Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Windows 8 - Deeper Impressions

• Please log in to reply
6038 replies to this topic

JorgeA

JorgeA

FORMAT B: /V /S

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,153 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Paul Thurrott has issued a series of analyses of the Threshold screenshots and videos leaked last week:

Windows 9 Technical Preview Screenshots Leak: An Analysis (Part 1)

Windows 9 Technical Preview Screenshots Leak: An Analysis (Part 2)

Windows 9 Technical Preview Video Leaks: An Analysis

Windows 9 Technical Preview Virtual Desktops and Notification Center Video Leaks: An Analysis

--JorgeA

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,153 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Another casualtuy from the Win8 disaster? In Windows Weekly 375, a discussion of the future of Windows RT:

Mary Jo: ...Up until now it was not legal and really not technically feasible to put Windows Phone OS on a tablet. But as of this release it is. I am going to be super curious if any of their OEM’s do this.

Leo: You know why this is interesting. This back up the contention you and Paul have been making for months now. That RT is essentially going to be replaced by Windows Phone.

Mary Jo: Pretty much, they claim. Well I shouldn’t say they claim anything because they haven’t haven’t talked about what they are going to do with Threshold. But from what we’ve heard and from what our sources have claimed. We have heard they are going to somehow munge together the Windows RT and Windows Phone OS and make this thing that will run on both. But I have a feeling and I’ve always thought it would be more Windows Phone that it would be Windows RT. Although I can’t prove that.

Leo: How do we feel about that? I think that’s good. I like Windows Phone. You can’t run Office on it right? Is that the big deal about Windows RT? Can you?

[...]

Leo: Oh that makes sense. Do it all at once. Does this mean the end of the line for RT? Can we call it?

Mary Jo: You choked me up on that one.

Daniel: I like RT but honestly consumers have sort of spoken on it. I think conceptually it was not a bad idea but the naming scheme was not executed well. Everybody mentions this, if the RT tablets didn’t even have desktop access it would have been a lot clearer message. But I think if Microsoft can reduce their operating systems from Windows 8 and just have Windows Phone version that could basically run on tablets. Just have those 2, I think that makes it a lot easier message to send to users.

--JorgeA

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,153 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

I rarely have more than 5 or 6 browsers open at once.  And when I do go beyond that and get extreme, the Taskbar just gathers them all into one button.

I do research things.  As I mentioned above I don't use open tabs to keep track of things.  I guess I'm just more serial about it, and I'm pretty good about closing windows when I'm done with them.

As an exercise I did open about 100 IE windows once, each one navigated to a different site from my favorites list.  Not too far past 100 some resource got exhausted and they all crashed out.  It's a bit ludicrous to be able to exceed anything on a big system like mine.

Oh, and I run almost no add-ons.

-Noel

Yeah, combining windows under one Taskbar button is a feature I've never cared for, I prefer to have as many as possible displayed at the same time, or under tabs for quick-and-easy organization. With the combination list, I find it harder to keep track of the order in which I opened them and it's harder to navigate to the ones toward the bottom of the list. Last night there was one particular tab that I had to keep going back to, it was like the third-to-last one, and it was annoying to have to slowly scroll down that combination list over and over again.

FWIW, I don't like icons (hieroglyphics), so one of the first things I do on a new PC is to bring back the old-style Taskbar buttons with text that actually says something. Thumbnails are useful IMX, too.

--JorgeA

TELVM

TELVM

• PipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Joined 09-February 12

TELVM, you're saying if they didn't pull a miracle out of their... hats and make a Windows 9 that was actually more useful than Windows 7 you wouldn't try it? ...

I already wasted ~25 minutes on Tiles 8 back in 2012. From what I see in the leaked screenshots & videos I doubt I'll even try '9'.

... What happens when the poor slobs who keep saving Microsoft's butt get too old to tweak the latest Windows any more, and no one's left who remembers the golden age and how computers once could be made to do just what you want and look nice doing it? ...

Nature abhors a vacuum. If Microsoft quits releasing real OSes, someone else will fill the niche.

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,814 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

Mary Jo: ...Up until now it was not legal and really not technically feasible to put Windows Phone OS on a tablet. But as of this release it is.

So finally, after a couple years they will give RT to OEMs? They gave everyone who had Server 2012 (and R2) the ability to PXE boot ARM devices but never gave anyone the OS to deploy to it. :rolleyes:

MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3-5 | lol probloms
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts
  • Joined 08-April 13

Yeah, combining windows under one Taskbar button is a feature I've never cared for

Taskbar buttons with text that actually says something. Thumbnails are useful IMX, too.

The takeaway from this little sub-conversation is that we differ in the way we combine UI features to reach our goals.  We don't really work the "Windows" way, we have developed over time a "Jorge" way and a "Noel" way.  I imagine either of us, if placed suddenly in front of the other's computer, might struggle for a while to get our bearings - as though it were a completely foreign system.  We would certainly be sorely tempted to reconfigure it.

Up until a few years ago, it was considered a Good Thing to be able to customize one's work environment to work the way you like.  There's a certain (recurring) pleasure in having your system set up to be just so.

Now the options are systematically being removed, with the clear intent to herd us all into one way, which presumably was the darling of some twisted mind at Microsoft a few years ago.  THIS attempt at "herding" cuts to the heart of why Microsoft is failing!

Anyone noticed that if you go to McDonald's you can actually ask them to make whatever you order your way?

-Noel

Edited by NoelC, 18 September 2014 - 09:13 AM.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,401 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

Anyone noticed that if you go to McDonald's you can actually ask them to make whatever you order your way?

Yeah, sure, you can have "regular" and "maxi" fries, and Big Mac or QuarterPound, besides "small", "medium" and "large" beverage.

Try asking for a well-done hamburger, with added onions, without salad but with some added tomato and cheese. :w00t:

McDonalds is not a good example :no:.

The actual "secret" of the success of McDonalds lies in "standardization" which is not, in itself a bad thing, but you have the choice to go one day to McDonalds, another day to a Chinese restaurant, another day to an Italian one, etc., what you can be pretty sure about is that you can get the same "standard" food no matter if you go to a McDonald's in the US or (say) in Germany.

Not specifically McDonald's, BUT:

jaclaz

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts
  • Joined 08-April 13

You're missing the point - you CAN order special things at McDonalds now.  There was a time they wouldn't be able to handle it.  But they've quietly changed to be more flexible for the few customers who prefer specific changes.  Maybe it's an individual store thing, but I've seen it happen first hand.

-Noel

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,814 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

It was always Burger King's tagline, but I suspect most fast food chains would not reject a special order. For example, try ordering a mix-up... such as one of the specialty burger but tell them to use the chicken or fish patties instead. I am not certain what that reaction would be or if they would say they could do it. Or you can just make your own special meal by ordering the plain hamburger and then one of the BBQ sauce they usually sell with the nuggets. :w00t:

MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3-5 | lol probloms
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,153 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Yeah, combining windows under one Taskbar button is a feature I've never cared for

Taskbar buttons with text that actually says something. Thumbnails are useful IMX, too.

The takeaway from this little sub-conversation is that we differ in the way we combine UI features to reach our goals.  We don't really work the "Windows" way, we have developed over time a "Jorge" way and a "Noel" way.  I imagine either of us, if placed suddenly in front of the other's computer, might struggle for a while to get our bearings - as though it were a completely foreign system.  We would certainly be sorely tempted to reconfigure it.

Up until a few years ago, it was considered a Good Thing to be able to customize one's work environment to work the way you like.  There's a certain (recurring) pleasure in having your system set up to be just so.

Now the options are systematically being removed, with the clear intent to herd us all into one way, which presumably was the darling of some twisted mind at Microsoft a few years ago.  THIS attempt at "herding" cuts to the heart of why Microsoft is failing!

-Noel

Yup, I agree! User choice is one of the things that's made Windows such a fabulous platform over the years, and no doubt contributed to its success. We're not restricted to doing things the one way that some cubicle dweller decided is best for everybody.

I'm encouraged by some of the backtracking Microsoft seems to be doing with Windows 9. Time (and experimenting with it, and the feedback MSFT gets) will determine whether it turns out to be as good for users as Windows 7. I would settle for a Win7 relaunch with some of the new features they're talking about for Threshold. :)

--JorgeA

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,153 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

It was always Burger King's tagline, but I suspect most fast food chains would not reject a special order. For example, try ordering a mix-up... such as one of the specialty burger but tell them to use the chicken or fish patties instead. I am not certain what that reaction would be or if they would say they could do it. Or you can just make your own special meal by ordering the plain hamburger and then one of the BBQ sauce they usually sell with the nuggets. :w00t:

LOL, can I have ketchup and mustard on my salad? :D

--JorgeA

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,153 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Microsoft is closing its research lab in Silicon Valley

Earlier today, Microsoft confirmed that it had cut an additional 2100 employees and it looks like some of those individuals were based in Silicon Valley at the company's research center. According to Derek Murray, whose tweet is posted below, his office is being shut down and the last day of operation will be tomorrow.

The office is located in Mountain View, California and has been around since 2001. According to the office's website, the lab was focused on "distributed computing and includes privacy, security, protocols, fault-tolerance, large-scale systems, concurrency, computer architecture, Internet search and services, and related theory".

I wonder if the layoffs include the crack research team that told Julie Larsen-Green that "telemetry" indicated that people didn't need the Start Menu...

--JorgeA

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts
  • Joined 08-April 13

Or the Windows Backup facility.

-Noel

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,401 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

I wonder if the layoffs include the crack research team that told Julie Larsen-Green that "telemetry" indicated that people didn't need the Start Menu...

JorgeA, don't take it the wrong way :), but you clearly have no idea on how things go in a company like MS.

Julie Larsen-Green (or any other self-proclaimed UI guru in the high ranks of MS) decided that people didn't need the Start Menu and later used (real or faked) telemetry data to support the theory.

jaclaz

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN