Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Windows 8 - Deeper Impressions

• Please log in to reply
5760 replies to this topic

HalloweenDocument12

HalloweenDocument12

• PipPip
  • 118 posts

As often happens, OT but not much (and NO, NOT "News"):
http://www.huffingto...i_n_849936.html
http://www.digitalsp...kids-games.html

These are actually (almost) "News":
http://www.idownload...es-in-app-suit/

jaclaz

I think it would greatly strengthen the case if they could demonstrate that not only are the games designed to be addictive to kids but that the transaction systems are often virtually indistinguishable from slot-machine style gambling.

Unless the FTC et al get involved, settlement is highly likely and this case is unlikely to see a courtroom.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Formfiller

Formfiller

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
http://www.neowin.ne...mark-zuckerberg

Oh the irony. The fanboys and shills there are talking about how Facebook is irrelevant and could share the fate of MySpace any minute.. yet MS hardcoded FB into Windows Phone (and W8) in! Maybe it wasn't so smart to force all that social crap upon everyone, huh? I also think that FB is somewhat over-hyped, but watching Windows Phone fans deriding it is hilarious.

It's like Steam users calling computer games to be a waste of time.

HalloweenDocument12

HalloweenDocument12

• PipPip
  • 118 posts

I have no love for people who pirate so much stuff that they could fill ten blu-rays everyday

Minor disagreement but I feel these kind of people are "less wrong" than casual pirates. The reason is that the collectors spend so much time downloading and processing that it greatly cuts into entertainment time. I think a pathology is involved and that these people would be unlikely to translate into significant recovered sales. I think collectors are more interested in bragging about the state of their collection rather than consuming the content. Casual pirates on the other hand probably comprise the bulk of lost sales, even though they may actually buy the majority of items they consume.

I am starting to believe that these folks are genuinely masochistically inclined. What do you think? Begging corps. to deliver a worse experience in return for cash, and cheering them on when they really do it, is way beyond fanboy. It's also interesting that the juices of these retards begin really to flow when it's about forced big brother type tech. They get really excited then.

What about getting excited when people start dropping out, e.g. due to lack of stable, high speed Internet? This probably intersects with another line of thought common in gaming: hatred of casuals. The sycophants seem to think that gaming will improve if the customer base shrinks dramatically. I'm sure they'd change their minds once the gaming industry lost 80% of its revenue.

When people complained about lag and rubber-banding in Diablo 3, some Blizzard fanboys said, in earnest, that you shouldn't be playing games unless you're willing to relocate to Southern California or South Korea. These people also expect you to have premium Internet subscriptions to multiple ISPs. Again, if there is no such thing as a premium ISP in your immediate area, then it's your fault for not gambling your livelihood just to play some game that you'll be sick of in 2-3 weeks anyway.

I'm sure the same kind of comments happened with Sim City, which was totally inoperable for something like 10 days, but I knew what was going to happen before it was released just by knowing who was publishing it. I'm sure EA has their own troll base. Another popular one is "You're not buying a license to the game but permission to connect to their servers. If the server said that the game was down then that's all that's required. Anything more is generosity by the company and from that point on the game is free to play. You should be grateful."

Formfiller

Formfiller

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
http://www.neowin.ne...-analyst-really

Microsoft developing its own Google Glass rival, says analyst. Really?

The comments are tarded as usual - "they had this stuff in the labs even before Google existed! They are not copying.." Who cares? Actually, if true, it makes it only more pathetic. What were they doing all these decades? Classic "Linux had multi-tasking before..." whining. No one gave a crap then, no one gives a crap now for the metrotard whine choir.

I wonder whether MS will glassify metro now, dumbing it further down.

More stuff:

http://www.neowin.ne...on-game-console

Neowin moves a nanometer from the MS party-line, the tards are for the most part enraged! Hilarious, really. First thought I had was "Lord of the Flies".

Edited by Formfiller, 06 April 2013 - 02:49 PM.

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,054 posts
The latest on the drubbing Microsoft is taking on the Xbox ...

UK game retailers are already against an "always on" next Xbox ( NeoWin 2013-04-06 )

Editorial: The Internet in the U.S. isn't built for an "always on" game console ( NeoWin 2013-04-06 )

NeoBytes :) "My name is Francis. This is my Xbox. And this is my axe." ( NeoWin 2013-04-06 )

Always Online Adam Orth ... QuickMeme!

Jeez Louise. There are certain issues that really bring out the kooks, and this Xbox stuff is one of them. They just cannot resist the urge to make complete fools out of themselves. ...

Perfectly lucid commenter: "I'd like to say thanks to everyone that helped make this conversation possible. Rumor or not, I promise you Microsoft is listening and now they have no excuse if they try to jam it down our throats later this year. DRM is a big motivator here but it's also part of their much broader strategy to infiltrate every facet of your life, much like Google, little by little, more and more of everything you do is known to corporations/government."

MetroTard (actually an Uber-Softie): "^Perfect example of the Luddite movement I was talking about."

:blink: To resist the big brother always-on walled-garden is to be a Luddite! :lol: And that's just one small example, if you figure out who that poster is check out his trail of stubborn propaganda, at NeoWin and many other sites. I suspect he is a Softie, but if not, he is a certifiable astroturfer. Oh waitaminit, I think I smell a meme ( or he really gets around ).

So anyway, these big controversies serve an excellent purpose. They let us see just how far out on a creaking limb some people will crawl to protect their cult. It's absolutely stunning.

And from their Skype "service" ...

Bitcoin mining malware spreading on Skype ( ComputerWorld 2013-04-05 )

Malware spread on Skype taps victim PCs to mint bitcoins ( Ars Technica 2013-04-05 )

New Bitcoin mining malware spreading on Skype at 2,000 clicks per hour ( NeoWin 2013-04-06 )

Bitcoin-mining trojan spreading through Skype spam, Kaspersky warns ( Tom's Hardware 2013-04-08 )

See, I never thought this was a particularly smart buy for Microsoft. Trying to purchase and then monetize a service designed for and used mostly by frugal people trying to cut their phone costs is simply illogical. But more importantly, you buy it, you own as I mentioned earlier. Previously Skype was a hit-or-miss independent operation and you simply expected it to fail every so often. Now it is a Microsoft operation and as usual they are ( pardon the pun ) phoning it in. The problems still remain or may be accelerating, but now they are Microsoft branded problems. Microsoft owns it. Microsoft is spreading malware, turning in activists to the Chinese government and co-operating with the FBI against their "loyal customers". IMHO, no amount of revenue from this "service" is worth the hit to their reputation. But obviously, Ballmer thinks otherwise. :yes:

Why Windows fragmentation will blow Windows to smithereens (cough) ( ZDNet 2013-04-05 )

This is that author SJVN mentioned in an earlier post by HalloweenDocument12 who I wasn't aware of. He is actually poking fun at the Android hater crowd. But I won't spoil his clever plan. :lol: Naturally the MicroZealots are reeled right in. It's like fishing with dynamite in a stocked lake.

Alienware’s latest gaming PC has Linux on it, plays “over 25 games” ( Ars Technica 2013-04-05 )

Dell now offering Ubuntu Linux OS as option for Alienware X51 gaming PC ( ZDNet 2013-04-06 )

Dell Now Offering Ubuntu on Alienware X51 Machines ( Tom's Hardware 2013-04-10 )

The Ubuntu flavor of Linux has received a major endorsement from Dell with its announcement that it will offer the OS as an option for its Alienware X51 gaming rig.

The diminuitive PC starts at just $599 for a system with an Intel Core i3-3220 processor, 6GB of RAM, 1TB hard drive, and Nvidia GeForce GTX 645 graphics. (Of course, you can load on the upgraded components for additional cash.) Previously only available as a Windows system, the X51 now can be equipped with Ubuntu Linux 12.04.

Ruh Roh! Are they worried yet? They better be. And that's not really a bad price today since the Windows 8 tax kicked in during Q4 2012. Last year that would have been an average price for a very nice Windows 7 system. Flashback to October 5, 2012 ...

Spoiler

EDIT: added link(s)

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot, 10 April 2013 - 06:24 PM.

... Let him who hath understanding reckon the Number Of The Beast ...

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,019 posts

The reason is that the collectors spend so much time downloading and processing that it greatly cuts into entertainment time. I think a pathology is involved and that these people would be unlikely to translate into significant recovered sales. I think collectors are more interested in bragging about the state of their collection rather than consuming the content.

Again OT :ph34r: , I have found a very similar syndrome in otherwise very good guys :) when it come to two subjects:
  • unattended install
  • multi-boot USB sticks with Linux idistro's

1)
I am currently running a machine to which I installed XP in 2007 or 2008, all the other machine I have/deal with at home and at office (more or less 15) are running NT 4.0, 2K or XP, NONE of them have ever been re-installed, exception made for one (replaced motherboard).
If you assume that 45 minutes is a "reasonable" time to install a MS OS like those, I have totaled around 12 hours installing all of them over the years (and not "full attention" time, I just had to keep an eye on the machine while doing something else, allowing to have a walk, or take a coffe in the meantime), and let's double that to take into account the "base" apps that I install anyway.
If you have a look at the forum most of the people "fighting" with "unattended" installs spend tenfold that time :w00t: to get a "perfect unattended" with such "refinements" as custom coloured setup billboards (which BTW, if it is actually "unattended" noone will see) and possibly sophisticated and including each and every driver, etc., etc..
Now a minority actually have used this "perfect unattended" CD/DVD to install hundreds or thousands of times (because they work in a Computer Shop or are IT and deal with a large number of machines) , but I suspect that the majority have used it ony a handful of times or simply re-installed over and over routinely as a ("wrong" BTW) "maintenance step".

2)
When it comes to bootable USB sticks, I am very perplexed by the number of people that have (or want to have) any completely senseless number of Linux distro's on it. The good thing about the Linux OS is that it is perfectly and fully customizable (in a much easier way than MS OS are, obviously) from an "exactly same" core, and since there is this possibility what does a lot of people do? :unsure:
Add more and more distro's (which apart some graphical effects/looks) contain exactly the same programs.
To me it is logical to try (one by one) a few distro's, then choose one and use that one ONLY the I fancy, learning little by little to use it at it's full potential, adding/changing a few specific programs, removing others that I don't use, etc., i.e. exactly what I have always done with MS OSes. :yes:
A lot of people fall instead in what I call "collector's frenzy", the desire to add to a bootable stick each and every distro (which again contain more or less exactly the same tools under a different "skin") and never learn to use in "advanced mode" any of them.
I suspect that somewhere there are (underground) meetings where these peeps boast the number of distro's they manage to assemble into a single USB stick and that they never used after the initial booting and desktop appearing. :angel

jaclaz

HalloweenDocument12

HalloweenDocument12

• PipPip
  • 118 posts
I am guilty of the "unattended install" syndrome, though I think you mean to expand it to the entire 3rd party ecosystem (e.g. AutoPatcher, DriverPacks, etc.). I have dealt with over a thousand installs, ranging from individual to ~100 seat deployments. For me it's trying to figure out the balance, and it is a moving target. The problem is that it seems like it would be 45 minutes, but it really isn't. Sure you can get to some sort of desktop in that amount of time, but then there are the updates, drivers, applications, data, etc. For myself, I allocate an eight hour block and figure that I'll only be about halfway done, with the other half being done gradually over a period of months as circumstances arise.

I used to do this professionally, and my boss wanted me to just reformat every computer I came across because he thought that was a way of getting out in under an hour, but it ended up being my last resort as it was usually faster to find out what the specific issue was and address that, even if it took 2-3 hours. Most don't seem to understand just how long it takes to restore someone's computer to the way he wants it, and how prepared one needs to be upfront to minimize lost time. The "45 minutes" figure comes up a lot, but if you do installs that way you'll never get called again. After a while, I got very good at manual virus removals, which was the #1 issue, and didn't need to wait for long scans anymore, which were often defeated by the viruses, anyway.

ciHnoN

ciHnoN

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts

Donator

In Microsoft's wonderland, there are no options. Only rabbits. :o
He who laughs has not yet heard the bad news.

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• 2,054 posts
The XboxFiles continue! ...

Next Xbox rumored to be 'expensive' at launch ( NeoWin 2013-04-06 )

Microsoft to unveil next Xbox May 21, subsidized version for $300? ( TechSpot 2013-04-08 )

Report: Microsoft's April Xbox Event Pushed to May 21 ( Tom's Hardware 2013-04-08 )

Microsoft pushed back next Xbox reveal because it's not afraid of PS4? ( NeoWin 2013-04-08 )

The rumor mill is buzzing once again, and this time it is over the price of the Xbox, supposedly in the $500 range, possibly more expensive than the next Sony. :lol: This story originates from Thurrott ( see next ), and was his big scoop until it was interrupted by the Xbox #DealWithIt controversy.

UPDATE: note that the story has expanded to cover the changed date of the Xbox reveal. What is funny is the spin that NeoWin and MicroZealots are trying to put on it - that Microsoft changed the date because it looked at the Sony news and decided, "hmmm, no competition, we can take our time". :lol: It never occurs to them that Microsoft might actually be backtracking now, halting or postponing the "always-on" requirement.

Xbox v.Next and Always On(line) ( Thurrott 2013-04-07 )

Paul is off his biploar meds again. Actually he is just ticked off that his scoop on the price was washed away by that tsunami of controversy around Adam Orth ...

The Internet—or at least a certain part of the Internet—reacted with outrage, despite the fact that most of the complaints were likely made over high-speed cable connections.

Wait, what? :blink: Maybe they should have wrote snail-mail letters? Folks who use broadband should shut up? That's one huge Olympic sized long jump he just made there. Gold medal.

He could have been more tactful, but let’s face it, people are way too sensitive online.

As opposed to being offline? As opposed to being insensitive? What does this mean? Paul, this is righteous indignation you are seeing, and by now you as a supreme shill for the MicroBorg should be completely used to it. That means you are just making this stuff up as you go along now. Fine, keep enabling Microsoft's public suicide.

The biggest issue here, frankly, was the cyberbullying that occurred in the wake of Orth’s comments. Those sensitive people aren’t so sensitive when it comes to other people, that’s for sure. In fact, that’s my exact definition of a bully.

This one is particularly sickening to me. Cyberbullying, or any bullying has one key component, and that is an innocent victim. Such victims do not deserve the heat the receive. Adam Orth is not innocent, nor a victim. He is a self-identified Softie, and a bigwig too. He is on a huge public forum, Twitter. He is talking to a representative of another company. Thurrott is taking a giant crap on all actual innocent victims everywhere by trying to protect this Softie from any consequences for his arrogance and own big mouth.

And there it would have sat. I never would have written this up, because I can’t stand this sort of pseudo-outrage.

Pseudo-outrage. :blink: That Microsoft patented arrogant insular thinking is really rubbing off onto the fanboys. It's stunning. There is nothing pseudo about this or any of the other outrage, particularly that over Windows 8. They call them Apple trolls, Google, Linux, phonies, and now "pseudo". In short, call them anything except for what they really are, customers. That sound you have been hearing for TWO YEARS now is a bonafide uproar from the Microsoft and Windows loyalists. That's why it is so loud, so persistent, and so righteous.

More to the point, I think that an always-on Xbox is directly in keeping with Microsoft’s strategy for all next-generation platforms, including Windows Phone (all versions) and Windows 8/RT, which are designed to work as if you are simply connected all the time.

Did he just actually use a cellphone as a comparative example of a device that expects "always-on" to rationalize their crazy Xbox strategy? Man, they must be paying him some serious money to put that sentence together with a straight face. :yes:

But the knee-jerk reaction to this functionality—which, again, could certainly have been communicated a bit better—is happening before we have all the facts. Let’s see what Microsoft has to say about the next Xbox, first in a late May launch event, and then later at both E3 and BUILD 2013, before we make up our minds. Let’s not let one ill-conceived comment ruin what’s going to be an awesome year for Xbox. And yes, it really is going to be awesome.

Yeah, that's the ticket. Wait until it is done and released. Wouldn't that be convenient for Microsoft. That's what they're hoping for. That's what they're counting on. And they expect their enablers to aid them by doing exactly what Thurrott is doing here. Up the dosage Paul. The current prescription is not cutting it.

See, what actually happened here is that Thurrott got caught flat-footed by this story. He was off doing something else, having already pre-recorded a segment about the Xbox before this story broke. So he had no choice but to cut short his vacation and write something, and this is the result. It is clearly "phoned in". Compounding the problem I believe is that Thurrott probably realizes that criticism of all of Microsoft's crazy strategies are reaching critical mass now, from all segments of customers about all of their key products and he is running out of energy defending them. That's how this post reads to me. The commenters beneath this article are another story altogether.

EDIT: added link(s)

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot, 09 April 2013 - 02:20 PM.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,019 posts

In Microsoft's wonderland, there are no options. Only rabbits. :o

Well, you shouldn't post here just links to your site, and particularly your approach seems offensive towards rabbits :w00t: :realmad:

Spoiler

Bunnies are cool. B)

And they have NO copy protection (results in cloning may vary, though :blink: )
Spoiler

jaclaz

Formfiller

Formfiller

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
I get the feeling MS wants to make it into the Guinness book of records. "Fastest loss of marketshare by a multi-billion dollar company".

Any other explanations? They seem to be genuinely ecstatic about p***ing-off as much customers and developers are possible.

"I heard these Xbox kiddies are the most ardent defenders of our metro strategy in public forums.. that's unacceptable, we need to annoy them somehow too".

JorgeA

JorgeA

FORMAT B: /V /S

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,024 posts

To me it is logical to try (one by one) a few distro's, then choose one and use that one ONLY the I fancy, learning little by little to use it at it's full potential, adding/changing a few specific programs, removing others that I don't use, etc., i.e. exactly what I have always done with MS OSes. :yes:

My "ideal" Linux distro would be one that combines the Windows look-and-feel of Zorin OS with the stunning graphics of Netrunner. Every other distro I've tried features what I can only describe as "powdery" or "grainy" visuals (n the start menu, wallpaper, windows borders, application menus, etc.). I'm not sure what the proper term for it is, or what causes it, but it's the best that I can come up with to indicate what I mean.

From the little I know of Linux in my limited explorations of it, it will probably be easier to give Netrunner a Windows-type start menu, than to give to Zorin OS (or any other Linux I've seen) those sharp graphics. But I'm willing to be corrected!

--JorgeA

Formfiller

Formfiller

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
Thurrott:

http://winsupersite....d-always-online

Two comments about this that I posted to Twitter but will add to the public record here:

1) Today, an Xbox 360 that is not connected to the Internet is absolutely worthless to me. So the notion of a new Xbox that requires a connection is not just not problematic, it's to be expected. It's not 1979.

2) The Roku and other similar set-top boxes also require an always-on Internet connection. There's no outrage about that, as there shouldn't be.

Just a (couple of) thought(s).

What a p***-poor reasoning, he isn't even trying anymore. Most people pop up a DVD into the console and play. It doesn't become "worthless" with no connection, just some additional features (like online-play) aren't available.

The bit about Roku is over-the-top retarded. A settop box needs per definition a provider. Just like a phone. Devices like phones and set-top-boxes can't provide the function that they are built for without a connection. Laws of physics.

They are desperately trying to mix two completely different things: Additional features versus requirement.

Edited by Formfiller, 08 April 2013 - 10:30 AM.

Formfiller

Formfiller

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
Another one of these masochists on Thurrott's site:

People are so upset that "always online" could possibly be only for the purpose of DRM. Because of this, we finally know just how many people pirate games, and we can pinpoint specific people who are upset about DRM as likely pirates. If we can end game piracy by way of always-online experience, then maybe games will be sold with 5 licenses by default.

Airtight logic. And everyone opposed to surveillance drones entering your house at will is a terrorist and should be sent to a re-eduction camp before he plants a bomb.

"I've had to read a book for school called "1980" or something, and it was totally cool. No one is alone there, because his friends monitor him everytime through TV! LOL! I wish my TV could do that. They all speak a cool language "NewsSpeak", I like it, because it's so short and so easy! You don't have to write much to express feelings'stuff with it. Can't wait 'til all becomes reality! See ya!"

Edited by Formfiller, 08 April 2013 - 10:57 AM.

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,024 posts

Xbox v.Next and Always On(line) ( Thurrott 2013-04-07 )

Paul is off his biploar meds again.

You may be more right than you think (in general if not in this particular case). I've been away for a few days, which gave me time to ponder some of these issues somewhat more detachedly. While thinking about it, and now reading about these incredible "why would I live there" and "we must all be connected all the time" comments, it strikes me that Thurrott, Adam Orth and other proponents of this stuff just don't have the wiring to get it. They seem to be incapable of understanding how or why anybody would want to lead their life differently, and specifically in a way that doesn't involve dependence on and deference to The Center.

It's almost like a mental illness, or at best a dark aspect of the human character that has come to the surface (so to speak) in the neowinnies and mstards of the world. More than simply accepting it, they welcome and even prefer to be monitored, watched, tethered, given a pre-made environment, told what to do -- and they actually feel insulted ("you're Luddites," etc.) when someone dares to suggest it might be better to lead your own independent life and to tailor your immediate environment to your own requirements. It's as if deep inside they want to feel part of some giant collective abstraction and gleefully give up their freedom and individuality for the sake of participating in it.

Shall we call them...

--Giorgos of MYOFB

Formfiller

Formfiller

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
Well, the "Singularity" is very popular with the IT-Elite apparently. Maybe that's an additional reason why all this always-connected stuff is getting so promoted.

In case you don't know what's about:

http://graphics8.nyt...get_excerpt.pdf

The Singularity is an apocalyptic idea originally proposed by John von
Neumann, one of the inventors of digital computation, and elucidated by
figures such as Vernor Vinge and Ray Kurzweil.
There are many versions of the fantasy of the Singularity. Here’s the
one Marvin Minsky used to tell over the dinner table in the early 1980s:
One day soon, maybe twenty or thirty years into the twenty- first century,
computers and robots will be able to construct copies of themselves, and
these copies will be a little better than the originals because of intelligent
software. The second generation of robots will then make a third,
but it will take less time, because of the improvements over the first
generation.
The process will repeat. Successive generations will be ever smarter
and will appear ever faster. People might think they’re in control, until
one fine day the rate of robot improvement ramps up so quickly that
superintelligent robots will suddenly rule the Earth.

In some versions of the story, the robots are imagined to be microscopic,
forming a “gray goo” that eats the Earth; or else the internet itself
comes alive and rallies all the net- connected machines into an army to
control the affairs of the planet. Humans might then enjoy immortality
within virtual reality, because the global brain would be so huge that it
would be absolutely easy—a no- brainer, if you will—for it to host all our
consciousnesses for eternity.
The coming Singularity is a popular belief in the society of technologists.
Singularity books are as common in a computer science department
as Rapture images are in an evangelical bookstore.

From "You're Not a Gadget" by Jaron Lannier.

So basically this:
Spoiler
(contains Deus Ex 2 spoilers)

Edited by Formfiller, 08 April 2013 - 11:17 AM.

HalloweenDocument12

HalloweenDocument12

• PipPip
  • 118 posts

The biggest issue here, frankly, was the cyberbullying that occurred in the wake of Orth’s comments. Those sensitive people aren’t so sensitive when it comes to other people, that’s for sure. In fact, that’s my exact definition of a bully.

This one is particularly sickening to me. Cyberbullying, or any bullying has one key component, and that is an innocent victim. Such victims do not deserve the heat the receive. Adam Orth is not innocent, nor a victim. He is a self-identified Softie, and a bigwig too. He is on a huge public forum, Twitter. He is talking to a representative of another company. Thurrott is taking a giant crap on all actual innocent victims everywhere by trying to protect this Softie from any consequences for his arrogance and own big mouth.

Not sure if you're aware of this, but there's this anti-bullying "thing" going on online at the moment. It started earnestly in response to high-profile suicides due to things like Facebook harassment but has been co-opted and corrupted into what amounts into a tool to chill arguments. The gist is that party X can make the most inflammatory remark and that if he receives more than a few counterarguments then he is being "bullied". One would think it pretty clear that X is, in fact, the aggressor, but "victim culture" (a related concept) twists the response into an emotional appeal to distract from the invalidity of the original argument. As in the above example, the emotional appeal will almost certainly contain platitudes with charged language. Similar concepts include "safe space", or the appeal that people should be shielded from all criticism and negativity and "privilege", or the idea that whoever is making the counterargument is in a position of strength by invalid means and cannot argue in good faith due to his ill-gotten superior position. "Safe space" and "privilege" originated in the LGBT and feminist communities but are now being used in general argumentation. When combining all these "tools" it allows one to establish a position of advocacy yet shield himself from any criticism.

Skepticism, critical thinking, and evidence gathering are the sworn enemies of the above concepts.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,019 posts
Possibly related :unsure::

Why Tech Projects Fail: 5 Unspoken Reasons
http://www.informati...40152282?pgno=1

In most companies, determining the potential costs and benefits of a tech investment is neither art nor science. Rather, it's an elaborate and often dishonest marketing exercise (upward and outward-facing) aimed at persuading senior stakeholders that one HIPPO should win out.
At my previous employer, a large financial institution that has gone belly up, I attended a great many senior management off-sites. One particular exchange with a senior exec has haunted me for more than a decade. During a breakout session, a midlevel manager asked what he should do if he were competing with his internal peers for funding when he knew that their functions and ideas were more important to the bank. The answer from the senior exec: Treat your role as the most important and do everything you can to win that funding fight. In other words, putting yourself first is in the best interests of the company.

The unintended consequence of this kind of thinking was the financial community's spectacular collapse. The unintended consequence in IT -- and this isn't unique to my former employer -- is that project funding more often goes to mildly technical marketers and shameless salespeople, not to hardcore engineers and scientists who let the data drive.

Rare is the executive who puts the company's interests before his or her own (financial stability, career progression, personal brand building). And that kind of behavior isn't exclusive to executives; it's pervasive from the boardroom to the mailroom.

jaclaz

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• 2,054 posts

Not sure if you're aware of this, but there's this anti-bullying "thing" going on online at the moment. It started earnestly in response to high-profile suicides due to things like Facebook harassment but has been co-opted and corrupted into what amounts into a tool to chill arguments. The gist is that party X can make the most inflammatory remark and that if he receives more than a few counterarguments then he is being "bullied". One would think it pretty clear that X is, in fact, the aggressor, but "victim culture" (a related concept) twists the response into an emotional appeal to distract from the invalidity of the original argument. As in the above example, the emotional appeal will almost certainly contain platitudes with charged language. Similar concepts include "safe space", or the appeal that people should be shielded from all criticism and negativity and "privilege", or the idea that whoever is making the counterargument is in a position of strength by invalid means and cannot argue in good faith due to his ill-gotten superior position. "Safe space" and "privilege" originated in the LGBT and feminist communities but are now being used in general argumentation. When combining all these "tools" it allows one to establish a position of advocacy yet shield himself from any criticism.

Skepticism, critical thinking, and evidence gathering are the sworn enemies of the above concepts.

Exactly why that Thurrott argument is distasteful to me. Last refuge of a scoundrel.

HalloweenDocument12

HalloweenDocument12

• PipPip
  • 118 posts

2) The Roku and other similar set-top boxes also require an always-on Internet connection. There's no outrage about that, as there shouldn't be.

Not strictly true. The XS model allows local streaming. That said, it's probably not as good of a solution compared to, say, a PlayStation 3. On the other hand, Roku costs $85 for the premium model and $50 for the standard so it's not quite the same thing compared to a $500 video game console.

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,024 posts
This whole thing about needing an Internet connection to play a game is ridiculous on its face. Why would you have to be online in order to play a game, any more than you have to be online in order to read a book??

Yeah, yeah, we know all about e-readers. :rolleyes: At this point it wouldn't surprise me if, before long, we were required to be online even to read a d*mn book. But the point about e-readers doesn't address the issue, which is -- why would anybody consider such a connection necessary? And, more critically, why would any customer want to do it this way?

The only reasonable scenario for a computer game needing to be online is for multiplayer games. (Although even that wouldn't be so for games played by small groups in the same building.) Anything beyond that is a gratuitous burden.

--JorgeA

vinifera

vinifera

<°)))><

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts
its enforcing "standard"

I wouldn't be surprised in near future that we have to be online to even boot to our freaking OS !

companies just searching a new innovative ways to screw people over

Edited by vinifera, 08 April 2013 - 07:05 PM.

If you want true Windows user experience
try Longhorn builds: 3718, 4029, 4066

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,024 posts
Awareness (and the effects) of lackluster Windows 8 sales are starting to spill over into the wider world:

Bank of America thinks Windows 8 'lacks momentum' and challenges optimism

Bank of America, a multinational banking and financial services company, has downgraded their stock in Microsoft and they are blaming a "lack of momentum" as the reason...

