Windows 8 - Deeper Impressions

JorgeA

@CharlotteTheHarlot

Really, you are becoming outdated. :w00t:

MS dropped the use of Metro as the name of the interface.

The proposed way is (since a few posts) to call it Metro "Nameless Crap Interface", which you can well abbreviate as NCI (the original abbreviation that had a final S in it, shorthand for you know what :angel , has been retired because Jethro Gibbs and all the guys/gals there are nice peeps :yes: .

jaclaz

The solution (which even lawyers might be able to understand) could be for Samsung to place a start button at the left end of the taskbar, instead of a dock in the center. (Of course, there's no solution to a hypothetical patent that covered any icons anywhere on the screen.)

Being minimalist, I personally find the blackbox shell (and other interfaces) approach, the most convenient: righ click anywhere on the desktop and a cascading menu appears.

jaclaz

Huh, that would be pretty cool, actually.

--JorgeA

Well Samsung should know that there is a binding policy with Windows 8. Obviously they didn't read it. I doubt this "Start Menu" widget ever officially ships, else Samsung will have violated their agreement with Microsoft. :rolleyes:

You're kidding!?! You mean that Microsoft is requiring OEMs to not put a start menu on their Windows installations? (How'd you find out?)

Amazing. :rolleyes:

--JorgeA

Really, you are becoming outdated. :w00t:

MS dropped the use of Metro as the name of the interface.

The proposed way is (since a few posts) to call it Metro "Nameless Crap Interface", which you can well abbreviate as NCI (the original abbreviation that had a final S in it, shorthand for you know what :angel , has been retired because Jethro Gibbs and all the guys/gals there are nice peeps :yes: .

:lol: Yep, that's me. stubborn, old school, change hater! (except when they do something right)

But I'm sticking with the name Metro until Ballmer & Sinofsky apologize in public for turning Windows into Sesame Street and making Microsoft a laughingstock.

Microsoft NCIS Division ...

- Never Create Interfaces Stoned

- New Computer Interface Stupidity

- No Creative Idea Supported

- Never Confide In Sinofsky

- No Change in Status

- Nothing's Carved in Stone

I cheated for a few of these here and here

Well Samsung should know that there is a binding policy with Windows 8. Obviously they didn't read it. I doubt this "Start Menu" widget ever officially ships, else Samsung will have violated their agreement with Microsoft. :rolleyes:

You're kidding!?! You mean that Microsoft is requiring OEMs to not put a start menu on their Windows installations?

Its not so specific. OEMs can't include something that is basically a Start Screen (previously Metro screen) replacement... aka some method of launching multiple apps, which is what Start Screen is meant to do. In addition, OEMs can't enable the Widget Bar. There is, however, nothing to stop anyone from making available a Desktop-style app that once installed enables the Widget Bar and puts that Start Menu thing on it. :whistle:

Start8 now also brings the Win7 Startmenu back:

Features

Adds a classic style "Start" menu to the Windows 8 taskbar.

Includes support for:

View and launch installed applications (including Metro/Modern)

All Programs menu, quick links to commonly accessed folders (Documents, Music, Photos, Computer, and more).

Adds searchable Start menu options for Windows desktop applications, Metro/Modern applications, and documents.

Adds a "Start" button to the Windows 8 taskbar.

Automatically load directly to your Windows desktop on login (vs the start screen).

Pin favorite shortcuts directly to the start menu for easy access.

Includes support for "jump lists"/recent documents for recently accessed programs.

ss2.png

http://stardock.com/products/start8/

OEMs can't include something that is basically a Start Screen (previously Metro screen) replacement... aka some method of launching multiple apps, which is what Start Screen is meant to do. In addition, OEMs can't enable the Widget Bar. There is, however, nothing to stop anyone from making available a Desktop-style app that once installed enables the Widget Bar and puts that Start Menu thing on it. :whistle:

So, the difference is that Samsung or Dell couldn't provide it pre-installed on their PCs, but a third party could offer it over the Web. (I guess it couldn't be sold via the Windows Store, eh? ;) )

How about if among the pre-installed features and trial software that OEMs put on the desktop, they were to put an "offer" for a Start Menu replacement? Or maybe that's what you had in mind...

--JorgeA

Features

Includes support for:

All Programs menu, quick links to commonly accessed folders (Documents, Music, Photos, Computer, and more).

Adds searchable Start menu options for Windows desktop applications, Metro/Modern applications, and documents.

Automatically load directly to your Windows desktop on login (vs the start screen).

Includes support for "jump lists"/recent documents for recently accessed programs.

This is great, MagicAndre -- a vast improvement over the previous version of Start8. It seems to be now an all-in-one "avoid Metro" package that includes 1) a regular Start Menu, 2) a Start Button, and 3) the ability to boot to the Desktop. :thumbup

Thanks for reporting it.

Now, if someone were to devise a way to install Themes or Skin Packs on Windows 8 that are more interesting than the crude flat look that MS has decreed. Been looking for this all over the 'Net, and mostly I see promises, complaints, and frustration over Win8 from skin-pack developers.

--JorgeA

Apropos of the recurrent discussion in this thread about the dangers of the Cloud, data syncing, and cybersecurity/privacy, we have this "epic hack".

The writer played his part in his own digital destruction, but the point remains that if even a supposedly savvy tech writer can fall victim to this sort of thing, what does that imply for the hundreds of millions of users out there who are less sophisticated than him?

Windows 8 is intended to be the most cloud-friendly OS from Microsoft to date -- no, thanks! :puke:

--JorgeA

Features

Includes support for:

ss2.png

I am already getting heart attacks unless fans reassure me that Classic Shell is still the best. I still believe it is but I am not sure others see it that way so I have entered depression. :no::D Start8 has file search (although crappily done), jump lists, ability to launch Metro apps and highlighting of new programs. And Start8 shows Windows' MRU list of programs, not its own. I envy it!

Edited by xpclient

Features

Includes support for:

ss2.png

I am already getting heart attacks unless fans reassure me that Classic Shell is still the best. I still believe it is but I am not sure others see it that way so I have entered depression. :no::D Start8 has file search (although crappily done), jump lists, ability to launch Metro apps and highlighting of new programs. I envy it!

Wait untill Win8 Dials hoome and tells MS you are using that....

Won't surprise me in the slightest if ms un genuines your pc fr it.

OEMs can't include something that is basically a Start Screen (previously Metro screen) replacement... aka some method of launching multiple apps, which is what Start Screen is meant to do. In addition, OEMs can't enable the Widget Bar. There is, however, nothing to stop anyone from making available a Desktop-style app that once installed enables the Widget Bar and puts that Start Menu thing on it. :whistle:

So, the difference is that Samsung or Dell couldn't provide it pre-installed on their PCs, but a third party could offer it over the Web. (I guess it couldn't be sold via the Windows Store, eh? ;) )

How about if among the pre-installed features and trial software that OEMs put on the desktop, they were to put an "offer" for a Start Menu replacement? Or maybe that's what you had in mind...

--JorgeA

Even Samsung or Dell could offer such a program download on their website, not just a third party (like Stardock)... OEMs would get into trouble by including such software, even it not installed, as some sort of trialware or whatever on a shipped system. The thought of a shortcut, opt-in option... OEM first run application (like ISP signup) that tells a user about the ability to use Start Menu replacers probably would be frowned upon, considering the amount of trouble Microsoft has gone to make sure even the apps from DP time wouldn't work... But I don't see any specific policy against that but I wouldn't recommend it. Play it safe I say! If your customer wants a Start Menu, give them Windows 7! :rolleyes:

If your customer wants a Start Menu, give them Windows 7! :rolleyes:

AND don't forget to tell MS how you tried to provide a WIndows 8 but you failed and had to resort to a Windows 7 because the customer thought that the Windows 8 Metro Nameless Crap Interface sucks big.... :whistle:

jaclaz

I am already getting heart attacks unless fans reassure me that Classic Shell is still the best. I still believe it is but I am not sure others see it that way so I have entered depression. :no::D Start8 has file search (although crappily done), jump lists, ability to launch Metro apps and highlighting of new programs. And Start8 shows Windows' MRU list of programs, not its own. I envy it!

ClassicShell is great -- AFAIK it's the only program that allows you to re-enable lost features in recent versions of Internet Explorer. I'm using it in IE10 on my Win8 preview installs. :)

As far as the new Start8 capabilities... consider that a feature set to add to the next edition of ClassicShell! :yes: (Full disclosure: I haven't tried Start8. When they first came out it had the Metro look and so a different Start Menu replacement got onto my CP and RP. The DP I left alone to keep the full flavor of the Metro sh*t.)

--JorgeA

Even Samsung or Dell could offer such a program download on their website, not just a third party (like Stardock)... OEMs would get into trouble by including such software, even it not installed, as some sort of trialware or whatever on a shipped system. The thought of a shortcut, opt-in option... OEM first run application (like ISP signup) that tells a user about the ability to use Start Menu replacers probably would be frowned upon, considering the amount of trouble Microsoft has gone to make sure even the apps from DP time wouldn't work... But I don't see any specific policy against that but I wouldn't recommend it. Play it safe I say! If your customer wants a Start Menu, give them Windows 7! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the details, Tripredacus, I understand now. :}

I like jaclaz's suggestion -- MS probably keeps tabs on "returns" or downgrades like that.

--JorgeA