Windows 8 - Deeper Impressions

JorgeA

MS sinks even lower:

http://www.scroogled.com/TheLatest

"Billboard near Google HQ spreads Scroogled message"

billboard.jpg

"Morning commuters near Google's headquarters in California's Silicon Valley are greeted by a new Outlook.com billboard educating Gmail users that Google goes through personal emails to sell ads February 7, 2013."

Well, thanks! If you want to see more patience, read this:

http://channel9.msdn.com/Forums/Coffeehouse/New-anti-Win8-video-is-making-rounds?page=7

:lol: I couldn't get past his pathetic Start Menu diatribe. Certifiable MetroTard, and reminds me of one particular NeoKook actually.

The fact is that practically nobody used the heirarchy menu ("classic menu") part of the start menu. Sure, people used the front part of the start menu, but that's just a collection of fixed buttons (control panel, my documents, shutdown etc) and a random selection of your most used apps.

So I stand by my assertion: The start menu was a badly collected assortment of randomly changing crap that people didn't use because they were busy pinning the apps they wanted or using search or desktop shortcuts for the other apps. Practically nobody used the dumping ground of the heirarchy and few people used the small number of ever-shifting randomly selected apps on the front screen.

Complete garbage. What's funny is that this 'Tard is so completely repulsed by organization and structure that he continually misspells "hierarchy". It's sad though, he is so wrapped up in rationalizing his new Metro toy that he mindlessly attacks everything that is different than what he prefers. That is a mental illness, like a form of racism or something. Hey. maybe they have an app for that.

The Start Menu was never an end in itself, it is a convenient, collapsible, unobtrusive toolbox or drawer that is there when you need it. You don't throw away toolboxes or drawers that you seldom use, especially when they manufacture false information stating they are obsolete because of phony telemetry. That is some Grade-A Incredible dopiness right there. I'm not even sure where he gets "7" items from, or "random selection" or any of his childish assertions. It is a virtual folder pooling links and namespace items and pretty much 99% of everything that exists can be obtained from there if you choose to.

QCYj9kQ.jpg

But most importantly it is a constant. If you change Desktop Icons, QuickLaunch or Pin-UnPin stuff elsewhere, you always have a constant to fall back on. It comes in exceedingly handy walking someone over the phone to specific items. Remove the constants and all that is left is user customized chaos. I guess that explains why the mind of the MetroTard is so disorganized since they fail to grasp order. No wonder they gravitate to Playskool Metro. It represents taking the Start "drawer" out of the desk and dumping the contents all over the desktop and then spreading them all out one deep and declaring it an organized program launcher. ~barf~. :puke:

I guess there are really only two kinds of people in the world now, Normal and MetroTards. In the past we could co-exist because the nature of Windows allowed us to remain normal and organized and allowed them to mess things up at will. But now Microsoft has purposefully built Windows 8 and Metro down to the lowest common denominator, MetroTards, and it is becoming clear we cannot exist in the same space. The old saying is don't argue with an idi0t because they'll drag us down to their level and win from experience. But I have always thought to try anyway because something might rub off on them. I may have been wrong. They really appear to be irredeemable narcissistic children.

Here are some more appropriate pix for MetroTards like him addressing one of their main tactics ...

islfcG3.jpgxpIySUW.jpgXpVAw3Z.jpg

( originals 1, 2, 3 )

EDIT: typos, updated image URLs, and again

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot

What's funny is that this 'Tard is so completely repulsed by organization and structure that he continually misspells "hierarchy". It's sad though, he is so wrapped up in rationalizing his new Metro toy that he mindlessly attacks everything that is different than what he prefers.

I had enough sparing sessions with EvilD to know how he ticks. I am pretty sure he doesn't really hate the start menu as much as he likes to claim.

Here he effectively praises Stardock's Start8 for "content creators":

http://channel9.msdn.com/Forums/Coffeehouse/Microsoft-still-in-denial-phase-over-W8-possible-relaunch-in-February/e706d244f77a4796a6bba15201468d7c

His trick is just to defend MS at all costs. If they would re-introduce the start menu, he would change tune about metro within the second. He's one of the reasons why I still post there.. discussing with such a personality is quite the rhetorical training.

Too bad he resorts to "tl;dr" when all else fails.

If you want to see him getting really angry, read this:

http://channel9.msdn.com/Forums/Coffeehouse/Microsoft-continues-to-please-their-existing-customers?page=3

Sometimes I wonder If the good MS guys have not looked at the calendar recently and realized it is 2013.

There are NO meaningful "added features" to MS Office since Office 2000 (yes, you read that right office-two-thousand),

The stupid change of the format of the file has evidently made easier for the competitors to reach even better compatibility that before (and anyway the compatibility had reached something like 99,95% even with the old proprietary .doc and .xls).

As a matter of fact, besides the total aberration which is the "ribbon", when you dig deeper, some functions were MISSING in later versions, example:

There are so many valid replacements for Office, some completely Free/Open Source, some Commercial, but priced correctly, that the actual costs for a company will be the time spent to test them to choose the one that they will use INSTEAD of the new-license-formula-Office or Office 364.

jaclaz

Another must try Office alternative is Kingsoft Office:

http://www.kingsoftstore.com/download-office/index

That thing is like a 1-1 copy of MS Office XP. It has even VBA macros and com-addins.

I still would recommend Softmaker though, because the Kingsoft software IS a very outrageous to-the-letter copy of MS Ofice, with pretty much no innovation of their own. One could almost think they have stolen the source code or something. But still, the way MS behaves recently, I would rather promote that one than Microsoft's original.

So, if you need a MS Office look alike alternative...

If I were the maker of an alternative commercial office applications suite, I'd be budgeting extra advertising $$$ right now. This is the time to pounce, the moment when the shock is biggest.

One can hope. I tried LibreOffice recently ( and had a few versions of OpenOffice previously ). I just cannot shake the feeling that it is not ready yet, but that may just be me. Still, I have all the MS Office versions and frankly doubt Microsoft will ever develop something further in Office requiring a purchase of a later version. They'll have to do much more than a fancy ZIP file disguised as an Office .XLSx to get me interested again.

Yeah, I tried LibreOffice too, and found it lacking, especially on the documentation side. But I'm getting more and more intrigued by the SoftMaker Office suite, which has received good reviews for feature set and high compatibility with MS Office:

http://www.computing.co.uk/ctg/review/2137376/softmaker-office-2012-review

http://notebooks.com/2012/12/31/softmaker-office-2012-an-affordable-alternative-to-ms-office-review/

Oddly, one of the chief complaints about the program is its "dated" interface (meaning, no annoying and unnavigable ribbon). :rolleyes:

When it comes time to get a new office suite, this will be my top candidate.

Can you believe what has elapsed just in the past year and a half? They have taken their two most important cash cows which just happen to be the two most formidable juggernauts in all personal computer history, Windows and Office and not only destroyed them but simultaneously declared war on their most loyal users!

I know I can't believe it. The only thing I remember of this magnitude before was when IBM turned the industry upside down with MCA in the PS/2 and open hostility erupted eventually killing their leadership finally resulting in them selling off the PC division and exiting completely. If you lived in the Apple universe then perhaps Jobs being squeezed out was a large event also. But this one with Microsoft is absolutely stunning to me. It wouldn't be such a big deal if they hadn't first elbowed their way into the OS monopoly and assumed leadership. This is what makes this so distasteful. It is a violation of their position of responsibility and now borders on criminal.

I hope some day the tale is written and we learn who were the architects of this disaster. I want names.

I hear you. It's like a talented adolescent who's bent on frying her brain with intoxicants for the sake of being with the "in" crowd.

And if the whole strategy does make MS crash and burn, you can bet your bottom dollar that there'll be a book (or two, or three) written about the disaster.

--JorgeA

The icing on the cake is that even Office 365 "Home Premium" (the 99$ - 5 devices home version) seems to be somewhat of a ploy to force people onto the more expensive subscriptions. Here are licensing terms:

Only one person at a time may use the software on each licensed computer or licensed device. The service/software may not be used for commercial, non-profit, or revenue-generating activities.

Basically you're only allowed to make your homework with it!

And... given that customers' files will be (more likely than not) stored in MS's SkyDrive, what do you think are the chances that they'll rifle through them for evidence that the customer is using 365 for these kinds of unauthorized purposes?

--JorgeA

But most importantly it is a constant. If you change desktop icons, quicklaunch or pin-unpin stuff elsewhere you always have a constant to fall back on. It comes in exceedingly handy walking someone over the phone to specific items. Remove the constants and all that is left is user customized chaos. I guess that explains why the mind of the MetroTard is so disorganized since they fail to grasp order. No wonder the gravitate to Playskool Metro. It represents taking the Start "drawer" out of the desk and dumping the contents all over the desktop and then spreading them all out one deep and declaring it an organized program launcher. ~barf~. :puke:

LOL, that's a good point. Probably all of us have, at some time or another, served as phone tech support for a friend or family member. The structure of the Start Menu, where multiple items are nested within alphabetized category folders, is much more predictable than that of the Start Screen where apparently it's all a big jumbled mess and the hapless relative at the other end of the line is blindly sorting through screens and screens of tiles.

--JorgeA

By the way, after some testing, Kingsoft Office has also far better compability with the MS Office file format than Libre Office.

So this and Softmaker are far better than LibreOffice. In fact I would say LibreOffice/OpenOffice is the worst alternative and the best thing that happened to Microsoft in this area. People try that, get disappointed (rightfully so!) and crawl back to MS Office. If the tech press would hype Softmaker (or Kingsoft), MS would get finally some competition. But they are hyping the worst one instead. I guess it's just because it's FOSS and all that, and the tech press still loves that.

Either way, FORGET Libre/Open Office. The only ones this thing is helping is MS themselves.

Edited by Formfiller

I admit it I pretty much only read this thread here. I think some do the same.

So, in case you missed it, there is no right-click context menu to scan a file with the built-in anti-virus of W8! Just found the thread with the details:

Edited by Formfiller

That really is quite the story. The comments are a must read also. Initially a couple of defenders show up planning to throw the discussion off track but they are soon overwhelmed by actual Softies verifying the bulk of the facts.

MS sinks even lower:

billboard.jpg

"Morning commuters near Google's headquarters in California's Silicon Valley are greeted by a new Outlook.com billboard educating Gmail users that Google goes through personal emails to sell ads February 7, 2013."

Unbelievable. This is from hiring a DC political hack who adds nothing to the company except controversy. They're actually gonna drum up sympathy for Google, not to mention retaliation. Real dumb.

P.S. I didn't quote the Scroogled URL because they don't deserve any clicks.

MS sinks even lower:

billboard.jpg

Unbelievable. This is from hiring a DC political hack who adds nothing to the company except controversy. They're actually gonna drum up sympathy for Google, not to mention retaliation. Real dumb.

P.S. I didn't quote the Scroogled URL because they don't deserve any clicks.

That is basically as low class, trailer trash as possible imho. It's sooo low. I don't like Google nor any big corporation pretending to be cute and cuddly but this kind junk is beyond low.

It is the kind of useless sports thing "my team is better than yours", as if they themselves, they being Microsoft are such a cute little doggy. *LOL* ...this is them trying to push the lowest common denominator button, what they are missing is, well hopefuly, that techies are smarter than average Joe Sixpack. As a matter of fact, some of the most enlightened people I have known been techies.

This kind of b.s. doesn't win nothing in the tech community. No one with a Gmail is going to switch to Outlook.com. Frankly, I use Google Apps for email (only) and it works great using a POP3 client (Outlook). As if I would switch all my domains from Gmail now because I saw that ad.

Disclaimer: I DO actually wish and dream that I would and could live in a trailer, true, it has been my life long dream, so I do by no means putting people living in a trailer down. It is a figure of speech using trailer trash in some context, however.

Edited by ciHnoN

This kind of b.s. doesn't win nothing in the tech community. No one with a Gmail is going to switch to Outlook.com. Frankly, I use Google Apps for email (only) and it works great using a POP3 client (Outlook). As if I would switch all my domains from Gmail now because I saw that ad.

I'm with you. And more than that, it's really a dangerous game for Microsoft to play (accusing Google of invading people's privacy), as we have seen time and time again in this thread. It's truly the pot calling the kettle black. It's too late at night even for me to start combing through the thread for links, but Google could shoot back with ads warning people not to put risqué photos on their SkyDrives, or informing the public that MS is helping to build a network of government surveillance cameras. Apple could very fittingly (though probably itself hypocritically) revive the famous "Big Brother" ad from 1984.

--JorgeA