Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Windows 8 - Deeper Impressions

• Please log in to reply
5784 replies to this topic

JorgeA

JorgeA

FORMAT B: /V /S

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,038 posts

I posted this link in the "Start Button replacements" thread, but it's relevant here too (maybe more so):

'Start' button devs say Windows 8.1 doesn't put them out of business

Right-on-the-money comment down below:

"These products fill a need: to ease the transition to Windows 8 and its unfamiliar Start page"

I suppose that's one way of putting it. And yet another way to put it is that these products restore a critical productivity tool Microsoft removed for the sole purpose of trying to force industrial and enterprise users to use a cell-phone interface on their PC, namely the hated, productivity-killing, single-window, no-taskbar, touchy-feely, flashy-blinky Metro UI screen, which is pretty much useful only for looking up the latest cat videos, and texting, tweeting and talking.

:thumbup

--JorgeA

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,074 posts

No doubt the NSA is interested in the contents of e-mails, but the newspaper reporting so far has indicated that, while they may or may not have access to those contents, they do have access to the kind of metadata that the MIT project analyzes. Therefore the MIT project serves as an illustration of what the NSA can do, with the proviso that the NSA does this with most or all e-mail services out there and not just Gmail, so they get a more complete picture of people's webs of relationships. And of course users send their info knowingly and voluntarily to MIT, which is more than can be said for the NSA.

--JorgeA

Still, those articles are pure bull§hit, that VERY nice thingy :thumbup: from the MIT guys has nothing to do with Prism (or similar NSA controls/accesses) and, JFYI, provides completely meaningless data (when it comes to "investigation").

You see, the number of e-mails you get and send is a completely meaningless piece of data, we could exchange - say - 6 mails a day for several years, and then (IF you are Dr.Evil in disguise :ph34r:)you could send a single e-mail to a "disposable" e-mail address commanding the next 9/11 attack :w00t:, and this would have in one of those graphic no highlight/relevance whatsoever.

The (as said very nice) graphics created with the data is mostly eye-candy, just imagine the NSA analyst clicking his/her way through a zillion baloons! :whistle:

And then there is the not-so-trifling issue of the six (or maybe seven) degrees of separation theory:
https://en.wikipedia...s_of_separation

Rest assured that *whatever* the NSA has is both "much better" and "very different" from the thingy that those articles FALSELY represented as an example of what they have.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz, 15 July 2013 - 03:05 AM.

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,038 posts

We here are not the only ones to be concerned over working in the cloud:

Companies Still Fear Cloud Computing, Survey Finds

In the poll, 64% of companies cited potential poor end-user experience due to performance bottlenecks as their chief concern about the cloud. That issue got the greatest response.

The impact of poor performance on brand reputation and/or customer loyalty was a worry of 51% of respondents.

The third most pressing concern was loss of revenue due to cloud service problems, cited by 43.5% of the companies.

Makes sense to me. If you're no longer the one to store and maintain your own data, you put yourself in the awkward situation of becoming the focus of customer complaints without being able to do much about them.

Imagine that you've succumbed to fashion: your business documents are now stored in SkyDrive via your oh-so-cool Surface -- and SkyDrive goes down. Or Office 365 (364 as @Charlotte tagged it ;) ) goes down just as you need to make last-minute fixes on a contract or a spreadsheet before forwarding.

Something to consider before marching blindly onward into the cloud...

--JorgeA

Formfiller

Formfiller

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

The disease spreads:

google-play-store-revamp.jpg

Google Play Store got metrofied! What a sad world, wow.

I can't believe Apple and Google are copying the great success that is Windows 8. Instead of using the opportunity that Microsoft p***ed so many customers off, they are following their footsteps. So many billions in the banks, yet so many idiots in the corporate offices..

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,074 posts

Imagine that you've succumbed to fashion: your business documents are now stored in SkyDrive via your oh-so-cool Surface -- and SkyDrive goes down. Or Office 365 (364 as @Charlotte tagged it  ;) ) goes down just as you need to make last-minute fixes on a contract or a spreadsheet before forwarding.

Something to consider before marching blindly onward into the cloud...

Well, yes and no.

That would be comparable to a "glitch in the matrix", a temporary hiccup, not unlike a dead phone/dsl line or a Server hard disk failing abruptly.

Something that can be restored/fixed within a few hours or at the very most one-two days.

It's when you don't know WHERE exactly your DATA is and WHO EXACTLY is responsible for it that the problem may come out.

You cannot use the Big ones (because of the seen problems with privacy/government snooping/etc.).

You cannot use the Middle sized ones (because they will have costs so high that they will most probably sub-franchise to smaller operators, John Doe's like, that will have your data placed in a single location - i.e subject to any kind of physical damage - and/or might go out of business over the night )

You cannot use the Small sized ones (because they are ALREADY John Doe :w00t: ).

You cannot anyway actually trust anyone of them, so you will need to have a replicating service (possibly with hosts surely in another country and/or location), provided that you actually know where the actual "main" cloud provider physical hard disks are located (and then again your data will be more subject to snooping by either the government or the guys of the replicating service.

Also, let's say that a cloud provider (good, solid company, in perfect good faith) has your data together with those of a parallel (say) web activity like file hosting.

Let's say that the "file hosting" branch (right or wrong) is implied/connected with hosting/providing download of Copyright protected files (or any other crime connected activity).

What would happen when the US DOJ notices it and the FBI (or whomever) shuts down the service?

Or if the Police seizes the whole server farm "as is"?

I would guess that among the people using Megaupload (to make a known example) there were also good guys making a perfectly legitimate use of the file hosting.

http://en.wikipedia....Other_reactions

jaclaz

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,038 posts

All good points -- the case for the cloud is even shakier than we had first imagined!

As soon as I read where you wrote, "let's say that a cloud provider... has your data together with those of a parallel (say) web activity like file hosting" -- I thought of Megaupload. And sure enough, that's the example you had in mind, Yup, that's another real risk of trusting the cloud. And not merely theoretical anymore. :ph34r:

A defender of the cloud might argue that, well, you need to back up your stuff locally, or use a backup cloud backup. But in the former case you may as well just use your own storage in the first place, and in the latter case the costs of using cloud services are doubled. Either way, the rationale for the cloud is dubious. On top of all the good arguments and scenarios that you brought up. :)

--JorgeA

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,038 posts

The disease spreads:

I can't believe Apple and Google are copying the great success that is Windows 8. Instead of using the opportunity that Microsoft p***ed so many customers off, they are following their footsteps. So many billions in the banks, yet so many idiots in the corporate offices..

Oh, man... :}

Wonder what it will take to eradicate this Metroitis infection.

--JorgeA

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,074 posts

A defender of the cloud might argue that, well, you need to back up your stuff locally, or use a backup cloud backup. But in the former case you may as well just use your own storage in the first place, and in the latter case the costs of using cloud services are doubled. Either way, the rationale for the cloud is dubious. On top of all the good arguments and scenarios that you brought up.  :)

But the cloud as "de-localized" backup or "redundant copy" seems to me a very good idea :yes:. (and the risks are limited)

The foolishness represented is that of the cloud in this "modern" concept of having "everything" (as opposed to a copy or backup) *somewhere* in the hands of *someone* (and senselessly moving back and forth bytes at an anyway much slower than "local lan" speed).

jaclaz

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,510 posts

The disease spreads:

I can't believe my eyes. This is just horrible :puke: :puke: :puke:

It actually looks much worse than Windows 8 itself because in Windows 8 the layout is rather consistent while Google Play has become a complete mish-mash.

The funny thing is that Chrome has just crashed while I was trying to browse this "pile of junk" website.

Edited by tomasz86, 16 July 2013 - 02:18 PM.

post-47483-1123010975.png
Unofficial Service Pack 5.2 for MS Windows 2000 <- use this topic if you need help with UURollup, Update Rollup 2 and other unofficial packages

Formfiller

Formfiller

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

The only reason why Microsoft could get away with this metro BS is because of the stupidity of the other companies.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 5,953 posts

Donator

The disease spreads:

I can't believe my eyes. This is just horrible :puke: :puke: :puke:

It actually looks much worse than Windows 8 itself

yeah this looks so horrible :o :thumbdown
Posted Image

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,038 posts

A defender of the cloud might argue that, well, you need to back up your stuff locally, or use a backup cloud backup. But in the former case you may as well just use your own storage in the first place, and in the latter case the costs of using cloud services are doubled. Either way, the rationale for the cloud is dubious. On top of all the good arguments and scenarios that you brought up.  :)

But the cloud as "de-localized" backup or "redundant copy" seems to me a very good idea :yes:. (and the risks are limited)

The foolishness represented is that of the cloud in this "modern" concept of having "everything" (as opposed to a copy or backup) *somewhere* in the hands of *someone* (and senselessly moving back and forth bytes at an anyway much slower than "local lan" speed).

Yeah, "local first with cloud backup" is preferable to "cloud first with local backup", the latter of which is what a cloud evangelist might propose as a fallback to "all and only cloud" (in the scenario I presented).

--JorgeA

Win2k3EE

Win2k3EE

• PipPip
  • 222 posts

Google play interface looks like a drawing of an 3 year-old kid. :D  It's pretty...if you're in kindergarten.  :D

"Cloud storage"?

Neah! I like to keep my stuff to myself. If you need mobility, then you create your own VPN or FTP. Maybe the costs are a bit higher, but at least you know that "someone" "somewhere" is not going through your private data without your consent.

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,038 posts

In the June 2013 issue of MaximumPC magazine, Online Managing Editor Jimmy Thang writes:

I finally made the upgrade to Windows 8 on my personal PC and I hate to admit it, but the OS is beginning to grow on me. Don't get me wrong, I still hate Metro or whatever Microsoft wants us to call it, but the free Classic Shell start button ensures that I never have to deal with that clunky mobile interface on my desktop.

--JorgeA

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,074 posts

In the June 2013 issue of MaximumPC magazine, Online Managing Editor Jimmy Thang writes:

I finally made the upgrade to Windows 8 on my personal PC and I hate to admit it, but the OS is beginning to grow on me. Don't get me wrong, I still hate Metro or whatever Microsoft wants us to call it, but the free Classic Shell start button ensures that I never have to deal with that clunky mobile interface on my desktop.

--JorgeA

With all due respect to Mr. Jimmy Thang :yes::

Spoiler

:lol:

jaclaz

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,038 posts

Uh-oh:

Microsoft Plummets On Q4 Miss, Surface Tablet Losses

Microsoft (MSFT) whiffed with its fiscal fourth quarter reported late Thursday, as weak consumer sales of Windows 8 PCs dragged down revenue and earnings. It also took a $900 million charge to write down inventory of its poorly selling Surface RT tablets.

On a year-over-year basis, revenue rose 10%. Earnings per share fell 1.5% excluding the Surface RT write-down or 12% including it.

[Microsoft CFO Amy] Hood said the Surface RT "inventory adjustments" mostly stemmed from $150 discounts off the original price of $499 for the base model. The $900 million is equal to $150 discounts on 6 million Surface RT tablets. Microsoft has been heavily discounting the slates in recent weeks, and observers speculate the company might discontinue the line, which it launched with great fanfare in October.

Microsoft is a big company with a lot of divisions and products. Here are reported figures for the most relevant division for our purposes:

Revenue in Microsoft's Windows division rose 6% to $4.41 billion, but excluding deferred revenue from other quarters, sales fell 6%.

So, actual Windows sales are off 6% despite (or, as we might say, because of) the introduction of the new version of their flagship product.

The final paragraph passes along speculation that PC makers might be holding off on buying new Windows licenses 'til Windows 8.1 comes out in the fall. This sounds plausible, until we remember (correct me if I'm wrong) that Windows 7 sales remained healthy at the same point in the cycle a year ago, even as Win8 was approaching. The bottom just happened to fall out with the launch of Win8, right?

--JorgeA

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,038 posts

It's even worse than we thought:

NSA warned to rein in surveillance as agency reveals even greater scope

The National Security Agency revealed to an angry congressional panel on Wednesday that its analysis of phone records and online behavior goes exponentially beyond what it had previously disclosed.

John C Inglis, the deputy director of the surveillance agency, told a member of the House judiciary committee that NSA analysts can perform "a second or third hop query" through its collections of telephone data and internet records in order to find connections to terrorist organizations.

"Hops" refers to a technical term indicating connections between people. A three-hop query means that the NSA can look at data not only from a suspected terrorist, but from everyone that suspect communicated with, and then from everyone those people communicated with, and then from everyone all of those people communicated with.

How Microsoft handed the NSA access to encrypted messages

Microsoft has collaborated closely with US intelligence services to allow users' communications to be intercepted, including helping the National Security Agency to circumvent the company's own encryption, according to top-secret documents obtained by the Guardian.

The documents show that:

• Microsoft helped the NSA to circumvent its encryption to address concerns that the agency would be unable to intercept web chats on the new Outlook.com portal;

• The agency already had pre-encryption stage access to email on Outlook.com, including Hotmail;

• The company worked with the FBI this year to allow the NSA easier access via Prism to its cloud storage service SkyDrive, which now has more than 250 million users worldwide;

• Microsoft also worked with the FBI's Data Intercept Unit to "understand" potential issues with a feature in Outlook.com that allows users to create email aliases;

• In July last year, nine months after Microsoft bought Skype, the NSA boasted that a new capability had tripled the amount of Skype video calls being collected through Prism;

• Material collected through Prism is routinely shared with the FBI and CIA, with one NSA document describing the program as a "team sport".

The NSA has devoted substantial efforts in the last two years to work with Microsoft to ensure increased access to Skype, which has an estimated 663 million global users.

One document boasts that Prism monitoring of Skype video production has roughly tripled since a new capability was added on 14 July 2012. "The audio portions of these sessions have been processed correctly all along, but without the accompanying video. Now, analysts will have the complete 'picture'," it says.

Eight months before being bought by Microsoft, Skype joined the Prism program in February 2011.

According to the NSA documents, work had begun on smoothly integrating Skype into Prism in November 2010, but it was not until 4 February 2011 that the company was served with a directive to comply signed by the attorney general.

The NSA was able to start tasking Skype communications the following day, and collection began on 6 February. "Feedback indicated that a collected Skype call was very clear and the metadata looked complete," the document stated, praising the co-operation between NSA teams and the FBI. "Collaborative teamwork was the key to the successful addition of another provider to the Prism system."

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA, 19 July 2013 - 12:32 AM.

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,038 posts

It's high vacation season, but I'll keep providing updates so that y'all can catch up when you come back.

A few posts upthread we mentioned the Windows substitution project, ReactOS. Turns out it was the June "Project of the Month" at SourceForge, and they interviewed the project coordinator who had a number of interesting things to say. Sadly, the worst one is that they're still on FAT. This may be the reason that my attempts to run the ReactOS live DVD failed with blue screens on every machine -- except on my Windows 98 box.

But anyway, there's a good comment at the bottom of the page, and which ought to serve now as the main motivator for ReactOS to get traction as an operating system that's outside the Microsoft touch-obsessed orbit but which can run our Windows applications:

Personally I prefer using the keyboard,  -- the concept of  Win8 smacks of dumbing down, where we are assumed to be illiterate and can only respond to pictures (like my 3 year old grand son) + poking at screens with greasy fingers is a time waster.

My tablet (a tool) is a boon, but the fingered screen (sweat and grease) inhibits reading data, especially outdoors.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA, 19 July 2013 - 11:29 PM.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,074 posts

Sadly, the worst one is that they're still on FAT. This may be the reason that my attempts to run the ReactOS live DVD failed with blue screens on every machine -- except on my Windows 98 box.

JFYI, there is much more reason to be sad :( about the ReactOS development, they IMHO completely missed a logical, prgmatical approach and spent an incredible amount of (otherwise exceptionally good) resources and talent without advancing a single bit in practice, but your blue screens have nothing to do with NTFS. NTFS is just a filesystem, a live CD without NTFS support won't be able to access a NTFS volume, that's all, no reason why it should Blue Screen because of it.

jaclaz

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,074 posts

The three phases business plan for the Surface RT has been written by Undrpants Gnomes:

http://www.theregist...rning_the_cash/

The plan for Surface RT was written by the Underpants Gnomes.

Phase one: Apple is successful because it has a tablet, we build Windows tablets.

Phase Two: ?

Phase three: Profit.

Some intelligent considerations here:

http://techcrunch.co...ace-vs-ipad-ad/

Users didn’t care that the Surface RT has a USB port and kickstand before and they won’t care now. The x86-based Surface Pro is a much more useful machine, of course, but its price ($899+ at many retailers) puts it in a different category from the RT.

And another competitor for the "Captain Obvious 2013 Award" here:

http://betanews.com/...-and-heres-why/

There are other things as well that work against Surface RT, with one of them being Microsoft's own Surface Pro which, even though it comes with lower battery life, is an appealing tablet for current Windows users looking to take their work on the go, without having to ditch traditional software and readjust to limited mobile apps in the process. I'm certainly not alone in saying this, but I've considered buying a Surface RT only to realize that what I really need is a Surface Pro (which I'm likely going to purchase soon, come upgrade time).

