Windows 8 - Deeper Impressions

JorgeA

My God! I wasn't following the prices of these thingies very much.

1650$ !??!!!?

For less than half of it you can get this:

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-i15R-2369sLV-15-Inch-Laptop/dp/B009LTUB5A/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1357901769&sr=1-3&keywords=i7

On October 5, 2012, a few weeks before the Windows 8 launch I did a quick infographic to capture the current prices before they got washed away ( Post #1083 )

Hmmm ... Nice desktop or Laptop with i7 CPUs and gobs of RAM and massive HDD or a child's toy tablet, or maybe a yellow phone. Let me think ... Well, I just whipped up this little infographic to illustrate the big problem Microsoft and its partners are facing ...

21OOX.jpg

Note the specs and prices on those first two. How about them apples! Instant price inflation. Thank you Microsoft for doing what no-one else could do, you have even repealed Moore's law.

Note the specs and prices on those first two. How about them apples! Instant price inflation. Thank you Microsoft for doing what no-one else could do, you have even repealed Moore's law.

Yet the paychecks of the customers stay the same.

Is Microsoft even aware that the Mac marketshare is one-tenth of the Windows marketshare? Pricing is one of the reasons for that.

If the majority can't afford Mac AND Windows now.. what's the gain for Microsoft?

--- Nomination for 2013 Most Ridiculous Theory from an Industry Analyst ---

PC prices must rise, not fall, to solve Windows 8's lousy start, analyst argues ( PC World 2013-01-07 )

The story is very much related to the mini-discussion in the previous few posts concerning rising PC prices. Using similar logic as Paul Thurrott another analyst called Steven Baker ( of the NPD Group ) has a novel suggestion to save ailing PC sales: Raise Prices! Worth a read, especially the PC World commenters who pulverize his theory. I don't know what the analyst is on about, he got his wish already. Just read the last few posts here Steven Baker!

--- Nomination for 2013 Combat Valor Behind Enemy Lines ---

Wait, first I have to now admit an egregious error. Sometime back I suggested that The Verge was not dogmatic, well the site is not but the commenters certainly are. So I was wrong, sorry. The peanut gallery at The Verge are clearly evolving into a direct competitor to NeoWin in the MicroZealot Olympics. Knowing that, when a story like this comes along you know it is going to be a seriously fun read ...

Windows 8 Usage Uptake Lags Behind Vista (now with complete data!) ( The Verge 2013-01-09 )

This particular article appears in their Microsoft Tribe section, ( no I'm not kidding, they have sections for their commenters who can select their favorite cult ). Anyway, this commenter is simply fabulous. He researches the little available website statistical data that we have and displays it in the area where it will upset the most Windows 8 zealots. Not only that, like an expert swordsman he slices and dices his way through a long thread of crybabies presenting endless tired arguments and whining disapproval for him having the temerity to post this information. Excellent job. :thumbup

EDIT: typos

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot

--- Nomination for 2013 Most Ridiculous Theory from an Industry Analyst ---

PC prices must rise, not fall, to solve Windows 8's lousy start, analyst argues ( ComputerWorld 2013-01-07 )

The story is very much related to the mini-discussion in the previous few posts concerning rising PC prices. Using similar logic as Paul Thurrott another analyst called Steven Baker ( of the NPD Group ) has a novel suggestion to save ailing PC sales: Raise Prices!

Quote:

If that sounds familiar, it's Apple's personal computer business model in a nutshell.

These dolts are all consumed with Apple-envy. It's like a disease.

Edited by Formfiller

@CharlotteTheHarlot

@Formfiller

Wow, that's quite a back-and-forth you've had today. My hat's off to you!

Now I will go and read some of the links, and with any luck will have something substantial to add...

--JorgeA

PC World reviews the Surface Pro:

Microsoft Surface Pro hands-on impressions from CES

After showering copious derision on the Surface RT (maybe predictions that ARM will take over the computing world are premature), the author reports that the 64GB Surface will sell for $900 and the 128GB version for $1000, which is in line with what we've heard before:

will looks matter in an ultra-portable market that’s already considered to be priced too high?

Stay tuned. Get ready. The PC landscape is more interesting than it’s been in more than 10 years, and Surface Pro can tell us so, so much about what consumers want—and are willing to spend—in a new Windows 8 hybrid.

Anybody care to hazard a guess?

--JorgeA

I don't think that the PC landscape is more interesting.

What I really hate, and why I never buy Win8 tablet, is the 16:9 format

pan-win-8620x340.jpg

look how terrible this is when you rotate the device a bit.

And I also hate the fact that it scrolls from left to right and not from top to bottom (iPad way). I find the Win8 way absolutely terrible.

Oh, that's weird. I wonder what the flaw is -- what the guy in the photo did to get the tablet to behave that way.

Incidentally, I was back at my favorite electronics retailer again today, and once again (as usual since Windows 8 came out) the PC section was a ghost town.

For the first time, I saw them displaying the Win8 Desktop on one computer, instead of that hideous Start Screen. It was the first laptop that customers would see as they approach the computer department. Maybe they're discovering that customers are NOT interested in Metro.

I spent a few minutes exploring one laptop that interested me for a Windows 7 installation. In the barely five minutes that I stood there, a sales clerk and then the store manager came around to ask if they could be of assistance. (This was a new experience at that store, they must be very eager to make a PC sale.) I was tempted to suggest to the manager that, as an experiment, for one week they hide all those Metro start screens and show only the actual Desktops on their display models, and see what happens to their computer sales.

But then I thought: why would I want to help sell Win8 systems??

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

I'm not sure if we've covered this topic on this thread already, but just in case, here goes -- another thing Windows 8 won't do that Windows 7 does:

Et Tu, Balmer?

http://thedigitallifestyle.com/w/index.php/2013/01/10/microsoft-confirm-only-the-xbox-360-will-work-as-a-media-center-extender-with-windows-8/

When will the Echo support Windows 8?

The Echo is compatible with Windows 7 today. Microsoft changed some things in Windows 8 that affect all extenders except the Xbox 360 when used with Windows 8.

--JorgeA

Oh, that's weird. I wonder what the flaw is -- what the guy in the photo did to get the tablet to behave that way.

It is most likely by design, now stop complaining about innovation you h8er! :lol:

My favorite part in that photo is ...

xt5VI.jpg

But then I thought: why would I want to help sell Win8 systems??

Excellent thinking!

it seems Microsoft knew that fingerprints would be annoying on touchscreen, so Microsoft made the cleaning guide.

Unlike Apple that hinted that regular cleaning of touchscren would diminish the screen quality,

Microsoft however, suggests that users should cleans the touchscreen frequently.

I don't know about the Surface, but most LCD's are vulnerable ( flashback to Post #509 ) to pressure. It is also possible that they may have an anti-glare coating that will come off.

All in all I think I was correct in speculating that Microsoft has secretly bought stock in display manufacturers, cleaning supplies, and eyeglass makers. Go long on these stocks. :yes:

My favorite part in that photo is ...

xt5VI.jpg

it seems Microsoft knew that fingerprints would be annoying on touchscreen, so Microsoft made the cleaning guide.

Unlike Apple that hinted that regular cleaning of touchscren would diminish the screen quality,

Microsoft however, suggests that users should cleans the touchscreen frequently.

WAIT! Hold the phone!

A guide on how to clean your touch device? P)*(&$#()*&@_*(&$_)@&

Where is the f***ing guide (I know they decided not to release one) on win 8?