Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Windows 8 - Deeper Impressions

• Please log in to reply
5730 replies to this topic

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Did you ever think you'd see a headline like this?  :o

Yes, absolutely, since minutes after I downloaded the first Windows 8 developer preview back in 2011.

-Noel

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 13,994 posts

Hahaha!  :D

Just for the record, Vista's :wub:  insignificant/irrelevant market share is still twice that of Linux, the most self-important OS in the history of the universe.

Well, to be fair, the netmarket share monitors OS's that are used to browse the Internet, it is entirely possibly that there are vast numbers of installed OS's NOT used to browse the 'net, so almost *anything* that is used on Servers is not (including all "Server Editions of Windows and a large number of Linux installs) and as well a vast number of "non-browsing" installed OS's are possible and are not in any way part of the "survey":

http://www.netmarket...spx#Methodology

So, speaking of Linux as "self-important OS", we will need to fork between "Desktop Linux uses" and "Non-Desktop Linux uses".

By the same token, for all we know it is possible that Server 2012 R2, possibly in the "Server core edition" (please read with the good things, but without the N.C.I. ;)) is selling fine.

jaclaz

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts
... which is crazy.

I will need some opinion from mother tongue English speaking people to understand if the "which is crazy" is referred to the decision of not jumping on the (also sinking BTW) "new OS" or to the "new OS" itself.

Seems to me they're referring to the increase in XP's market share, much like saying "these are crazy times".

-Noel

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 13,994 posts

Strangely :unsure: something On Topic:

http://betanews.com/...g-of-windows-9/

Though I concur with the fact that the letter by Satya Nadella:

http://www.microsoft.../ceo/index.html

"is intended as a rallying cry but lacks anything close to substance", I find it containing a "strong statement" about the world we live in (possibly Redmond - or Seattle - or the State of Washington is a tadbit different):

We live in a mobile-first and cloud-first world. Computing is ubiquitous and experiences span devices and exhibit ambient intelligence. Billions of sensors, screens and devices – in conference rooms, living rooms, cities, cars, phones, PCs – are forming a vast network and streams of data that simply disappear into the background of our lives. This computing power will digitize nearly everything around us and will derive insights from all of the data being generated by interactions among people and between people and machines. We are moving from a world where computing power was scarce to a place where it now is almost limitless, and where the true scarce commodity is increasingly human attention.

and also a "strong statement" on the intentions of the MS guys:

We will create more natural human-computing interfaces that empower all individuals. We will develop and deploy secure platforms and infrastructure that enable all industries. And we will strike the right balance between using data to create intelligent, personal experiences, while maintaining security and privacy. By doing all of this, we will have the broadest impact.

judging on the experience on how they lately accomplished their goal of a "more natural human-computing interfaces" and how they(according to the German and Chinese governments) succeeded at "maintaining security and privacy", it will be interesting to see if the actual new OS will go anywhere near fulfilling these promises.

jaclaz

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Mission statements...  Meh.  From my experience, usually that means the organization is incapable, so they feel they have to talk the talk.  Think Dilbert.

There's been altogether too much blah blah blah BS and WAY too little actual engineering lately.

-Noel

vinifera

vinifera

<°)))><

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

dunno if anyone here watches betanews

but it seems a alpha build of 9 is leaking

tho 2 louzy screenies given to me look fake

and theres harsh debate at MDL it is fake

even though WZOR did announce soon leak

---