Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Windows 8 - Deeper Impressions

• Please log in to reply
6151 replies to this topic

ciHnoN

ciHnoN

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Joined 22-January 13

Donator

http://www.neowin.ne...t-in-outlookcom ...oops, they got scroogled... er.... I mean microogled... er... scromicragled... :P
He who laughs has not yet heard the bad news.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

JorgeA

JorgeA

FORMAT B: /V /S

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,284 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-puts-in-new-tile-based-ad-format-in-outlookcom ...oops, they got scroogled... er.... I mean microogled... er... scromicragled... :P

Ads on the Outlook.com page?? No, thanks! Like a commenter gruffly suggested: yes, I'd rather use my own offline client. In any case, Microsoft's record on privacy (as seen many times in this thread) hardly inspires confidence. Other people (including that commenter) can be sliced and diced for all the data they're worth, if they prefer.

Best commenter there on this Outlook.com ad thing:

Soon coming to a Start Screen near you.

--JorgeA

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,284 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10
A crack in Microsoft's OEM front: http://www.shopping....=0&PageSize=15.

Attached File  HP Chromebook.jpg   5.38KB   1 downloads

Hasn't HP been one of the OEMs most loyal and committed to Windows? Maybe their introduction of a Chromebook says something.

Ultimately, I'd like to see them offer a model (any form factor) with Linux preinstalled, or better yet no OS preinstalled.

Thoughts?

--JorgeA

Formfiller

Formfiller

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • Joined 03-January 13
Interesting Neowin article for once:

http://www.neowin.ne...t-dont-like-you

“So, what do you think of Windows 8?” If I had a dollar for every time that question has been asked of me, I’d be a rich man. Sadly, those who ask for my opinion in that regard rarely do me the courtesy of paying for my time, but invariably, once they’ve heard my thoughts on Microsoft’s latest operating system, they see fit to return the favour by sharing their own opinions with me.

In my professional and social activities, I get to hear these musings from a pretty broad range of individuals – from the Trend Micro reps I chatted with at Mobile World Congress, to the Huawei executive I bumped into at the airport, to the staffer from The Telegraph that I drunkenly tried (and failed) to chat up on a night bus, to friends and family.

I hear from those who have bought shiny new Windows 8 notebooks; those who have upgraded their older PCs to the latest Windows version; those who are wondering if they should upgrade; and those who use Macs and despise Windows. Everyone, it seems, has an opinion.

With few exceptions, those opinions are far from positive. Those who have used Windows 8 express frustration; the dichotomy between the Desktop and Metro is confusing, the Start button is missing, the apps are lacking. Those who are on the fence express apprehension; they’ve heard less than glowing reviews about Windows 8 from friends and in the media, and are nervous about taking the plunge. Those who have no intention of ever using Windows 8 express satisfaction; what better vindication of their own choice, after all, than to know that the path not taken leads only to woe?

Whomever I speak with, the common factor in almost all of the conversations that I have about Windows 8 is the impression of negativity that seems to have pervaded consumer consciousness. There is no love, no affection, no emotional attachment whatsoever, it seems, among the overwhelming majority of consumers for Windows.

Well, too bad the article degrades after this and instead of blaming Windows 8 or metro, the main problem, they go on about how it's mostly the fault of Microsoft's bad image because of 90s anti-trust. Ridonkulus.

But at least they are making some progress. A few months ago even this article wouldn't appear on Neowin.

Edited by Formfiller, 24 April 2013 - 09:04 AM.

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,284 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Interesting Neowin article for once:

http://www.neowin.ne...t-dont-like-you

“So, what do you think of Windows 8?” If I had a dollar for every time that question has been asked of me, I’d be a rich man. Sadly, those who ask for my opinion in that regard rarely do me the courtesy of paying for my time, but invariably, once they’ve heard my thoughts on Microsoft’s latest operating system, they see fit to return the favour by sharing their own opinions with me.

In my professional and social activities, I get to hear these musings from a pretty broad range of individuals – from the Trend Micro reps I chatted with at Mobile World Congress, to the Huawei executive I bumped into at the airport, to the staffer from The Telegraph that I drunkenly tried (and failed) to chat up on a night bus, to friends and family.

I hear from those who have bought shiny new Windows 8 notebooks; those who have upgraded their older PCs to the latest Windows version; those who are wondering if they should upgrade; and those who use Macs and despise Windows. Everyone, it seems, has an opinion.

