Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Extend system partition hyper-v guest

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

zeezam

zeezam

• PipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Joined 28-March 08
I have a windows 2003 installed as a hypver-v guest on a .vhd file.

The system partition is getting full and I want to extend it.

I have added more disk via the hyper-v host but I can't extend the partition on the windows 2003 server.

I have tried with diskpart. I have also tried mounted the .vhd on my windows 7 machine and extended the disk but then it got BSOD when I start it.

Any ideas?

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

allen2

allen2

Not really Newbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts
  • Joined 13-January 06
Here is how i do it:
- extend the vhd using hyper-V
- extend the partition inside the vhd :
  • if it is the boot partition, the you have two choices: boot with a winpe with diskpart support and do the diskpart ,...., extend or shutdown the vm using this drive connect the drive to another vm (a 2003 is better) and do the diskpart ,...., extend.
  • if it isn't a boot partition and isn't used for pagefile then should be able to extend it using diskpart ,...., extend

For the record the diskpart ,...., extend operation is described there in details.

Edited by allen2, 12 January 2012 - 02:44 AM.

zeezam

zeezam

• PipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Joined 28-March 08

Here is how i do it:
- extend the vhd using hyper-V
- extend the partition inside the vhd :

• if it is the boot partition, the you have two choices: boot with a winpe with diskpart support and do the diskpart ,...., extend or shutdown the vm using this drive connect the drive to another vm (a 2003 is better) and do the diskpart ,...., extend.
  • if it isn't a boot partition and isn't used for pagefile then should be able to extend it using diskpart ,...., extend

For the record the diskpart ,...., extend operation is described there in details.

Before I saw your post this worked for me:

* Extended with hyper-v.
* Filecopy of the .vhd file.
* Mounted .vhd on my windows 7 machine, extended the partition. Unmounted .vhd.
* Created a new hyper-v machine and used the new .vhd.

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users