Windows 8 - Deeper Impressions

JorgeA

E3 2013: "Microsoft, you have some splainin to do!" - EDITORIAL ( NeoWin 2013-06-12 )

E3 2013: Anti-DRM game developer CD Projekt on Xbox One's used disc features ( NeoWin 2013-06-13 )

Nintendo disagrees with Microsoft's DRM policies ( NeoWin 2013-06-13 )

Acer: Windows Phone 8 is 'a great OS... but no-one knows about it' ( NeoWin 2013-06-13 )

Manufacturers reportedly ignoring Windows Phone due to OS fees... and Nokia ( NeoWin 2013-06-13 )

Has the Xbox One 'alienated the entire military'? ( NeoWin 2013-06-14 )

More indications of discontent in the Empire, concerning both Xbox and WP. And these are only the ones seen at NeoWin in the past 48 hours. And I probably missed a few ( a little distracted vacuuming up water from all these frickin storms! )

Unless I missed it in the mass of information, I wonder what sort of "telemetry" MSFT is going to claim they have, "demonstrating" that gamers actually prefer having to keep their console connected to the Internet and also being unable to freely lend or trade their games to each other.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

German Official: Xbox One Spying Capabilities a 'Twisted Nightmare'

The complaint stems from the latest version of the motion-sensing Kinect technology. The Kinect device designed for the Xbox One can monitor users’ movements with a camera that sees in the dark, picks up voice commands with a microphone, and reads your heart rate using infrared cameras that track blood flow underneath the skin. Because the device is connected to the Internet, malicious hackers could potentially hijack the console and use it for spying. In addition, Microsoft has filed a patent that suggests it is interested in using Kinect to count the number of people in a room in order to charge each person for providing pay-per-user content. The patent outlines how a camera could be used with face and gesture recognition as part of a Kinect-style system to enforce “age and identity restrictions” on certain kinds of content, effectively granting copyright holders virtual access to private dwellings, as Wired described it.

Maybe I suppressed the memory as too horrible to remember, but I don't recall reading before about the part where the Kinect reads your heart rate with infrared cameras.

Seems like every time I read about this device it gets worse and worse.

--JorgeA

Time for a chronological review of the tumultous campaign for Microsoft's NextBox. I'm pretty sure this is not what they expected. :lol: However, why wouldn't they expect this considering they had already experienced well over a year of deafening criticism of Windows 8 and Metro. Stupid is as stupid does.

Naturally this is NOT all-inclusive! It is merely the tip of the iceberg that Captain Ballmer keeps crashing the SS Microsoft into again and again. These here are mostly articles I posted or meant to post and also some were posted by other members. For each of these there are probably another two dozen corresponding articles on other tech news sites, and a hundred discussion forums. It's been quite a wild ride, and it began shortly after the Windows 8 launch and Sinofsky's exit. What will the next seven months bring? And who shall Microsoft alienate next?

The XboxFiles ( The Truth Is Now Out There ) ...

This is a bit off topic, but not entirely with the disclosure of the zero day and the rumored X-Box snooping:

It appears that a CBS Reporter's computer was compromised and that the party responsible has taken some pretty deft steps to cover their tracks. Here is an interesting quote from the article:

A cyber security firm hired by CBS News has determined through forensic analysis that Sharyl Attkisson’s computer was accessed by an unauthorized, external, unknown party on multiple occasions late in 2012. Evidence suggests this party performed all access remotely using Attkisson’s accounts. While no malicious code was found, forensic analysis revealed an intruder had executed commands that appeared to involve search and exfiltration of data.

This party also used sophisticated methods to remove all possible indications of unauthorized activity, and alter system times to cause further confusion.

Read more about it here.

It is beginning to look and smell a lot like 1984. :}

Guess I'll go to the kitchen make my tin-foil hat and then go and sit in my pyramid. :D

bpalone

Images seen in forums at The Verge ( made by others, not me ) where the commenters are having fun tweaking butt-hurt resident fanboys :lol:

A poem for the Xbox One defenders ( Microsoft Tribe Forum at The Verge 2013-06-11 )

pP7B7uW.jpg

( Image Source )

Using the famous song by the "Police". That's enough for some cry-babies to suggest the thread be removed. Later they step into the "First they came for ..." historical meme. :blink: Fanboys really dislike Nazi analogies :lol: ...