With few exceptions, those opinions are far from positive. Those who have used Windows 8 express frustration; the dichotomy between the Desktop and Metro is confusing, the Start button is missing, the apps are lacking. Those who are on the fence express apprehension; they’ve heard less than glowing reviews about Windows 8 from friends and in the media, and are nervous about taking the plunge. Those who have no intention of ever using Windows 8 express satisfaction; what better vindication of their own choice, after all, than to know that the path not taken leads only to woe?

Whomever I speak with, the common factor in almost all of the conversations that I have about Windows 8 is the impression of negativity that seems to have pervaded consumer consciousness. There is no love, no affection, no emotional attachment whatsoever, it seems, among the overwhelming majority of consumers for Windows.

Well, too bad the article degrades after this and instead of blaming Windows 8 or metro, the main problem, they go on about how it's mostly the fault of Microsoft's bad image because of 90s anti-trust. Ridonkulus.

But at least they are making some progress. A few months ago even this article wouldn't appear on Neowin.

Yeah, for Neowin that definitely counts as progress!

The article does deteriorate in the second half. Funny how the writer says that --

Metro – or whatever the hell Microsoft wants to call it these days – is the glue that binds its consumer offerings together: Windows Phone, Windows 8, Windows RT and Xbox, along with its various online services, such as Outlook.com and SkyDrive. The unprecedented integration of all of these services, working harmoniously together with a unified visual experience is key to winning over the hearts and minds of consumers.

-- and yet it's exactly the hardware boasting this "unified visual experience" :puke: that are the ones failing to set the tech market on fire.

One more gold nugget in the article: he really skewers the "increased earnings in the Windows division" spin that was reported last week --

The story is more complex than those figures suggest. As Charles Arthur, technology editor at The Guardian, explains, $1.1bn of the $5.7bn revenue for the Windows division was deferred from revenues generated by the pre-launch $15 Windows 8 upgrade offer given to those purchasing Windows 7 PCs in mid-2012. Business sales of Windows 7 licences to companies migrating from Windows XP - reacting to the final death knell of its demise next year - also gave things a boost, as did sales of Microsoft’s Surface tablets, which also come under the Windows division.

That Windows division revenues have been propped up by a pre-launch promotion, Windows 7 enterprise sales and Surface hardware sales doesn't exactly point to Windows 8 being a runaway success among consumers since its launch. Whichever way you spin the numbers, Surface - with Windows RT and Windows 8 Pro - hasn’t exactly taken the market by storm. While Surface sales helped to top up Windows division revenues, it’s widely believed that Microsoft has sold fewer than 1.5m of its tablets since launch last year.

The sample Start Screen used in the article may help to explain Microsoft's commercial difficulties:

Attached File  Start Screen.jpg   99.99KB   8 downloads

What a royal mess. Who can imagine a more disheveled mishmash of clashing colors and designs (squares and rectangles; logos and photographs; nearly wordless symbols and full tiles of graphics-free text... in every chromatic value on the palette)? Gimme those elegant floating iPad icons over this, any day!

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA, 24 April 2013 - 03:27 PM.

G8YMW

G8YMW

• PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Joined 20-May 08
Yes JorgeA, it looks like some farmer (me?). has emptied his muck spreader on the screen, good job it doesn't have smell-o-vision lol.
Of course Microsoft's biggest problem is they're trying to break into a near saturated market about five years too late

TELVM

TELVM

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Joined 09-February 12
I was reading on the Wikipedia about the Bay of Pigs when stumbled onto this. For some reason while reading it I kept thinking about this all over the web phenomenom we can call 'The Metrotard Attitude'.

Groupthink

... The more amiability and esprit de corps there is among the members of a policy-making ingroup, the greater the danger that independent critical thinking will be replaced by groupthink, which is likely to result in irrational and dehumanizing actions directed against outgroups ...

... eight symptoms indicative of groupthink.

Type I: Overestimations of the group — its power and morality

1. Illusions of invulnerability creating excessive optimism and encouraging risk taking.
2. Unquestioned belief in the morality of the group, causing members to ignore the consequences of their actions.

Type II: Closed-mindedness

1. Rationalizing warnings that might challenge the group's assumptions.
2. Stereotyping those who are opposed to the group as weak, evil, biased, spiteful, impotent, or stupid.

Type III: Pressures toward uniformity

1. Self-censorship of ideas that deviate from the apparent group consensus.
2. Illusions of unanimity among group members, silence is viewed as agreement.
3. Direct pressure to conform placed on any member who questions the group, couched in terms of "disloyalty".
4. Mind guards— self-appointed members who shield the group from dissenting information.

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,054 posts
  • Joined 24-September 07
Strategy Analytics: 3 million Windows tablets shipped in Q1 2013 ( NeoWin 2013-04-24 )

... three million Windows-based tablets shipped worldwide in the first quarter of 2013. [...]

... the market share of Windows-based tablets was at 7.5 percent for the quarter. [...]

Apple admitted earlier this week that it shipped 19.5 million iPad units during the first quarter of this year. Strategy Analytics said those numbers were enough for Apple to capture 48.2 percent of the tablet market during the quarter [...]

... there were 17.6 million Android-based tablets shipped during the quarter, which enabled it to claim 43.4 percent of the total market. [...]

Overall tablet shipments reached a record high of 40.6 million units ...

Astonishingly, the MetroTards are rejoicing. No, I am not kidding. Here are the hard facts in the story, Q1 2013 tablets ...
Apple ..... 19.5 million ... 48.2%
Android ... 17.6 million ... 43.4%
Windows .... 3.0 million .... 7.5%
:lol:

ModernMix for Windows 8 gets updated ( NeoWin 2013-04-24 )

Posted Image
( Image from NeoWin )

What is funny is that the aforementioned MetroTard MicroZealot-in-Chief makes appearances throughout the comments making a complete utter fool of himself ...

Commenting on Stardock making ModernMix instead of Microsoft: "Could have, but didn't, and never will. Metro apps don't run on the desktop for a reason. They're moving away from the classic desktop."

Commenting on multi-tasking on the desktop with overlapping windows: "If you're covering up a window with another window, then you don't really need that bottom window in focus. Metro solves the issue of "clutter". You're not getting much work done with dozens of open windows all covered up."

More on multi-tasking on the desktop with overlapping windows: "Any window not in focus just adds clutter to your workspace. If it's sitting in the background, then you don't really need it on screen."

Children these days. They think they know everything! :lol: But unfortunately that opinion is not confined to generation Xbox MetroTards, it flows out of Redmond itself. There are lots of these people around. It hasn't occurred to them that to achieve what they desire Microsoft has needed to dismantle every facet of "Windows" to accommodate them. Which has been the point all along among us 'haterz', all they had to do was design a "Microsoft Tiles" just for the 'tards and everyone would be happy. Yet these same 'tards scratch their heads wondering why we are upset at Microsoft for destroying Windows. :blink:

EDIT: photo credit, updated image URL

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot, 15 May 2013 - 06:22 PM.

... Let him who hath understanding reckon the Number Of The Beast ...

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• 2,054 posts
  • Joined 24-September 07
In Blue: Multi-PC App Uninstall ( Thurrott 2013-04-24 )

Here’s an interesting new feature in Windows 8.1 “Blue”: When you uninstall an app, it will be uninstalled from all of your PCs by default, not just the PC you’re currently using.

Posted Image
( image source: Thurrott )

Jeez Louise. :blink: That patented Microsoft logic twisting. I think one of the commenters there has it exactly right: "I would say if you wanted the uninstall to be on the "current PC Only", they the wording should be changed to “This app and its related info will be removed from this PC” and the check box should be to "Uninstall from all your PCs"". :yes: I also like the ambiguous focus in that screenshot, where the white mini-window is active but indistinguishable from every other screen element in this 2D nightmare. It all looks like crap. Pure, stinky crap.

Why does this make me think of 'designed by committee'? Vista and 7 ...

Posted Image
( image source: Microsoft )

Which was later redesigned by a committee of committees in Windows 8 ...

Posted Image
( image source: Microsoft )

( The last two images are from the official Destroying Windows blog: Designing the Windows 8 file name collision experience. Yes, they really do add the word "experience" to just about everything. :lol: )

Well at least the focus is crystal clear. :lol: Notice the pronounced shadow and that the non-focused window "Replace or Skip Files" has changed color as well. How is it possible to change everything for the worse?

EDIT: updated image URLs

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot, 15 May 2013 - 06:43 PM.

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,284 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

What is funny is that the aforementioned MetroTard MicroZealot-in-Chief makes appearances throughout the comments making a complete utter fool of himself ...

Commenting on Stardock making ModernMix instead of Microsoft: "Could have, but didn't, and never will. Metro apps don't run on the desktop for a reason. They're moving away from the classic desktop."

Commenting on multi-tasking on the desktop with overlapping windows: "If you're covering up a window with another window, then you don't really need that bottom window in focus. Metro solves the issue of "clutter". You're not getting much work done with dozens of open windows all covered up."

More on multi-tasking on the desktop with overlapping windows: "Any window not in focus just adds clutter to your workspace. If it's sitting in the background, then you don't really need it on screen."

Children these days. They think they know everything! :lol: But unfortunately that opinion is not confined to generation Xbox MetroTards, it flows out of Redmond itself. There are lots of these people around. It hasn't occurred to them that to achieve what they desire Microsoft has needed to dismantle every facet of "Windows" to accommodate them. Which has been the point all along among us 'haterz', all they had to do was design a "Microsoft Tiles" just for the 'tards and everyone would be happy. Yet these same 'tards scratch their heads wondering why we are upset at Microsoft for destroying Windows. :blink:

Boy, that Neowin guy must have very simple needs (and/or a very limited imagination) if he can't fathom why anybody would want to have more than one window showing on the screen at the same time.

I'm flabbergasted. Where have they been for the last 25 years?? Don't they know or remember that that's how things started, and that we moved to overlapping windows for a reason?

It's been a while since I fired up one of my Win8 previews, but it seems that even on the fanbois' own terms, Windows versions featuring the Taskbar are more practical for task-switching than this Metro cr*p. In Metro you have to first call up the list of open apps, then locate the one you want, and then select it. In the classic Taskbar, every open window is always listed along the bottom of the screen and you can simply click it. Not to mention that if your windows are overlapping you can just click on it directly. That involves fewer steps than in Metro to get to the desired application, and just as importantly it doesn't require you to shift your mental focus from the tasks at hand to the tedious process of calling up the list of open apps, then visually scanning for the little thumbnail with the one you need next, then selecting it and hoping you still remember why you wanted to switch to it. Anybody who's ever done serious work on a PC realizes that the majority of these tasks is done in short-term memory, such that anything that slows down or interrupts the process (like Metro app switching) is liable to break your flow and you have to start over again.

We've been car shopping the last several days. It's extremely useful to be able to set up IE tabs, each with a specs page from one of five different varieties of a model, to do a quick visual comparison to see where exactly the differences in features and options lie. At one point I had three browser windows open side by side. (I do know that there are charts that purport to show these things at a glance with red X's and green checkmarks; but they're never as detailed or complete as the actual specs page, plus they introduce their own confusion with separate lines for items with minor differences and then you have to figure out why all the red X's. No matter how you cut it, it's faster to be able to have multiple tabs or windows open at the same time on the same screen.)

--JorgeA

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,284 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Yes JorgeA, it looks like some farmer (me?). has emptied his muck spreader on the screen, good job it doesn't have smell-o-vision lol.

Of course Microsoft's biggest problem is they're trying to break into a near saturated market about five years too late

Yup.

You can do that if you come in with a product that's better than what's already out there, but it's far from clear that Windows phones or Windows 8/RT tablets are better than what's already on the market.

--JorgeA

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,284 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Groupthink

The items were all very fitting! :no:

--JorgeA

bpalone

bpalone

• PipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Joined 04-March 09

Donator

@GeorgeA

I'm flabbergasted. Where have they been for the last 25 years?? Don't they know or remember that that's how things started, and that we moved to overlapping windows for a reason?

Those who do not know history are doomed to repeat it.

sparkles

sparkles

• 14 posts
  • Joined 17-April 13
Jerks like this "pjmasi" dingus really [bleep] me off...

Who actually uses the Windows 7 start menu on a regular basis? I'm currently looking at a taskbar of 15 small icons that have been pinned, with room to spare for at least 10 more. Those are the applications I use, and (for me anyway) there's no need to use more than that. Now that I think about it, I seriously can't remember the last time I clicked on "All Programs" or cared what was in it. Windows 8 offers the exact same pinned application usage pattern. What is the big deal here?

The big deal is that fat heads like ^this^ are now in charge. "There's no need to use more than that." Who the [bleep] are YOU to decide how many programs I should be able to efficiently access on MY [bleep]ing computer??? Sheesh...

Have you seen the salad dressing aisle of your local supermarket? Well I think there are TOO MANY damned flavors -- who needs this many choices? I say eliminate all except Ken's, they've got 43 flavors, that should be sufficient to please everyone. Because I say so! And if it's good enough for me then it should be good enough for everyone! And if you still prefer Hidden Valley Ranch and just don't like Ken's, well, you're just being ignorant and resistant to change!

Meanwhile, I saw this commercial and thought it was just brilliant..."Sometimes circles just make sense."
Take a look at the vids in the As Seen on Television section...the woman on the bike with the oval wheels is me bumping through my day trying to get work done with this pOS. I think I'll have some fun with this and Photoshop for my next blog post.
Maybe M$ can "purchase" that line from them and reuse it to re-rebrand a return to the old OS, "Sometimes traditional Windows just makes sense"...?

d

Formfiller

Formfiller

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • Joined 03-January 13

Strategy Analytics: 3 million Windows tablets shipped in Q1 2013 ( NeoWin 2013-04-24 )

... three million Windows-based tablets shipped worldwide in the first quarter of 2013. [...]

... the market share of Windows-based tablets was at 7.5 percent for the quarter. [...]

Apple admitted earlier this week that it shipped 19.5 million iPad units during the first quarter of this year. Strategy Analytics said those numbers were enough for Apple to capture 48.2 percent of the tablet market during the quarter [...]

... there were 17.6 million Android-based tablets shipped during the quarter, which enabled it to claim 43.4 percent of the total market. [...]

Overall tablet shipments reached a record high of 40.6 million units ...

Astonishingly, the MetroTards are rejoicing. No, I am not kidding. Here are the hard facts in the story, Q1 2013 tablets ...
Apple ..... 19.5 million ... 48.2%
Android ... 17.6 million ... 43.4%
Windows .... 3.0 million .... 7.5%

The Windows 8 fans on Channel9 are ecstatic about this too.

http://channel9.msdn...t-share-healthy

http://betanews.com/2013/04/24/surface-sales-soar/

I'm relieved that Windows 8 and Surface are succeeding!

To all those who augured doom for these technologies: you were / are wrong.

Surface-sales-soar link leads to the 7.5% statistic. After the constant 2% of Windows Phone it's kinda understandable though that they get excited even at this.

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,284 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Jerks like this "pjmasi" dingus really [bleep] me off...

Who actually uses the Windows 7 start menu on a regular basis? I'm currently looking at a taskbar of 15 small icons that have been pinned, with room to spare for at least 10 more. Those are the applications I use, and (for me anyway) there's no need to use more than that. Now that I think about it, I seriously can't remember the last time I clicked on "All Programs" or cared what was in it. Windows 8 offers the exact same pinned application usage pattern. What is the big deal here?

The big deal is that fat heads like ^this^ are now in charge. "There's no need to use more than that." Who the [bleep] are YOU to decide how many programs I should be able to efficiently access on MY [bleep]ing computer??? Sheesh...

Have you seen the salad dressing aisle of your local supermarket? Well I think there are TOO MANY damned flavors -- who needs this many choices? I say eliminate all except Ken's, they've got 43 flavors, that should be sufficient to please everyone. Because I say so! And if it's good enough for me then it should be good enough for everyone! And if you still prefer Hidden Valley Ranch and just don't like Ken's, well, you're just being ignorant and resistant to change!

Meanwhile, I saw this commercial and thought it was just brilliant..."Sometimes circles just make sense."
Take a look at the vids in the As Seen on Television section...the woman on the bike with the oval wheels is me bumping through my day trying to get work done with this pOS. I think I'll have some fun with this and Photoshop for my next blog post.
Maybe M$ can "purchase" that line from them and reuse it to re-rebrand a return to the old OS, "Sometimes traditional Windows just makes sense"...?

Good analogies, both of these.

The root of the problem seems to be that Windows 8 was designed (and is defended) by folks who lack the intelligence imagination to realize that other people might prefer to do things differently. (Maybe we can call them cyber-Stalinists.) I raise my hand in response to "pjmasi" to say that I do use the Start Menu regularly to launch programs. I find a cluttered Taskbar to be unsettling. It's much more peaceful for me to have the links tucked away neatly in the Start Menu.

That said, I acknowledge that other people may prefer to fill up their Taskbar with dozens of irritating ;) little icons, and that's OK with me. So long as they don't try to make my own work practices conform to theirs.

--JorgeA

ciHnoN

ciHnoN

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Joined 22-January 13

Donator

Squares... EVERYWHERE. *LOL* Even though most people dislike these squares (tiles) and showing it by NOT buying the Windows Phone and Windows 8 products... they are STILL pushing this thing. Definition of insanity, doing same thing over and over again, expecting different results. Just look at that MESS, looks like a freaking advertisement billboard and imagine many of those are animated too!

http://www.neowin.ne...droid-app-today

Microsoft plans on continuing its campaign against Google by releasing a "Switch to Windows Phone" app for its competitor's Android smartphone operating system.

trolololololololol...

Posted Image

Edited by ciHnoN, 25 April 2013 - 03:51 PM.

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• 2,054 posts
  • Joined 24-September 07

We've been car shopping the last several days. It's extremely useful to be able to set up IE tabs, each with a specs page from one of five different varieties of a model, to do a quick visual comparison to see where exactly the differences in features and options lie. At one point I had three browser windows open side by side. (I do know that there are charts that purport to show these things at a glance with red X's and green checkmarks; but they're never as detailed or complete as the actual specs page, plus they introduce their own confusion with separate lines for items with minor differences and then you have to figure out why all the red X's. No matter how you cut it, it's faster to be able to have multiple tabs or windows open at the same time on the same screen.)

Tabbed windows within a window is very productive ( thank you Opera and Excel ). It is kind of a like Taskbar'd windows in Windows itself, with Alt-Tab as the quick switch mechanism or clicking on the Taskbar buttons for slower navigation.

Long-winded story begins ... Now the Taskbar paradigm is obviously dated exactly to Windows 95, but it's origins go back to many earlier Win3x and pure DOS programs that used tabs within themselves. The true origin, albeit without a GUI tab visual accoutrement, would probably be text editors that had a pseudo-MDI ( multiple document interface ) in the very early 1980's. From a dropdown menu the individual open text files could be accessed, and some editors had keystroke combos to jump between them and if you were really lucky you could reprogram them to something less cumbersome than the programmer duhfaults. So I would always look for this and change them. Net result was the ability to switch between files using CTRL-UP or DOWN very very quickly. This gave the ability of comparison, the so-called A/B switching ( in the Audio or Music biz ) or in Astronomy when they A/B photos to discover Meteors, Comets or the Planet Pluto. Checking for differences between text files was an early predecessor to GUI WinDiff type applications later.

Anyway, I had business reasons way back then to do these kind of things in editors, for example comparing Network or DOS configuration files from different machines, proofreading group edited documents and whatnot. So I always had them customized for CTRL-UP and DOWN or sometimes ALT, depending on the available keyboard. Ever since then I have ported this forward to modern editors, from PFE32 and later to ULTRAEDIT and Visual Studio and other programming IDE's and more. Anyway the reason I am taking this trip down memory lane is that it is extremely useful in browsers, in fact your above stated usage. I know that Opera gives access to customization including keyboard config. I have done what you mentioned ( shopping ) with lots of tabs looking at competing products and can fly through them with CTRL-UP or DOWN ( back or forth through the Z order ). I may be wrong but I would doubt that MSIE exposes the keyboard config, but if it is possible you might enjoy fast keystroke switching within a single window rather than multiple windows using ALT-TAB. :yes:

Or you can dump MSIE in the trash can where it belongs :lol: Actually, I don't know if FF or MSIE let you remap keystrokes or not, I just doubt it in the latter case.

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• 2,054 posts
  • Joined 24-September 07
McAfee patents anti-piracy filter ( TechSpot 2013-04-25 )

Beware, pirates: McAfee plans to detect and block infringing content in the browser ( NeoWin 2013-04-27 )

A recent patent published by McAfee describes what amounts to an anti-piracy system. Titled "Detect and prevent illegal consumption of content on the internet", McAfee's approach would employ a centralized blocklist-style system to issue warnings for -- or entirely block -- links leading to content of questionable legal standing.

Ah, so they patented a blacklist. How original. :blink: Hey, let's open up another failure vector on hapless user PC's. The hilarity will ensue when malware injects *.Microsoft.com into the blacklist, just like the old days with the HOSTS file and software firewalls, or some that removed it from the trusted site zone. :lol: Thanks, but no thanks McAfee ( Intel ). How about you get busy and kick up the specs on these 4th gen i7 processors instead of just screwing around. :yes:

EDIT: added article(s)

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot, 28 April 2013 - 04:24 AM.

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,284 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

McAfee patents anti-piracy filter ( TechSpot 2013-04-25 )

A recent patent published by McAfee describes what amounts to an anti-piracy system. Titled "Detect and prevent illegal consumption of content on the internet", McAfee's approach would employ a centralized blocklist-style system to issue warnings for -- or entirely block -- links leading to content of questionable legal standing.

Ah, so they patented a blacklist. How original. :blink: Hey, let's open up another failure vector on hapless user PC's. The hilarity will ensue when malware injects *.Microsoft.com into the blacklist, just like the old days with the HOSTS file and software firewalls, or some that removed it from the trusted site zone. :lol: Thanks, but no thanks McAfee ( Intel ). How about you get busy and kick up the specs on these 4th gen i7 processors instead of just screwing around. :yes:

LOL

But more seriously -- wonderful, here's a security suite feature that protects, not the user from outside parties, but outside parties from the user.

And given the blocking aspect, it's not hard to imagine how repressive states like China or Iran could put this technology to use on their subject peoples. :rolleyes:

--JorgeA

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,284 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Tabbed windows within a window is very productive ( thank you Opera and Excel ). It is kind of a like Taskbar'd windows in Windows itself, with Alt-Tab as the quick switch mechanism or clicking on the Taskbar buttons for slower navigation.

Long-winded story begins ... Now the Taskbar paradigm is obviously dated exactly to Windows 95, but it's origins go back to many earlier Win3x and pure DOS programs that used tabs within themselves. The true origin, albeit without a GUI tab visual accoutrement, would probably be text editors that had a pseudo-MDI ( multiple document interface ) in the very early 1980's. From a dropdown menu the individual open text files could be accessed, and some editors had keystroke combos to jump between them and if you were really lucky you could reprogram them to something less cumbersome than the programmer duhfaults. So I would always look for this and change them. Net result was the ability to switch between files using CTRL-UP or DOWN very very quickly. This gave the ability of comparison, the so-called A/B switching ( in the Audio or Music biz ) or in Astronomy when they A/B photos to discover Meteors, Comets or the Planet Pluto. Checking for differences between text files was an early predecessor to GUI WinDiff type applications later.

Anyway, I had business reasons way back then to do these kind of things in editors, for example comparing Network or DOS configuration files from different machines, proofreading group edited documents and whatnot. So I always had them customized for CTRL-UP and DOWN or sometimes ALT, depending on the available keyboard. Ever since then I have ported this forward to modern editors, from PFE32 and later to ULTRAEDIT and Visual Studio and other programming IDE's and more. Anyway the reason I am taking this trip down memory lane is that it is extremely useful in browsers, in fact your above stated usage. I know that Opera gives access to customization including keyboard config. I have done what you mentioned ( shopping ) with lots of tabs looking at competing products and can fly through them with CTRL-UP or DOWN ( back or forth through the Z order ). I may be wrong but I would doubt that MSIE exposes the keyboard config, but if it is possible you might enjoy fast keystroke switching within a single window rather than multiple windows using ALT-TAB. :yes:

Or you can dump MSIE in the trash can where it belongs :lol: Actually, I don't know if FF or MSIE let you remap keystrokes or not, I just doubt it in the latter case.

That was very interesting background, thanks!

Re: browsers. I was warming up to Firefox until they started messing around with the interface and removed most of the visible controls (after version 3, IIRC). I stayed on version 3 until my Norton 360 stopped supporting it and I had to choose between a useful interface and N360's protections. Since then, I use FF maybe once every other month. Plus, I wish they'd stop issuing new FF versions 15 times a day already... (At least, that's what it feels like.)

It IS a nice option to be able to go directly from one tab to another using keyboard commands. In a tabbed IE window, I can use Ctrl+Tab and Ctr+Shift+Tab to go back and forth, although that last combination starts getting physically awkward and I find it easier to use the mouse to click on the desired tab. (Do these keystrokes work in Metro IE10? I can't remember. But in any case, in Metro IE you don't have the tab/window labels constantly visible, so you have to guess or remember which one comes next.)

--JorgeA

ciHnoN

ciHnoN

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Joined 22-January 13

Donator

Nothing beats... drum roll... OPERA. :D ... at least for now. Not sure how using webkit will turn out but in terms of GUI customization, cookie handling, xml feeds, password manager, bookmarks... it simply is the best. I need to separate some cookie accounts so I got FF installed lately for some few specific sites and FF is just horrible compared to Opera in terms of GUI, download manager... everything about it just annoys me and feels so 90s.

Bear in mind, I was a HUGE fan of IE for years... tried Opera 3 times... to actually "understand" it... now I cannot think of any other browser to use. Ever. :) :thumbup

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 6,128 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

Windows Blue won't solve all Microsoft's problems, analysts say
http://www.computerw...25&pageNumber=2

"Windows 8 sucks because Windows 8 apps suck," said Cherry, not mincing words. "And there's nothing in all these rumors of Windows Blue or Windows 8.1 that tells me that apps will be easier to write or that will result in better apps."

Posted Image

bphlpt

bphlpt

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  • Joined 12-May 07

It IS a nice option to be able to go directly from one tab to another using keyboard commands. In a tabbed IE window, I can use Ctrl+Tab and Ctr+Shift+Tab to go back and forth, although that last combination starts getting physically awkward and I find it easier to use the mouse to click on the desired tab. (Do these keystrokes work in Metro IE10?

I don't know about Metro IE10, but those same Ctrl+Tab and Ctr+Shift+Tab commands to cycle from Tab to Tab work on SRWare Iron, my browser of choice, which is a version of Chrome. At least they work on Win7, my OS of choice.

Cheers and Regards

Posted Image

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• 2,054 posts
  • Joined 24-September 07

But more seriously -- wonderful, here's a security suite feature that protects, not the user from outside parties, but outside parties from the user.

And given the blocking aspect, it's not hard to imagine how repressive states like China or Iran could put this technology to use on their subject peoples. :rolleyes:

Bravo! You said it way better than I did. :thumbup McAfee/Intel trying to invert the security paradigm ( and really all of Big Technology and the BSA and the Hollywood Mafia would support this ) the same way that Microsoft is trying to invert the user experience.

It IS a nice option to be able to go directly from one tab to another using keyboard commands. In a tabbed IE window, I can use Ctrl+Tab and Ctr+Shift+Tab to go back and forth, although that last combination starts getting physically awkward and I find it easier to use the mouse to click on the desired tab. (Do these keystrokes work in Metro IE10? I can't remember. But in any case, in Metro IE you don't have the tab/window labels constantly visible, so you have to guess or remember which one comes next.)

You just reminded me why I can't stand the tabbing in MSIE and others. As a lefty the CTRL-TAB is difficult for me because my main hand is always on a mouse or trackball. So by remapping to CTRL-UP/DOWN I can use my right-hand for fast tab switching while keeping the mouse available for scrollbar area clicking for vertical syncing of the content of each page in a tab ( getting them lined up is crucial to fast comparing alike page formats or text files or photographs or ... ).

Nothing beats... drum roll... OPERA. :D ... at least for now. Not sure how using webkit will turn out but in terms of GUI customization, cookie handling, xml feeds, password manager, bookmarks... it simply is the best. I need to separate some cookie accounts so I got FF installed lately for some few specific sites and FF is just horrible compared to Opera in terms of GUI, download manager... everything about it just annoys me and feels so 90s.

Ah, there is a good solution for your cookie segregation problem. Opera allows multiple versions to co-exist with each maintaining their own settings as they use discrete INI-type files. In fact I have been able to do this pretty much non-stop since Opera 2. Porting between computers is a simple matter of copying the folder structure ( with hiccups in some versions that put shared application settings in the user profile structure and/or if you allowed the installer to pick its own location ). I get around this by keeping everything under a longtime single folder structure ...

C:\Winapps\Opera\02
C:\Winapps\Opera\03
[...]
C:\Winapps\Opera\11
C:\Winapps\Opera\12

... and within them many different builds of course. Then it is a simple matter of separate shortcuts. Alternatively you can just use different Windows user accounts and install Opera NOT using the "everyone" option, but that means logging out to change.

Anyway, the cookies are kept in a DAT file ( still an INI type ) which means another possibility is keeping separate files there, but it is cumbersome. But I have to mention that Opera has been carrying along many bugs for years and they appear no better than Microsoft for listening to users. The cookie manager sucks bad. Just clean up your cookies, then close the manager and re-open it and more magically appear which were previously existing in the DAT but not loaded into the GUI. It takes multiple passes to clean them up. Also, there is no way to protect individual cookies ( perhaps it could use a 2nd file for those that we flag as keepers ) so while I want to keep the settings in perhaps 20 cookies and delete the other 500, it cannot be done except for painstakingly wandering through the list. ~sigh~

Speaking of Opera bugs, I just fell into another one again. I couldn't remember the version I am on at the moment so I did Help > About. Naturally, after all these years that dialog still loads into _self and blows away the current tab and then I idi0tically closed the tab and threw out all the typing in this box with no chance for recovery. That is one of the older bugs that was reported and still it is there. What will webkit bring us? I don't know.

EDIT: typo

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot, 27 April 2013 - 07:07 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users