Windows 8 - Deeper Impressions

JorgeA

Microsoft has said it has sold 60 million licenses for Windows 8

too bad (or good), this is "hear-say" as they would say in court...

and to who did they sell so many licenses? - does this number include poor countries like africa where you get legal windoze for 1$ ?

did they sold 50 mil licenses to running bushman and other 10 to "the world" ? :P

Microsoft has said it has sold 60 million licenses for Windows 8

too bad (or good), this is "hear-say" as they would say in court...

and to who did they sell so many licenses? - does this number include poor countries like africa where you get legal windoze for 1$ ?

did they sold 50 mil licenses to running bushman and other 10 to "the world" ? :P

I think some people have made a distinction between Windows 8 licenses that are actually in the hands of end-users, vs. licenses that manufacturers obtained for installation on PCs to be sold. Microsoft has been unclear on this point when talking about the 60 million, so the speculation is that most of those are in PCs yet to be built, or built but not yet sold to customers.

That's not very flattering for Microsoft either, of course.

--JorgeA

Another Bagdad Bob is at it again... *lol*

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsofts-windows-business-lead-on-windows-8-sales-its-a-solid-start

"Microsoft's Windows business lead on Windows 8 sales: "It's a solid start"" - Microsoft's recently named chief financial officer of its Windows Division.

lolololololloolol

Yeah, that's pretty funny, for the reasons in the post just above this one!

--JorgeA

It seems that it's not only Microsoft's customers who are suffering... http://macperformanceguide.com/AppleCoreRot-intro.html I know a bit OT but read his points, very relevant and some sound very similar to what MS is doing with Win8.

Man, so much of that sounds so very familiar:

■OS X is degrading into a base for an entertainment platform. As it stands, the trend is entirely downhill for serious work

■Useful functionality is prohibited in the name of security. No choice— comply or you’re not in the Apple Store and it doesn’t matter if your users demand the features or not.

■Censorship is the wrong term (censorship applying only to the state against its citizens), Apple’s iron hand over what constitutes a “right and proper” application leaves no room for disagreement— Apple is lord and master and final judge on what is “acceptable”, both in design and content.

■The trend to a new breed of “shallow” features: those useful only for beginners and entertainment, coupled with serious bugs or workflow impairments for everyone else. Makeup over pimples.

■The general dumbing-down of features in every Apple OS X program. Arbitrary removal of functionality such as keyboard shortcuts, or simply removal of features entirely.

■The general trend to introducing stupidly inappropriate iOS-isms into OS X (e.g., Mission Control).

Thanks for the post. I'll be going through the rest of the pages for the details.

--JorgeA

Microsoft's Windows business lead on Windows 8 sales: "It's a solid start" [update] ( NeoWin 2013-02-04 )

Oh please, "It's a solid start". What she is really saying is that the long monopolized OEM distribution channel is working exactly as expected. What's the news here really? Wake me up when the OEM manufacturers grow a spine and refuse to be used like a $20 hooker. It really is a shame that this was allowed to continue unabated. Sure they distribute 60 million licenses into the captive OEM and corporate channels. It has been this way since forever. Tami Reller isn't really saying anything here at all. I'm starting to think it should be illegal for any operating system to be pre-installed. As radical as that sounds, and believe me I never thought this way for decades, we are now completely used to this institutionalized corruption of Windows lock-in via the status quo and any thoughts to the contrary are actually considered strange.

Microsoft: People are quickly learning to use Windows 8 ( NeoWin 2013-02-04 )

Another lesson in 'how to mis-interpret telemetry. The real story is the blatant collection of all manner of user data and what they allegedly deduce from it. Ironically Microsoft and their Zealots are on a Jihad attacking Google for exactly the same thing. If it wasn't for all the other problematic Windows 8 issues ( GUI, Start Menu, Aero, etc ), user privacy and spyware telemetry would be right in the forefront. Pretty clever really. Mangle the user interface to keep everyone busy elsewhere while they make further inroads into monitoring the users' every single action.

Microsoft: No new Windows RT devices on sale this spring ( NeoWin 2013-02-04 )

Bad news for Paul 'Windows RT is the Future' Thurrott. But seriously, who would intentionally manufacture and sell these dogs since they clearly represent one thing - Microsoft lock-in.

Microsoft’s PC Partners Continue to Seek Windows Alternatives ( Thurrott 2013-02-04 )

Oh Paul. Really. This one is especially embarrassing ...

With friends like these, it’s no wonder Microsoft started making its own PCs. This week, HP, the world’s largest maker of computers, launched a portable computer running Google’s lackluster Chrome OS. And it’s not alone: Lenovo, the second-largest maker of the PCs in the world, also announced a Chromebook recently, joining Acer and Samsung. Why are Microsoft’s biggest partners actively working against the company?

Although it’s understandable that PC makers don’t want all their eggs in one basket, the Microsoft partnership has resulted in the dominant PC platform, one that still garners over 90 percent market share after a full 20 years at the top. But PC makers have routinely tried to undercut Microsoft and Windows, from the days of IBM’s OS/2 and Lotus SmartSuite to the Linux-based netbooks of several years ago.

Say what? He is practically accusing the hardware OEMs of being disloyal. Loyal to whom? He clearly expects loyalty to Microsoft and not the customers. Anyway, the way I remember things is that the hardware OEMs were usually taking $50 to $100 profit on all the computers they sold over the past three decades, whether they were a $2,000 sale or $1,000 or $500. In other words, after assembling the entire computer and assuming all the risks and dealing with warranties and returns and all the bad karma, they squeezed out a tiny profit roughly equal to Microsoft's cut from the operating system. What an incredible scam Gates enjoyed there. The worst part is that Windows problems almost always got directed right back at the computer manufacturer and not Redmond itself. It is almost laughable the predicament that these companies find themselves in. I am no fan of Chrome or Android, but even Stevie Wonder should be able to see where this is going. Microsoft is going to get crushed in the long run because the OEMs will ultimately tire of being the whipping boy for Microsoft and their clever offloading of all responsibility for their mistakes and bugs to others.

And talk about Karma. Recall when Microsoft undercut Netscape with a completely free and included MSIE browser in Windows to torpedo their perceived enemy. This in itself was certainly not a criminal act ( I likened it to an auto company including a radio in a new car ) but it did lead to severe government scrutiny. What goes around, comes around I guess. Now here we are, approaching a point with a free desktop/laptop operating system called Chrome, a free mobile operating system called Android, and a free browser ( also ) called Chrome, all from a completely new player using Microsoft's longstanding tactics right back against them. That's what I call Karma.

Please don't get me wrong. I am not on Team Google. Never was. The same as everyone else, over the years I have been re-sorting and re-ordering my personal preference of the three main players: Apple, Google and Microsoft, and it is truly unsettling to me personally that there is no clear moral or ethical winner. If I was forced at gunpoint to decide, the only thing I could say with certainty is that Microsoft would not be my first choice any longer. And this is completely due to their utterly cynical and selfish motives behind Windows 8 and Metro.

Microsoft has been unclear on this point when talking about the 60 million, so the speculation is that most of those are in PCs yet to be built, or built but not yet sold to customers.

or none of that listed

since there is no law-breaking rule for lying, they can make up whatever number just to keep stock positive

if they admit they are in the loss... well we all know what happens then :P

I will re-write this:

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-people-are-quickly-learning-to-use-windows-8

Fifty percent of users get through the out of box experience in less than 5 minutes. On the very first day, virtually everyone launches an app from the Start screen, finds the desktop, and finds the charms. Almost half of users go to the Windows Store on that first day. After two weeks, the average person doubles the number of tiles on Start.

In carpenter's/monkeys experiment terms:

Almost half of the subjects managed to open the toolbox in less than five minutes.

On the very first day virtually every subject managed to get hold of the hammer (by the handle), find nails and started planting them randomly on pieces of wood (provided separately form the toolbox).

More than 75% of the subjects hit the nails with the hammer on the head, with 20% hitting the point instead and only around 5% that tried planting them sideways.

The number of smashed fingers was extremely low.

Fifty percent asked (by grunting loudly and dancing frantically) for more nails within first day.

After two weeks the average subject would have doubled the number of pieces of wood nailed together.

None of the subject was able to craft anything classifiable as "artifact":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artifact_(archaeology)

anything produced was describable only as "two or more pieces of wood half-@§§edly nailed together at akward angles".

We find this experiment of utter relevance as it clearly shows how monkeys, after a minimal initial training, are perfectly capable of driving with force a hammer pointing at their fingers and completely miss them :whistle: .

jaclaz

Tami Reller is a worthy replacement for Sinofsky in terms of propaganda value. They have really made a great choice here.

By the way, the "60 Million" number is over one month old. have sales stopped by now or what? Where are their new sales numbers?

Edited by Formfiller

It seems that it's not only Microsoft's customers who are suffering... http://macperformanc...eRot-intro.html I know a bit OT but read his points, very relevant and some sound very similar to what MS is doing with Win8.

Man, so much of that sounds so very familiar:

■OS X is degrading into a base for an entertainment platform. As it stands, the trend is entirely downhill for serious work

■Useful functionality is prohibited in the name of security. No choice— comply or you're not in the Apple Store and it doesn't matter if your users demand the features or not.

■Censorship is the wrong term (censorship applying only to the state against its citizens), Apple's iron hand over what constitutes a "right and proper" application leaves no room for disagreement— Apple is lord and master and final judge on what is "acceptable", both in design and content.

■The trend to a new breed of "shallow" features: those useful only for beginners and entertainment, coupled with serious bugs or workflow impairments for everyone else. Makeup over pimples.

■The general dumbing-down of features in every Apple OS X program. Arbitrary removal of functionality such as keyboard shortcuts, or simply removal of features entirely.

■The general trend to introducing stupidly inappropriate iOS-isms into OS X (e.g., Mission Control).

Thanks for the post. I'll be going through the rest of the pages for the details.

--JorgeA

np! ...what's creepy is basically we can remove OS X and put Windows 8 (or any Windows) and almost all points match up perfectly.

Not sure if I should laugh or cry.

OT :ph34r:, but not much ;) an interesting screen capture of Solitaire Games here:

The computer I was using has a native resolution of 1600×900. A screenshot that managed to capture the entirety of Solitaire runs about 5200×900. The only way we could get it to fit in this post was to crop it to 640×3700. And turn it sideways.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2012/08/windows-8-is-not-good-for-gamers/

And a nice logo :whistle: :

xlarge.jpg

jaclaz

since there is no law-breaking rule for lying, they can make up whatever number just to keep stock positive

Well, that's true!

I guess we'll have to wait and see what other information trickles out over time. Even MSFT couldn't keep a disaster secret for long. Easier to explain away, though, would be a mediocre sales performance -- "we're in this for the long haul, people just recently upgraded to Win7," blah blah blah. But even there the truth would ultimately come out.

--JorgeA

And a nice logo :whistle: :

xlarge.jpg

LOVED that logo!!!

Anybody feel like printing up a few thousand of those on adhesive backing, then going around to computer stores and sticking them on Surfaces and new PCs? :sneaky:

--JorgeA

Did anybody notice that Dell is attempting to go "Private"? Do you think that may be significant to Dell's snuggling up to MS?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/05/us-dell-buyout-idUSBRE9140NF20130205

Dell did not give specifics on what it would do differently as a private entity to convince skeptics who say it missed the big industry shift to tablet computers, smartphones and high-powered (blah-blah-spelling error)

http://www.dell.com/us/p/d/campaigns/windows-8-consumer