Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Windows 8 - Deeper Impressions

• Please log in to reply
6087 replies to this topic

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,474 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

Fine example of NeoWin spin. As Windows XP leaves "support" ( yeah, as if Microsoft "supports" anything ) thanks to all the FUD about not being safe and protected under Microsoft's warm embrace naturally they are looking to do something. Well it seems to me that the headline should say International Space Station dumps Microsoft for Linux. Right? Apparently they are choosing Linux over Microsoft's dead dog so the headline could also read: International Space Station chooses Linux over Windows 8. :yes:

Well, with all due respect :) , besides the fact that Windows XP didn't make sense (as OS on laptops - or whatever - on the International Space Station) even when it was supported by MS, the only meaningful updates to XP are or could be "security patches" and particularly those preventing "remote code execution" and similar.

Now I would think that the good NASA guys (or whomever is the International Space Station ISP ;)) have some "sound and solid" firewall/filtering and that astronauts don't do much browsing/searching for p0rn, warez and similar possibly "insecure" sites.... :unsure:

As well I don' think the good NASA guys ever used Excel to calculate vectors and routes....
http://ta.twi.tudelf.../disasters.html
...and certainly never multiplied 850 by 77.1:
http://www.theregist...excel_2007_bug/
BTW, in that occasion (strangely :whistle:) the good MS guys misrepresented the bug:
http://www.msfn.org/...culation-error/

jaclaz

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,291 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05
Chipping in again...

re - the "Cloud" (Adobe)
As was stated, Internet sux in US/AU/Canada per speed. You could have a SuperComputer but the transfer speed would not change one whit. Good luck with that.

re - "Maintenance Costs" for "obsolete OS"
Disagree, because I was in Maintenance on Mainframe (so-called "Legacy" Applications) support. It usually was VERY expensive to produce the Documentation (Flowcharts, Pseudo-code, User Manuals, DB Normalization, etc) and the actual Application (including App Interfaces) not to mention the TIME to produce it (sometime several years) for a TEAM when, after Implementation, a "bug" found usually took about 2 hrs to "fix" and in many cases no more than an hour to implement said fix by a SINGLE PERSON. Fact! So SOMEONE is severely misguided in their analysis of Reality.

These "business decisions" (IMHO) are not rational nor are the "opinions" of the "Root for the new".

OT (but an analogy) -
Anyone consider the difference between working on, say, a (Chevrolet) 1967 Camaro and a 2013 Camaro? Try it sometime - the time and expense of the "repair" is VASTLY different. ;) In addition, try grinding the metal of both for an autobody repair - the difference is ASTOUNDING (one's metal warps - guess which one). :w00t:

edit -
In response to Jaclaz' comments above...
Ummm. I personally "reworked" several Applications to conform to the latest Compilers AND streamlined (practically rewrote) one within six months. (Air Force Materiel Command, for the HQ of ALL of the USAF). In addition, it was ALSO in alignment with NEW hardware. I call "Baloney", because it CAN be done! Trading a SINGLE experienced Programmer for two INEXPERIENCED ones for the sake of "cost" is (in the long run) a bad trade!

Edited by submix8c, 10 May 2013 - 09:19 AM.

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

JorgeA

JorgeA

FORMAT B: /V /S

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,169 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10
PCs aren't dead, they're microwaves

I'm not sure if we linked to this piece already, but I wanted to comment on something in it.

An overwhelming amount of words have been spilled about Windows 8, and a lot of those words have been negative. I don't have much to add, but I will say this: I think Windows 8's poor showing is a result of slowing overall PC sales, not the other way around. (Apple had a down quarter too, let's not forget.) If you need a new PC, then you need a new PC. That's a bottom-line reality of appliance purchasing.

That said, all the criticism focused on the modern UI could be pushing legions of would-be buyers into the “let’s wait one more year” camp, which, as we’ve already discussed, could devastate yearly PC sales. Few people yearn to update their appliances as it is

Aside from the empirical aspect suggesting that Windows 8 has actually deepened the PC sales slump, there's the following conceptual angle:

The idea is that PCs are becoming like "appliances." Now, what's the distinguishing characteristic of an appliance? That it has a simple interface so that (the thinking goes) as many people as possible can use it.

With its Modern UI featuring big single-color tiles and low information density per screenful, Windows 8 advances the process of converting PCs into appliances. Thus, if being an appliance is a problem in terms of creating excitement and stimulating PC sales, then the problem is exacerbated, not mitigated, by Windows 8.

IMO the PC's complexity is an asset and not a liability. It is a source of wonderment. I suggest that the mystique of the computer -- with its arcane jargon, its maze of directories and subdirectories, its seemingly magical workings -- is precisely one of the biggest reasons for its success. The PC captured the public's imagination. Remove from view that mystique, that intriguing complexity, and then truly it becomes a ho-hum device worthy of no more thought than the microwave oven sitting on your kitchen counter.

PC users deserve more credit than they get from industry executives and commentators. We are not repelled by complexity, we are attracted to it. Sure, there will always be people who feel deterred by the existence of any learning curve at all, but I contend that if PCs had been from the start as simple and closed as some want to make them, then today they would remain a limited, niche product because nobody would have had any interest in exploring them. How many people make it their avocation (let alone their vocation) to plumb the depths of toasters or DVRs? It's the tinkering, the exploration, that leads to discovery and to the cross-pollination of ideas which fuels development. Remove that source of endless fascination, and over time the evolution of computing will slow down to a crawl and ultimately come to a halt.

The optimal model for maximizing computer sales in the long run might be a PC that the user may choose, at will, to approach as either a simple device or as the intricate apparatus that it really is. Those with simple needs can live in a tablet environment, while those who prefer to dig deeper can live in a desktop and file system without ever touching the tablet interface or being touched by it.

I pray to the MS gods that they hear my plea.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA, 10 May 2013 - 11:06 AM.

Formfiller

Formfiller

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • Joined 03-January 13
Here are those crazy Windows 8 ads that got pulled by Microsoft, in full:

http://channel9.msdn...offeehouse/WTF-

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,474 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

edit -
In response to Jaclaz' comments above...
Ummm. I personally "reworked" several Applications to conform to the latest Compilers AND streamlined (practically rewrote) one within six months. (Air Force Materiel Command, for the HQ of ALL of the USAF). In addition, it was ALSO in alignment with NEW hardware. I call "Baloney", because it CAN be done! Trading a SINGLE experienced Programmer for two INEXPERIENCED ones for the sake of "cost" is (in the long run) a bad trade!

Well, I don' t see any possible way in which that can be a response connected to my previous post.

Three clear statements:
  • there is no need to update or "mantain" XP (actually there is no real *need* to update XP since SP2 if not for security reasons, and for security related to connection to the internet or to an insecure LAN) (see note below)
  • NASA or the agency managing the International Space Station (hopefully) provides (on Earth) a well secured system (IF they provide Internet access to the astronauts :unsure:)
  • NASA or the agency managing the International Space Station (hopefully) does not use Excel to calculate trajectories

How good you are at programming :thumbup , how smart :) or dumb :w00t: the USAF may be in using NT based systems (supported or unsupported) for the *whatever* they use them, the whatever changes in compilers, have NOTHING to do with my post.

Note:
Hey people, remember that when we talk of XP, we talk of a system that (with it's defects and "quirks") has been working for many years in the very large majority of PC's on Earth.
http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Windows_XP
Service Pack 1 was a "needed" bugfix on September 2002
Service Pack 2 was mainly an "added features" on August 2004 (and contains lots of "security" related fixes)
Service Pack 3 was almost totally "security related" in April 2008

At least since Service Pack 1 Windows XP has worked.
I am running a SP2 XP, with NO issues whatsoever.

For all it matters, once excluded the "security related" fixes, and updates directly or indirectly connected to the changes in the Internet, (i.e. as an example a PC NOT connected in a LAN and/or the 'net) and/or the *need* to use the latest software, any SP level XP normally does what is supposed to do, it's not like for 2 years between 2002 and 2004 and for 4 more years between 2004 and 2008 everything stopped working and humans reverted to living in caves due to the failure of computing technology.
Every office in the world continued using their PC's to do what they had done before, actually if there were issues, there were initially with SP3....

Strangely enough humanity survived even without latest Service Pack, and without *essential* features like UAC and DEP (and Silverlight ;)) .
(and BTW before that we managed to live without WFP and plug 'n play)

jaclaz

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,054 posts
  • Joined 24-September 07

With its Modern UI featuring big single-color tiles and low information density per screenful, Windows 8 advances the process of converting PCs into appliances. Thus, if being an appliance is a problem in terms of creating excitement and stimulating PC sales, then the problem is exacerbated, not mitigated, by Windows 8.

Agreed, cash register appliances as in point of sale, plugged right into every individual wallet. What is astounding is that this is as old as dirt. Even the touchscreen aspect of POS is old news. When you look at it this way there is nothing new here except for one thing - that Microsoft has hatched a scheme to monetize their x86 "user base", the one they believe are leaving them anyway ( incorrectly though, because people buying tablets and small form factors to replace or supplement the workstation they have is not the end of the x86 home PC ) and turn them into cash cows and golden geese in their walled garden. When we first talked about this scenario two thousand posts and almost a year ago it may have sounded conspiratorial, but I ask if anyone has anymore doubts now? The x86 PC, largely thanks to the clones due to the reverse engineered BIOS and freewheeling independent developers made this universe what it is ( and ironically made Microsoft rich in the process ). Microsoft believes that party is over and is going all in to kidnap as many of the 1.something billion users they call their own ( which is insulting because we are not theirs, they just think so, imagine the arrogance to consider those computers part of their empire when only a small handful were actually manufactured by Microsoft, unlike Apple. This is really the story in a nutshell. There should not be a single x86 developer that does not get this, the few that are throwing in with Microsoft just think they can make a few bucks. all the rest are considered scabs.

IMO the PC's complexity is an asset and not a liability. It is a source of wonderment. I suggest that the mystique of the computer -- with its arcane jargon, its maze of directories and subdirectories, its seemingly magical workings -- is precisely one of the biggest reasons for its success. The PC captured the public's imagination. Remove from view that mystique, that intriguing complexity, and then truly it becomes a ho-hum device worthy of no more thought than the microwave oven sitting on your kitchen counter.

PC users deserve more credit than they get from industry executives and commentators. We are not repelled by complexity, we are attracted to it.

You have accurately summed up the feeling in 1981 when IBM announced their platform and the race to collect 5.25" floppy disks full of an infinite variety of software began. They really could have accurately called it the Personal Workstation because that is what it really was, and has remained up until Microsoft sentenced it to death. All one has to do is put all the clues together, Microsoft Tiles, cloud, subscriptions, no install media, ... ad nauseum. All the while they are sugar coating each gulp of their medicine with marketdroid propaganda and Wall Street weasel words. People better start connecting the dots before they wake up and find a new world re-imagined by NuMicrosoft.

Microsoft to web developers: "For everything you've done, thank you" ( NeoWin 2013-05-10 )

The only people they really should be thanking are those scabs that they despise so much, the independent x86 often-anonymous software authors who are responsible for the interest in their buggy and slow-crawling operating system. Thanking the web-slingers? :no:

... Let him who hath understanding reckon the Number Of The Beast ...

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• 2,054 posts
  • Joined 24-September 07

Here are those crazy Windows 8 ads that got pulled by Microsoft, in full:

http://channel9.msdn...offeehouse/WTF-

And some people dutifully cheer even these! I like how at the NeoWin thread yesterday they are arguing whether the language was Japanese, Chinese or Korean too. They finally settled upon a slightly insulting "They're for Asians" phrasing :lol: I don't know any of those languages myself, but you would think that there might be an overlay specifying the target market or something.

Microsoft's Windows 8 Commercials for Asia Are Awesome ( Tom's Hardware 2013-05-10 )

I don't know what this author is smoking! An interesting little tidbit though ...

The Verge cites a Microsoft spokesperson who says the three commercials below were produced for Microsoft's Asian markets and posted to the company's general channel by mistake.

Some mistake. Imagine the Softie that uploaded them: "Oh Crap! I posted them to the wrong part of the planet!" :lol: Lots of amateur mistakes happening up there these days so it's par for the course.

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• 2,054 posts
  • Joined 24-September 07
1stFone, the mobile phone designed for 4-year-olds ( NeoWin 2013-05-10 )

Posted Image

Oh I won't say anything except that these things just write themsleves. :yes:

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• 2,054 posts
  • Joined 24-September 07
EDIT: Another double post! MSFN driver error again. Deleted.

Here's a random substitute picture I made that I don't think was used yet ...

Posted Image

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot, 11 May 2013 - 04:37 AM.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,474 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04
I would dare to say that the images on the original john's phone are slightly more understandable for a child than the printout:
  • On - Off End call
  • Answer

http://johnsphones.org/

There are by now what, tens of "simplified phones" around, not really a "new idea".

Wait, but those have all the figures from 0 to 9 (very difficult for a child that can easily fix your dvd recorder, set your radio alarm clock, and reset your smartphone - all without reading instructions - in under two minutes :rolleyes: )

This is better:
http://cnipopman.en....Cell-Phone.html
though it has icons for headset on and off hook, that a child cannot understand and numbers from 1 to 4 :ph34r:

This is better:
http://cnipopman.en....PS-Tracker.html

And this is even better:
http://www.dhgate.co...e392a437d1.html
Posted Image

our good Chinese friends - having a few thousands years of cultural background and some experience with ideograms, clearly much more cleverly thinking than the UK buffoons that "invented" the ownphone, hypothized that a kid would likely want to call (or actually be allowed to call):
  • Mom
  • Dad
  • Home
  • School
  • SOS
and risked to pre-print those along with nice sketches of the words.

And once again, we have proof that the Simon like interface and colours are aimed to kids ;).

jaclaz

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,291 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05
:wacko: (must have lost track...) This

the only meaningful updates to XP are or could be "security patches"

got mixed in with the Maintenance thingy (from an earlier post about costs). The point is the good MS guys are reinventing a perfectly good wheel instead of giving it a real nice major update (under a new name, of course). Yank the 1967 Camaro engine, punch it out, rebuild, add headers and a double-pump Holley, major customize the doghouse and rear end - voila! "New Car" of higher quality and cheaper than New Car.

Again OT - that was Mainframe Compilers=Cobol, Fortran, PL/I, RPG, Assembler (etc.)

Posted Image

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• 2,054 posts
  • Joined 24-September 07
@FormFiller ...

I read through the There is no end-of-life XP problem, wow, just wow.

So what does that crazy evil Softie mean by: "They did. It was XP SP4. Also, it wasn't $30, it was free."? I must have missed that one :lol:

And I should mention that he has inadvertently pointed out another crime Microsoft continually gets away with: "And motor vehicle companies continue to pump out new versions of cars and eventually stop supporting old vehicles.". Ummm, that is certainly not true, his analogy is FUBAR. Cars are recalled all the time long out of warranty for manufacturing flaws and defective parts. That's the analogy he ignores ...

Toyota Joins Honda, Nissan in Car Recall on Airbag Fault ( Bloomberg 2013-04-13 )

Takata Corp. (7312) faces its biggest recall crisis in almost two decades after defective airbag inflators led Toyota Motor Corp. (7203), Honda Motor Co. (7267) and Nissan Motor Co. to call back more than 3 million vehicles.

The Japanese safety-gear producer made the products from 2000 to 2002, Takata spokesman Hideyuki Matsumoto said, declining to comment on its customers, who identified the supplier. According to Toyota, malfunctioning inflators could cause the airbag to deploy abnormally during a crash.

Note the timeframe, preceding the Windows XP RTM.

Microsoft, thanks to it's lobbying, has gotten off incredibly easy over the years. Leaving innumerable bugs in Windows ignored, and with security flaws discovered weekly they go on about their merry way and cheerleaders like that thick-headed Softie keep twirling their batons. God help them if the FTC and other alphabet agencies ever wake up and apply the same standards on them that they use for almost everyone else. :yes:

EDIT: typo

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot, 11 May 2013 - 10:27 AM.

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,291 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05
Shouldn't speak too much of automobiles. Try getting a replacement head or quarter panel for any Ford product older than 1990. "Out of stock" - the Repair Person (me) supports it but the Company does not. Aftermarket MAYBE. ;) The statement as given is true...

(Guess I should have mentioned I'm a jackwagon of all trades.)

Posted Image

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,169 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

PC Makers Hopeful on Windows 8 Changes ( Wall Street Journal 2013-05-09 )

According to Wang, it’s a transitional period for Microsoft – a company that was once considered to “live in heaven.” With the update, Wang said Microsoft is coming back down to earth after learning how people living on earth think.

Man, these two Acer honchos Wang and Wong ( no I'm serious, Chairman Wang and President Wong )

I just had to laugh! :lol: Sounds like the names of the bad guys in some martial arts B-movie...

From the blog post, a dose of reality:

When we were talking to Microsoft, our input to them is balance,” said Acer President Jim Wong. “The world in the next five years is not going 100 percent to touch. Although touch makes a lot of possibilities for PCs, you need to take care of the rest of the world that doesn’t need touch.”

[emphasis added]

This should the the lock screen on Tami R.'s and Steve B.'s Windows 8 PCs.

JorgeA

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• 2,054 posts
  • Joined 24-September 07

The statement as given is true...

well, there are several meanings for "support " used in these Windows conversations. The Softie that Formfiller is sparring with, and Microsoft itself push the illusion that they are little worker bees toiling away each day keeping Windows going, and without them it would grind to a halt. Me, I think they support squat, spend all their time spreading FUD about threats and responding to theoretical exploits which keeps them busy and the customers placated.

The quoted Softie used the word "support" in the sentence: "And motor vehicle companies continue to pump out new versions of cars and eventually stop supporting old vehicles" and I think this is FUBAR because auto companies never "supported" the car in the first place. He goes on and on with this myth implying that Microsoft is different: "Microsoft already has a vastly longer service agreement for Windows than any other product on the market." and also: "Microsoft is alone in the market for supporting Windows XP for 10 years.". Windows XP is NOT running on a bunch of my computers because of anything Microsoft has done. It is running despite everything they have done.

But the analogy clearly falls apart because the car makers certainly are responsible for their mistakes and have authorized reps and service centers all over the place. Microsoft has cleverly offloaded all her responsibility to everyone except themselves: the vast unpaid non-Microsoft user base fixing each others computers and the huge assortment of forums like this. Phone calls go to the OEM system manufacturers ( some racket that monopoly is, get the OEMs to install Windows at the factory and then also field the irate phone calls ). For those remainders that try to go to Microsoft they get someone in India. Quite a scam really.

Anyway, that's why I think his auto analogy is ridiculous, because they're mostly opposite. I do like auto analogies in general because almost everybody can relate to them and many are perfectly adequate. In this case I wish it were true because if Microsoft cared about customers no matter how small ( and they don't ) they wouldn't require government urging or peer pressure or criticism or bad press to shake a leg and fix bugs regardless of age of the operating system or size of user base. They would do it because it is the right thing to do. They would do it because ( cue Godfather II ) "this is the business they've chosen" i.e., Operating Systems, a fundamental piece of the technology. Unfortunately they want to just reap the rewards of a monopoly and do as little as possible. And since we know full well that they are using planned obsolescence, meaning they are NOT fixing previous versions in order to make you upgrade it is borderline evil. Imagine Toyota saying "Sorry, that airbag might malfunction, time to get a new car". Now that auto analogy is apples to apples IMHO.

I'm not kidding when I suggest that the x86 operating systems should now be taken out of their hands and all related patents rescinded. All the backroom deals that led to this situation of installing their stuff on 3rd party computers should be exposed and any collusion should be prosecuted, particularly cases where hardware drivers became obsolete from version to version. Governments have a cow when sports teams collude to limit salaries or any number of things, and they go nuts if players take steroids. Yet here we have software that makes over a billion computers work or lie still, and they rigged it so there is no choice but to upgrade. It is very ugly. Drastic action would send a clear message that huge outfits like Microsoft, Apple, Google, Amazon, Facebook ( ... ) that corner a market better behave and do the right thing or there will be consequences.

EDIT: typo

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot, 26 May 2013 - 09:22 AM.

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• 2,054 posts
  • Joined 24-September 07
Microsoft: Subscription-only apps? Not for us, yet. Give it a decade or so, then we'll talk ( UK Register 2013-05-08 )

Coke? Windows 8 is Microsoft's 'Vista moment'. Again. PCs built for people not designed by data ( UK Register 2013-05-08 )

Microsoft honcho pleads with media: 'Stop picking on us!'. 'Windows 8 is a good product ... really!' ( UK Register 2013-05-10 )

Last three articles at El Reg. Really loving that website these days. :yes:

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,169 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

1stFone, the mobile phone designed for 4-year-olds ( NeoWin 2013-05-10 )

Posted Image

Oh I won't say anything except that these things just write themsleves. :yes:

Finally, a cell phone that I can figure out!!!

We have a pair of phones from about ten years ago. It has actual keys/buttons to press, rather than a touch screen. Trouble is, instead of words to indicate their function, the buttons have meaningless hieroglyphs on them (hockey-stick lines in differing colors :huh: ). This is probably for international marketing reasons, but that only means that EVEN MORE people can't figure out what the buttons do! I can't tell you how many calls I've messed up or missed completely because in a pinch (as the phone's ringing) I can't remember and can't figure out which button to press to do what.

Maybe I should look into getting one of those ownfones for myself.

How about a pair of buttons clearly labeled, PICK UP and HANG UP. Or, for the benefit of those who never knew what "picking/hanging up" a telephone receiver meant, maybe they could say START CALL and DISCONNECT. Ya think I could patent that idea? So many other idiotically simple notions seem to be patentable, and I don't recall seeing any cellphone maker actually using the concept. (That's not to say they haven't used it.)

Or instead of START CALL, we could put a Windows Start Button on it ;) , people still know what it does and it's Microsoft abandonware.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA, 11 May 2013 - 12:44 PM.

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,169 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Here's a random substitute picture I made that I don't think was used yet ...

Posted Image

That is fabulous!!! Posted Image

I can picture the plot line: the terrorist just barely gets away because...

--JorgeA

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,169 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Microsoft: Subscription-only apps? Not for us, yet. Give it a decade or so, then we'll talk ( UK Register 2013-05-08 )

Coke? Windows 8 is Microsoft's 'Vista moment'. Again. PCs built for people not designed by data ( UK Register 2013-05-08 )

Microsoft honcho pleads with media: 'Stop picking on us!'. 'Windows 8 is a good product ... really!' ( UK Register 2013-05-10 )

Last three articles at El Reg. Really loving that website these days. :yes:

The second page of the middle article has some great stuff on it:

But the former Windows chief's [Sinofsky's] problem - which ultimately became Microsoft and Windows 8's problem, was that he emphasised process over people. He built a version of Windows based on data and theory without actually understanding how people used Windows. It was no wonder people got confused and we have arrived at where we are today.

Also, Windows 8 wasn't supposed to simply match the numbers of Windows 7, it was supposed to address a bigger opportunity than just PCs: it was supposed to cover PCs, hybrid PCs and tablets and any other touchable Windows device.

Thurrot says: “This figure should be considered a minimum for Windows 8 to be successful. Arguably, it should be much higher, especially considering the growth rate in the tablet market in particular. 16.7 million per month, let alone 13.3 million, just isn’t cutting it."

"While some consumers appreciate the new form factors and touch capabilities of Windows 8, the radical changes to the user interface, removal of the familiar Start button, and the costs associated with touch have made PCs a less attractive alternative to dedicated tablets and other competitive devices. Microsoft will have to make some very tough decisions moving forward if it wants to help reinvigorate the PC market," IDC said.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA, 11 May 2013 - 12:44 PM.

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,169 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10
Wandering through the Register's site after checking out @Charlotte's links, I found these articles that show that even the Linux world is getting infected by the invasive bug:

Canonical bungs kill switch onto Ubuntu's Amazon 'adware'

Fans revolt over Amazon 'adware' in Ubuntu desktop search results

Wow, not even Microsoft has dared to insert products for sale into our desktop search results, or to route searches of our desktops through their servers.

With its gaudy Unity interface, Ubuntu was already off my list of candidates for a Windows replacement OS. This ensures that it will stay off the list.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA, 11 May 2013 - 01:05 PM.

dencorso

dencorso

Adiuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 5,889 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

You want linux, this is the way to go:

Posted Image

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• 2,054 posts
  • Joined 24-September 07
Recall the earlier story ...

Two Windows 8 Start menu apps bring in 8 million total downloads ( NeoWin 2013-05-08 )

They have added another ...

Classic Shell sees 4.3 million downloads since Windows 8 launch ( NeoWin 2013-05-11 )

The program has seen its download numbers skyrocket since the official launch of Windows 8 in October 2012. Classic Shell is officially available only on the SourceForge website, and according to their own statistics, it has generated over 4.3 million downloads since the Windows 8 launch, for a total of over 6.1 million downloads. In fact, the month of April saw the biggest numbers yet for Classic Shell, with over 1.1 million downloads.

Neowin will have an interview with Beltchev soon about Classic Shell, Windows 8 and his future plans for the program.

