Windows 8 - Deeper Impressions

JorgeA

I don't think this dialog appears that way when you have another browser set as standard browser. Or does it? Can anyone test this?

I got Opera as default. I used a registry "hack" (manual edit) to fix it. Searched for "URL:H" in regedit as admin, find http and https, shell->open->command and alter in there. Then restart explorer.exe.

So, I would like Outlook to use Opera when opening URLs... check out this beauty... I am only allowed to either "Keep using Internet Explorer" or "Look for an App in store" ...Windows 8 locked prison:

( It is for my own safety of course. Silly me. Here I was thinking it was my PC rather than Microsoft's PC.) :ph34r:

win8locked.png

Great example photo there. It really sums up the problem. Honestly though, when I look at Windows 8 I cannot bring myself to get the slightest bit interested. Seeing those GUI elements is just plain offensive to my eyes. It is like using HTML+CSS to simulate Windows 1.0x. I tolerate webpages when I must, and the last thing I want to do is see them 24/7/365 as part of the Windows GUI. In all seriousness, I would much rather be in a plain text-mode DOS environment with colorful ANSI enhancements.

If I had the urge to tweak it I would be hacking the sh!t outta the registry and probably the only project I would like to see is one we talked about here way back ( see around #458 ), substituting all system and dialog font references to Comic Sans ( yep, that's why I do that ). That is clearly the one thing Sinofsky forgot to do because that font was clearly designed for Metro :lol:

You might think that, but it's the prevailing attitude in Redmond. I routinely hear PMs say stuff like "Whatever we do it's going to be unpopular, so we might as well do X", or dismissing concerns as "haters gonna hate". The bit that's not funny is that whilst some journalists and commentators seem to have enjoyed Microsoft-baiting - indeed it's commonplace for developers to assume that Microsoft is evil and that their software is terrible - that this leads to worse products for them in the end.

How many people have been online saying "Oh, actually Microsoft, Metro has some really nice apps, like Fruit Ninja, like the Bing news reader app, and the videos app - that's actually pretty neat" compared with how many people have just spread FUD by stating that it's the end of the Desktop, that not having a button in the bottom left is "so unintuitive as to make the OS unusable" or that "there is no demand for Metro".

And what percentage of people condemning Windows8 have actually used it on real hardware?

Exactly. It's almost a competitive sport online to see who can hate at Microsoft the most. And people wonder why Microsoft doesn't listen.

If you refuse to give Microsoft credit for the stuff they do right, they'll not pay attention to you when you complain when stuff is wrong. That's human nature. If you complain constantly, people tune you out.

If you want to know how Microsoft's PR will behave in the future, read those two linked threads. Short version: Expect even more obfuscation.

I definitely buy that as their thinking process: 'We might as well destroy Windows anyway because they are haterz and will say bad stuff no matter what we do', it fits the available evidence, they are MicroTards. It never enters their mind that the customer is who they serve, not themselves. Note the patented and now-institutionalized bunker mentality. It dovetails nicely with their other notable metal disorders like paranoia and envy. It makes them do stupid things. I wonder if this 'Tard will be one of the first on the chopping block when the layoffs begin. We'll look for his mea culpa at Mini-Microsoft when the hammer falls.

"If you refuse to give Microsoft credit for the stuff they do right, they'll not pay attention to you when you complain when stuff is wrong. That's human nature. If you complain constantly, people tune you out." is patently self-serving. It means: Do not complain constantly ( even if warranted ) because it makes us not listen. Wouldn't that be convenient for you! Sorry. We're not letting you off the hook. You own this fail. Also, I would like to see the entire list of what they have "done right". Where is it? It doesn't exist. :no: They have never done anything "right" since Windows 95 really, which was 95% right overall, especially when compared to its predecessor. They have been slipping up worse each time since. Their "rightness" trends 90% 85% 75% 60% ... until now at maybe 5-10% max because of the team of destroyers attacking and ruining everything in sight, Windows, Server, Office, Studio, EULAs and Consumer Rights, pretty much the whole nine yards. Crash and burn baby. No-one deserves it more. :yes:

Also, I would like to see the entire list of what they have "done right". Where is it?

Well, at least with Windows 8, it was right in the post.

According to him, done right in W8 is the following:

Microsoft, Metro has some really nice apps, like Fruit Ninja, like the Bing news reader app, and the videos app - that's actually pretty neat
Edited by Formfiller

Q+A Steve Ballmer. The Microsoft CEO explains the strategy behind his company’s most ambitious and strangest major product. ( Technology Review 2013-02-20 )

Steve Ballmer talks Surface, Windows 8 and the future of Microsoft ( NeoWin 2013-02-20 )

Steve Ballmer says Surface is a real business but won't dominate sales ( TechSpot 2013-02-20 )

Short Q&A with Ballmer. Clearly there must be some reason for all these recent interviews and sudden press from Gates and Ballmer. He doesn't really say much, in fact here is a perfect example of saying nothing at all, or rather, less than nothing, more like withholding, or not answering, okay, dodging. ...

Are you pleased with the sales of Surface?

I’m super-glad we did Surface. I think it is important—and not just for Microsoft but for the entire Windows ecosystem—to see integrated hardware and software.

Blah Blah Blah. The not-so-artful dodger in action. And there's that "Super" nonsense again. Ironically, he didn't need to avoid it at all. The guy asked "Are you pleased" which is just asking for an opinion, Ballmer could just say "yes" and still not be lying. Strange, it makes you wonder just how ticked off he is at the sales which explains why he just won't say anything.

It's worth a read, even though the interviewer clearly is either a Ballmer groupie or biased for Windows 8 as seen by these words: "the operating system’s gorgeous graphic design" and "Seeing the same graphical user interface across platforms is a wondrous thing". A little like Thurrott there. What on Earth has happened to journalism. ~sigh~ I wish I could have an hour each with these two clowns, Gates and Ballmer. I'll get some answers to real questions.

EDIT: added another link

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot

Wonderful world of Windows 8 basic theme.

http://www.foolsdesi...ic.php?f=1&t=11

Fool's design. :)

Good one! And so true. Perfect way to kick off your blog :thumbup

Do you think the MetroTards even vaguely understand the problem?

Thank you!

...haha, I doubt they will understand but one can only hope! It will be easy to fill it up with a lot if material from Windows 8, because it's full of foolish design elements. :D

EDIT: ps. I will create an account at Channel 9. I am highly curious how they will defend Microsoft regarding these foolish designs. Will report it back here so we can all have a nice laugh (or cry)! :ph34r:

Edited by ciHnoN

Microsoft's Mark Penn Mistake. The tech giant is treating Google like a political rival ( New Republic 2013-02-15 )

But the message is only part of Microsoft's misfire. The bigger problem is the whole mentality of the crusade against Google: that of a political campaign.

Saw this article mentioned at The Verge. Lots of details about the ant-Google campaign. I can't believe this was green-lit from management. Seems like a huge waste of company resources running a campaign that generates controversy, as if they don't already have enough of that already. From what I have read, as many people dislike these ads as those that are angry of Windows 8 or the Office license fiasco. I swear, Microsoft cannot do anything without screwing it up. Disclaimer: I am NOT on Team Google ( or Apple ). No way, no how.

EDIT: ps. I will create an account at Channel 9. I am highly curious how they will defend Microsoft regarding these foolish designs. Will report it back here so we can all have a nice laugh (or cry)! :ph34r:

I thought you had an account already. Weren't you banned? Anyway, the theme is that there is "too much negativity" there (and I am the one of the main reasons - that guy in the link is an admin btw). So I don't think your posts will survive long there now. I think the only reason why the tolerate me and the few other complainers is because of habit.

But if you still want to sign-up good luck. Beware though - EvilD is really persistent at defending MS at all costs.

Edited by Formfiller

I thought you had an account already. Weren't you banned? Anyway, the theme is that there is "too much negativity" there (and I am the one of the main reasons - that guy in the link is an admin btw). So I don't think your posts will survive long there now. I think the only reason why the tolerate me and the few other complainers is because of habit.

But if you still want to sign-up good luck. Beware though - EvilD is really persistent at defending MS at all costs.

Well, they love to ban me, that's for sure. Cannot stand the truth I guess. :D

So, just in case there are any real journalists left out there, here are a list of admittedly loaded questions for the next time the Pope grants you an audience ...

Fantastic set of questions there. Now, if only there were a journalist with both the tech knowledge and the guts to ask them...

Of course, NOT being asked tough questions was in all likelihood a condition for Gates granting the interview.

* Over twelve years ago you introduced "Activation" in Microsoft products, which instead of reducing privacy has popularized and reinvigorated it. Meanwhile legitimate owners rarely if ever get actual install media and are usually stuck with recovery partitions that obviously die along with a dead HDD and have no legal way to download replacement ISOs to this very day. Why do you not maintain a server open to all customers that archives setup distributions for all products? Since they are "Activation" based what could possibly be the harm in this? Is it because you have anticipated that some customers will just say "Screw It" and buy another copy instead of finding a setup distribution? Do you consider it ethical to leave paying customers in a lurch when their computer dies or gets stolen?

This is the only one that left me scratching my head. What does it mean to say that "activation has reinvigorated privacy instead of reducing it"? (I do understand the rest of it about not supplying install media or downloadable ISOs.)

--JorgeA

Of course, NOT being asked tough questions was in all likelihood a condition for Gates granting the interview.

Tech press is toothless, especially those newer "hipster" outlets like TheVerge, I doubt they had such questions even in mind. Someone like John Dvorak looks really good today compared to them.

And the techpress-departments of big mainstream outlets like CBS etc. are even below their gossip journalists.

Edited by Formfiller