"We were hoping that MSFT would make a bold foray with Win 8 into smartphones and tablets. Conventional product cycle wisdom dictates that the stock should peak before a Win launch (it hit $31.45 in Sept '12 before Win 8), but we remained optimistic because the limited availability of touch-based devices impaired an objective assessment of Win 8. Now, six months post launch, despite more available touch-based devices, Win 8 lacks momentum, challenging our optimism," Ragan stated.

As a result, BoA has downgraded their recommendation for Microsoft stock from "Buy" to "Neutral." Notice how they have no time for MS/Thurrott-type excuses for the poor sales performance of the company's products.

That "conventional wisdom," BTW, is very similar to what my historical stock research had indicated and I'd intended to buy MSFT in late summer shortly before launch. Good thing that my incurable procrastination took over and I never got around to making the purchase.

--JorgeA

Formfiller

Formfiller

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
http://www.neowin.ne...-for-businesses

Windows XP deadline leads to new Windows 8 price cut for businesses

As we mentioned earlier today, we are just one year away from Microsoft ending its official support for Windows XP. While the OS launched over 11 years ago, a large number of businesses still use Windows XP and have not upgraded their systems to Windows 7 or 8.

Today, as expected, Microsoft sent out a press release that basically says it will be sticking to its April 8th, 2014 date for ending Windows XP support. Erwin Visser, general manager, Windows Commercial, is quoted as saying, ".... those that haven’t yet started their migration process need to begin as soon as possible to ensure that they meet the April 8, 2014, deadline."

Microsoft has also launched a new program for small and medium size businesses to make it easier for them to update to Windows 8. The Windows for Business blog reports that Microsoft will give those businesses which still have Windows XP installed a 15 percent discount on buying both Windows 8 Pro as well as Office 2013 Standard (Office 2003 support will also end one year from now). The discount ends for those outlets on June 30th and is available for up to 100 licenses each of Windows 8 Pro and Office 2013 Standard.

This must be the first time in computing history that switching from a 12 year old OS to the new one is a downgrade.

Posted Image

Get lost! They just don't get it. Even if metro would be truly better (ha!), calling it "modern" is insulting to customers. You're p***ing off the people who user your older system, adding one additional barrier to W8 adoption.

Microsoft's sales abilities are as awesome as Al Bundy's in his shoe shop.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Formfiller, 09 April 2013 - 06:25 AM.

Formfiller

Formfiller

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
Metrotards once again invert the rules of the market:

http://www.neowin.ne...comment-2160233

Stay with 7 and in 15 years we're having an identical post to this except replace XP with 7.

Thank you all blind idiotic Win8 haters for giving us ANOTHER 15 years with the same freaking OS.

How about thank you Microsoft for making a product no one wanted? I don't know for sure, but as far as I know this poster is in bed with MS (I think I've read a post where he admitted working for them). If true, that's how the prevalent thinking is there apparently. They seem to be genuinely clueless about their own product and why one product is a success and another is not.

Another gem from the same poster:

http://www.neowin.ne...comment-2160235

Windows XP is even today still a good basic OS. It was top of the line advanced when it was released. Windows 7 appears still a very good OS, but not in 10 years anymore. It already looks dated compared to Windows 8.

These tards sure know how to instill aggressive feelings. I think the CIA should hire them as torture specialists. If they are this grating on the nerves over the internet, just imagine what wonders they could do in person!

Dot Matrix, the chief torture master (apparently in bed, too) weighs in:

http://www.neowin.ne...comment-2160115

Microsoft should release an update that causes any remaining XP machines to spontaneously combust. That'll get people to upgrade.

Personally, I stopped supporting XP a year or so ago. Anyone coming to me with an XP machine has been greeted with, "Would you be interested in exploring and upgrading to Windows 8?"

Would you be interested in making love to it, too?

Only someone who has personally seen a MS paycheck would write something like this. It's so over the top that I would not even consider it shilling anymore, they could as well wear a huge hat with a huge "I GET PAID FOR THIS"-sign on.

Edited by Formfiller, 09 April 2013 - 06:20 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN