Windows 8 - Deeper Impressions

JorgeA

And here are the notebook bestsellers:

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Electronics-Laptop-Computers/zgbs/electronics/565108/ref=pd_ts_zgc_e_565108_morl?pf_rd_p=1306419382&pf_rd_s=right-5&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=2956501011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=139Y5693F5201N2CPJ8M

First ranked:

laptop.png

Only number 5 runs W8, the rest are Mac and W7, with the exception of the Chromebook.

Edited by Formfiller

Top 100 desktop PC bestellers on Amazon:

That's pretty remarkable -- and a good find, too (thanks!). Four of the six top sellers there are Apple computers, and the only Win8 system is the last one on the list.

--JorgeA

Four of the six top sellers there are Apple computers, and the only Win8 system is the last one on the list.

Please take into consideration that a number of people may not like to be treated as demented by kids (please read as Geniuses) in an Apple Store and resolve to buying their Mac on Amazon....

jaclaz

Four of the six top sellers there are Apple computers, and the only Win8 system is the last one on the list.

Please take into consideration that a number of people may not like to be treated as demented by kids (please read as Geniuses) in an Apple Store and resolve to buying their Mac on Amazon....

Point well taken. Still, considering the historical ratios of total PC vs. Mac unit sales, this ought to be telling the 'Softies something about how Windows 8 is being received. :puke:

--JorgeA

EDIT: missing word

Edited by JorgeA

Maybe slightly OT, but you should enjoy this brief romp back through time to watch clips of commercials for Windows 1 -> Windows 8. You should really love the host for Windows 1. He hasn't changed much in his style since then. LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=vTsp6WH_kkk

Nice find, thanks!

Wow, that really was who I thought it was in the first commercial!?!

Note the line in the ad starting at about 2:40. Considering the direction Windows 8 is pointing toward, we could modify the statement there a little bit. "It used to be difficult for personal computers to do more than one thing at a time. Starting with Windows 9, it's impossible. Stop multitasking, it's dated and cheesy." :whistle:

--JorgeA

Yeah. Sounded just like his "Metro, Metro, Metro!" speech, didn't it? LOL He really hasn't changed at all.

EDIT: Well, he had a little more hair then. :)

EDIT2: With that coat and his attitude, I guess he was going for the "humorous" infomercial/used car salesman role. Little did we know that he would keep that role for over 27 years. LOL

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

Yeah. Sounded just like his "Metro, Metro, Metro!" speech, didn't it? LOL He really hasn't changed at all.

EDIT: Well, he had a little more hair then. :)

EDIT2: With that coat and his attitude, I guess he was going for the "humorous" infomercial/used car salesman role. Little did we know that he would keep that role for over 27 years. LOL

And here's who he was blatantly copying, badly ...

Even way back then they were ripping off everyting in sight :yes:

The one scene where it states:

Windows, the heartbeat of Microsoft.

If that's the case, then I'm guessing that version 8 has it on life support. :whistle:

But, seriously, I think we may be missing the boat somewhat. I would venture to say that most everyone that hangs around here, has written a line or two of code beyond the "hello, World" ditty. Either that or has a back ground in sys admin. We all have tendency to view a computer for what it is, a tool, a tool to get things done with. Now, average Joe Schmoe has a different view of the device, it is bring him pleasure and smooth his/her psyche because they just posted a great post on facebook, twitter or whatever.

In the February, 2013 issue of PCWorld at page 77, they have a graph showing how people use their laptops, it breaks out like this:

10% for Work

56% for home/personal

34% for both

So, average Joe Schmoe would appear to be the true market driver and a software company makes money by selling software or selling support.

Now, I can't see the corporate world going for Windows 8. What I do see though, is the corporate world saying we have our XP and 7 Licenses and our software licenses, so we are going to stay right where we are. Then the hardware manufactures would have a market left for the older versions and so would we. Prices will be higher because the market is smaller, but we would still be able to get what we want.

How ever this ends up shaking out, I think we can say good bye to cheap computers. The prices are going to go up and we will be stuck with it.

How ever this ends up shaking out, I think we can say good bye to cheap computers. The prices are going to go up and we will be stuck with it.

Say goodbye to cheap computers or low-end computers? Is the target audience of your post (this site) buying cheap computers?

Personally, I find believable erosion at the low end because there is a high amount of crossover with tablets but that crossover disappears as computers used for more specialized tasks get pricier. Tablets are generally lower in price so expect them to win the low-end market. Most business professionals, artists, and gamers aren't using the $350 Saturday morning special laptop from Walmart.

Prices may still rise even at the mid and high ends but we already have the upper bound set and it's what Apple charges, so if prices do go up, they will be between what we have now and what Apple charges, all other things being equal (hardware specs, materials, etc.)

Some people are of the opinion that computers are unrealistically cheap and have been for years, and we're seeing the results via OEMs considering leaving the market. This can actually be a good thing, even though prices rise. I'm thinking of the RAM market "crash" of 2001 where weaker vendors with lower quality products left a flooded market. Of course, price fixing via cartel was involved here, too, so it's not the purest example.

Say goodbye to cheap computers or low-end computers? Is the target audience of your post (this site) buying cheap computers?

By cheap I meant what we are paying for components these days as compared to what we spent for them in the 70's and 80's. You buy a reasonable 1 Tb hard drive for less than $100 (U.S.) today. But, I'm guessing that down the road a bit, that same drive is going to be closer $200 (U.S.). That is what I meant by cheap.

I think most users here build their own systems, with the exception of laptops.

You'd need a heavy downturn for a doubling in price. I think anything more than 25% across the board would be enough to kill the market. That's around a $125 increase for the average computer. Above this point I'd expect a snowball effect of people moving to tablets out of necessity given the enormous price disparity.

The alternative would be an increase in value, i.e. computers designed to last more than twice as long at double the price. Consumers generally don't buy into this mentality as they'd rather pay less up front, but it has worked for the automobile industry.

So, average Joe Schmoe would appear to be the true market driver and a software company makes money by selling software or selling support.

Now, I can't see the corporate world going for Windows 8. What I do see though, is the corporate world saying we have our XP and 7 Licenses and our software licenses, so we are going to stay right where we are. Then the hardware manufactures would have a market left for the older versions and so would we. Prices will be higher because the market is smaller, but we would still be able to get what we want.

I fear that your analysis is on the money: computers are going to rise in price as they become more of a specialized or "niche" product and tablets take over the low/consumer end.

The only imaginable ray of hope I see in such a development is that eventually Microsoft will feel secure enough about Windows 8 to give buyers a choice of UI. One of the major factors for forcing Metro on every new system was said to be their desire to jumpstart the market for Metro apps so that developers would get on board. As they feel better about that thanks to (presumed) success in the consumer sector, but with business customers still resisting downgrading to Win8, maybe they'll finally start offering that choice in a year or two or three.

--JorgeA