Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Solved - 98SE will not boot from floppy

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

UltimateSilence

UltimateSilence

• PipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Joined 19-November 11
My Windows 98 Second Edition will not boot from a floppy diskette. The computer just got a new floppy drive. BIOS is set to boot from the "Removable Devices" (which includes the floppy drive).

Upon inserting a floppy and turning the computer on, I get a black screen with a keyboard indicator (BlSoD).

Any ideas?

Bad floppy disk(s).

Edited by UltimateSilence, 12 January 2012 - 02:04 PM.

yZo4FWG.png
Keep Windows XP alive!

Please do not misconstrue Windows 7 license sales as actual sales of the operating system. PCs are bundled with Windows 7, and count towards the sales figures.
Running Windows Vista on HP Pavilion Slimline.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,481 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05
Boot order is wrong. You're probably set to boot the HDD first, then the Floppy.

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

UltimateSilence

UltimateSilence

• PipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Joined 19-November 11

Boot order is wrong. You're probably set to boot the HDD first, then the Floppy.

No, sir. I have it set to: removable devices; CD-ROM; HDD.

yZo4FWG.png
Keep Windows XP alive!

Please do not misconstrue Windows 7 license sales as actual sales of the operating system. PCs are bundled with Windows 7, and count towards the sales figures.

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,481 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05
1 - Is the Floppy really bootable? Where did it come from?
2 - Does the HDD have a MBR in the first 512-byte sector?

If 1=not-true, then the CD-Rom will be checked and if not bootable, then the HDD is checked and if the MBR does NOT have code (e.g. a "wiped" or NEW disk) then bam! Black screen and flashing cursor.

Questions - "keyboard indicator"? BSOD? Please explain.

Edited by submix8c, 12 January 2012 - 12:25 AM.

Posted Image

UltimateSilence

UltimateSilence

• PipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Joined 19-November 11

1 - Is the Floppy really bootable? Where did it come from?
2 - Does the HDD have a MBR in the first 512-byte sector?

If 1=not-true, then the CD-Rom will be checked and if not bootable, then the HDD is checked and if the MBR does NOT have code (e.g. a "wiped" or NEW disk) then bam! Black screen and flashing cursor.

1 - It should be. It is the Windows 98 Startup Diskette.
2 - How do I check this? Windows will not load ATM.

Thank you, submix! :yes:

yZo4FWG.png
Keep Windows XP alive!

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,481 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05
Just for the heck of it, go to bootdiskDOTcom and download any Windows 98SE (preferably the ones listed as OEM), run the program (with a floppy in the drive), take it to the PC having problems and try it. Your Startup Disk may be bad (or inadvertently blanked).

Posted Image

UltimateSilence

UltimateSilence

• PipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Joined 19-November 11

Just for the heck of it, go to bootdiskDOTcom and download any Windows 98SE (preferably the ones listed as OEM), run the program (with a floppy in the drive), take it to the PC having problems and try it. Your Startup Disk may be bad (or inadvertently blanked).

I only have one computer with floppy functionality. I'll have to switch hard drives.

I'll be right back. Thank you so much for your help.

EDIT: One of the floppy diskettes I was attempting to use was apparently corrupt. I could not even format it. I'm formatting the other one that wouldn't boot. Thanks for the link!
I have one other question, though. Does the boot disk at the URL you provided have more features than normal?

Edited by UltimateSilence, 12 January 2012 - 01:08 AM.

yZo4FWG.png
Keep Windows XP alive!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users