Windows 8 - Deeper Impressions

JorgeA

Or call it Apple Computer....come on how about a little iChuckle?

:D

I'm not sure I'd call Staples a 'big-box electronics retailer'

Well, it IS a big-box retailer (at least around here), and it's also an electronics retailer, therefore... ;)

--JorgeA

now came story (well not "now", bit its a recent buzz) of Windows Blue which would kill win8 metro apps (lolz), and only support apps for itself

and that this thing will be upgrade after 1 year passes that will include UI changes too

so tell me how is worthable to even buy garbage of 8 when new upgrade comes in 1 year and will destroy all worth of "8" ? :D

Anyone can multiply a "mere" 2,000,000 units reduction (in a two month expected timeframe) by rough unit sell price of US$ 500.00 and plot the trend for 2013? :w00t::ph34r:

And it's not just Surface RT tablets. Windows 8 has been out for less than five weeks. I can report (and speaking of Staples) that I'm already receiving ads for clearance sales on Win8 laptops by HP and Toshiba.

Maybe (just maybe) customers are driven away by those hideous purple Start Screens that they've stuck on (seemingly) every display model and advertisement.

--JorgeA

Anyone can multiply a "mere" 2,000,000 units reduction (in a two month expected timeframe) by rough unit sell price of US$ 500.00 and plot the trend for 2013? :w00t::ph34r:

And it's not just Surface RT tablets. Windows 8 has been out for less than five weeks. I can report (and speaking of Staples) that I'm already receiving ads for clearance sales on Win8 laptops by HP and Toshiba.

Maybe (just maybe) customers are driven away by those hideous purple Start Screens that they've stuck on (seemingly) every display model and advertisement.

--JorgeA

I am waiting for when I can't use my two hands to count the number of Windows 8 licenses that have been sold since GA. :angel

I am waiting for when I can't use my two hands to count the number of Windows 8 licenses that have been sold since GA. :angel

I am by far more flexible than you :w00t: and I am prepared to take my shoes off :ph34r: , but though increasing by 100% the capability of the counter ;) , I doubt it makes a big difference in absolute terms.... :whistle:

jaclaz

Some early sales reporting:

Early Windows 8 sales numbers are cheered and jeered by pundits

Windows 8 Touchscreen Laptops See Slow Start

Microsoft: Nomura Trims Ests On Soft Win 8 Debut

Windows 8: Does its 1-month report card read pass or fail?

Windows 8's early uptake trumps Vista's

Windows 8 PC orders weak, says analyst

Windows 8 uptake remains listless after public launch

Paul Thurrott: Windows 8 Sales Well Below Projections, Plenty of Blame to Go Around

Microsoft blames the PC makers. My source cited to me the PC makers inability to deliver, a damning indictment that I think nicely explains why the firm felt it needed to start making its own PC and device hardware.

Now, that's a good one! rotflmao.gif

It's like an author blaming the book publisher because the cover doesn't make up for the cr*ppy writing inside.

And one more piece on the user interface:

The Windows 8 UI: How do interface and usability experts rate all the changes?

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

It's like an author blaming the book publisher because the cover doesn't make up for the cr*ppy writing inside.

Not really, it's more like an editor blaming the printing company for not delivering the copies so that it cannot sell them (but wait :unsure:, if the issue is with the printing company not able to deliver enough copies on time, it means that there is demand for the book... :whistle: ).

More loosely, in a business if you have an "internal projection" saying that you are going to sell (say) 1,000,000 pieces in first three months you should make d@mn sure - in theory - and after having verified the reliability of the projection - to have 1,000,000 pieces ( + or - 50,000 pieces or whatever is the confidence interval of the projection) ready over that period.

OR (an alternative) the projections are completely wrong.

In both cases, *someone* has f***ed up BIG *somewhere*.

