Windows 8 - Deeper Impressions

JorgeA

I recently discovered that Stardock owns 40% of Neowin. You'd think they'd mention this each and every time Stardock is mentioned in an article but it never is (except in the comments section, which is how I found out about it).

This came up here in one of many NeoWin discussions ( #741 ). I was pointing out there that Stardock owning a large stake in NeoWin may be less significant than Microsoft's 0% stake ( actually Stardock takes quite a beating from the MetroTards, so much that I can easily see them selling off their interest ).

Stardock involvement with Neowin FAQ

Because of the notable changes over there, some people like myself who were on NeoWin long ago believe they are now over-correcting by lurching to the other side after being burned by Microsoft ...

Cnet: Microsoft speaks, [Neowin] site goes dark ( CNet 2003-03-04 )

Which looks like a more significant influence than Stardock. But then again, it is entirely possible that neither of them have any effect, and it is merely Steven ( Neobond ) enjoying the MetroTard click-fest.

EDIT: typos

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot

This is fine and all, and no disrespect to any volunteers, but when do they thank the rest of us? :yes: You know, the millions of techs that have actually kept Windows afloat for all these years. Microsoft has been the huge beneficiary of a world-wide phenomena of nameless, non-employee tech support that has solved almost every problem they have created and let persist through a generation. If this non-employee support force suddenly went on strike and stopped fixing Windows problems for their friends, relatives, and strangers ( by means of countless unaffiliated tech forums ), and all support questions were redirected to Redmond, Windows would collapse like a house of cards. This is indisputable truth. MVPs have certainly been around for a while, but unfortunately many of them suffer from a weird Stockholm Syndrome picking up on and spreading Microsoft propaganda and spending more time arguing on their behalf than solving actual technical problems. If you Google for an answer to something wrong with Windows, 90% of the time you will wind up in a forum like this one where people solve the allegedly unsolvable. 5% of the time it will be to a MSKB article that likely offers little help in as many words as possible, and a small part of the remainder will be MVPs solving such important things as changing themes or writing a macro. Dear Microsoft: You're Welcome!

Spot on, bravo! A small addendum would be that I think 90% of these so called MVPs are just on Microsoft payroll, maybe 10% legit. Most of them are those students who suck up to the teacher to get an extra star pasted on their books. I think the entire MVP is a PR thing that's why I never believed it. As you say, WE are MVPs. All of us, anonymous contributors and actually are, no less than "unpaid support staff" for Microsoft and their products.

What do they do to thank us? Not a darn thing. They do know how to heavily disrespect and insult us, however. By doing very simple things which are so big for us, like removing the OPTION to have the aero glass effect while allowing it to be there in the taskbar in Windows 8. Right in our face, they say "hah!".

This kind of behaviour is a direct insult and they know it. It is a kind of power grab perhaps, "we are your boss" mentality.

No more will I accept this though. You know when someone (many) I know ask for help about Windows 8 or wants my opinion, I say "Sorry, no idea.". It is begenning of the end for Microsoft.

The most important step I have taken is that to no longer develop any applications for their platform and I 100% mean it. I no longer do it.

Some people might read this post and think of it as an extreme stand but history will look back and see it as a sane and proper stand.

Simply, to hell with them. :wub:

Cnet: Microsoft speaks, [Neowin] site goes dark ( CNet 2003-03-04 )

Which looks like a more significant influence than Stardock. But then again, it is entirely possible that neither of them have any effect, and it is merely Steven ( Neobond ) enjoying the MetroTard click-fest.

They are ALL bought and paid for. The only real source of the news is forums like this actually. Although, they do infiltrate these places from time to time, they are quickly weeded out. As I always say, us techies are no fools, even though we allow others to believe we are fools from time to time. Special breed of humans I suppose. :angel

New Scroogle vid!

Classy how the video cuts of just when the Google engineer had obviously something to add to her statement. I never cared much about Google and found their "don't be evil" mantra one of the most hypocritical claims in computing.. especially with their tendency to use the content of their "partners" to scoop them out with vertical-search offerings. So it's quite an achievement that this "ScroogledTruth" campaign for the first time ever made me sympathize with Google.

Thank you MS. what no Google-praising article on Slashdot et al. has managed to do, you've made it finally possible!

Bonus: MS gathered a bunch of hipsters to ask their opinion about Google "reading their mails":

Given their answers, it's clear that the camera-team told them that Google quite literally "reads" mails, and not that it's just an automatic algorithm scanning for keywords.

As I always say, us techies are no fools

There are quite many techie idiots actually. The metrotards for once. Then their predecessors, the freetards of old.

Read the comments of this and weep:

http://www.adequacy.org/stories/2001.12.2.42056.2147.html

Then read this:

http://www.adequacy.org/stories/2002.1.28.213530.133.html

The metrotards are just the reverse of the folks being made fun of there. Same kind of attitude, just different team. I never thought MS would be able to "out-freetard" the freetards and create their own private army of loontarded non-paid $hills, but they have managed to do it... Disclaimer: I fully believe now that there are "paid M$ $shills", but lots of the tards on Neowin seem to be genuinely 'tarded.

Ballmer must be so proud! I guess it's his biggest achievment as CEO.

Edited by Formfiller

As I always say, us techies are no fools

There are quite many techie idiots actually. The metrotards for once. Then their predecessors, the freetards of old....

I don't consider them techies actually. I see them as dumb consumers. Techies are, people liks us. :D

Microsoft in full-blown politics mode:

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-msn-on-windows-8-loads-much-faster-than-competitors

Microsoft: MSN on Windows 8 loads much faster than competitors

esf3443554346654564433.jpg

Microsoft launched the Windows 8-exclusive version of its MSN website a few days before the official launch of Windows 8 itself in late October. Microsoft said it created the Windows 8 version to load much faster under Internet Explorer 10 compared to older versions of the site.

But just how much faster is the new MSN on Windows 8 compared to other competing sites such as AOL, Yahoo and others? Today, Microsoft said that it decided to commission an outside independent study on the matter and recruited Principal Technologies to handle the work.

The study's results show that not only does MSN on Windows 8 load more than six times faster on IE10 compared to older versions of the site, but that it loads up to 10 times faster than competing sites. Microsoft says, "Because Internet Explorer 10 was designed to take advantage of the system architecture of Windows 8, rendering complex page layouts and high resolution images is faster and more fluidly."

The study also breaks down how specific MSN hub pages for topics like News, Sports and others load on Windows 8 compared to other sites. For example, the study claims that MSN's news page on Windows 8 loads up 1.91 times faster than CNN.com, 4.03 percent than the Huffington Post and 6.58 times faster than ABCNews' website

What about sports? MSN's sports section for Windows 8 loads 7.46 times faster than The Sporting News, 9.24 times faster than ESPN and 10.02 times faster than Yahoo Sports, according to the study.

Who the heck cares? They must be over-run by Mark Penn clones (Maybe they've been set free from a Microsoft Research clone project). I can't believe they make a fuss about such a non-topic like how fast portal sites load on Windows 8. Even the tards at Neowin aren't impressed. The BS in W8 and Office 2013 seem to be indeed just a symptom of a wider problem there.

Microsoft should relocate to Washington D.C. asap.

Edited by Formfiller

JFYI, this topic has outgrown its original purpose and has become a catch-all for various related news articles and reactions/discussions. I will leave it open for now, but its life is running out.

I recommend that if you want to continue these discussions, to create topics for each particular subject in the Technology News section, located here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/forum/63-technology-news/

And make sure to keep those topics on topic, for example don't make a topic about the Office 2013 EULA and then start putting links to articles about Surface or Nokia phones, instead make a new thread for those subjects.

If any of you want help in splitting off discussions from this thread into new threads in Technology News, send me a PM with post numbers.

JFYI, this topic has outgrown its original purpose and has become a catch-all for various related news articles and reactions/discussions. I will leave it open for now, but its life is running out.

Don't close this thread, this will be a grave mistake. I view it as a general shout-off for all those who got disappointed with Microsoft's decisions in recent times. I also think it attracts lots of new people. I know that I alone have brought in some (from channel9 and techbroil).

Splitting it all in multiple threads will make it actually more confusing, since all the posts here do follow a common theme after all. Not to mention it would decrease most certainly hits; many of the newcomers are glued to this thread only.

It would be also just a crime to stop CharlotteTheHarlot's streak of great posts.

Edited by Formfiller

I recommend that if you want to continue these discussions, to create topics for each particular subject in the Technology News section, located here:

http://www.msfn.org/...echnology-news/

And make sure to keep those topics on topic, for example don't make a topic about the Office 2013 EULA and then start putting links to articles about Surface or Nokia phones, instead make a new thread for those subjects.

If any of you want help in splitting off discussions from this thread into new threads in Technology News, send me a PM with post numbers.

Yes, as Formfiller said, please don't touch this thread. This is the soul reason I joined MSFN and donated money to it. Do NOT split this thread. Although the subjects varies in this thread, it has become a very important thread. Splitting it into 100 different subjects or closing it will only confuse people and we will lose valuable information all gathered in one place.

I personally find MSFN already highly confusing and splitted into way too many subjects frankly.

I know you mean well but this specific thread has become way too important now. :lol::wub:

So please, keep it running. :)

Edited by ciHnoN

PCWorld redeems its earlier Windows 8 boosterism with the following gem:

How to banish Metro from your Windows 8 PC forever

If you absolutely, positively, soul-searingly loathe the new look of Microsoft's operating system, you'll want to download a program that restores the traditional Start button to the Windows 8 desktop. That way, you'll never have to return to the Windows 8 Start screen to search for specific software or files that aren't already pinned to your Taskbar or otherwise present on your desktop. Start8 and Classic Shell are excellent options for doing just that—and they give you the option of booting directly to the desktop. Win-win!

--JorgeA

But that's precisely what's great about this wild and woolly thread! :)

It certainly has developed over time. Because Microsoft insists on foisting the same uniform UI on users of all of its devices, what started as a critique of Windows 8 specifically grew out to WOA/RT and the Windows Phone, and from there has come to (also, but not only) encompass what's wrong with Microsoft. If the topics get split off mandatorily, they will each become that much less prominent.

The thread has gained renewed and great vigor recently (see attached screenshot, taken as I was preparing this post), thanks immensely to @ciHnoN and @Formfiller, in addition to those of us who've been keeping it going all along. It will die a natural death when there's nothing more left to say -- please, don't euthanize it!!

post-287775-0-62604300-1361555775_thumb.

--JorgeA

EDIT: New screenshot seen just after posting:

post-287775-0-96423100-1361556163_thumb.

Edited by JorgeA

This thread will go down in history as one of the great threads in all time. I'm sure of it. They will look back and call all the contributors to this thread enlightened beings.

Frankly, you guys made me feel at home for once. For the longest time I had given up hope for humanity but little did I know that sane true humans still exist! I'm serious.

It also inspired me to start foolsdesign.org.

I have the highest respect for everyone who has contributed to this thead. :wub:

I wish I could buy you all a nice cold one! :D

01-CHEERS1.jpg