WTF is wrong with you MS ??? ( Microsoft Tribe Forum at The Verge 2013-06-14 )

This one is in response to a tweet to @XboxSupport that asks "What if I travel a lot?". One reply apparently from Microsoft was "You will be able to play when you return home. I travel with an Xbox 360 for road gaming". I thought this one was hysterical ...

IpUpUwM.png

( Image Source )

EDIT: clarity

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot

Hilarious outburst by a MS employee regarding the Xbone. Apparently they really hate "discs" in Redmond. Must-read comedy:

http://www.techbroil.com/2013/06/ps4-wins.html?showComment=1371298396577#c5665078770302976380

You want to know why they hate distribution media? It is because it remains the last impediment to the complete destruction of private property and completes Microsoft's transition to a company that sells information one electron at a time.

Microsoft has been on this mission since the very beginning of the 16-bit PC era when x86 hardware and software began to look like a big winner compared to the previous 8-bit x80 era. Many people were scratching their heads wondering how Microsoft could make a go at this "Software business". In order to make money they would need to find a way to patent and protect easily reproducible "recipes" ( where the product is created from someone elses private property, only the "idea" is transmitted ). Logical people figured out that they would need to completely rewrite the notion that you cannot patent something like this because you cannot enforce people from NOT making themselves a peanut butter + jelly sandwich that you invented or singing "Happy Birthday" which you wrote without paying you a license fee. This was a common discussion at the time on company intranets and the early USENET about Microsoft as they were unique with no hardware, only a virtual product. The new PC era temporarily made the argument moot for the PC universe because the main form of transmission of ideas was distribution media ( unlike the networked big iron world ). Ownership of this media could not be questioned, so Microsoft set on their endless push for "you only license the contents" and many have bought into that nonsense ( it is still a recipe, once located on YOUR hard disk it is only re-arranged storage bytes and amounts to a set of instructions for your CPU ).

But they have been consistent in this notion 24/7/365 for over 30 years now. They have gotten courts to establish this "you only license it" as normal, building precedents upon precedents, and have gotten many fanboys to parrot the concept to the point of normalcy. Now, as the Internet is finally effective as a distribution mechanism ( the dial-up era was not for most ) they are simply moving to the final stage. Kill private property leaving them as another media company like Ma Bell, Cable, Satellite, all the entertainment networks, etc. The goal is subscription methodology, not unlike a drug dealer that gets you on the hook with free or low-cost samples in order to ensure permanent business. At the end of the day there is no private property, only virtual stuff. They want to be one of the main players in this field, and might be the only one after enough failures and mergers.

btw Formfiller, being new to that forum I see lots of references to TMR and Pogson and Dr. Loser and Olderman, but what is the backstory to them? What are they and what connects them all?

EDIT: typo(s)

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot

btw Formfiller, being new to that forum I see lots of references to TMR and Pogson and Dr. Loser and Olderman, but what is the backstory to them? What are they and what connects them all?

OK, long story: Techbroil is originally an offshot of the blog Linuxhaters.blogspot.com (Linux Haters' Blog - LHB). It was a popular blog where hyper-fanatical Linux users and the failings of the community in general were discussed. The users on the blog came from all platforms, many of them were former Linux users themselves. The comments were unmoderated, regularly destroyed the comment limit on blogger.com, mostly anonymous and the mood was similar to this thread. Basically "Linux fanatics: Deeper Impressions". Along the way popular tech BS like the HTML 5 hype, Facebook hype, Twitter hype etc. were discussed. When the Windows 8 betas and alphas appeared, the community split into "TMR" (tmrepository.com) and Techbroil (both existed before the split). Techbroil got the people who noticed that now Microsoft went completely insane, more so than any Linux freetards, and that metrotards are the true "successors" of crazy in the IT-community. TMR got the leftovers who didn't notice the "NuMicrosoft" transformation and still stick to now pointless Linux-bashing (some of them are actual MS employees).

Linuxhaters.blogspot.com ("LHB") itself completely deteriorated after the split, when most users left. It transformed into even more disgusting version of 4chan; shock images, hugely offensive jokes, crazy racist fringe topics, you name it. It has nothing to do anymore with what it once was in its glory days and is a toilet now. (The comments on Techbroil are very similiar to the old LHB in feel)

Pogson is a fanatical Linux fanboy, and truly insane. He's a retired teacher and gun fanatic and spends most of this time posting on his blog (MrPogson.com) about how Linux stomps out all competition and will bury all other software soon. In his most insane days, he conveyed the impression that he would be the star of a amok-run special on CNN any minute (the location would probably be a software shop). On LHB he and his posts were in-jokes, a bit like Sinofsky and Ballmer here. On Techbroil no one cares about him anymore, but the TMR guys are still obsessed with him.

Techbroil is now an anti-"NuMicrosoft" and anti-metrotard site. It was pro-MS before Microsoft went cuckoo.

Olderman is a regular on TMR and spends his time trolling Pogson and Techbroil.

Dr. Loser is a LHB veteran and an actual Microsoft employee (contractor who works at Bing). He too is a truly insane passive-aggressive potty-mouth who is obsessed with Pogson and with an user on Techbroil and even semi-stalked him. He likes to passive-aggressively insult other people based on their nationality and religion, even though he pretends that he is without any biases and instead accuses other people of having them. Everyone hates him now, except some TMR guys.

It all sounds a bit crazy, but you need to take into account that all this s*** developed over the course of thousands of posts and several sites. it was quite an entertaining pasttime the last few years. Very much like this thread, only less moderated and more extreme.

Edited by Formfiller

You want to know why they hate distribution media? It is because it remains the last impediment to the complete destruction of private property and completes Microsoft's transition to a company that sells information one electron at a time.

Naah, the electron is licensed, NOT sold. :whistle:

jaclaz

Anonymous Xbox engineer explains DRM and Microsoft's Xbox One intentions ( NeoWin 2013-06-13 )

We should point out that this one is a rumor and is probably 50/50 that it was forged in a clever PsyOp operation.

Assuming the veracity of the strategy attributed to Microsoft there, and in light of @Charlotte's description, a few posts up, of their longstanding objectives --

Now, as the Internet is finally effective as a distribution mechanism ( the dial-up era was not for most ) they are simply moving to the final stage. Kill private property leaving them as another media company like Ma Bell, Cable, Satellite, all the entertainment networks, etc. The goal is subscription methodology, not unlike a drug dealer that gets you on the hook with free or low-cost samples in order to ensure permanent business. At the end of the day there is no private property, only virtual stuff. They want to be one of the main players in this field, and might be the only one after enough failures and mergers.

-- the following excerpt from the article above is particularly noteworthy:

We want to own the living room. Every living room TV with an XBox on input one. It's the thing that gives the signal to your TV, everything is secondary. The future, where games, TV, internet telephony, all that sh*t happens magically on some huge a*s screen with hand / voice gestures... That's our goal.

Things are getting to the point where it'll be better to put up with the Linux snobs than with the MSFT control freaks.

BTW, thanks for the background on the history, Charlotte.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

Things are getting to the point where it'll be better to put up with the Linux snobs than with the MSFT control freaks.

--JorgeA

Today I actually miss them. When all the forums and sites were flooded with "freetards", the shills were kept shut. Now that they are mostly gone, the shills and metrotards took their place.

The delicate balance between corporate shills and freetards got destroyed.

Xbox One Games At E3 Were Running On Windows 7 With Nvidia GTX Cards:

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Xbox-One-Games-E3-Were-Running-Windows-7-With-Nvidia-GTX-Cards-56737.html

Another PR disaster.

Now that is funny.

However, in this particular case it does make it seem like Microsoft didn't even trust their latest Windows 8 operating system. As many people questioned on Twitter, why not Windows 8? Heck, Windows 8 is what one of the Xbox One's operating systems is based on. Opting for Windows 7 during E3 seems like Microsoft may not have had the confidence in their latest OS to put on the show they required or demo the games in the best of light.

If you look closely at the monitor in one of the key shots, you will see what could well be a Start Button in the lower left-hand corner. (That is, it's not set off a little to the right of the corner like the IE icon is on the Win8 taskbar.) Plus, that's a standard Windows 7 Desktop wallpaper.

_1371234169.jpg

Also.. .poor, poor Windows 8; even Microsoft doesn't like you.

:lol: :lol:

--JorgeA

Today I actually miss them. When all the forums and sites were flooded with "freetards", the shills were kept shut. Now that they are mostly gone, the shills and metrotards took their place.

The delicate balance between corporate shills and freetards got destroyed.

I'd never thought of it that way, but it makes sense, like some sort of eco-balance between competing pests...

--JorgeA