Windows 8 - Deeper Impressions

JorgeA

News from Scroogled. They have changed direction, it's all about apps now.

http://www.scroogled.com/

GOOGLE SHARES YOUR PERSONAL INFO WITH APP MAKERS

When you buy an Android app from the Google app store, they give the app maker your full name, email address and the neighborhood where you live. This occurs without clear warning every single time you buy an app.

Watch the video to see how you get Scroogled

If you can't trust Google's app store, how can you trust them for anything?

This, from the company that trawls through your SkyDrive stuff for naughty pictures. You gotta admire them for the gall.

How long do you think it'll be before we find out that MS does pretty much the same thing as Google, with the Metro apps sold in the Windows Store?

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

Gigabyte teases customizable, high-res UEFI for Haswell motherboards ( TechSpot 2013-05-03 )

As for the layout of the UEFI, the outer edges have been designed to show real-time stats without having to navigate through multiple sub-menus. Users will be able to monitor CPU, memory and system stats on-the-fly in addition to temperatures, fan speeds and voltages.

If that wasn’t enough, the firmware looks to be completely customizable as well. The teaser image shows a set of user options which we assume can be selected and added to a custom user tab – in this example, the custom tab has been labeled as “Performance.”

And needless to say it is decidedly non-Metro :yes:

YdJlzRJ.jpg

Here is a 1920 pixel image ( as long as their link lasts ). Note from the text excerpt that the interface is user customizable. Can you imagine Microsoft or her fanboys designing this? Let's all pray that Gigabyte and Asus never collaborate with Microsoft.

Oooh la la! B) With something like this, why would I ever want to load the OS?? :D

--JorgeA

From a couple of days ago:

Microsoft looking to expand its SaaS offerings with Windows Desktop ( NeoWin 2013-05-01 )

While we would not expect the service to replace your standard Windows desktop, this will be the first possible steps towards moving Windows to a subscription service as opposed to a one-time payment, which many believe is in the pipeline for Microsoft.

Yep. Don't listen to the propaganda saying "Don't worry". Microsoft has plans to monetize every single shred of their so-called Intellectual Property. Given half a chance going forward, most companies will piece out everything they have for sale. They want subscriptions, they don't want customers. Fear for the future. The wild world of x86 systems and indie software have been sentenced to death. Clouds and walled gardens are all that lies on their horizon. Don't contribute to this garbage by obsoleting your hardware and software. Don't play their game.

Here's the article that Neowin was working from. I bring it up because I wanted to quote the following commenter who makes -- and builds on -- a point that I've thought for decades (and not just in connection with computing):

Centralization, whether political or technological, is almost always a good idea in the short term, but a very bad idea in the long term. Can't wait to hear about the 10 million desktop users unable to access their desktops, apps, files, etc. while I work blissfully on my fully functional laptop.

Runs parallel to what we've said here before about keeping your files in the Cloud. And now the concept is expanding to the whole desktop. :huh: If there were a head-scratching emoticon, I'd be using it right now.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

If there were a head-scratching emoticon, I'd be using it right now.

Rectius: If there were I were able to find a head-scratching emoticon .... icon_scratch_head.gif

:whistle:

You know jaclaz, you are absolutely right -- I am completely incapable of finding an emoticon on the Web for myself. :rolleyes:

Perhaps it did not occur to you that, having decided it wasn't worth my limited time to go out looking for one elsewhere, I might possibly be referring to the forum we are in. (I challenge "The Finder" to find a head-scratching emoticon in the emoticon panel that shows up on the right when replying to a post on this forum.)

One could argue that I should have made that clear, but that would miss the point. This thread exists as a place to critique Microsoft for its decisions relating to Windows 8, not whether I personally am "able" to find an emoticon somewhere else. If we here have to start taking three times as long to craft posts with complete explanations and airtight language to satisfy a lawyer, the discussion will die and the only winners will be Microsoft and its fanboys. The losers will be those of us who have found a haven here and a sounding board for views dissenting from the MSFT party line. Enough sniping at allies already.

--JorgeA

EDIT: changed tack

Edited by JorgeA

Relax, jorgeA, you forgot one of jaclaz's other aliases - the jester. He does like to poke a bit of fun and tease. Not to worry. He's dangerous usually harmless and means no ill will by it. He probably just viewed your statement as a challenge to his finder skills. I've been the victim beneficiary of his wit many times. :)

Cheers and Regards my friend

Edited by bphlpt

Thanks, bphlpt -- I wasn't aware of that other alias.

Voice tone and facial expressions, which can affect the meaning of the words that are actually used, don't carry over well in print. This is where emoticons come in.

But that means that we need to use emoticons carefully if we are to decrease the risk of being misinterpreted. In this case, a wink ;) or a smile :) would have lightened up the message to show that it didn't "really" mean what the words said. But the whistling emoticon :whistle: comes off as an implied (or maybe not so implied) putdown, which actually serves to strengthen the plain meaning of the words.

Needless to say, if the intent is to help, then the safest course is to play it straight, resist offering the "rectius" and simply say something like,

"Here's a head-scratching emoticon you can use."

It's not so hard to do, and as a bonus it would have earned a Thank You instead.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

TechRadar has interviewed a Windows product manager, who said the following in a discussion of Windows 8 and Microsoft's approach to changing things:

We ask about Windows Blue and whether it points the way towards eventually getting rid of the desktop. Moulster tells us: "To be honest I don't have an answer because I don't know. I'm loathe to speculate. It seems highly unlikely to me. I haven't seen anything either way. I'd be surprised, but that's my personal view."

"I think it's a continuation of us always building on what's there. Windows 8 is built on Windows 7 and starts from where Windows 7 stops, and I don't think there will be a change to that approach. We'd be crazy to throw anything away.

[emphasis added]

OK boys and girls, can anybody here tell us if Microsoft threw anything away when they came out with Windows 8? :lol:

Very good, and then if this guy is right, what does that say about Microsoft? :D

I still maintain that having choice is a good thing, but it does complicate things somewhat.

Great to hear. Will you give us back the choice to use Aero Glass? To use a native Start Button that will call up a standard Start Menu? To banish the Modern UI completely from our screens?

Good comment down below the end of the article:

As an OS, Win8 is fine. It boots quickly, it's stable, and I haven't had any compatibility issues. The problem is that it just doesn't make sense as a desktop OS. The fully maximized or fully minimized approach is a reasonable trade off on the limited screen space of a tablet or phone but it's a real hindrance to doing getting any real work done on a PC. In addition, so few real aplications are Win8 native so most users will spend most of their time in desktop mode where all of the shiny translucent prettiness of Win7 has been removed leaving dull interface full of odd colored window frames, no start menu, and not even a simple drop shadow. It seems like an bad trade off to have what is essentially a huge app launcher. In the 90's there were a couple companies that made restrictive replacement desktop interfaces for children. That's really what Win8 feels like as a desktop OS.
[emphasis added]

--JorgeA

TechRadar has interviewed a Windows product manager, who said the following in a discussion of Windows 8 and Microsoft's approach to changing things:

We ask about Windows Blue and whether it points the way towards eventually getting rid of the desktop. Moulster tells us: "To be honest I don't have an answer because I don't know. I'm loathe to speculate. It seems highly unlikely to me. I haven't seen anything either way. I'd be surprised, but that's my personal view."

"I think it's a continuation of us always building on what's there. Windows 8 is built on Windows 7 and starts from where Windows 7 stops, and I don't think there will be a change to that approach. We'd be crazy to throw anything away.

[emphasis added]

OK boys and girls, can anybody here tell us if Microsoft threw anything away when they came out with Windows 8? :lol:

Good catch. :thumbup So either he is one of those people that speak carelessly where the words don't necessarily match the thoughts and can even be inconsistent from sentence to sentence which results in lies accidental incongruities ... or ... he's a liar.

Well at least he just admitted they are crazy.

Acer still believes Microsoft can compete in the mobile space ( NeoWin 2013-05-04 )

Now there is a vote of confidence. :lol:

AdDuplex: Nokia holds 83% of the Windows Phone market outside the USA ( NeoWin 2013-05-04 )

So what's the punchline? In other breaking news it has been discovered that water is wet. :lol: Anyone else noticing how NeoWin runs these "reaching" and "stretching" stories. The Windows 8 Steam marketshare survey is another prime example.

Uh oh! Lumia 928 billboard appears before its launch ( NeoWin 2013-05-04 )

Lots of discussion about this "leak" prior to any official announcement of this new model phone. But one of the commenters points out something incredible. Have a look at where they placed billboard ...

vDvepcq.jpg

( image source )

:blink: You really can't make this stuff up!

EDIT: updated image URL

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot

But the whistling emoticon :whistle: comes off as an implied (or maybe not so implied) putdown, which actually serves to strengthen the plain meaning of the words.

Needless to say, if the intent is to help, then the safest course is to play it straight, resist offering the "rectius" and simply say something like,

It's not so hard to do, and as a bonus it would have earned a Thank You instead.

Well ,actually it's my bad :blushing: , I should have used, instead of the plain "whistling" emoticon (which I often use to underline a friendly mocking) , the more complex "ducking"one that Larryb123456 worship.gif expressly made for me to underline the spirit of some of my posts, see around here:

The result was so good that the emoticon has been added in reboot.pro as the "standard" "jaclaz" emoticon:

jaclaz.gif

Sorry for the misunderstanding :(, it was intended as a friendly joke.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

But the whistling emoticon :whistle: comes off as an implied (or maybe not so implied) putdown, which actually serves to strengthen the plain meaning of the words.

Well ,actually it's my bad :blushing: , I should have used, instead of the plain "whistling" emoticon (which I often use to underline a friendly mocking) , the more complex "ducking"one that Larryb123456 worship.gif expressly made for me to underline the spirit of some of my posts, see around here:

The result was so good that the emoticon has been added in reboot.pro as the "standard" "jaclaz" emoticon:

jaclaz.gif

Sorry for the misunderstanding :(, it was intended as a friendly joke.

jaclaz

Thank you, jaclaz. Sorry that (not if) I was so prickly. I feel like the one you gave above that pops up all red and then goes downhill from there

And, Thank You for the scratching-head emoticon.

In appreciation (although you probably have one like this already), please let me offer this: smiley42.gif

--JorgeA