Windows 8 - Deeper Impressions

JorgeA

Welcome to the discussion!

The Metro IE behavior that you describe is very strange. Were you trying to set a different Metro-style browser as the default, and then this happened?

I guess that would be one way to try to deter users from installing anything other than the "preferred" apps. Or to drive them away entirely...

--JorgeA

Yes,that would b mine opinion,also..thats a salary we must 2 pay.

Dont know what means 'a different Metro-style browser' ?

There is only Metro IE style, no others.

Yes,Ive tried to return IE's default values in Control Panel,..tried to manage with Internet Options (in a desktop IE)..to restore all prefs..but nothing happened.

I was wondering if you were trying to install a different browser in Metro, like maybe Firefox or Chrome, and then as a result Metro IE got messed up. Not a big deal, just curious.

--JorgeA

It looks like tech future gets even more bleak than in those dystopic cyberpunk novels. The "evil corps" in those had no cheering fanbois applauding their deeds..

Those authors were not cynical enough. Even Orwell didn't go far enough - the surveillance in 1984 for example was forced, yet force isn't even needed! People feed their most personal data to Google, MS, Facebook, Apple freely, willingly and with joy.

Two great points! :(

--JorgeA

It looks like tech future gets even more bleak than in those dystopic cyberpunk novels. The "evil corps" in those had no cheering fanbois applauding their deeds..

Those authors were not cynical enough. Even Orwell didn't go far enough - the surveillance in 1984 for example was forced, yet force isn't even needed! People feed their most personal data to Google, MS, Facebook, Apple freely, willingly and with joy.

Yeah. Although, these corporations know all this already. That, it is easier with sugar than force. They start early in the schools. dumbing down the population and wasting years of their lives to become... well, good "consumers".

Unless something major happens to humanity as whole to make people "wake up"... the future is much dark. It is amazing how people give away their freedoms, even in small scale as inside computers, with their data on cloud. Just amazing. They all act like prisoners, servants, many other words would fit as well.

I doubt it will be fixed or stopped though. People have always been dumb and stupid. (most of them) ...those few who see and know, well... they got no chance.

Oh well, Surface is surely a hit..

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20130130PD209.html?mod=2

Microsoft's Windows 8 Pro-based Surface tablet, which is set to release on February 9, will only have an initial shipment volume of one million units, far lower than the four million shipments of the company's Surface RT tablet when launched, according to sources from the upstream supply chain.

And:

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20130129PD216.html

There have been about two million Windows RT tablets shipped globally, fewer than the 4-4.5 million units originally expected to be shipped as of the end of 2012, and actual sales so far are likely to be less than one million units, according to Taiwan-based supply chain makers.

Since Microsoft announced Surface in mid-2012, some partners gave up plans to develop Windows RT tablets, resulting in the launch of Surface RT and only several other Windows RT tablets developed by Asustek Computer, Samsung Electronics, Lenovo and Dell, the sources pointed out. Sales of all other Windows RT tablets are estimated at about 4000,000 units, short of original expectations, the sources indicated.

The far below originally expected sales performance for Windows RT tablets is mainly because a large number of applications are not compatible with Windows RT and sales prices are relatively high, the sources said. Since Microsoft will ship the Windows 8-based Surface Pro soon, prices for Surface RT are likely to be lowered to clear inventories, the sources noted.

A bit OT but kind'a on topic regarding the lock-downing of Windows 8 systems... http://linux.slashdo...msung-notebooks ...I think they are just testing the waters before a total lock-down of all devices.

Samsung notebooks can be turned into a brick if booted just one time via UEFI into Linux. Even the firmware does not boot anymore. Some reports in the Ubuntu bug tracker system report that such notebooks can not be recovered without replacing the main board.
Edited by ciHnoN

Oh well, Surface is surely a hit..

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20130130PD209.html?mod=2

Microsoft's Windows 8 Pro-based Surface tablet, which is set to release on February 9, will only have an initial shipment volume of one million units, far lower than the four million shipments of the company's Surface RT tablet when launched, according to sources from the upstream supply chain.

Wow, I didn't see that story yet, I wonder why it didn't show up at NeoWin? :lol:

If that is accurate, their expectations are much lower now, as they should be when entering the high-end "ultrabook" market instead of the mid-range tablet market. Surface RT should have been priced at the bottom-end at $250. The Surface Pro at $500 tops. Then they would have had a fighting chance. They may have started with good intentions but they must have used a buggy version of Excel to plot projections of competing against Samsung, Amazon, and Google/Android.

Sometime between development and release of Surface they clearly shifted to dreaming of becoming another Apple with over-priced boutique hipster devices ( remember the first Surface commercial ). I suspect it was that fawning wave of coverage in the tech press when the Surface secret project was announced, coverage that consisted mostly of "oooohs" and "aahhhhs", the kind of thing that boosts your ego non-sensibly. The truth of the matter is that they have no ability to compete on the bottom-end, because they know nothing about fair pricing that can drive sales. They also have no ability of competing on the top-end without a long established and predictable ( and slave labor ) hardware manufacturing base like Apple.

So once again, just what were they thinking? Seriously, the only real chance that they have is to buy an OEM manufacturer like Dell, lock, stock and barrel and set Apple-like expectations for a year or three into the future. But even that ship may have sailed because you have to move fast and it looks like Dell stock is already up 30% just on the rumors of going private. The upper management at Microsoft is so inept, so bureaucratic, so IBM-like, that it is unlikely they will accomplish anything, ever.

I was wondering if you were trying to install a different browser in Metro, like maybe Firefox or Chrome, and then as a result Metro IE got messed up. Not a big deal, just curious.

--JorgeA

I use Safari,(my default browser) everything works like a charm..

RIM renames itself BlackBerry, launches BB10 and all-touch Z10 smartphone ( TechSpot 2013-01-30 )

BlackBerry launches new BlackBerry 10 devices ( NeoWin 2013-01-30 )

You really gotta wonder if Microsoft's grand mobile strategy plan left out one important variable - competition. Perhaps their projections assumed the rest of the industry taking a year or two off? I see no easy way to get WP8 into the top three because Blackberry will compete in enterprise IT. If WebOS gets a foothold, and Linux gets established and Symbian sticks around ( and there are even more ), Microsoft will forever battle for the bottom rung of this ladder. The Windows Tiles interface just looks too busy for many peoples' tastes, and by simply utilizing a nice wallpaper almost any phone will instantly look more professional and attractive to the average purchaser. Ah, but the plan was to shoehorn it onto desktops in the Windows x86 universe so we all fall in love with it and then dutifully run out and buy WP8 phones right? Great plan Ballmer. Destroy Windows for nothing.

large-360.jpg.original.jpgwide-1.jpg.original.jpg

Microsoft: We will ship a full Windows 8 'Modern' version of Office ... someday ( NeoWin 2013-01-30 )

Now that's funny right there. The screenshot of the hideous Office 2013 Outlook posted upthread ( Post #1604) by ciHnoN isn't bad enough I guess!

outlook-2013-inline-reply.png

Samsung VS Apple: Retrial request denied! ( NeoWin 2013-01-30 )

Sorry to see this ruling, but it will be appealed. This case, this Judge, this Court is one of the last remaining firewalls standing between Apple and oblivion. Their most successful tactic, something like Microsoft, is to clear the playing field to establish a window of opportunity with no competition, exploit it and exit ( Microsoft only does the first two parts ) after product saturation to move on to other things. Great commenter there: "Her name should be Lucy D'Oh!". :yes:

EDIT: typo

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot

...You really gotta wonder if Microsoft's grand mobile strategy plan left out one important variable - competition. Perhaps their projections assumed the rest of the industry taking a year or two off? I see no easy way to get WP8 into the top three because Blackberry will compete in enterprise IT. If WebOS gets a foothold, and Linux gets established and Symbian sticks around ( and there are even more ), Microsoft will forever battle for the bottom rung of this ladder. The Windows Tiles interface just looks too busy for many peoples' tastes, and by simply utilizing a nice wallpaper almost any phone will instantly look more professional and attractive to the average purchaser. Ah, but the plan was to shoehorn it onto desktops in the Windows x86 universe so we all fall in love with it and then dutifully run out and buy WP8 phones right? Great plan Ballmer. Destroy Windows for nothing.

I dislike Android because of all the spyware they shove into it... BUT even this thing can "sideload" (Orwellian term for FREE)... back to WP8... you are right. I feel like in a prison with it. I like my Android tablet because I got a very calm and nice ANIMATED background... sooo soothing. I LOVE IT.

Another funny thing about Windows 8 tablets... they cannot act as a phone!!! hahahahhaha... I LOVE my Android tablet because, animated background... veeery lovely... and it has a super amoled screen... as in, TRUE BLACK... this display is SO AMAZING ( Samsung Tab 7.7 ) that if you use it for some 30 minutes, you can never go back to anything else... and most importantly... when I lay down on my bed, doing whatever I'm doing with it... I can also call friends, family, use the SMS / picture function.

Now, Windows 8 tablets completely missed on that important function. What did they think, I'm gonna buy a W8 tablet AND a WP8? And hold them both in my hand? *looooooooooool* it's ludicrous!

I even take my tablet to WC/Toilet. The phone functionality is of utmost importance. I got more family members, older ones which also use Android because they use it in kitchen and all over the home... because they only need ONE device and can be reachable + surf or listen to radio with it etc.

Imagine buying a Windows 8 tablet... 'loooooooool'... we would have to hang a WP8 on our neck too. That's why I cannot buy a Windows 8 tablet AT ALL. Even if it was $50! It's useless if I cannot use it a my phone too. Having 100 devices hanging around you is soooo not something I want to do.

Now, if only Ballmer would read this. :)

What do others think about Office 364 and subscriptions in general ( I'm really lovin the Register these days ) ...

Why Microsoft's Office 2013 Subscription Model Will Flop ( Dvorak 2013-01-29 )

Microsoft tries to sell home Office users on subscription pricing C'mon... We'll give you storage 'n' Skype minutes ( UK Register 2013-01-29 )

Microsoft Office 2013 vs. Office 365: Is either right for you? Microsoft is dangling the bait. Should you bite? ( UK Register 2013-01-30 )

Help us out here: What's the POINT of Microsoft Office 2013? From Clippy to touch, Reg man Tim drills into Redmond's crown jewels ( UK Register 2013-01-30 )

Is it Microsoft or MicroDell? ...

Microsoft's Dell billions have Windows 8 strings attached If you can't convince them, buy them... ( UK Register 2013-01-30 )

MicroDell: It's All About the Margins ( The Street 2013-01-23 )

Should Microsoft Buy Dell? ( Seeking Alpha 2013-01-23 )

More stuff about Blackberry ...

RIM blows on the dice, gets ready for its FINAL THROW Desperate to get out of Last Chance Saloon crapgame ( UK Register 2013-01-30 )

Smartphone stragglers: Microsoft and BlackBerry battle to secure third place After Android and iOS, it's still anybody's game ( The Verge 2013-01-30 )

BlackBerry 10 launches with 70,000 apps including Skype, Whatsapp and Angry Birds ( NeoWin 2013-01-30 )

And finally ...

Bill Gates wants to rid the world of polio within six years ( NeoWin 2013-01-30 )

I wonder if by Polio he really meant Microsoft ? :lol:

EDIT: interesting comment in that Register article about Dell ...

As a Dell employee, I think all the internal emails about the XPS 10 that we're getting sum up how well this Microsoft deal will go.

XPS 10 is Dell's version of the Surface RT. Pretty much as soon as this launched we've been getting emails about a "great offer" to own one, with a far, far bigger staff discount that the (terrible) discount we normally get. This is something that never happens - Its cheaper to buy a Dell from PC World(!!!) than using the staff discount and buying direct, and the response from senior management has been "well then, go to PC world"

The volume and frequency of these literally begging emails to buy this RT indicates theres a warehouse in China stuffed to the gunnels with this piece of junk that Microsoft dictated and nobody wants.

They can try and blame OEM's, but this is one OEM that rolled over and did exactly what Balmer requested. Net result is Michael Dells next purchase is going to be a excavator, to dig a gargantuan hole to bury all these unwanted and unsold units.

Icing on the cake was our Windows 2012 training, with course materials provided directly by Microsoft. The first four or five slides were all about why a touch interface is a good idea on a server - First time I've ever heard a whole classroom howl with laughter at an operating system training slide deck!

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot

As a Dell employee, I think all the internal emails about the XPS 10 that we're getting sum up how well this Microsoft deal will go.

XPS 10 is Dell's version of the Surface RT. Pretty much as soon as this launched we've been getting emails about a "great offer" to own one, with a far, far bigger staff discount that the (terrible) discount we normally get. This is something that never happens - Its cheaper to buy a Dell from PC World(!!!) than using the staff discount and buying direct, and the response from senior management has been "well then, go to PC world"

The volume and frequency of these literally begging emails to buy this RT indicates theres a warehouse in China stuffed to the gunnels with this piece of junk that Microsoft dictated and nobody wants.

They can try and blame OEM's, but this is one OEM that rolled over and did exactly what Balmer requested. Net result is Michael Dells next purchase is going to be a excavator, to dig a gargantuan hole to bury all these unwanted and unsold units.

Icing on the cake was our Windows 2012 training, with course materials provided directly by Microsoft. The first four or five slides were all about why a touch interface is a good idea on a server - First time I've ever heard a whole classroom howl with laughter at an operating system training slide deck!

hahahahahahaha they are really nuts, as if Windows 8 isn't bad enough, they put this Metro crap in Windows Server 2012 too. I tried it a bit... try hitting that start screen ONE PIXEL in a remote desktop window or vm console... you want to kill yourself after 2 tries... imagine handling 20 servers. :D

About Office 365... cloud... readonly documents if you don't pay... yey! DRM enabled on your own documents. Why would ANYONE use this crap? If you can't touch it, you don't own it. ...so yeah, MS can stuff it somewhere.

@CharlotteTheHarlot: Great posts as always! So great that I have added this thread to my daily news read routine. hehe ...Thanks! =)

This is not shaping up to be a very happy day over at NeoWin ...

It's the final day (for most people) to get cheap Windows 8 upgrades ( NeoWin 2013-01-31 )

Starting on February 1st, the Windows 8 Pro upgrade edition will be available via download and at retail stores for $199.99. The regular Windows 8 upgrade edition will be priced at $119.99, while the Windows 8 Pro Pack will cost $99.99. Finally, the optional Windows 8 Media Center Pack, which can be downloaded for at the moment, will cost $9.99 starting on Friday.

We contacted Microsoft to ask exactly what time the prices would go up for the Windows 8 upgrades and were told it would happen at 2 am Pacific Time on Friday. However, it's not clear if that's worldwide or just for the US market.

Besides the original launch in October, this will be the absolute peak sales day for Windows 8. After this, there is nothing. It's over until the next version. Theme Song:

iSuppli: Microsoft Surface RT has sold 680,000 to 750,000 units ( NeoWin 2013-01-31 )

CNet.com reports that, according to iSuppli, Microsoft shipped about 1.25 million units of the Surface RT tablet in the fourth quarter of 2012. Actual sales of the tablet, however, were estimated by iSuppli to be much lower, at around 680,000 to 750,000 units. iSuppli also claims that returns of the tablet were "very high" but numbers were not revealed.

A separate report from IDC on the entire tablet industry in the last quarter doesn't even show Microsoft in the top five in the list of companies that had the most shipments of tablets. The report claims that Microsoft shipped "just shy of 900,000 units into the channel." Apple had the most tablet shipments for the quarter at 22.9 million units, followed by Samsung with 7.9 million units and Amazon with 6 million tablets.

This thread is an open invitational to all prospective psychologists that are seeking case studies to further their education. There will be many future patients in here displaying various cries for help. Only a few comments so far, check back later today for much more fun. "Denial". It ain't just a river in Egypt anymore. Theme Song: Welcome To My Nightmare.

Gabe Newell: Apple, not Microsoft, is biggest threat to Steam Box ( NeoWin 2013-01-31 )

Those same prospective psychologists should visit this thread as well later today. The discussion will have on display all manner of vicious attacks on this ex-Softie who has the courage to speak his own mind about his former company. Future shrinks will easily spot the symptoms of antisocial behavior by unstable people rife with hatred and lashing out at their enemies, real or imagined. Theme Song: Crazy Train.