Unattended installation of flash and java for a total newbie

denmyos

Im a total newbie when it comes to scripting.

But a need a way to roll out flash and java (and maybe other updates as well)

I have about 100 computer that often has to get update from flash and java.

At the moment im going around to each machine and installing it by hand. :(

It takes a couple of days, and the next week i have to start over.

Im looking for a easier way to do it.

Hopefully i can get to the point where i can update all computers from one computer, and spend time on more serious work.

I hope some can help me so i can learn this from the ground up, or link to some easy tutorials.

Thx :)

Why exactly do you need to update them? I mean, are you ordered to do so?

Our customer has similar amount of computers and since the user never click on the "update available" icon, both of these are never updated at all. Well, everything works.

I am quite interested in this anyway, though. The only way I can think of would be via group policy. Quite simple actually.

Group policy, WSUS, or SCCM will save your tennis shoes from the extra wear walking to each machine.

Or if the machines are configured so you can remotely administer them you could execute scripts (vbscript, powershell) remotely against all the machines to do this also.

@TheWalrus - the "why do you need to do this?" answer is the add-ons to your system are now the bigger targets than the OS and IE. Acrobat Reader, Java, Flash, etc, are accessible through every browser, some of the holes being patched in them are as bad or worse than the holes MS is patching in the OS.

"install_flash_player_ax_32bit.exe" -install -force

or

"install_flash_player_ax_64bit.exe" -install -force

x64 OSes do not need the 32-bit installer.

thx for all the replies. :)

All the machines are in a workgroup.

I can find all the switches here in the forum.

But how do i push them out to the machines.?

I have been experiment with a batch file, and have the flash file, etc on one machines and then push them to all the other machines.

But i had to give it up, it never work the way i wanted to.

And that was years ago, so im more or less back to basic.

Do you guys use any special program to push out the files and install them.?

Not knowing you environment and OS configurations/security standards in place it is hard to give recommendations.

But if your machines are connected to Active Directory you could use a GPO to push the software out.

You could use a script and PSEXEC (from Microsoft) to push the script to each machine if you have all the IP addresses or computer names and the firewall is configured for it.

If you have installed the latest version of Powershell on the machines and the firewall is configured for it you may be able to use remote powershell scripts to push the install out to the machines.

If you had SMS/SCCM you could push a package it out with that.

If you use a corporate WSUS server you can apply for a license with Adobe to distribute Acrobat, Flash, Air, and Shockwave, (free) which includes access to their update packages to distribute these updates via WSUS.

found this site it will build a custom download of the run-time stuff in a silent deploy packs it probably just downloads and installs www.ninite.com

i am using them for a few things like all the runtimes and a few other apps

• 2 weeks later...

Not knowing you environment and OS configurations/security standards in place it is hard to give recommendations.

But if your machines are connected to Active Directory you could use a GPO to push the software out.

You could use a script and PSEXEC (from Microsoft) to push the script to each machine if you have all the IP addresses or computer names and the firewall is configured for it.

If you have installed the latest version of Powershell on the machines and the firewall is configured for it you may be able to use remote powershell scripts to push the install out to the machines.

If you had SMS/SCCM you could push a package it out with that.

If you use a corporate WSUS server you can apply for a license with Adobe to distribute Acrobat, Flash, Air, and Shockwave, (free) which includes access to their update packages to distribute these updates via WSUS.

Well! things has change.!

currently we are on/in a workgroup with no server ( we have a old mandrake 9.2 that we use for a dhcp server.)

But now we have been told that we are going to join the local county IT department and get a fiber/domain/vdi solution, hopefully before summer.

So that changes a bit for us. So hopefully i wouldn't need to do any scripting at all. (i'm probably being naive :) )

found this site it will build a custom download of the run-time stuff in a silent deploy packs it probably just downloads and installs www.ninite.com

wow, have should have known about this site years ago.

I think i was everything i was looking for. :)

I have downloaded the NiniteOne.

2 thinks i already have problems with.

1)How do you login as a administrator on all machines at once, so you can update the app. It seems that you have to write the administrator password for every machine, everytime you wanna update a program.

2) Is it possible to shutdown a program remote (firefox) since firefox can't be updatet when its open. All of our machins starts up with FF and IE9 open as default.