Windows 8 - Deeper Impressions

JorgeA

By the way, why is the start screen scrolling horizontally and not vertically? haha... another fail. Last time I checked, 99% of mouses had a VERTICAL scroll so now, your mouse wheel is unusable when in start screen, you have to use horizontal scroll bar... even if the wheel works, it would be extremely unnatural to use, although I doubt it does.

Its because while we are led to believe that Windows 8 was designed for portables, its obvious that this particular thing, the Start Screen/metro, was specifically designed for a 16:9 desktop touchscreen monitor. It would be a good step in some update that verticle scrolling is made available as an option, if at least for tablet rotation. It was already complained about screen rotation on portables with the Start Screen is kinda pointless.

And another deeper impression of mine.... You can't find everything by searching in the Start Screen. For example, you can't find things in Administrative Tools, such as Local Security Policy.

About the "60 Million" number, quote:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/01/24/windows_8_blame_game/page2.html

Microsoft did say that the figure of 60 million could be attributed to upgrades and sales to manufacturers – so not sales of actual PCs to the end user.

So the vast bulk of W8 licences are on OEM PCs, but those OEM PCs are not so much in customers' hands but taking a nap in the shops and warehouses.

I also love it when the eightards try to tell people that W8 is doing badly because PC sales are declining.

Wait, wait.. wasn't W8 supposed tackle this? Windows 8's commercial performance on tablets is even worse than on PCs. It's so bad that almost all the major OEMs decided to cancel their RT plans. And 8 Pro isn't doing that great on this form factor either.

So, H8 is such a debacle on the desktop and laptop because of its dual FrankenOS nature, yet it's doing even worse on tablets sales-wise! (the reason it got crippled)

Lose-Lose

Speaking of denial... they also defend this piece of CRAP... and actually call it "Design". Can you believe it? They call a WHITE window with A MESS OF TEXT "Design"!!! (Outlook 2013)

On one hand, they got this teletubbies eyesore call Windows 8 and the other hand, they got this... white THING... no borders, hidden scrollbars, mess of text... they call this design!!! *looooooooooooooooooooooooooool*

NOT TO MENTION THE ALL UPPER CASE CAPLOCKED MENU ITEMS, IT IS LIKE OFFICE 2013 IS YELLING AT YOU ALL THE TIME.

I looked at that Outlook 2013 preview shot, and inside of a minute the procession of Ribbon elements with just the faintest separation by teeny gray lines already had me feeling anxious and unsettled.

Who could work in such an environment?? Oh, wait -- that's right, Modern design is for play, not work. I'm expected to be a consumer drone flitting constantly from screen to screen, not a producer who needs to actually focus on what he's doing...

BTW, funny image with the Teletubbies superimposed on the Metro Start Screen!

--JorgeA

And another deeper impression of mine.... You can't find everything by searching in the Start Screen. For example, you can't find things in Administrative Tools, such as Local Security Policy.

Oh, interesting. They're slowly separating the user from the guts of the OS, leaving him/her to interact only with a pre-selected outer, umm, surface...

:rolleyes:

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

Oh, interesting. They're slowly separating the user from the guts of the OS, leaving him/her to interact only with a pre-selected outer, umm, surface...

:rolleyes:

--JorgeA

Ah yeah, they are taking control away from us... slowly... but surely. http://youtu.be/AEWRqMCxza0?t=31s

:)

Edited by ciHnoN

From another forum, more Windows 8 headaches.

be warned -- I think that I will have to buy a new motherboard with the new UEFI-BIOS, and a new CPU because of my attempt to use Win8 with this motherboard!!

--JorgeA

P.S. (and OT): From much later in that thread, there is this:

And, it's important to completely shut down your PC, daily if possible, because there are things that Windows needs to do, that can only be done during a complete shutdown, like re-writing the registry to the hard drive.

Is that correct?

Edited by JorgeA

And, it's important to completely shut down your PC, daily if possible, because there are things that Windows needs to do, that can only be done during a complete shutdown, like re-writing the registry to the hard drive.

Is that correct?

The guy is probably referring to the fact that shutdown in Win8 is not a normal power off like in previous Windows versions, but a version of hybrid sleep - and as in hibernation Windows 8 writes to the SSD/HDD the data stored in memory. In complete shutdown as in power off, Windows or any OS for that matter can't do anything. ;)

Edited by Win2k3EE

I personally got banned from Microsoft Channel9 forums

I am still active there as "wastingtimewithforums".

Their nerves are razor-thin currently:

http://channel9.msdn...nch-in-February

haha, I had a feeling it was you. I found this thread/forums from one of your links (thankfully) so I joined and also donated to this place. :)))

This is me seeing Windows 8:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=a5R_pS0h5Qk

Edited by ciHnoN

Earnings data in:

http://www.microsoft.com/investor/EarningsAndFinancials/Earnings/PressReleaseAndWebcast/FY13/Q2/default.aspx

“Our big, bold ambition to reimagine Windows as well as launch Surface and Windows Phone 8 has sparked growing enthusiasm with our customers and unprecedented opportunity and creativity with our partners and developers,” said Steve Ballmer, chief executive officer at Microsoft. “With new Windows devices, including Surface Pro, and the new Office on the horizon, we’ll continue to drive excitement for the Windows ecosystem and deliver our software through devices and services people love and businesses need.”

The Windows Division posted revenue of $5.88 billion, a 24% increase from the prior year period. Adjusting for the net deferral of revenue for the Windows Upgrade Offer and the recognition of the previously deferred revenue from Windows 8 Pre-sales, Windows Division non-GAAP revenue increased 11% for the second quarter. Microsoft has sold over 60 million Windows 8 licenses to date.

----

Of course, it's pretty obvious that lots of those 60 Million are still on PCs that are still in warehouses. Otherwise OEM's wouldn't be p***ed.

“Our big, bold ambition to reimagine Windows as well as launch Surface and Windows Phone 8 has sparked growing enthusiasm with our customers[...]"

Ballmer's statement reminds me a little of Baghdad Bob:

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

Three months after launch, PCWorld issues a (second) report card on Windows 8. Some highlights:

"To really know the state of Windows 8, Windows Phone 8 and Surface, additional granularity is required," says Patrick Moorhead, founder and principal analyst at Moor Insights & Strategy. "We really need to know how many Windows 8 licenses and Surfaces sold through retail. The biggest unknown is why Windows 8 revenue looked good while all [manufacturers] had shaky quarters."
Usability

I'd like to say there has been some change here since launch, but alas, there hasn't. The modern UI still throws everything you knew about Windows out the window. There's still no Start button on the desktop. And usability experts still convulse and shriek obscenities if you mention Windows 8 by name.

...MetroStore Scanner's data shows the pace of new app submissions grinding to a crawl. After hitting the 20,000 app mark near its one-month anniversary at the end of November, the Windows Store smashed the 35,000 app barrier on December 27. Between December 27 and January 23, however, only around 4,000 new apps were added to the marketplace. That's bad news for Microsoft, which needs exponential catalog growthincluding a surge in high-quality appsif it wants the Windows Store to be a selling point for the operating system.
Many of the usability concerns could be squashed by releasing an update that restores the Start button and enables and option to boot straight to the desktop.

Speaking of the Start Button, I was at my favorite PC retailer the other day and got into separate conversations with the manager and a salesman. They agreed that Win8 is a disaster for users, but the salesman claimed that the Start Button was going to be revived this summer in a Win8 "Service Pack 1." Unless someone here knows otherwise, I'm going to count that as an example of, umm, salesmanship.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

Microsoft Windows 8 Sales Lacking; Mum On Surface

The fiscal Q2 report "wasn't that great, basically in line with lowered expectations," MKM Partners analyst Israel Hernandez said.

Windows sales were "not that hot" considering the company has begun a new upgrade cycle with Windows 8, which debuted Oct. 26. That same day, Microsoft started selling its first branded computers, the Surface tablet-notebook convertible. Microsoft was mum on sales figures for the new device.

"The fact that they didn't give us Surface unit sales tells you something," Hernandez said.

The following tidtbit might dampen talk about how, by offering a common interface, Windows 8 and Win8 "devices" would synergistically help each other to reach new sales heights:

The entertainment and devices division, which includes Xbox video games and Windows phones, saw sales fall 11% to $3.77 billion.

At least, it hasn't happened yet.

--JorgeA