It happened to me last time I was in a Volkswagen showroom, I went there to have a look at an used Polo:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VW_Polo

and suddenly realised that what I actually wanted was a new Golf R:

http://en.wikipedia....Golf_Mk6#Golf_R

Get real, Mihaita, you can get 2 (almost 3 now) Surfaces RT's for the price of a "real" Surface.

Would this mean that they are worth 1/3 to 1/2?

jaclaz

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,038 posts

Sadly, the worst one is that they're still on FAT. This may be the reason that my attempts to run the ReactOS live DVD failed with blue screens on every machine -- except on my Windows 98 box.

JFYI, there is much more reason to be sad :( about the ReactOS development, they IMHO completely missed a logical, prgmatical approach and spent an incredible amount of (otherwise exceptionally good) resources and talent without advancing a single bit in practice, but your blue screens have nothing to do with NTFS. NTFS is just a filesystem, a live CD without NTFS support won't be able to access a NTFS volume, that's all, no reason why it should Blue Screen because of it.

jaclaz

Thanks for the clarification. I was looking for a possible explanation of those blue screens, in light of the fact that my 1999-vintage tower was the only one to be able to finish booting ReactOS. What other "usual suspects" might there be? (If all else fails, I'll consult the ReactOS site, although the matter is not all that important. We're shooting the breeze here. :) )

More importantly -- in your view, what would have been a more pragmatic approach on the ReactOS team's part?

--JorgeA

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,038 posts

Interesting viewpoint on the Windows 8 debate in the comments section to this Win8.1 overview:

So I guess it's either, "Win8 is the most awesome thing ever," or, "Win8 sucks." Both types of comments are pointless.

Try this: Win8 was a modest technological upgrade beneath an interface revision which requires a very steep learning curve. It's new successor appears to demonstrate only that its authors have not learned from the market and insist on shoving questionable "innovations" down users' throats.

Say what you will about stability, but the market has labeled this OS a turkey, and that's a tough rep to shake, especially when genuinely useful improvements like the ones described by this article are intentionally obscured in the name of a misguided attempt at convergence.

If you love Win8, good for you. If you think it sucks, well, fine. All that really matters is that, according to the market, MS is failing with this product, and has stuck their heads in the sand about it. And the new revision appears to do nothing about that fact. Should we be surprised to learn that Android laptops (and even desktops) are starting to appear in system-makers' design chains?

So far, Win8 has basically set the stage for Windows becoming the ultimate boutique OS. For those of us who truly rely on it, this cannot be a good thing. My sincere hope is that MS gets the message from the market. But that's hard to imagine when they crank out misguided, half-hearted, condescending hoohah like 8.1.

Windows turning into a "boutique" OS -- ouch!

--JorgeA

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 5,953 posts

Donator

Windows turning into a "boutique" OS -- ouch!

this is nothing new. We know this sicne we saw Windows Developer preview the first time :thumbdown

Posted Image

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,074 posts

More importantly -- in your view, what would have been a more pragmatic approach on the ReactOS team's part?

Hmmm :unsure:, this would probably need a new dedicated thread, where I will manage to get flamed  :ph34r: by everyone:

• the "Windows" guys
  • the "Linux" guys
  • the "React-OS" guys

BTW all good guys :thumbup:, but quite touchy when you "comment" their beloved creature/preferred OS.

See if these posts are enough:

http://www.msfn.org/...e-6#entry747389

http://reboot.pro/to...indows/?p=46592

http://reboot.pro/to...ain/#entry43184

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz, 21 July 2013 - 03:50 AM.

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,054 posts
Recapping the big story just 3 days ago ...

Microsoft: $19.90 billion in revenue for Q2 2013; $900 million charge for Surface RT ( NeoWin 2013-07-18 )

Microsoft takes $900 million charge on unsold Surface RT tablets ( TechSpot 2013-07-19 )

Microsoft's Failed Surface RT Strategy Leads to $900 Million Charge on Unsold Inventory ( Maximum PC 2013-07-19 )

Microsoft released their FY2013 results, numbers which are heavily massaged as they end their accounting year and now move into FY2014. Even after juggling numbers around and spinning it as positive, the overall negative undertow was obvious to all except die-hard MicroZealots at NeoWin. In that comment thread one sensible commenter tries in vain to clue them in on what it all means and what Wall Street will do later in the day. I mean in post after post he tries to tell them that this is bad news and not spin-able, and that the market is not going to like it. Note that the NeoWin headline itself is ambiguous, stressing revenue instead of profit, and using "charge" which is not language understandable by most fanboys.

Slight digression here, there was one typical comment in there rationalizing Microsoft's collection of extortion money from Android device makers ...

Does it matter? Collecting money from Android is a legitimate part of their business. They practically birthed the tech in Android, why shouldn't they be able to count it?

Yeah right, Microsoft "birthed" Android only if he means by screwing up Windows people feel comfortable looking elsewhere. As for the patents, keep in mind that no-one at MicroApple, who both are busy pirates collecting duties from Android, are actually talking about what they claim to have invented, and the extortees are not talking because of some kind of gag order. So we don't really know what Microsoft and Apple are extorting for sure. There are strong suspicions that the file system is claimed by Microsoft and some other mobile functions by Apple, but they successfully extort them and then get them to hush up about it. Wikipedia currently has this ...

In October 2011, Microsoft said they had signed patent license agreements with ten Android device manufacturers, whose products account for 55% of the worldwide revenue for Android devices.[172] These include Samsung and HTC.[173] Samsung's patent settlement with Microsoft includes an agreement that Samsung will allocate more resources to developing and marketing phones running Microsoft's Windows Phone operating system.

Google has publicly expressed its frustration for the current patent landscape in the United States, accusing Apple, Oracle and Microsoft of trying to take down Android through patent litigation, rather than innovating and competing with better products and services.

Clearly Microsoft has went right back to their old ways of Standard Oil style anticompetitive monopolistic practices. Their "agreement" extracted by extorting Samsung is illustrative, getting them to promise to build devices using Microsoft's pOS because nobody wants them by choice. I don't know if Microsoft and Apple even realize it but they are really setting themselves up for a momentous fall. We can be certain that Google is not happy about this, nor the hypocritical Scroogle campaign, so they will have something up their sleeve, perhaps even writing their own royalty-free file system. The bad-will about these patent issues will also return to bite Ballmer's big fat butt because when you live by the patent suit, you also die by it. All it will take is the next big case that reverses this extortion and the house of cards will come tumbling down. It is within the realm of possibility that a future without Apple and Microsoft will arrive, and they will deserve all that comes with it.

Now back to the earnings report. After the denial of any whiff of bad news in the announcement, and despite the warnings from one intrepid commenter they stood fast on their religious belief in their MicroGod. Then reality hit them int their face as it always does ...

Microsoft Shares Tumble On Q4 Earnings Miss ( Forbes 2013-07-18 )

Its been a rough quarter for Microsoft.

Between the recent NSA revelations, the botched reveal of the Xbox One, and the departure of Xbox chief Don Mattrick, the company has faced one speed bump after another.

In todays earnings report, Microsoft had more bad news.

The tech giants Q4 earnings took a hit thanks to a $900 million writedown (or 7 cents per share) from slashed prices on its Surface RT tablet, just one factor that led to the company missing its fourth quarter expectations for profit and revenue.

I said a while back that the big Microsoft re-org thingie was nothing more than a preemptive strike to tamp down negative reactions on Wall Street. It is obvious to me that they had their preliminary FY2013 numbers a month ago and proceeded to do everything they could think of, including re-arranging the deck chairs, to keep the stock afloat.

NeoWin eventually posted a more accurate headline in the followup ...

Microsoft stock price down 11.40 percent in trading Friday ( NeoWin 2013-07-19 )

Although with a clear expression of head-scratching disbelief seen in the opening paragraph ...

You would think that champagne bottles would be popping if you owned stock in a company that announced it had $19.90 billion in revenue and a net profit of $4.97 billion for its last fiscal quarter, which is what Microsoft reported for its second quarter 2013 calendar earnings on Thursday.

It's all kinda funny because this was completely predictable if you read that first article at the top because they obviously had prepared all along to spin it in their favor. Such are the ways of the fanboy cult.

Microsoft also eventually had to respond to the obvious.

Microsoft CFO Amy Hood: "We know we have to do better" ( NeoWin 2013-07-19 )

But it's just more gobbledygook really. They have learned nothing.

... Let him who hath understanding reckon the Number Of The Beast ...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN