Windows 8 - Deeper Impressions

JorgeA

the effect I can see at user level is (of course IMHO) a regression in quality of apps

Perhaps because it somewhat lowers the barrier to entry (we've all seen the results of "classic" VB) but on the other hand it lets you create better and more advanced things faster too. Given skilled programmers, on the same budget and time frame, it far improves the quality IMHO. And given infinite resources, then it's mainly a matter of programming-related skills (and things like understanding the problem domain better, etc)

Either ways, as much of a C# fanboy as I am (it's my fav language for Windows development by far), if Windows continues in the same direction as it did with Win8 then Windows is dead to me, and I'll move on to a "lesser" language (and toolchain/IDE/...) but on an OS that's not absurdly nonsensical (that means either Objective C or C++/Qt and OS X)

As for Windows Phone pricing, it's just really funny. It didn't stand a chance at half that price anyway.

Nokia has priced their upcoming Lumia 920 smartphone higher than Samsungs Galaxy S III, a move that has analysts wondering how the Finnish phone maker plans on justifying the premium. In some markets, Nokias flagship phone will sell for 25 percent more than the S III.

Italy ...

Lumia 920 :: €599 (USA $771)

Lumia 820 :: €499 (USA $643)

Samsung Galaxy S III :: €530

[etc.]

Unfreakingbelievable!!

Never mind that these Windows 8 phones are considerably more expensive than their established competitors (yeah, Sinofsky's a visionary genius, I know). I just can't see myself walking around town with a $700 device in my pocket that cost more than any computer I've bought in this millennium, and which would be so easy to lose at a restaurant table or to a skilled pickpocket. Can I tether it to my belt? But I'd still be running the risk of dropping it or having it crushed by stepping or sitting on it. No way, I don't have money to burn.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

Paul Thurrott discusses Microsoft's plans to transition from a sales to a feudal rent model for their software:

Microsoft’s new naming scheme is actually based, I think, on the company’s move to online services, where products such as Windows Intune and Office 365 have always come sans version numbering because it’s Microsoft, not you, that needs to manage these services behind the scenes. The organizations that adopt these services know that they’ll be updated with both new features and bug fixes over time, and that they’ll be moved forward to these new “versions” automatically as part of an ongoing subscription.

And that’s the crux of what’s happening here. With Office 2013, yes, Microsoft will sell you traditional versions of the software, just as it will sell you traditional, on-premises versions of Exchange 2013. But what Microsoft really wants to sell you is the subscription and services-based versions of these products. And in such cases, version numbers suddenly are a lot less meaningful. Over time, maybe the versions with version numbers just . . . disappear.

So, what happens when a new feature or bug fix ends up breaking something, or making things worse? Without knowledge of an impending update or the choice to postpone or decline it, all users are saddled with the problem for as long as MS takes to address it. No longer can you or I adopt the strategy of waiting for reports on the update's effects from others who have installed it.

--JorgeA

Since Charlie Chaplin, Gecko lizards and common fruit were already spoken for ...

Windows 8 digital graffiti artists wanted by Microsoft ( NeoWin 2012-09-28 )

Nothing sadder than Redmond bureaucrats paying a firm to portray them as Seattle hipsters. Or in this case gang bangers marking up the walls of buildings. To be sure, this may be a step or two below gang colors. I just can't see crips and bloods spray painting sesame street or playskool colored blocks!

JPEG 1.9 MB ... Graffiti_bg.jpg

But what I'm still wondering about after having clicked around for answers to no avail, is this text at the Microsoft Advertising site ...

Breaking boundaries – it’s what urban mural artists do daily. That’s why we invited a few of the best to turn our vision of digital on its head with the tools of their trade: spray paint, the canvas of the streets, and sheer imagination. The result? A jaw-dropping visual exploration of creativity and connection. When it comes to digital advertising, there are no limits. Brands create the message, we tag the world.

Why break boundaries in this way? With the advent of Windows 8, Microsoft introduces a new advertising canvas. We are kicking the old way of digital advertising to the curb with something fresh, modern, and revolutionary. And we are looking for digital graffiti artists.

Yep, that first paragraph is nothing but a steaming pile of advertising pooh written by a team of overpaid underachievers. But in that last sentence are they tipping their hand? The website really says nothing at all which is pretty much par for the course from Microsoft. So we are left to infer a meaning. Could this be the start of product placement in the kindergarten color squares of Windows 8 and Metro on the desktops of hundreds of millions of unsuspecting users around the world?

Any guesses?

Perhaps because it somewhat lowers the barrier to entry (we've all seen the results of "classic" VB) but on the other hand it lets you create better and more advanced things faster too. Given skilled programmers, on the same budget and time frame, it far improves the quality IMHO. And given infinite resources, then it's mainly a matter of programming-related skills (and things like understanding the problem domain better, etc)

Yes, most probably that's the perverted effect. :yes:

@Charlotte the Harlot

You might want to appreciate how the good MS designers have made things easier for the street artists: they can bring with them just 4 (5 including the one for the border) colours, so they can run faster!

And Apple is anyway ahead ;):

Final-Graffiti-Apple-and-Hands.jpg

Only for historical reasons (and OT :ph34r:):

picture-2-19-14-52.png

jaclaz

I wonder when will messages saying "Do NOT Share your Touch-Screen" will appears as health related warnings.

I mean i've seen some man sneezing at his iPad, you know mucus and all ...

Has there any scientifc study about touch-screen as contagious disease vectors?

There probably have been studies about this, but for a potent demonstration of the dangers, see the movie "Contagion." :ph34r:

--JorgeA

Breaking boundaries – it’s what urban mural artists do daily. That’s why we invited a few of the best to turn our vision of digital on its head with the tools of their trade: spray paint, the canvas of the streets, and sheer imagination. The result? A jaw-dropping visual exploration of creativity and connection. When it comes to digital advertising, there are no limits. Brands create the message, we tag the world.

Why break boundaries in this way? With the advent of Windows 8, Microsoft introduces a new advertising canvas. We are kicking the old way of digital advertising to the curb with something fresh, modern, and revolutionary. And we are looking for digital graffiti artists.

Yep, that first paragraph is nothing but a steaming pile of advertising pooh written by a team of overpaid underachievers. But in that last sentence are they tipping their hand? The website really says nothing at all which is pretty much par for the course from Microsoft. So we are left to infer a meaning. Could this be the start of product placement in the kindergarten color squares of Windows 8 and Metro on the desktops of hundreds of millions of unsuspecting users around the world?

Any guesses?

If they start putting live ads on the Metro Start Screen, I would hope that that would be the final nail in the coffin for Windows 8.

Although I do note that a recent Microsoft.com Panel survey tested respondents' reactions to having ads on the Xbox home screen (or whatever they call it). Dunno what the results were, but I sure would have given the thumbs-down :thumbdown to that idea.

Finally, in line with your speculation, see the last paragraph in the Neowin post that you linked to:

In related news, Microsoft Advertising has also launched the final version of the Microsoft Advertising SDK for Windows 8. This tool will allow Windows 8 app creators to place ads inside their apps.

I can just picture working hard at the computer to write down a sudden flash of insight, only to have my flow interrupted and the insight gone POOF by some ad dancing and blinking across my screen. :angrym:

--JorgeA

Win8 sky rocked to 0.30% marketig share :D

The adoption rate is pathetic compared to Win7 at a similar stage, and out of these poor bast early adopters, 75% prefer another OS as we've seen in the news recently (the forumswindows8 survey)

Everything about Win8 screams of failure on a very large scale...

The adoption rate is pathetic compared to Win7 at a similar stage

Yup, unlike with Windows 7 vs. Vista there is manifestly no great public clamor for what The Two Steves are offering, despite the best efforts of 'Softie fandom to drum up enthusiasm for Windows 8.

--JorgeA

It's very impressive the fact that Windows XP (an 11 years-old OS) has 41% market share...

Windows 7 will be in the same situation in 2023 IF Sinofsky will still be in charge of Windows development.

Agreed!

XP's durability has sure been amazing. Shows you that they got it just about right then.

I suspect than in 2023, XP and Vista and 7 will be viewed as the high point of Microsoft OS's. <going out on a limb> Who knows, maybe we'll even be looking at MS the way we look today at, say, Digital Research Inc.

--JorgeA

The adoption rate is pathetic compared to Win7 at a similar stage, and out of these poor bast early adopters, 75% prefer another OS as we've seen in the news recently (the forumswindows8 survey)

Everything about Win8 screams of failure on a very large scale...

Glad you mentioned that ...

Windows 8 has five times less pre-release users than Windows 7 ( NeoWin 2012-10-02 )

"Alright, so Windows 8 isn’t even out yet – it shouldn’t matter how many people are using it, right? Well, that’s true to an extent, but a whopping 1.64% of Windows users felt like installing a pre-release version of Windows 7 a month before it was released. Compared to that, only about 0.33% of users are running Windows 8; five times less. To put that in perspective, Windows 7 already had as many users as Windows 8 six months before release."

:lol::lol::lol:

Microsoft Windows 8 : Vistro! ( Because it has fail written all over it. )