Unsurprisingly, NeoWhiners who choose to believe Microsoft statistics suddenly become skeptical. :lol:

Microsoft reveals that Windows Phone only has 145,000 apps, growth starts to slow ( NeoWin 2013-05-11 )

Between November 2011 and October 2012, growth in the Windows Phone marketplace was quick, with 7,300 apps being added per month. More recently, however, that figure has dropped to just 2,800 apps per month. This could be down to developer disinterest as Windows Phone devices struggle to get a foothold in America.

I wonder how long before the Windows Phone division revolts over their thunder and user interface being stolen by the Windows gang. All of the oxygen was sucked out the room leaving them seemingly floundering. Perhaps the ensuing internal civil war will leave some heads on pikes.

Microsoft critical of city of Boston's switch to Google Apps ( NeoWin 2013-05-11 )

... it was revealed that the main factor in the decision was financial. While it will take about $800,000 to move the government's systems from Microsoft Exchange to Google Apps, the city of Boston believes it will actually save them at least $280,000 a year.

Comments can be summarized as either "Google Sucks" or "Money isn't everything."

Carl Icahn would like to merge HP and Dell; thinks PC industry is 'going downhill' ( NeoWin 2013-05-11 )

Heck, why not. We're left with three HDD manufacturers after all their mergers. If this rumor has any shred of truth to it we just might see Microsoft make one of their patented kneejerk reactions and try to buy Dell or HP themselves. Something tells me that the industry is not going to be recognizable in a couple of years.

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• 2,054 posts
  • Joined 24-September 07
Didn't want to let this one pass us by uncriticized. This Thurrott post was inspired by that Julie interview a few days back.

(Re)Start Me Up: The Great Windows 8 Debate ( Thurrott 2013-05-09 )

SubTitle: Everyone has an opinion about the “missing” Start menu and Start button in Windows 8. Here’s mine

Microsoft was correct to remove the Start button and the Start menu from Windows 8

[...]

The Start menu is not coming back, nor should it.

Ah, what a fine little dictator you would make. Off your meds again? :yes: Anyway Paul, here's what you just said: "The Start Menu should not be present on people's personal computers". You would say that because you are under the mistaken impression that these are Microsoft's computers, like Macs are Apple computers. But you're wrong. These are not Microsoft's computers. They never were. Ever. No-one gets to tell them what to put on their personal computers.

The new Start screen is a superior app launcher...

Wrong! The best app launcher is whatever works best at a particular moment in time according to the human being using the computer, not some dimwitted valley girl in Redmond or a shill blogger.

...and if you’re tied to the desktop, you should be using taskbar application and web site pinning anyway … as you should be doing in Windows 7.

As we should be doing? :blink: Who the he!! are you to say that? Using any of the four standard launchers: Start Menu, Quicklaunch, Desktop, Taskbar, depends entirely on the situation. There are fine reasons for each. Personally I have always used the Start Menu as a fallback, a constant, a permanent source for links and shortcuts not found anywhere else. The desktop is designed for and perfectly suited for current jobs, especially on large monitors where quasi-groups of related things are mingled and later deleted when complete. The Superbar-Taskbar launching is redundant but is very handy for commonly launched apps. Quicklaunch gets the most use because it is simultaneously both a launcher and as targets for dropped files and folders. Only complete n00bs would try to uninvent these long-time practices. Only an authoritarian psychopath would try to dictate to others how to work on their computers. Only a certifiable shill would back Microsoft in their insanity.

...Here, there is no meaningful loss of functionality in Windows 8 at all: Application launching works as before (taskbar)

That is perhaps the lamest of all fanboy lines. One thing Microsoft did was attack the aestetics which is none of their business in the first place. Who do they think they are trying to pick out out the "themes" that people use on their computers? Killing Aero glass and flattening the GUI and removing chrome and shadows and soft geometry was a blatant insult to those that care about visuals. When your wife drives home the new hot pink family automobile she bought and tells you 'there is no loss of functionality!..." you will finally figure out the problem. Or maybe not, because I suspect she picks out your clothes for you too, am I right? Well if she doesn't, would you let her?

Application launching only works the same as before in those places that Microsoft didn't remove them. Oh sure, they kept the 6-year old Taskbar pinning but removed the 17-year old Start Menu and still you feign disbelief at the controversy? Clueless Knucklehead. Now about that pinning. Having numerous things pinned to the Taskbar as shortcuts quickly gets unwieldy because of its primary jobs of being a "Taskbar" showing running apps, and each subsequent running app results in smaller Taskbar buttons and eventually you cannot distinguish running programs from unlaunched icons. Yes, that's very helpful. And then there's the obvious problem of running out of space. I guess this is what Thurrott and other Microsoft sycophants envision for power users that do more than Angry Birds and Twitter ...

Posted Image
( original source )

...and the other Windows 7-era Start menu functions are all in better and more consistent places. Done.

Certainly not. One thing you can say about the Start Menu ( circa WinXP ) is that everything was at your fingertips and one click away ...

Posted Image

My gut feeling is that bringing back a Start button is also unnecessary, and unlike most of the complainers I actually use Windows 8.

Correction, unlike most of the complainers you are still using Windows 8. And of course you are still using it, it was designed for you, a n00b masquerading as a power user.

But customers have spoken. Regardless of my opinions—or yours—the company is right to respond accordingly.

This one really ticks me off. They have no intentions of responding and you know it. Microsoft is about to deliver the most incredible insult to the criticism imaginable - installing a Start Button that points back at Metro. This will literally be the biggest FU ever in the history of customer feedback. There is no parallel. Yet this shill still has the chutzpah to write the above quote, presumably with a straight face.

Naturally Paul gets decimated in the comments by haterz. He pretty much goes off the deep-end trying to respond, especially when some question his integrity by pointing out his obvious fanboyism and likely shilling for Microsoft money. Here he is replying to the first accusation ...

Un-fricking-belieable.

Really? That's what you wonder? You sometimes wonder about my credibility? You sometimes question whether I'm some sort of shill?

That tells me two things. You are not paying attention. And the other is too mean to publish.

F@#$ that, buddy. F@#$ that.

Hehe. :lol: Why are you angry Paul? Are you a hater hater? It's not like you haven't been hearing this for years, it's just that things are amped up now because you know Microsoft is FUBAR these days and still you vent on the innocent victims of Microsoft who do not want their work habits dictated to them. You are angry at the wrong people. And here's another reply to another accusation of shilling ...

OK. So, to be clear, I'm done with this kind of time-wasting BS. Don't reply. Don't post something like this again.

Too bad crybaby. You better learn to blame the perpetrator, not the victim. Your beloved Redmond braintrust has done this and people are not happy. The reason they are not happy is that Microsoft wants them to shut up and be good little children and play with their colored blocks and you sycophantic shills are enabling them. If you want to prove them wrong you should be skewering Microsoft. But you are a pretend journalist anyway. Here we are six months since they fired Sinofsky and you still haven't found out from your "sources" what happened. I'll bet you haven't even asked Sinofsky for an interview, have you? Some journalist.

Posted Image
( inspiration )

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,169 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Didn't want to let this one pass us by uncriticized. This Thurrott post was inspired by that Julie interview a few days back.

(Re)Start Me Up: The Great Windows 8 Debate ( Thurrott 2013-05-09 )

Charlotte, of the almost 3000 posts in this thread, this has got to rank among the top two or three for its blend of passion and detail. Bravo, and thanks!! :thumbup :thumbup

It's such a stunning commentary that I was going to reply simply that my mouth was left open in amazement. However, after checking out Thurrott's page I did manage to find one thing for that open mouth to say. (I hope it doesn't end up actually being a foot going in.) Thurrott writes:

In a perfect world, Windows would meld to the hardware you’re using. On a tablet, things would work as they do now, and on a traditional PC, you’d boot to the desktop and have a Start button.

In the midst of all the Stalinist cr*p written before and after that paragraph (he's a World War II buff), in the middle of it there is this one nugget which contradicts everything else he says -- and which represents the core of what I (we) have been asking for all along.

He says "in a perfect world," but what exactly is so technically difficult to accomplish here? Isn't it the case that, upon installation, Windows can tell (or you can tell Windows) if you're using a laptop vs. a desktop PC? So, what's so hard about being able to tell between a tablet/phone vs. a laptop/desktop, that the idea needs to be relegated to an "in a perfect world" wish list?

What am I missing here?

--JorgeA

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,169 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

You want linux, this is the way to go:

Posted Image

Thanks, what do you like about Slackware vs. other Linux distros (apart from Ubuntu which we've already ruled out)?

--JorgeA

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users