Windows 8 - Deeper Impressions

JorgeA

The Win8 adaption rate gets lower each month and is so much slower compared to Vista.

Uptake gap between Windows 8 and Vista widens even as new OS gains share

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9238039/Uptake_gap_between_Windows_8_and_Vista_widens_even_as_new_OS_gains_share

Windows_adoption.jpg

Some figures to back up the graph --

Net Applications (the source quoted in the article above):

Vista 4.99%, Windows 8 group 3.31% (Win8 3.17%, Windows 8 Touch 0.12%, Windows RT Touch 0.02%)

"Touch" is having a huge impact, I see....

W3Counter (another statistics gatherer):

Vista 5.01%, Win8 3.41%

--JorgeA

A Not-So-Warm Welcome for Windows 8.1 ( Dvorak PC Magazine 2013-04-03 )

John Dvorak nicely caps off a week of Windows 8 and ReTard news. Microsoft is backing up the Titanic preparing to ram the iceberg again. And yeah, they're even going to go off the naming/numbering reservation again ( recall the crazy idea of calling Windows 6.1 by the fake marketing name of Windows 7. Hey, they already had a perfectly fine name for Windows 6.2: ... Windows Blew. :lol: And they are dropping prices a little. ~yawn~. Basically the touch keyboard will be free on the ReTard version. ~yawn~. Here's a roundup if you can stand it ...

These three are somewhat related but specifically about Dell ...

Dell: "Uncertain adoption" of Windows 8 is part of its reason to go private ( NeoWin 2013-03-30 )

Dell Outlines Reasons for Current Mess in Proxy Statement ( Maximum PC 2013-03-31 )

Dell Forecasts Death of PC in Latest SEC Filing ( Tom's Hardware 2013-04-02 )

We'll soon see if this marriage ever goes forward. It's funny how torn the fanboys are commenting on these articles since they were all prepared to love the crap out of Dell for hooking up with Microsoft ( if by "hooking up" you mean selling your sell to the devil ). Anyway, it seems that behind the scenes Windows 8 is at least a small point of contention in Microsoft's iron-fisted OEM monopoly. Maybe we can switch metaphors to dikes springing a leak once HP makes clear what they are going to do.

Windows Blue/8.1 build 9369 screenshots appear ( NeoWin 2013-04-03 )

Here is the screenshot posted at the link ...

J9XUxar.jpg

( Image at NeoWin link )

... Well that just is gross. Horrible. Seriously, people are going to go "night-blind" looking at god-awful bright white and gray all day long. I hope folks don't go driving at night immediately after working on this garbage OS. Oh wait, that's probably covered by the EULA too. :lol: Microsoft "designers" and "engineers" ( apologies to real designers and engineers ) are certifiably insane. They would do well to start working up their résumé package sooner rather than later, and leave out the part about working on this dog.

P.S. found this graphic by someone else, and it fits here perfectly! ...

BlZwfJm.jpg

( Source )

EDIT: updated image URLs

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot

Unfreakinbelievable!!!

For the benefit of the time-deprived, if I may quote from some of the posts there --

I've compiled the most biting posts here about W8 and posted it there. Within 10 seconds (!!!!!) it was moved into a section where you need to be logged-in to even read the posts.

Just wow. That was the fastest response I've ever seen in a forum.

No wonder there isn't much W8 hate here over there.

Link:

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1145316-madness-that-is-windows-8/

Works only when you're logged-in.

Neowin saga continues: Some mod in that thread said that posting the post in a different, already existing thread would have been okay.

I did it. A few minutes later that post was removed, together with a reply to it from a unrelated member - to erase any signs that it existed.

After I have protested, they banned from the site one minute later! (IP-ban) All I get when I login is "You are not allowed to visit this community."

The insult continues. They sent me this email:

"This account has been banned. Don't bother if you have nothing to contribute or say."

Read: If your contribution doesn't praise W8.

Follow up: I know it's an IP-ban because I get "You are not allowed to visit this community." when I want to open up their forums not logged-in and using a different browser. All cookies etc. (flash ones included) cleared.

--JorgeA

Sooooo Windows 8.1 is also Windows 6.3? :wacko:

LOL

To help us in understanding that idea, and quoting from one of the favorite books in this thread, all we need to remember is that

War Is Peace

Freedom Is Slavery

Ignorance Is Strength

-- and we'll be all right. It's an example of goodthink (see the entry, "blackwhite"). ;)

--JorgeA

Here's a good summary of the issues surrounding Windows 8. Click on the link for the details:

Four reasons Windows 8 can't match Vista's adoption rate

• Upgrade cycles are longer
  • Tablets are replacing PCs
  • People don't like Windows 8
  • Windows 8 tablets haven't been selling

--JorgeA

Note: never mind that last, empty bullet point -- I can't seem to get rid of it.

Sooooo Windows 8.1 is also Windows 6.3? :wacko:

Time to revisit an older post, #10 in Tihiy's Ex7forW8 thread ...

Well, why call it W8 anyway?

Maybe we should just call them by their real names which might reset expectations accordingly ...

Real Name ---- Marketing

Windows 5.0 ... Windows 2000

Windows 5.1 ... Windows XP

Windows 5.2 ... Windows XP-64

Windows 6.0 ... Windows Vista

Windows 6.1 ... Windows 7

Windows 6.2 ... Windows 8 ... or even better: ... W8 for 9 ... W849! :yes:(patent pending)

Perhaps Microsoft is merely performing some rudimentary arithmetic ...

Windows 6.1 ... 6 + 1 = 7

Windows 6.2 ... 6 + 2 = 8

.. for those customers that require things simple and easy? :whistle:

EDIT: typo!

EDIT2: just thought of a better name for it!

EDIT3: and better yet.

Now with our updated information ...

Windows 6.1 ... 6 + 1.0 = 7

Windows 6.2 ... 6 + 2.0 = 8

Windows 6.3 ... 6 + 2.1 = 8.1 ... ( they added Windows 2.1 to Vista! :lol: )

Therefore ... Vista + Windows 2.1 = Windows 8 Blew rotflmao.gif

Of course, any sensible person would have pressed for ...

Windows 6.2.1 ... or ... 6.21

It's all kind of a moot point since they botched it all up with the "Windows 7" marketing term. I mean, I understand that Vista got a point update to 6.0 from 5.x, but the marketing nonsense of "Windows 7" is ridiculous. I think it demonstrates the siege mentality that Microsoft began not long after Vista and they believed that they could just wish the fail away using marketing nonsense. However, dropping sensible use of numbers by a software company that is supposed to respect numbers is a very bad sign. Any Softies that still care at all about Microsoft should do some research into what happened at that point in time, by those in management that green-lit this break in tradition and common sense. It is clearly when things went right off the rails, apparently forever.

EDIT: math error! Used Windows 3.1 instead of 2.1. Doh!

The strategic errors just pile up ...

Microsoft pokes fun at Facebook Home and Mark Zuckerberg ( NeoWin 2013-04-04 )

Microsoft's Frank Shaw joins the Facebook Home bashing crowd ( NeoWin 2013-04-04 )

Microsoft disses Facebook Home as so 'two years ago' ( The Verge 2013-04-05 )

I am dumbfounded by this story on two levels ...

One: that Microsoft was caught completely flatfooted here, and if not by surprise, then they were specifically targeted to be NOT invited to this party. This announcement from Facebook is all about Android, in a big way. In fact it is huge to the point that it alone might kill the Microsoft WP effort. I see this as a huge win for Android and for all mid-range to lower-end phones. Facebook just gave the non-premium range of phones a perfectly good reason to be happy with their devices. And even though there is only the one HTC "Facebook phone" thus far, I would expect a bunch more later. If WP has any real chance at all, someone is gonna have to explain it to me.

Two: Microsoft not only got left out, but now they decide to use their Scroogle-esque arrogance and get snarky about it. They have some seriously mentally ill people in Redmond. This is not a professional company any longer. And it is not a good idea to antagonize a service that has around a billion users. Oh wait, never mind, they already are doing that with the Windows user base.

The comments at the article are sometimes angry and sometimes subdued. They realize this was a huge strategic miss and now a compounded error out of arrogance. I almost feel sorry for them. Almost.

The Skype debacle: What's happening to my messages? ( NeoWin 2013-04-04 )

Another detailed fumble of strategic services. This one is about broken messaging, in fact a horrendous delivery record, complete with many examples. Skype was a big bite for Microsoft to take, I think they were trying to grab another Facebook-level premium service, but just buying them isn't enough. They have to follow through and make sure it always works perfectly ( it never did in the past ) or else the next backlash will strike them upside the head instead of the previous independent company. Now they own it. Now the issues are theirs.

Sure there are expected problems, that is always the case, but the strategic fumbling is not about that. It is about the reckless nature of Microsoft these days, making incredible decisions quickly rather than careful and thoughtfully. In this case, they killed MSN Messenger and Windows Messenger in favor of a seamless Skype replacement, similarly killing Hotmail for Outlook. These are rash decisions and they only make sense when everything works perfectly. Guess what, they're not perfect. Naturally this follows the incredible craziness in the Windows 8 decsions, like the Start Menu and Aero. Microsoft is not bold, they are simply reckless, like a drunk driver weaving all over the road and hitting every obstacle in its path.

Speaking of Skype, these two important stories were already mentioned above, but should be kept fresh in the news. I know I won't be using Skype except for emergencies ...

Linux group complains to EU, says Microsoft actions are "absolutely anti-competitive" ( NeoWin 2013-03-26 )

Spanish Linux Group Targets Microsoft in Complaint to EU ( Maximum PC 2013-03-26 )

Microsoft under fire in Europe over Windows 8 UEFI Secure Boot ( TechSpot 2013-03-26 )

( Forgot to mention these earlier ) And so it begins. The only problem is the focus on the "Secure Boot" feature. This is a Microsoft misdirection. They purposely are using it like the pea-shell game to DISTRACT everyone from the larger problem. That problem is targeting their OEM preinstallation monopoly and the billion users of Windows to be kidnapped into their Windows 8 Metro walled garden. I wish the Linux groups and the EU well on this but I hope that people across the pond will contact their powers-that-be in Brussels ( or wherever ) and get them to look at the Windows monopoly instead. If they must do something, don't fine them again, it is useless and in fact is a sort of payola. Instead, just ban preinstallation of operating systems completely or move to have Microsoft broken up and have the OS division removed from the rest of the company. The collusion between OS div and everyone else is now completely obvious and there isn't much time left to take action.

EDIT: added article(s)

Microsoft: Xbox SmartGlass can be used "to spy on your kids" ( NeoWin 2013-03-28 )

As it turns out, the answer is "Yes." The Escapist reports that during a presentation this week at the Game Developers Conference, Microsoft's Rosa Thomas said that she had discovered that Xbox SmartGlass, when connected to the Xbox 360, can also serve as a way to check up on what other people who are playing on the console are doing.

She stated:

"So, interesting enough, I was at work, testing my stuff, and I'm looking and I forgot that I had actually connected to my home Xbox, and I got to see what my kids were doing at home. It's a great way to spy on your kids, I'll tell you".

Now how about them apples? :blink:

More rumors pop up on Microsoft's "always on" next Xbox ( NeoWin 2013-04-04 )

Kotaku reports that, according to a quote from their unnamed insider, "If there isn't a connection, no games or apps can be started. If the connection is interrupted then after a period of time--currently three minutes, if I remember correctly--the game/app is suspended and the network troubleshooter started."

Now admittedly this is a rumor. But, aren't they all rumors at first? Are there any rumors about Microsoft that are not coming true now? The only rumors about Microsoft that I would NOT believe these days would be that they are about to so something sensible. :lol:

The latest roundup of XboxFiles ( The Truth Is Out There ) ...

EDIT: formatting

Next gadget :whistle:

Idea! idea.gif

A very small muppet theatre, to be placed in front of the Kinect camera, with a single figure moving from time to time (battery powered), coming together with a special correction lens that will let the Kinect think it is a single human staring at the screen from an armchair placed at approximately 2.50 m distance. :yes:

Alistaircookiedoll.jpg

Before anyone complains :w00t: , the idea is not entirely original, it was inspired by worship.gif:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1081607/Speeding-puppet-seat-British-car-makes-muppets-German-police.html

article-1081607-0249E9A8000005DC-606_468x334.jpg

:lol:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

I took a trip back last night and watched an old video. Good old Video Professor: Learn Windows 3.1 on VHS. Certainly it has no bad reviews:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/video_professor_learn_windows_version_31/

In the video, the "Professor" explains the OS to the viewer under the idea that they

1) know how to use DOS

2) know nothing about previous versions of Windows

So he needs to explains why it is called Windows anyways. The fact that you can have multiple Windows on your screen, as he puts it: as many as your memory allows. I certainly know people that fall into that category... mostly those who haven't fully grasped tabbed browsing... :rolleyes:

In Windows 8 it is still possible to open as many windows as you want, but only if you go to the desktop. But if Microsoft really does want to get rid of the desktop, then they are going to have to get rid of the name Windows as well! :o