12406/page__st__31

Please note the highly specialized technical term I used :w00t: :

::- bExtract.cmd - small batch file by jaclaz

::- to extract the <*whatever*> makes a .iso file bootable

::- release 0.04 04 September 2010

::- As usual, thanks go to cdob for the help, hints and support

::- Usage:

::- bExtract.cmd <filename>

::- this batch requires a number of third party .exe's, use

::- bExtract.cmd /? to list them

Running it on a "random" BartPE I have it gave me the mkisofs command used allright, but I have seen parsing errors on some builds, so until I find what is the parsing error issue and update the batch you can open the .iso file in *any* hex editor and search for text "mkisofs" to get the command line used, then open the .iso in 7-zip to get the no-emulation bootsector.

jaclaz

Edited by vipejc