The bull**it about the ongoing world crisis is exactly that, it is not like you had plans to launch your brand new product on in late October 1929 and suddenly ....

demotivational-posters-suddenly-e1311345057808.jpg

jaclaz

In other news, while MS lies with numbers about their 40M licenses sold, it's well known that those sales aren't reflected in user statistics. NetApplications shows Win8 still under 1% for November, despite the Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales. Yep, most of those 40M licenses sold are certainly sold to large OEMs for the next year worth of sales (which OEMs like Acer and ASUS are saying there is no demand for it), likely counting licenses given away to software assurance customers (who won't use 'em), those sitting on shelves of retailers like newegg (who also reported low demand) and so on. And they've even cutting the Surface expectations and sales in half. It's definitely not 40M users, and this say nothing about these users even wanting Win8 in the first place or their satisfaction with it.

But that doesn't prevent easily distracted rabid fanboys from claiming that there's high demand and thikning that there's 40M happy users of that crappy tablet OS on their desktop.

In other news, people are saying that the Surface Pro will be very expensive and have poor battery life compared to all other tablets (iPad, Android, etc). I'd have to say this is kinda obvious, and it definitely won't make a dent in iPad sales. Best case scenario for MS, it'll just eat into their already poor Ultrabook sales :lol:

In other news, people are saying that the Surface Pro will be very expensive and have poor battery life compared to all other tablets (iPad, Android, etc). I'd have to say this is kinda obvious, and it definitely won't make a dent in iPad sales. Best case scenario for MS, it'll just eat into their already poor Ultrabook sales :lol:

Cannot say about battery life but anything between 900 and 1,000 bucks can get me TWO more than decent laptops, possibly THREE of them ....

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2017398/microsoft-surface-with-windows-8-pro-pricing-899-and-up.html

so I doubt that many "businesses" will choose to spend more to have a "compatible tablet".

jaclaz

Cannot say about battery life but anything between 900 and 1,000 bucks can get me TWO more than decent laptops, possibly THREE of them ....

...or a basic iPad that's actually a good tablet (or a very decent Android tablet if you prefer) with tons of good apps meant for touch (unlike Win8 whose only good apps are desktop apps, which suck on a tablet) and has good battery life, and a half decent laptop to go with it (which is better to write Office docs and email than with Surface anyway). Surface Pro is just a bad compromise of the two, much like Win8 is a bad compromise between a desktop and a tablet OS, failing miserably at both (but more so on the desktop side)

It's like if Honda decided to stop selling motorbikes and cars, only providing a 3-wheeled car but that drives with handlebars as their "no compromise" solution :rolleyes:

HijRKl.jpg

It's like if Honda decided to stop selling motorbikes and cars, only providing a 3-wheeled car but that drives with handlebars as their "no compromise" solution :rolleyes:

Yep, and when making three wheeled cars there are - as always - two ways to do them, the "wrong" way (as the one depicted in the picture you posted):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-wheeler#Two_rear

and the "right" way:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-wheeler#Two_front

See, as an example, some recent ones:

http://www.diseno-art.com/news_content/2012/06/top-10-three-wheeled-vehicles/

(the "carver" being the only exception - gone to bankruptcy - that confirms the rule)

Now, think a bit about which design would Mrs. Larson-Green would choose (and Mr. Ballmer would say that is the one preferred by users) :unsure:

car682_1043615a.jpg

jaclaz

Now, think a bit about which design would Mrs. Larson-Green would choose (and Mr. Ballmer would say that is the one preferred by users) :unsure:

Like I said, it wouldn't be just the wrong design, but I'd expect it to have the controls of the motorbike (handlebars and all), not having the freedom or fuel economy of the bike, nor the comfort, stability or security of the car either. Win8 is one of those that manages to get the worst of both worlds: it really sucks on the desktop (it feels primarily as a tablet OS), and all the the useful software is for a desktop (and as such sucks on a tablet), the battery life of a laptop, and the price of both combined... It just doesn't work at any level.

By the way, I'm now the proud owner of a brand new iPad 4 (with Retina Display, just the 16GB model though).