Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

nuke Bitlocker?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Asp

Asp

• PipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Joined 17-April 05
I've just been given an ex-corporate Dell laptop running Vista.

It has one user account that I have the password for, but not the admin password.
Which of course is rather limiting.

I rebooted and tried to go to safe mode to create an admin account, but then I was greeted by a "Bitlocker" screen that again asked me for a password.
I'm not familiar with Bitlocker, but a few minutes with Google tells me that it's full disc encryption and not crackable short of hacking the hardware.
So I definitely want to get rid of that, I care more about losing access to my files than securing them from the KGB.

So, is there an alternative to nuke and reformat and install the OS from scratch?
And are there any issues with doing this with Bitlocker -- I don't want to brick it.

I'd like to keep the installed drivers and apps, but if not, c'est la vie.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

cluberti

cluberti

Gustatus similis pullus

• Supervisor
  • 11,253 posts
  • Joined 09-September 01
If you aren't being prompted at boot for a TPM pin (and are only prompted when changing the boot options), you can simply pave the disk using the installation media and reinstall. Anything on a bitlockered volume must be formatted away, of course, and can only be saved when booted into the OS (or if you have the recovery key offline), but getting rid of it isn't too hard.
MCTS Windows Internals, MCITP Server 2008 EA, MCTS MDT/BDD, MCSE/MCSA Server 2003, Server 2012, Windows 8
--------------------
Please read the rules before posting!
Please consider donating to MSFN to keep it up and running!

IcemanND

IcemanND

MSFN Junkie

• Super Moderator
  • 3,266 posts
  • Joined 24-September 03
If the account you have the password for has admin rights you can decrypt the drive without reinstalling. If you only have a limited account you can't do much with bitlocker and you are pretty much stuck wiping the drive and reloading.

Asp

Asp

• PipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Joined 17-April 05
Thanks. I gave up on trying to hijack the Windows install and installed Ubuntu, wiping the disk.

I might add a dual boot to XP later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users