Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Windows 8 - Deeper Impressions

• Please log in to reply
6045 replies to this topic

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,419 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04
A (rhetorical) question being :w00t: :

Are there any limits to the abyss of human perversions?

:ph34r:
Here:
http://www.askvg.com...7-using-newgen/
http://www.nsapps.net/Apps/Newgen/
http://www.hackingun...on-windows.html
;)

O tempora, o mores ....

jaclaz

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,817 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

It doesn't get much funnier than this ...

I thought that they had learned by now to just create a .mpg video and simply play it on the tablet during presentations :whistle: (it's not that difficult to tap on the screen at the right moment ;)).

jaclaz

You mean like this?
http://www.techspot....ins-itself.html
:lol:
MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3-5 | lol probloms
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,419 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

You mean like this?

Exactly :thumbup, but the tricky part is obviously to miss getting caught in doing it ;).

It's just like flying:

The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy has this to say on the subject of flying. There is an art, it says, or rather a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. Pick a nice day, it suggests, and try it. The first part is easy. All it requires is simply the ability to throw yourself forward with all your weight, and the willingness not to mind that it's going to hurt. That is, it's going to hurt if you fail to miss the ground. Most people fail to miss the ground, and if they are really trying properly, the likelihood is that they will fail to miss it fairly hard. Clearly, it's the second point, the missing, which presents the difficulties.

jaclaz

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 6,033 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

Microsoft's new tablet, Surface, freezes during presentation.

I also noticed this when watching the keynote :lol: :lol:
Posted Image

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts
  • Joined 27-November 10
What's even funnier is that it happened just as they opened the new IE :P
Posted Image
Unofficial Service Pack 5.2 for MS Windows 2000 <- use this topic if you need help with UURollup, Update Rollup 2 and other unofficial packages

UltimateSilence

UltimateSilence

• PipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Joined 19-November 11

It doesn't get much funnier than this ...

Microsoft's new tablet, Surface, freezes during presentation.

That's a link to the Wimp.com page with the FLV video. I'll try to embed it here ... Didn't work. You might want to save it in case it disappears (url)

Okay then, it is now also up at YouTube. This should embed here ...

The only thing that would have made that video better is if he had dropped it at 0:29. :ph34r: I'm surprised he didn't!

Windows 8 supposedly to be delievered to manufacturers in July

Perhaps with October GA? Like Windows 7...

yZo4FWG.png
Keep Windows XP alive!

Please do not misconstrue Windows 7 license sales as actual sales of the operating system. PCs are bundled with Windows 7, and count towards the sales figures.
Running Windows Vista on HP Pavilion Slimline.

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,817 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

Windows 8 supposedly to be delievered to manufacturers in July

Perhaps with October GA? Like Windows 7...

I think that is old info. I believe originally that MS wanted to RTM Win8 in July (from January) but that must have changed. There are things on the Connect calendar that are after that July 17-20 period that still predates RTM, although I don't know the exact RTM date either.
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,033 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

also if you watch the Surface Video you see that Ballmer and Sinofsky have charisma of a mummified bread. Ballmer looks like a bear from a circus when he walks on stage and Sinofsky crys all the time to loud :no:

Simply look how Mark Russinovich presents things in videos. He has a great charisma and it always makes fun to watch them :yes:
Posted Image

CoffeeFiend

CoffeeFiend

Coffee Aficionado

• Super Moderator
  • 5,399 posts
  • Joined 14-July 04

Ballmer and Sinofsky have charisma of a mummified bread

That sums it up. Zero charisma. I found they both dressed pretty poorly as well for such a big event. Jeans that look to be 15 years old and an ugly blue sweater? It just comes across as a truly pathetic attempt by an out-of-touch old man to look "cool", kind of like Steve Jobs was to Apple fans (no, we're totally not copying anyone!) At least Bill Gates wore a good looking shirt.

Simply look how Mark Russinovich presents things in videos. He has a great charisma and it always makes fun to watch them :yes:

Yes, and Scott Hanselman's even better. He's one of the best speakers I've ever seen at such events.

This guy says what I think about the presentation better than I can express it: Surface: Between a Rock and a Hardware Place
TL;DR: Huge fail (no specs, nothing works), rushed presentation right before Google presenting their tablet so they won't look like they're just following everybody else.
Coffee: \ˈkȯ-fē, ˈkä-\. noun. Heaven in a cup. Life's only treasure. The meaning of life. Kaffee ist wunderbar. C8H10N4O2 FTW.

JorgeA

JorgeA

FORMAT B: /V /S

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,159 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Also worth reading (off topic):
So, the OEMs make money from installing crapware onto PCs, and now Microsoft is making money removing it. Makes you realize why more and more people are buying Apple hardware.

Glad to see the writer suggest that PC buyers could save themselves the $99 charge by using Decrapifier.

OTOH, he reports that MS would put bloat back into users' computers by installing all sorts of Windows Live software on them.

--JorgeA

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,159 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

This guy says what I think about the presentation better than I can express it: Surface: Between a Rock and a Hardware Place
TL;DR: Huge fail (no specs, nothing works), rushed presentation right before Google presenting their tablet so they won't look like they're just following everybody else.

IMHO, this is the core of that blog post:

The message I took away is that Microsoft has concluded that, ready or not, it needed to move now. There is no longer enough profit to be had selling software alone.

That would be ironic, given that Microsoft first got big because (supposedly) IBM decided back in '79/'80 that the real money was in selling the hardware. (How did that work out for them, ultimately?)

Here's another report of how the OEMs are taking the news about Surface.

To suddenly strike out on its own like this at a time when Windows 8 is in the offing is a strategic misstep, said Ahrens. Microsoft is effectively stepping in front of its own customers and disrupting the hardware ecosystem at the time of a pivotal OS launch.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA, 26 June 2012 - 11:09 PM.

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,159 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10
Paul Thurrott proposes on Windows Weekly that MS leave PC users the choice to install Aero Glass on their Windows 8 systems.

Hear the discussion starting at about 35:23. The key section starts around 39:39, but the historical background that precedes it is worth listening to.

Someone like me, who runs a desktop computer, doesn't care about the battery-life implications of something that doesn't impact them, and I happen to like this look, so maybe I want to run Glass and not whatever this new modern UI is, so -- we'll see, I hope they do that.

I do disagree with his assessment of the "muddy" effect -- that truly became the case only with the Win8 DP and CP, which are hardly translucent at all. A black desktop produces dirty-looking brownish window edges. But not on my Vista machines! :)

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA, 26 June 2012 - 11:33 PM.

helpdesk98

helpdesk98

Junior

• Pip
  • 89 posts
  • Joined 15-September 08
I don't like touch screen. My whole life I was told not to touch the screen (it became even more true with the newer flat screen monitors) now I want no part of it lol.

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,284 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05

That would be ironic, given that Microsoft first got big because (supposedly) IBM decided back in '79/'80 that the real money was in selling the hardware. (How did that work out for them, ultimately?)

Well, to be fair, the (fairly) new Lenovo Windows 7 AMD x64 Desktops are pretty awesome. Cousin bought one for his daughter last year and it rocks!

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,033 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

Here some videos and pictures about the Surface demo with the hanging Metro IE

Posted Image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PNJ56B3Xjc

What does Steve Jobs think about it? :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yySkhtaLKBk
Posted Image

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,159 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Well, to be fair, the (fairly) new Lenovo Windows 7 AMD x64 Desktops are pretty awesome. Cousin bought one for his daughter last year and it rocks!

submix8c,

No doubt Lenovo makes good computers. But that's what I'm saying: it's not IBM anymore.

I remember reading or hearing, at the time of the sale of the PC business to Lenovo, that IBM didn't want to compete in what had become a commoditized (low-profit) PC market.

--JorgeA

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• 2,054 posts
  • Joined 24-September 07
Microsoft: Tablets to outsell PC desktops in 2013

"Could the sales of tablets surpass desktop PCs by the end of 2013? That's the prediction from Antoine Leblond, the head of Windows Web Services at Microsoft. Speaking during the keynote address at Microsoft's annual TechEd Europe conference, Leblond said, "Everything used to be desktops, now 60 percent of PCs sold are laptops. Next year, tablets will outsell desktops.""

Meanwhile in other breaking news, screwdrivers continue to outsell hammers, and cars continue to outsell trucks.

Microsoft Windows 8 : it lets you play games like Angry Birds! Seriously.

... Let him who hath understanding reckon the Number Of The Beast ...

xpclient

xpclient

XP was my idea. 3rd party apps make NT6 my idea.

• PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Joined 30-July 05
The solution to everyone's troubles would be use the Windows editions to differentiate more on advanced-ness of feature set. Windows 8 for dumb people and grandmas. Windows 8 Pro for professionals who want every possible tweak and setting and can't tolerate any lack of customization. Now will the morons in the User Experience team ever get this? It might take a few more releases of Windows to fail before the idiots possibly realize that dumbing down is not good for everyone. As long as current dumb and arrogant management is in charge, I don't see it happening. Sadly, XP or even Windows 7 support may not last that long by the time the idiots realize that computers shouldn't be all about grandmas and less intelligent people who only play Cut the Rope and Farmville.

Edited by xpclient, 27 June 2012 - 11:50 AM.

Impossible to run NT6 without third party fixes.

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• 2,054 posts
  • Joined 24-September 07
Opinion: Is Windows 8 Worth $15 for New PC Owners?

Pretty good article from Tom's Hardware on the known current information about Windows 8 pricing. It also details the pricing for the last four Windows releases, WinME, WinXP, Vista, and Win7. Near as I can tell this $14.99 cost is the lowest one ever offered since at least the Win3.x era ...

"For mere pocket change, you can reserve a copy of the fancy new OS, which will be a modern version of the Windows 95 concept from 1994. Of course, it’s a matter of perception whether $15 is a great offer or not. There is no doubt, though, that it is another brilliant marketing and sales strategy.

The upgrade offer is in effect now and will continue until January 31, 2013. Windows 8 Pro can be purchased for a mere $14.99 by those who will be buying a “qualifying Windows 7 PC” in the near future. There is no such upgrade option for those who bought a Windows 7 PC prior to June 2. (Such upgrades are a tradition at Microsoft.) Microsoft made the announcement that the revenue derived from such a program will be deferred to the next quarter in order to compensate for a possible dip in OEM revenues – in this case, lower seasonal Q1 sales."

As mentioned previously upthead, this $14.99 price tag is not the cheapest way to go. You can go even lower! See here ...

"As we have reported before, people who purchase their new Windows 7 PCs from a Microsoft Store retail location will reportedly also get some extra benefits for their $14.99 Windows 8 upgrade. That includes invites to free Windows 8 workshops and a $20 Microsoft Store gift card if they participate in the program, which basically covers the cost of the Windows 8 upgrade with $4.99 to spare".

All we need now is a late night commercial with Ballmer doing the Crazy Eddie sales pitch!

Microsoft Windows 8 : Prices so low, we're practically giving it away!

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,419 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

Meanwhile in other breaking news, screwdrivers continue to outsell hammers, and cars continue to outsell trucks.

Which prompts obviously for a random meanwhile picture....:
Spoiler

...but the whole point still being, IF to produce screws hammers are used, and no hammer is produced anymore, once existing hammers will have worn out, it will be not possible to make anymore any screw, and the use of screwdrivers will drop.....

I found they both dressed pretty poorly as well for such a big event. Jeans that look to be 15 years old and an ugly blue sweater? It just comes across as a truly pathetic attempt by an out-of-touch old man to look "cool", kind of like Steve Jobs was to Apple fans (no, we're totally not copying anyone!) At least Bill Gates wore a good looking shirt.

Let me disagree, the way someone is dressed has nothing to do with charisma, dressing like that is simply (and IMHO) a form of lack of respect towards the audience :w00t: :ph34r: and it is in this case in perfect agreement with the actual project presented:
NO respect for the users/customers! :realmad:

jaclaz

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,159 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

The solution to everyone's troubles would be use the Windows editions to differentiate more on advanced-ness of feature set. Windows 8 for dumb people and grandmas. Windows 8 Pro for professionals who want every possible tweak and setting and can't tolerate any lack of customization. Now will the morons in the User Experience team ever get this? It might take a few more releases of Windows to fail before the idiots possibly realize that dumbing down is not good for everyone. As long as current dumb and arrogant management is in charge, I don't see it happening. Sadly, XP or even Windows 7 support may not last that long by the time the idiots realize that computers shouldn't be all about grandmas and less intelligent people who only play Cut the Rope and Farmville.

ROFL -- I loved the way you highlighted your points with the strategic use of illustrations! :lol: :D

--JorgeA

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,159 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Microsoft: Tablets to outsell PC desktops in 2013

"Could the sales of tablets surpass desktop PCs by the end of 2013? That's the prediction from Antoine Leblond, the head of Windows Web Services at Microsoft. Speaking during the keynote address at Microsoft's annual TechEd Europe conference, Leblond said, "Everything used to be desktops, now 60 percent of PCs sold are laptops. Next year, tablets will outsell desktops.""

I'd like to know what they're smoking over at Redmond, must be some really good stuff. It seems to have enhanced the, umm, "imaginative" powers of most of the MS top brass.

--JorgeA

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,817 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

Pretty good article from Tom's Hardware on the known current information about Windows 8 pricing. It also details the pricing for the last four Windows releases, WinME, WinXP, Vista, and Win7. Near as I can tell this $14.99 cost is the lowest one ever offered since at least the Win3.x era ...

This is totally wrong. This isn't the same as previous versions of Windows Upgrade Version, which is cheaper than buying the full OS. The cheapest one was when MS did this for people buying XP prior to Vista RTM, where people got a little card/voucher for a FREE upgrade. So that one takes the cake. :rolleyes:
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,159 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

This is totally wrong. This isn't the same as previous versions of Windows Upgrade Version, which is cheaper than buying the full OS. The cheapest one was when MS did this for people buying XP prior to Vista RTM, where people got a little card/voucher for a FREE upgrade. So that one takes the cake. :rolleyes:

Yeah, it was the same when Windows 7 came out. When I bought my Vista laptop in September '09, I had the option to send for discs from HP to upgrade the OS to Win7. I could be wrong, but I don't remember being asked to pay anything for the upgrade. (I got the discs, but I decided not to install Win7 on the laptop when I saw how plain-vanilla the new OS looked in comparison to Vista.)

--JorgeA

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• 2,054 posts
  • Joined 24-September 07
Microsoft killed the start button because it wasn't used - NeoWin

Microsoft: You Are the Reason Why We Killed the Start Menu - Tom's Hardware

Microsoft employee explains decision to scrap the Start button - TechSpot

"Chaitanya Sareen, principal program manager at Microsoft, said that "We’d seen the trend in Windows 7" that users were no longer using the start button but instead pinning applications to the task bar:

" When we evolved the taskbar we saw awesome adoption of pinning [applications] on the taskbar. We are seeing people pin like crazy. And so we saw the Start menu usage dramatically dropping, and that gave us an option. We’re saying 'look, Start menu usage is dropping, what can we do about it? What can we do with the Start menu to revive it, to give it some new identity, give it some new power?""

Meanwhile in other breaking news, Ford, Mercedes, Audi and Porsche have noted declining usage of the space-wasting included spare tire thanks to data collected from their Customer Experience Improvement Program. Spokesmen for the companies say that most users have never even touched the spare tire and many do not even know that it is there or could even find it if they wanted to. 'Our research indicates that we can vastly improve their fast and fluid experience by removing this useless legacy application'. No word if other auto manufacturers will follow suit. :D

All kidding aside, Microsoft is flat out lying again as usual. This was an arrogant design decision with a feeble attempt later to disguise that fact with numbers and no-one should ever believe Microsoft when they cite numbers. For one simple proof that their usage statistics are bogus just consider that the only people being tracked are those that are too stup er inexperienced to opt-out, so the experts and power users are not even present in the sample in any numbers.

For an even more obvious proof just make a list of Windows accessories that are rarely used by those same users in their alleged sample. Backup, CharMap, Remote Assistance, Synchronize, all manner of Administrative Tools, the list is endless. For every click that these accessories receive, the Start Menu probably receives a hundred or a thousand or more. Following their logic almost everything shipped with Windows should disappear. What's next, maybe Windows will use the data in the ADD/Remove or Programs and Features and automatically delete the 'Rarely Used' items.

The real data would show a ranking from most used to least used with the bulk of Windows accessories near the bottom and the Start Menu of course above them. To remove the Start Menu but not all other less-used items proves the arrogance and willingness to lie from Team B&S.

EDIT: added two more links to main article.

Microsoft Windows 8 : Sesame Street Edition designed by children for children

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot, 28 June 2012 - 04:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN