Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Windows 8 - Deeper Impressions

• Please log in to reply
5787 replies to this topic

JorgeA

JorgeA

FORMAT B: /V /S

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,040 posts
Microsoft researcher claims keyboard will soon be a thing of the past ( NeoWin 2013-08-31 )

Researchers at Microsoft like Andy Wilson invited others such as the head of Information and Computing Sciences department at SRI, Bill Mark, to get together and question the future of keyboards as we know them.

[...]

"Eventually, [keyboards] will become more of a niche thing, like programmers for example. You could almost see that with the workstation market. Workstations are going to be these altars to extreme computing, visualization, computational power, Visual Studio," said Wilson. "And only a small percentage of users do that."

Yeah, right -- like authors, reporters, editors, bloggers, lawyers, students, professors, scientists, and secretaries are going to start poking their communications into Metro Word. And everyone who posts on forums like this one or NeoWin and so many thousands of others is going to do so from an onscreen keyboard, a stylus, or voice. If you even have to so much as write an e-mail that says more than "how r u doin," none of these methods holds a candle to the keyboard in terms of speed, reliability, and efficiency. I'd like to get some of what Andy Wilson's been smoking...

--JorgeA

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,054 posts

"When you think about a pen or something like a pen, going back to a stylus writing in clay that's been around for a really long time. Thats because it works very well in certain situations. My personal feeling is that keyboards will be like that," Mark commented. "However, I think well be seeing them a lot less ..."

~sigh~ Save us from academics! Wrong you knucklehead, bad analogy because that is NOT what happened historically with clay tablets and stylus instruments. Gutenberg happened, and the printing press, and mass produced literature with efficient, consistent reproduction. If anything, the manual stylus has all but gone away in favor of efficiency and standardization. And about your touchscreens and Windows 8? They will be the blip on the radar, reproducing the old way of finger painting or stylus etching into clay, a solution in search of a problem. Besides, pen input and stylus entry has been with us all throughout the computer age, used in places where it simply made good sense, it didn't just arrive in some new paradigm that you eggheads have discovered. Mark down these two clowns as people to never take seriously.

Good comment thread underway though. Even the fanboys question these two geniuses!

Charlotte, you have it wrong :w00t:.

The keyboard is an INPUT method, not an OUTPUT one. Gutemberg and printing is a reproducing method (in several copies) of something that has been INPUT.

Pen and stylus input have always been around and perfectly suits specific purposes. I said that :yes:.

And I totally agree with respect to I/O and a computer interface. But there is a bit of "you say tomato" here because they dragged the prehistoric clay tablet into this ( not me! ). If we must ascribe modern I/O definitions to historical events then it is all relative. For example some ancient cave drawing was definitely the product of some particular caveman's artistic OUTPUT, but it was also the INPUT to a wall of images which was their descendants' knowledge base of how to kill or cook a mammoth or tribal history.

When he said, and I quote: "When you think about a pen or something like a pen, going back to a stylus writing in clay that's been around for a really long time. Thats because it works very well in certain situations. My personal feeling is that keyboards will be like that," he has blurred input and output right there speaking of a classic historical OUTPUT scenario while musing over modern INPUT devices ( he also has it backwards IMHO because the pen will most certainly remain the "certain situation" device ). Anyway, what I was getting at is that the printing press eliminated the entire previous human history of using a stylus or quill or bloody rock to create each "copy", the movable type becoming the INPUT device ( rather than your hand ) in the printing press process but also the OUTPUT from the point of view of the typesetter who instead of writing is manually re-arranging ink stamps on a block.

He is incorrectly ascribing to legacy status a current device though. In fact he is the one going backwards in technological advancement. Maybe I didn't make it clear enough, but I mean that manually handcrafting characters and glyphs was improved upon by the perfectly reproducible design of chars on a printing press ( keyboard today ). Their illogical idea now is to revert back to manual input ( handwriting ) in lieu of a keyboard even though it removes the very thing it improved upon - accuracy, efficiency and reproducibility. Yes, the computer processing and logic may be able to step in and correct the errors in which case their particular idea of pen and stylus input would have made a very nice interim step prior to the Gutenberg era. It would have added portability to the caveman artistic experience, but not much more.

So I think these academics are blurring the definitions, not me.  :lol: Almost all uses of touchscreen that they advertise is about fingerpainting and creativity OUTPUT. I disregard all those swipes and presses on Microsoft Tiles because they are redundant to keyboard pressing, mouse clicking and pen jabbing. In fact there really isn't a single new thing in this new paradigm except for the deliberate fingerprints on a screen which was almost exclusively an OUTPUT device but now does both. 

I think we can distill this whole thing down to a single point of truth ... MetroTards really see a computer as an OUTPUT device but geeks and developers see it as BOTH. :yes: I should have just said that in the first place!

... Let him who hath understanding reckon the Number Of The Beast ...

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• 2,054 posts

Windows XP loses over 3% of OS market share in August; Windows 8 gains 2% ( NeoWin 2013-09-01 )

zXd98ib.jpg

Well it seems that the incessant FUD spread by Microsoft and her loyal sycophants has paid off, at least for this month. Windows XP statistics fell from 37.19% to 33.66%. At least some of that lost 3.53% was redirected to Windows 8.0 which gained a whole 2.01%. However, let's look at the entire history which begins in September 2011 ( as far back as Net Applications provides ). ...

1zD3MPS.png

NOTE: the '---' stands for no data reported for that month, the OS was NOT listed at all. It is NOT the same as zero, which itself appears as '0.00' on their charts. If you want the dataset yourself but do not feel like going through their website pages, click the spoiler for all of the values in CSV format that can be dropped in a spreadsheet or if necessary, convert each comma to a TAB character  ...

Spoiler

It is a suspicious jump IMHO and I would not be surprised if there is a problem in these numbers. The biggest delta I can find in there previously has been about 2 percent, which occurred two years ago for Windows XP. The only explanation I can think of currently is that they might now be counting Windows Phone or tablet hits on webpages which must also show up as some form of Windows 8. This chart does specify "Desktop" as its source but I have yet to find a clear explanation of how they separate desktops and laptops from smaller devices.

The biggest change overall is obviously in Windows XP. Last month if you added up all Windows 8 and Vista you got 9.66% combined total which Windows XP surpassed by 4 times over. Now it is lower, 11.76% combined total which Windows XP still dwarfs but only by 3 times over. :lol:

Linux shows a small 1/3 percentage point gain this month as do the last two Mac OS X versions, add that to the 1.14% pickup for Windows 7 and it would seem to be that some Windows XP users are fleeing to non Microsoft Tiles based computers.

One huge thing that is going to really anger the fanboys in the coming months ... They are now counting Windows 8.1 Blew as a separate statistic! This is going to cause Windows 8.0 to flatline when the service pack goes to general availability in the fall. Since Net Applications has been breaking out the point releases of Mac OS X all along they really have no choice now do they?

Interesting fact: The total of all Mac versions is currently holding at 7.26%, while all Windows 8 versions is at 7.65% despite the massive push and marketing blitz and endless FUD. One year into the Microsoft Tiles era it has just nudged past Apple's private Mac operating system which is not even available on any computer without an Apple logo!

One mysterious thing is that they stopped notating the "Touch" versions of Windows 8 for some reason about four months ago. This is also unexplained and does not immediately make sense to me.

Also, there is now a category called "Win64" which is mysterious. The only thing I can think of is that it means some form of Itanium rooted OS, but even that is nonsensical because it wasn't released in April 2013 when the charts begins showing it. Does anyone understand this?

SIW2

SIW2

• 28 posts

From Ed Bott :huh:

.What happened? Did 40 million people suddenly wake up to the fact that support for Windows XP is ending in a matter of months and rush out to replace their outmoded machines with shiny new Windows 8 devices?

Sorry, no.

The real explanation might be more prosaic: Net Applications recently changed its formula for measuring usage.

http://www.zdnet.com...ets-7000020098/

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• 2,054 posts

Following up the above post from SIW2 ...

New stats show Windows 8 usage up sharply as XP usage plummets ( Ed Bott ZDNet 2013-09-01 )

It seems that sudden change was in fact due to something extraordinary, a methodology change by Net Applications ( tcha tcha tcha ~wags finger~ ). Ed Bott has turned up some information ...

What happened? Did 40 million people suddenly wake up to the fact that support for Windows XP is ending in a matter of months and rush out to replace their outmoded machines with shiny new Windows 8 devices?

Sorry, no.

The real explanation might be more prosaic: Net Applications recently changed its formula for measuring usage. In an undated note labeled “Important methodology change,” the company explains:

This month we start deducting hidden pages from our usage share statistics. Hidden pages are pages that are rendered but never viewed by the user, therefore, they should not be included in usage share data. An example of a hidden page is a page that loads in a background tab upon the launch of the browser and is never made visible.

That note appears to have been added to the site in July, although it's not clear from the note when the new methodology took effect

Don't they realize that adjusting data is suicide to a business that deals in data? That alleged phantom page count should have been left in as a "consistent error" ( if in fact it is an error at all ) to allow month to month comparisons to remain valid, or, that sudden change should have been explained in detail in clear terms requiring no super-sleuthing to locate it.

No wonder nobody trusts these guys!

Microsoft to stop Masters level certification exams on Oct. 1 ( NeoWin 2013-09-01 )

Microsoft Senior Consultant Neil Johnson, added that the company will no longer offer Masters and Architect training anymore. People who have already reached the Masters level of certification from Microsoft will still be able to claim that credential and will not need to be re-certified.

The Microsoft Connect message board has been one of the places where community members have written and posted their displeasure on this move. However, Tim Sneath, Microsoft's senior director of Microsoft Learning, did address those concerns in his own board post. In short, it would seem that the Masters certification program has not been as successful as Microsoft would have liked. Sneath said:

The truth is, for as successful as the program is for those who are in it, it reaches only a tiny proportion of the overall community. Only a few hundred people have attained the certification in the last few years, far fewer than we would have hoped.

I guess there were a few categories of people left to be insulted and infuriated by NuMicrosoft. We have found them, IT Support professionals! Ha, ya'll thought they forgot about you, eh? Welcome to the party pal!

6d502119_dh.jpeg

EDIT: spacing

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot, 02 September 2013 - 03:06 AM.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,077 posts

OW, comeon.

Whenever I find someone who is MS MVP or "Software Architect" I wonder about the whole academic (as they often hold a BSc in Computer Science and similar) and certification business, I may have been particularly unlucky, but I rarely happened to find anyone with those certifications that actually knows where his/her towel is.

jaclaz

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,040 posts

More news on online privacy:

Test 'reveals Facebook, Twitter and Google snoop on emails': Study of net giants spurs new privacy concerns

Facebook, Twitter and Google have been caught snooping on messages sent across their networks, new research claims, prompting campaigners to express concerns over privacy.

[...]

Cyber-security company High-Tech Bridge set out to test the confidentiality of 50 of the biggest internet companies by using their systems to send a unique web address in private messages.

Experts at its Geneva HQ then waited to see which companies clicked on the website.

During the ten-day operation, six of the 50 companies tested were found to have opened the link.

Among the six were Facebook, Twitter, Google and discussion forum Formspring.

High-Tech Bridge chief executive Ilia Kolochenko said: ‘We found they were clicking on links that should  be known only to the sender and recipient...'

And I wonder how long it'll be before this product is banned for "security" reasons:

OFF Pocket privacy pouch blocks mobile phone signals and stops anyone - including the government - from finding where you are

Your mobile phone can be the perfect tool for spies who want to track your movements.

And with recent revelations that authorities can remotely enable the microphone on Android phones, mobile privacy concerns have risen to the top of the agenda.

Now, Brooklyn-based designer Adam Harvey is hoping to cash in on these concerns with his $85 (£55) signal-blocking smartphone case named ‘OFF Pocket.’

Get one while you're still allowed to...

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA, 02 September 2013 - 05:13 PM.

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• 2,054 posts

Security news ...

Government Releasing Surveillance Doc Figures Annually ( Tom's Hardware 2013-09-02 )

Director of National Intelligence James R. Clapper said on Friday that each year, the Intelligence Community (IC) will release figures showing the total number of Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court orders and national security letters issued during the prior twelve-month period, and the number of targets affected by those orders.

Ah, they really think we're stupid don't they? This is that tiny walkback I anticipated designed to distract us and appease Congress. But it's nothing but a show. I recall that decades ago the communists were known for methodical long-term strategies sometimes called "two steps forward, one step back". What our wonderful government spooks have done is to far surpass them using something that we can safely call: "ten steps forward, one step back".

News from the competition ...

Acer Turns to Android for Latest All-in-One Desktop Solution ( Maximum PC 2013-09-02 )

One of those products is a 24-inch all-in-one desktop (DA241HL) running Android 4.2 Jelly Bean and powered by an Nvidia Tegra 3 System-on-Chip (SoC).

We're seeing more and more of these announcements. Not chromebooks ( which are selling pretty well for a cloudy OS experiment ), but native Android on the "desktop". I'd have to say that unless some radical events take place, like Microsoft growing a brain, the Windows replacement is already here and is really just awaiting a big push from Google. This is Microsoft's biggest nightmaare because losing the Operating System war, which never even needed to be fought in the first place, will be the biggest event in PC history since IBM fumbled the ball and was taken out of the game by ... wait for it ... Microsoft. Of course this will suck for everybody in the PC universe, which explains why we are so ticked off at these dumb*sses.

Acer unveils Liquid S2 as first 4K video recording smartphone ( TechSpot 2013-09-02 )

Ahead of IFA 2013 in Berlin, Acer has unveiled the Liquid S2, a brand new Android handset that features 4K 'Ultra HD' video recording; the "first" to do so according to Acer's press release. The smartphone packs a 13-megapixel camera with a BSI sensor and f/2.2 lens, surrounded by a ring LED flash, which alongside 4K recording is also capable of 1080p video at 60 frames per second, and 27-megapixel panoramas.

Here we see a high-end Android phone with huge photo and video capabilities aimed squarely at Nokia's flagship 1020. Speaking of that particular Nokia phone, has anyone noticed something interesting about the TV commercials they are running? Here's one, and here's another. What is obvious is that the Windows Phone aspect is being hugely downplayed, only appearing briefly at the end for a split second, if at all. Microsoft Tiles is becoming a liability and Nokia knows it better than anybody. I would expect them to build an Android phone soon and that 1020 would be a perfect starting point.

Xbox ...

Xbox One likely won't support external storage at launch ( NeoWin 2013-09-02 )

Microsoft's upcoming Xbox One game and entertainment console likely won't support external storage when it launches in November, though the company is working on an update that will add the functionality at a later date.

The Xbox hit parade continues. Microsoft and her sycophants all said "Don't worry about not being able to change the HDD, or having to install everything to the disk. You can add drives via USB!". Whoops, sorry about that! Maybe later.

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• 2,054 posts

Rumor: Windows RT, Windows Phone to Eventually Merge ( Tom's Hardware 2013-09-02 )

Winbeta reports that a source named WZOR, which has provided a number of Microsoft information leaks in the past, claims that the company is planning to merge Windows Phone OS and Windows RT.

This dog is almost dead now even though the fanboys still insist Windows 8 ReTard Edition is the greatest idea evah! Paul Thurrott was one of them saying it is the future blah blah blah. Who was right Paul? Yep, we were.

Windows 8 market share surpasses all versions of OS X combined ( TechSpot 2013-09-02 )

Proverbial short bus thinking going on here. For that headline to be true, either Microsoft would have had to release Windows 8 for Apple branded Macs, or, Apple to have released the Mac OS X for non-Apple computers. Neither of those things are true, sorry. This kind of "thinking" is one of the biggest cases of Idiocracy I have ever seen, and it goes back many, many years. The Mac OS is Microsoft's favorite phantom competitor since they get to make believe they are not a monopoly by pointing a finger at Apple.

Now consider the truth of the matter ... A multi-billion dollar push for Microsoft Tiles, a monopolized OEM distribution channel where they yanked the only real competitor ( Windows 7 ) off the playing field, and the fact that Mac OS X is NOT FOR SALE, anywhere, at any price. That puts it into proper perspective and makes headlines such as this a lie of epic proportions. The count of Mac OS X usage is a count of Apple computers sold. The count of Windows 8 usage is a count of computers shipped from the monopolized OEM channels with Windows forced onto them. Lies, lies, and more lies.

Rumor: Microsoft's new CEO to be named "sooner than later" ( NeoWin 2013-09-02 )

Ha! Time for the fanboys to get a taste of FUD! The thread is littered with speculation of what Microsoft products will be terminated or spun off. The shoe's on the other foot now. They're getting rattled and it shows.

Study: Windows Phone rises to 8.2 percent market share in five European markets ( NeoWin 2013-09-02 )

Sad and pathetic display of desperate optimism. They're bragging about the WP success in a handful of European markets where they have double marketshare compared to everywhere else. They really must hate math because even in their best case scenario WP makes up 1 out of every 12 smartphones. I guess that explains their celebration because everywhere else it is 1 out of every 25 smartphones or less. It is hard to imagine a worse result for the grand Microsoft Tiles experiment sacrificing their hard-fought Windows reputation in the process of gaining nothing.

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• 2,054 posts
Microsoft buys Nokia's Devices and Services unit for 5.4 billion Euros ( TechSpot 2013-09-02 )

Microsoft to Buy Nokia's Device Business for Over $7 Billion ( Tom's Hardware 2013-09-02 )

Microsoft to buy Nokia's Devices & Services business ( NeoWin 2013-09-02 )

Stephen Elop returning to Microsoft as part of Nokia deal ( NeoWin 2013-09-02 )

What Microsoft's deal to acquire Nokia will (and could) mean to everyone ( NeoWin 2013-09-02 )

Around 32,000 employees will transfer from Nokia to Microsoft thanks to the purchase, including 4,700 people in Finland, and 18,300 people directly involved with manufacturing. Nokia CEO Stephen Elop will return to Microsoft as Executive VP of Devices & Services, with Risto Siilasmaa assuming an interim CEO position at what remains of Nokia.

Ballmer going out with a bang. Blowing another $7 billion , flushed down the toilet to go along with the previous large amounts blown on Skype and aQuantive.

Why is this bad? Well for starters, Nokia is dead and gone now and they were a very good independent phone maker. What is worse is that they will never be able to re-create their reputation of quality as a Microsoft division. It's all downhill from here baby. As an independent, Nokia could barely muster 4% marketshare with the Microsoft Tiles interface on a "Nokia" handset. Change that label to "Microsoft" and you have a miniature Surface fiasco in the making. They cannot be trusted to do anything right so Nokia just discarded their legacy.

It is stunning that Microsoft actually believes they can buy a reputation! Have they learned nothing? And what about Nokia? Abandoning their business and customers to cash out? Disgusting.

ADDED: so what other company would even consider signing up to use Windows Phone now? They pretty much just guaranteed that only Microsoft will make those handsets going forward. And then you have all those new employees! 32,000! You Softies out there better get your résumés up to date because you know that layoffs are on the horizon.

Here is the graphic I made a while back that now fits even more perfectly ...

VCDnUZU.jpg

EDIT: added quote, also some more thoughts

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot, 03 September 2013 - 01:58 AM.

FiveAcres

FiveAcres

• 11 posts

My favorite quote today on Nokia acquisition by Microsoft:

Moreover, the fact Steve Ballmer is stepping down makes a deal of this magnitude hugely problematic. Guy English has already characterized Ballmer’s disastrous reorganization as a straitjacket for the next CEO; adding on a mobile phone business that Microsoft probably should abandon is like attaching an anchor to said straitjacket and tossing the patient into the ocean. It will be that much more difficult for the next CEO to look at Windows Phone rationally.

The Deal the Makes No Sense from stratechery

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,077 posts

@JorgeA

Nice find :) about the guy, but you should be aware that he re-invented hot-water :w00t: (and not particularly hotter than common hot water):

Now, Brooklyn-based designer Adam Harvey is hoping to cash in on these concerns with his $85 (£55) signal-blocking smartphone case named ‘OFF Pocket.’

http://www.dailymail...inding-are.html

These things are called "Faraday bags", are on the market since years, are not 100% effective in a number of cases, BUT - if they work - they will bring the battery of the phone down in a VERY SHORT period of time.

See:

http://www.forensicf...wtopic/t=10657/

http://www.forensicf...ewtopic/t=9890/

"Inventing" some that already exists, it is actually better tested, and it's already sold for less than US $ 60 (very expensive because of the transparent window, plainer models cost much less, anything between US$ 10 and $25 is available) and selling it for the US$ 85 apiece is pure genius :yes:.

BTW, wrapping the handy in three or four layers of common kitchen aluminum foil has EXACTLY the same (if not better) results.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz, 03 September 2013 - 07:38 AM.

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,040 posts

@JorgeA

Nice find :) about the guy, but you should be aware that he re-invented hot-water :w00t: (and not particularly hotter than common hot water):

http://www.dailymail...inding-are.html

These things are called "Faraday bags", are on the market since years, are not 100% effective in a number of cases, BUT - if they work - they will bring the battery of the phone down in a VERY SHORT period of time.

See:

http://www.forensicf...wtopic/t=10657/

http://www.forensicf...ewtopic/t=9890/

"Inventing" some that already exists, it is actually better tested, and it's already sold for less than US $ 60 (very expensive because of the transparent window, plainer models cost much less, anything between US$ 10 and $25 is available) and selling it for the US$ 85 apiece is pure genius :yes:.

BTW, wrapping the handy in three or four layers of common kitchen aluminum foil has EXACTLY the same (if not better) results.

jaclaz

The Daily Mail article doesn't say that this guy invented the idea or its implementation, only that he created this particular product. However, the article does suggest that this particular bag may offer superior privacy:

The interior fabric is made up of metal-covered fibres that shield your phone from signals of up to 100dB between 800MHz-2.4GHz.

For comparison, various law-enforcement forensic bags offer 80dB of shielding.

In any case, I'm all for new entrants in this market. As the saying goes, "the more, the merrier!"

--JorgeA

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,040 posts

Here's an interesting take on the surveillance/privacy game Microsoft and Google may be playing:

Microsoft and Google (don’t really) want to tell you more about government data requests

There isn't a singular paragraph that sums up what the article says, so I'm not pasting any quotes. You may want to go and read it all. (It's not long.)

--JorgeA

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,077 posts

In any case, I'm all for new entrants in this market. As the saying goes, "the more, the merrier!"

--JorgeA

Ow, come on.

You probably didn't read fully what I posted. :unsure:

Or you really like paying more money for something that you can have for much less and that will anyway drain your battery?

Interesting idea of "competition" and "evolution".

Humanity is doomed. :(

jaclaz

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,716 posts

Donator

Windows 8.1 does not really take care of a common Windows 8 complaint. There still is no "how to use the OS" thing that even Vista had. Instead there is a first run "experience" where annoying large boxes with arrows show up on the screen telling you how to access charms and the "Start button" on the taskbar.

what is now changed for technet? I haven't seen new things.

Its back to "normal" today. On the 30th the "My Forums" page had the old TechNet mesh design. And viewing a thread had some design elements changed. Maybe it was done by accident, as today I go there and it looks like it did before.

MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3.x | lol probloms
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

TELVM

TELVM

• PipPip
  • 282 posts

Your mobile phone can be the perfect tool for spies who want to track your movements.

And with recent revelations that authorities can remotely enable the microphone on Android phones, mobile privacy concerns have risen to the top of the agenda ...

took-05-1024.jpg

"Lester, can you actually believe we f***ing sold the wiretaps to the targets ... ... LMAO!"

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,040 posts

--JorgeA

Ow, come on.

You probably didn't read fully what I posted. :unsure:

Or you really like paying more money for something that you can have for much less and that will anyway drain your battery?

Interesting idea of "competition" and "evolution".

Humanity is doomed. :(

jaclaz

jaclaz, I did read fully what you wrote, as you will see below.

Regarding the higher price for this product -- well, whether it's worth it depends on whether their bag really does offer better protection (as claimed) than other competing products. We can look into it if you want. And as for how fast it drains the battery -- that's good to know, but again it is up to the market (customers) to decide whether it's worth it to get the ostensible level of protection.

If you can find a protective bag that performs as well or better, for a lower price -- fabulous. Market competition will separate the wheat from the chaff. For now -- and this is the actual point of posting the link to that article, a point that has been ignored in this sidetracking discussion -- a major daily newspaper saw fit to remind its readers (no doubt some of them learning of this concept for the first time) that there is this kind of product out there that they can use. It is not the sort of thing that a user would conceive of automatically, so articles like this one are helpful as springboards for researching one's purchases.

--JorgeA

EDIT: clearer wording

Edited by JorgeA, 04 September 2013 - 12:25 AM.

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,040 posts

The race tightens:

Leaked US spying budget reveals investments in 'groundbreaking' cryptanalysis

In his statement, Clapper listed the primary areas of investment for the intelligence community which included Signals Intelligence (SIGINT). In respect to SIGINT he wrote: "We are bolstering our support for clandestine SIGINT capabilities to collect against high priority targets, including foreign leadership targets. Also, we are investing in groundbreaking cryptanalytic capabilities to defeat adversarial cryptography and exploit internet traffic."

[...]

The NSA's mass upstream interception of Internet traffic has prompted many people in the security community to wonder what the agency's crypto-cracking capabilities might be in relation to encryption schemes and protocols that are in widespread use on the Internet today. Some crypto experts believe that there is not reason to believe the NSA can crack strong encryption algorithms vetted by scientists, but others said that the feasibility of breaking widely used encryption protocols like SSL/TLS depends on various factors, like key size and other configurations.

What do y'all think?

--JorgeA

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,040 posts
"Lester, can you actually believe we f***ing sold the wiretaps to the targets ... ... LMAO!"

That was very good!   :lol:  :(

--JorgeA

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• 2,054 posts
Windows Phone OEMs still important as Microsoft targets 15% market share ( TechSpot 2013-09-03 )

Microsoft's OS leader: Buying Lumia "will help" other Windows Phone OEMs ( NeoWin 2013-09-03 )

However, in an official blog post, Terry Myerson, the recently named head of Microsoft's Operating Systems division, claims that the company's purchase of Nokia's Lumia business " ... will help make the market for all Windows Phones, from Microsoft or our OEM partners." He added:

We have exciting ideas, and so do our OEM partners. Our partners bring innovation, diversity and scale to Windows. Im always thrilled by the beautiful new device designs our partners are continually bringing to market. Theres a breadth of choice in form factor, finish and materials that deliver unique devices at a variety of price points. These devices feature innovative high resolution displays, audio, cameras, multi-finger touch screens, creative new hinge designs, new sensors, and other hardware enhancements that provide choice in the market and great experiences for users.

Man, that is some industrial strength marketbabble that unfortunately says nothing about how this deal will "help" the existing and potential WP OEMs. It's more like "tough noogies". Really now, why would Samsung or HTC release another WP now?

The deal just makes no sense really. According to the buzz on CNBC today, Microsoft takes $10 on every WP phone sold, and they will be able to now take $40 if the deal goes through. I don't feel like doing the math, but that is one huge buttload of phones they will need to ship to be able to clear that $7 billion ticket just to own the Nokia brand. How the he!! are they going to make this thing profitable? They still need to employ these 30 thousand new employees! This is a loser for Microsoft and I have a suspicion it is only to do one thing - save face because the OEM's were abandoning WP and I'd bet Nokia was considering an Android backup.

Here's one of the many skeptical comments about this deal ...

I said at the time Nokia signed the deal with Microsoft that it was only to devalue Nokia, so Microsoft would buy them. If Nokia would have given users a choice of OS, they would have been much more profitable. Microsoft may have still purchased them, but it would have cost them 2 or 3 times as much.

Now, Nokia should be sued by their shareholders for making such a stupid move.

Can't argue with that IMHO.

Could Stephen Elop Be the Next CEO of Microsoft? ( Tom's Hardware 2013-09-03 )

What will be left of Nokia after Microsoft's deal closes? ( NeoWin 2013-09-03 )

Nokia stock up 35 percent today; Microsoft stock down 5 percent ( NeoWin 2013-09-03 )

As Elop returns to Microsoft after a three-year stint at Nokia, this is the question folks are asking.

Stephen Elop knows Microsoft and he knows Steve Ballmer. Aside from teaming up with the Microsoft CEO for this video elaborating on the Microsoft/Nokia Windows Phone partnership, Elop used to work at Microsoft. For two years, from 2008 to 2010, he ran Microsoft's Business Division and was responsible for Microsoft Office. Elop then took the role of CEO at Nokia in September of 2010 and, a few short months later, threw his support behind Windows Phone, making it Nokia's primary smartphone OS.

Two years? Elop was barely ever a Softie. And barely a Nokia CEO for that matter. That qualifies as experience? He was a suit, plain and simple. I'm having a real hard time believing that real Softies would accept this guy as President of a division let alone future CEO. I would promote Raymond Chen instead. Yeah he's got a bit of an attitude but at least he's a bonafide programmer. Even Julie has more credentials. Suddenly Sinofsky doesn't look so bad.

In one of the online polls the majority of voters are supporting Gabe Newell as next CEO. :lol: There are even funnier entries too.

More skepticism ...

if he will become the ceo of microsoft there will be many lawsuits to prove he didnt plunge NOKIA into chaos and misfortune, so microsoft could buy it for a lower price, and then become microsoft ceo, since hes been with Nokia its stocks dropped from around 10 usd to around 4 usd

It's hard to argue with this IMHO. I'll bet that the EU will be all over this business arrangement. It just smells bad.

What will Microsoft call its upcoming in-house Windows Phones? ( NeoWin 2013-09-03 )

Best idea I've seen seen so far ... Lusitania  :lol:

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,077 posts

jaclaz, I did read fully what you wrote, as you will see below.

If you can find a protective bag that performs as well or better, for a lower price -- fabulous. Market competition will separate the wheat from the chaff. For now -- and this is the actual point of posting the link to that article, a point that has been ignored in this sidetracking discussion -- a major daily newspaper saw fit to remind its readers (no doubt some of them learning of this concept for the first time) that there is this kind of product out there that they can use. It is not the sort of thing that a user would conceive of automatically, so articles like this one are helpful as springboards for researching one's purchases.

Sorry, but no :(, you haven't then fully got the technical (please read as "practical") point I was trying to make (besides the "commercial" one of managing to sell something at 5x it's market value).

A cellular phone is BOTH transmitting and receiving.

The "transmitting" part is normally VERY LOW power (otherwise it would fry your brain) in operation and even lower in "stand-by" and cells antenna are VERY "sensitive", but when it cannot reach a cell antenna the intensity of transmission from the phone is raised noticeably (it tries "desperately" to make contact to a cell).

This means that the power consumption (battery drain) will raise noticeably.

A phone whose battery (fully charged) would normally last 24 hours in standby, may be drained in as low as 4 hours (yes, up to x6 factor roughly, of course greatly depending on model and firmware/telecom provider) if isolated from network.

The "need" for a "insulating container" for forensic scopes is of course different from that hinted in the mentioned article (mainly it is to avoid that anything inside the phone is altered and that there is no risk of having it switched off because th ePIN or access password may be not known), but the experience using similar "Faraday bags" devices since years has led to a whole set of "externally powered" containers, using large capacity batteries to guarantee that the power to the phone is maintained for long periods.

So the advertised thingy, besides not being particularly new (and since db are on a logarithmic scale the claimed "leap" between 80 and 100 db is really hard to be trusted at "face value" - and BTW very few "forensic Faraday bags do reach 80 db attenuation):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decibel

is of very little practical use, as after a few hours inside a perfectly shielded container the phone will switch itself off because of the battery going to 0.

A "normal" user (which does have his/her own PIN/password) would have a much easier way to isolate the phone by simply switching it off/removing the battery.

Since the "new" bag has no "window" it is not like some of the forensic bags with which the "offline" functions of the phone can be used.

So, the only advantage (provided that the shielding is actually effective) would be that taking the phone off the bag is faster than re-inserting the battery/switching it on when you want/need to use it (a handful of seconds), what I was pointing out is that there is a not-so-little drawback, which is the concrete risk of finding - when you take the phone out of the bag - that the phone has switched itself off and/or that there is no power left in the battery. 

With all due respect to the good guys/gals at the Daily Mail, they (as well as a number of other UK and non UK newspapers) also publish articles like this one:

http://www.dailymail...dic-waters.html

what they "see fit" to make their readers aware of can be of greatly variable nature, and they did not seemingly care to clarify it was a joke/hoax, like - as an example - the Telegraph felt compelled to:

http://www.telegraph...ching-fish.html

jaclaz

Formfiller

Formfiller

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Even Thurrott gets annoyed by "NuMicrosoft".

http://windowsitpro....ft-hate-it-pros

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,040 posts

A "normal" user (which does have his/her own PIN/password) would have a much easier way to isolate the phone by simply switching it off/removing the battery.

Since the "new" bag has no "window" it is not like some of the forensic bags with which the "offline" functions of the phone can be used.

Thanks for the additional information, jaclaz. I had complete confidence that you would provide it.  :)

I did wonder why not just keep the phone turned off, which is what I normally do anyway. But then it occurred to me that there could be special (political) circumstances :ph34r: where you'd want to keep the phone turned on and available for quick use, but inaccessible by snoops, which is where these bags come into play. Like wearing plate armor, anybody who's involved in these sorts of special circumstances ;) will learn the product's limitations soon enough, and use it with the understanding of where it's most effective.

Time and experience will tell what the "market for privacy" considers the best product at the optimal price. As I see it, the more people who know that these kinds of products exist (thanks to the news media), the quicker we can get to that point. :yes:

--JorgeA

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,077 posts

Like wearing plate armor, anybody who's involved in these sorts of special circumstances  ;) will learn the product's limitations soon enough, and use it with the understanding of where it's most effective.

Well, in the specific case you mention, the moment the user realizes that the product has some limits :w00t: :ph34r: may be a bit late. :whistle:

:lol:

BTW, anyone knows how many "current" members Technet has/had?

The number of subscriptions to the petition cited by Thurrot in the article FormFiller mentioned:

http://windowsitpro....ft-hate-it-pros

around 11,000:

http://www.change.or...rnative-to-msdn

may mean "something" or "nothing at all" depending on th enumber of original Technet subscribers,

As a side note, taken from:

http://technet.micro...s/ms772427.aspx

APOC DELAY

Why haven’t the 90-day subscription extensions been automatically applied to the accounts of customers in the Asia Pacific region?
Subscriber data for our customers in the Asia Pacific region is stored in a different database and the process to extend eligible subscriptions is more complicated. The TechNet Subscriptions team is actively working to provide this extension offer to all eligible subscribers as soon as possible and will send a notification email to subscribers in the Asia Pacific region, once their subscriptions have been extended.

When will subscribers in the Asia Pacific region whose subscriptions expire between September 1, 2013 and September 30, 2014 receive their 90-day extension?
The TechNet subscriptions team will extend eligible subscribers’ subscriptions in the coming weeks and will send a notification email to subscribers in the Asia Pacific region, once their subscriptions have been extended.

Let me get this straight, we are in AD 2013, the most powerful software corporation on Earth, that makes business (or tries to) selling/providing online storage and database solutions to multinational industries/ will need a few weeks to merge/order/whatever the data related to Asia Pacific region subscribers because the data is "stored in different database and the process to extend eligible subscriptions is more complicated" ?

Oww, come off it! 

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz, 04 September 2013 - 10:59 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN