Windows 8 - Deeper Impressions

JorgeA

Here's another one:

Loved it! My favorite line is where he says,

I can personalize my Start Screen, not with a nice wallpaper like before, but I can choose up to three colors, and rearrange the tiles any way I like. How fun!

:D

And this one is quite perceptive:

Windows 8 is natively connected to the Cloud, so that we can keep tabs on every single detail of your personal life and make sure we know every single move you make on your PC, so that we can sell your infromation for big bucks.

--JorgeA

That book is an excellent read JorgeA.

To light things up a bit, I know you probably all seen it but...

youtube ?v=m0jUPJJC6EM

ciHnoN, that one is actually a new one. When the first Windows 8 beta came out, there was this original one here ...

... which was simply hysterical ( and still is a must-see! ). Note for others, that use of Hitler is part of a long-running movie meme, the so-called "Downfall" parodies that have been created to cover every subject imaginable. Some may consider it poor taste, but we are way past that now. This meme is as widespread as the dancing baby almost 20 years ago.

Anyway, they nailed it so perfectly with the Start Menu removal! hehe :lol:"The following stay here: Chaitanya, Sinofsky, Simons, and Steinglass". and "Now we could lose our most loyal users". Come to think of it someone did link to this about a thousand posts ago.

P.S. I am a little hesitant to mention these two videos, but they are part of the worldwide criticism, and I think they are especially good ( but I won't embed them because of very strong language! ).

Windows 8 Reviews from the 'hood ...

... Example-2

To tell you the truth, this is exactly the kind of feedback I have personally gotten right here from some youngsters. Trust me, they are going to go to Mac before settling for this crap. No amount of colorful baby tiles will change it.

....To tell you the truth, this is exactly the kind of feedback I have personally gotten right here from some youngsters. Trust me, they are going to go to Mac before settling for this crap. No amount of colorful baby tiles will change it.

hahahahhahaha... funny funny funny videos! *looooooool* Thanks for posting them. :thumbup

"AND LET THEM USE WINDOWS 8 WITHOUT A TOUCHSCREEN." trlolololollolololollolo... I died.

Edited by ciHnoN

I unscrewed myself with Schwarzenegger's opinions about Tiles:

I hope that @MagicAndre doesn't mind all the German-related videos we've been putting up. ;) For a German speaker, it must be harder to get the full effect of the bunker video, since you're distracted by what they're really saying!

--JorgeA

The fanboy is strong on Neowin:

http://www.neowin.net/news/is-microsoft-blocking-mega-email-registrations-from-arriving-at-hotmailoutlookcom-accounts

Look at those comments! Now I don't really think MS is actively blocking those e-mails, but the way those Neowin dolts are comment is just nauseating. They are drown in fanboy-juice.

Also, when you said page 29, did you mean the discussion that ends on page 29, or the section "The Paradox of Technology" that starts on page 29?

The end paragraph before "The Paradox of Technology", the one in italics, starting with:

It usually takes five or six attempts to get a product right.

Which in the end, connects us unexpectedly :w00t: to the Nutrimatic Machine:

http://hitchhikers.wikia.com/wiki/Nutri-Matic_Drink_Synthesizer

http://www.technovelgy.com/ct/content.asp?Bnum=1385

and - conversely - to the Sirius Cybernetic Corporation:

http://hitchhikers.wikia.com/wiki/Sirius_Cybernetics_Corporation

whose Marketing Department definition :realmad: is not very different from the one that is emerging in this thread for the Microsoft Marketing Department ;).

I love concidences :wub: .

jaclaz

So THAT is why Windows 8 is so great? Wow... http://www.neowin.net/news/new-29999-windows-8-app-can-help-you-become-a-lawyer ...I guess such "Apps" are not possible to make in a website. lololololol ...I love the all white gray theme of it too, fits very well with Office 2013. I'll run and buya Win8 Pro right now... man, are those flying pigs out there? :o

You know, I think Microsoft did Internet and standards a great service for releasing Windows 8. Probably 1000s of developers like me suddenly "woke up" and realised how one shouldn't rely on one corporation for important things in life. Be it work or whatever. I never thought in my wildest dream that I would stop making applications and move 100% toward the web. Windows 8 made me change all that. Microsoft lost atleast one developer... not until next version... but... forever.

Trust takes years to earn but can disappear in less than a second.

Trust takes years to earn but can disappear in less than a second.

That is certainly true.

And then there are cases like myself slow burning over the countless incremental Microsoft mis-steps and backstabs that hit critical mass suddenly but was a verrrrry longtime coming.

Having said that, trying to remember my really trusting them is not easy because every single time they did something almost right they also did something wrong. WinXP was the last product I would consider indispensable ( but over-priced ) yet they locked down the theme engine in UxTheme.dll which causes grief to this very day when that file reverts back to default. Win95 was a great step forward but they limited the OSR upgrade paths and then saddled Win98 with bloat. The NT line was fairly pure IMHO but they could not help but radically overpricing it and also keeping it on the back burner for so long. Office was nice and all, well until you examined the giant Rube Goldberg collection of parts that needed to be assembled to make it work and still it is fragile and vulnerable to damage from unrelated Windows updates, not to mention shifting files from various 3rd party programs.

I want to say Visual Studio around version 6 but then I remember them royally screwing up the offline help system. I'm gonna have to say the last time I trusted them were the early MASM days, and maybe DOS 3.1. But then came DOS 4 and 5 ! :whistle: Nope, I got nuthin.